PDA

View Full Version : Varisian Multi-game:CotCT IC

Pages : [1] 2 3

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-18, 03:04 PM
Come children, gather round, night has fallen and the stars are right for a story. A story of magic and monsters, of intrigue and daring, of insidious villains and valiant heroes. Let me tell you a story of the great city of Korvosa, the jewel of the river, and its curse, the Curse of the Crimson Throne! This is a true city, not a village or walled town, but a sprawling vastness, teaming with people, of all races and walks of life, from perfumed nobles to lowly fish mongers, and about it all the huge pyramid fortress of Castle Korvosa, where King Eodred II sits the Crimson throne with his beautiful Chelish wife Queen Ileosa. Below it all is a seedy underbelly, thieves who would rob their own mother blind, and cut throats that will take your life, or anyone else's, for the right price. And a man who enslaves children to do his dirty work... Gaedren Lamm, a man without a conscience, who always manages to stay one step ahead of the law, who has managed to hurt and anger each of our heroes in one way or another...
None of our valiant adventurers have met, but their stories start similarly, all of them have come to Korvosa to find Gaedren Lamm, and all have been fruitless in their efforts... and all of them have just found something odd...

In the back room of a tavern, fierce looking Hardek Halfear sits alone. The stoic Dwarf has been stewing over his thoughts, dismayed by his failings, and has turned to drink. After an hour and his 3rd tankard of thick brown ale, he brings his mug to his lips to find... a card in his cup, and no ale at all.

It is a black day in Korvosa, the rain pouring down, the sky thick with clouds as far as the eye can see, the sun trying feebly to shed any light at all to the city. Fortunately for Amanda Lorian, known as Kestral or Kes, the rain slicks off her coat, almost as if it is afraid to be near her for too long, not unlike the feeling most people get when they meet her gaze. The shopkeeper she is buying her supplies from is feeling the full effect of that gaze, and he is eager to be rid of her, and as she reaches into her purse to pay, she finds something that should not be, a card... how could it have gotten there, she was well aware of pick pockets and cutpurses but who would slip something onto her person?

Being no stranger to the elements, Merik Tis'raith's sleep is untroubled by the pouring rain, unfortunately for him it is troubled by burning need, for he is a man, or rather a half-elf on a mission, revenge. Merik hunts Gaedren Lamm for the death of his love but his efforts are futile and his labors bear only fruits of frustration, leaving his sleep fitful at best, but somehow this night sleep comes easy, and he dreams of victory. But upon waking, he discovers something off... a card has been stuck to his brow.

This black day reflects the mood of our last adventurer perfectly. Anthony Drex, paladin of Iomedae, all golden hair and good looks, disgraced, ostracised... framed. Unbeknownst to him, Anthony had gotten closer than any of our other adventurers to Gaedren Lamm, he had seen him with his own two eyes. Fortunately for Gaedren, the good Mr. Drex had no idea who he was and wasn't even looking for him, but Lamm has not been able to stay ahead of the law by being careless, and had some of his little lamms follow Anthony back to his cell in the temple, where they planted gold and stolen goods, and before long Anthony was out on the streets. After a time Anthony came up with the name of Gaedren Lamm, so he set out to clear his name. Other than the name, Anthony has been without luck and has been trying to clear his mind the best way he knows how, with routine, meticulously cleaning his clothing, shining his boots, he procured a barrel of sand so he could place his armor inside, rolling it around the court yard of this inn to scour it clean and shine it bright, but none of these things could dispel the doubt in his mind, and his heart. He head up stairs to his room, sits on his cot and draws his sword and reaches for his whetstone in its pouch, but inside the pouch he finds a card that was not there the day before...

The cards are the size of playing cards, but these are clearly not for gambling, the images they bear do not resemble any that one would find on deck that our adventurers know of...

Hardek's card bares an angel, clad in plate and tabard, spear in one hand blowing a horn in the other, with an inscription that reads "The Trumpet"

Kestral holds a card with a lady of water and a man of flame embracing, holding a child of steam, with a mark that reads, "The Marriage"

While Anthony's card shows a man in resplendent armor and a winged helm, one hand on his sword, the other out stretched in friendship, baring the fitting title "The Paladin"

in Merik's hand he holds a card called "The Big Sky" showing a scraggly bearded man and an elfin woman both in ragged clothing, the man's hands raised up above his head, outstretched towards the sun, with crumbling chains hanging from his manacled wrists.

The backs of the cards are all the same, a floral print bordered in scroll work with a symbol on its back, though on each it is marred with writing...
reading
"I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like you will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done."

North_Ranger
2012-12-18, 03:24 PM
Hardek eyes the card suspiciously. Weeks of asking around, digging up clues, trying to enlist help from the local dwarves and people friendly to the Halfear clan... all that had been about as useful as pasting oneself with strawberry jam and singing naked in the market square.

And now, all of a sudden, a card telling him that help is available to find his quarry.

If something seems too good to be true, it usually is, the dwarven ranger muses as he flips the card between his fingers. Yet this was the best clue he had found since making his way into Korvosa. A week or two more and he would have to leave the city, and the bastard Lamm would get off scot free.

It would be wisest to let such an obvious trap pass... but Lamm had to pay for the humiliation he had visited on Hardek's kinfolk. And a Halfear always pays his debts.

Cursing under his breath, Hardek tucks the card inside his sleeve and finishes his drink. Tossing a dwarven silver piece to the bartender, he makes his way back to his room to check and oil his equipment. If this tip was legit, he would soon get his chance to put an arrow in Lamm's eye... or better yet, an axe through his brainpan.

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-19, 01:00 PM
the barman eyes the foreign coin with suspicion, bounces it off the counter and then pulls a silver mark out from behind the bar and tests its heft against the dwarven coin, he seems satisfied but still mutters under his breath
"Bloody Dwarves"

North_Ranger
2012-12-19, 02:12 PM
Two hours before sunset, Hardek sets out from the inn. He pulls his hood tighter against his head, to shield his messy hair and beard from the pounding rain. Deciding to prepare for the worst, the trapper has girded his loins with his trusty pair of weapons, an axe and a maulaxe, both of dwarven make. His shortbow he has strapped to his back as he walks out into the rain, his callused fingers rubbing against the geometric patterns carved into the blades of his weapons. If this was indeed a trap, as he suspected, he would not make himself an easy prey.

As he nears the address he was given, Hardek smells the air, his eyes flitting from one rooftop to another, from one corner to another... If he is indeed alone, he intends to make himself invisible in the rainy night.

Perception: [roll0]

Stealth: [roll1]

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-19, 02:41 PM
With the rain washing in sheets down the streets and alleyways visibility is some what limited, but Hardek sees a few people scurrying by, not paying the steel eyed dwarf much mind,

as Hardek slips into the shadows, he believes he is pretty sneaky

Angstrom
2012-12-21, 06:34 PM
The door to 3 Lancet Street is thrown open with a loud crash.

Silhouetted by the setting sun, Kes scans the room. A hand rests on the crossbow on her hip, the other clenched firmly around an ornate steel key.

North_Ranger
2012-12-22, 04:32 AM
As Kes stands in the doorway, there is an audible thud next to her head as a sturdy arrow embeds itself in the door frame.

"That's a warning shot!" comes out a call from somewhere behind her. "I'm not in the habit of shooting a man in the back. Drop 'em and turn around, or Lamm gets you back with some new holes!"

In the alley, Hardek nocks another arrow, preparing to fire again. Whoever his benefactor is, he... she... it? has clearly been found by Gaedren Lamm, seeing how there's an enforcer breaking through the doorway. The only reason the human is still breathing is because Hardek wishes to question him, not kill him. Yet.

Angstrom
2012-12-24, 01:13 AM
Whirling around in the doorway, Amanda's gaze locks on the dwarf. "You think you can take me back to your boss? Try it. See how far you get, but see if you don't find yourself taking three square meals a day in Longacre. So run on home to your boss. Tell Lamm it'll take more than a soggy dwarf to stop me from coming after him."

A set up then. A lot of work getting the card to her for such an underwhelming ambush. Easier to shiv her in the market instead of planting the card on her. Her right hand flexed reflexively, ready to draw her holstered crossbow. Where would the rest of Lamm's lackeys be hiding?

North_Ranger
2012-12-24, 05:43 AM
"My... boss? You think I work for that scum?" Hardek asks, looking quizzical all of a sudden. Still, he keeps his bow up. This could still be some trick. But then it hits him... Others like you will be there.

"Show me the card. Nice and easy."

Thattaman
2012-12-24, 06:26 AM
Anthony can't believe his luck. "A lead." He mutters to himself as a smile cracks his face in half. He arrives third in that house. Two others are there. He has his longsword drawn and shield in his other hand. He looks them up and down. "Greetings, I am Anthony Drex, paladin of Iomedae and I have been wronged by Lamm, I believe you two have as well. I swear on my honour that I am not a trap and I will not kill you, can you make the same promise?" He draws his card, 'The Paladin' and shows the others. "Do you have the same card as I?"

Hypertext
2012-12-24, 06:44 PM
Merik

Merik awakes to the steady thrum of rain striking his face and finds a card stuck to his head. What the...? hmmm

With that Merik stands and packs his bedroll in a calm and calculated fashion. He then grabs a piece of jerky from his pouch and starts to find his way to 3 Lancet. Once there Merik stashes his pack and unneeded goods in a crawlspace under a nearby building. He begins his pre fight routine and slowly dons his cestus and tightens his boots. Preparations complete he is ready for action. Upon entering the room he realizes that he is later to the party then he intended but it seems that his target isn't here. Damnit he slipped through my fingers again! Gah! Merik paces with obvious frustration Are you all after him to? Are you hear to make him pay as I am? He says as he slumps down in the nearest chair. With that he throws his card on the table. Is this what you are looking for Paladin?

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-24, 07:07 PM
Inside, the house is simply furnished, with a few wall hangings depicting birds in flight, a sunrise and butterflies, with the only thing of interest being a long table with 5 chairs, a rock holding down a sheet of paper and a cloth covered basket underneath

Thattaman
2012-12-26, 11:29 AM
Anthony takes the card that Merik offers him. "Yes, that is what I was talking about. I am here to make him pay. The man who killed my parents and put me through the six most hellish years of my life. So if none of you sent me this card, then who did?" Anthony sheathes his blade and sits down then looks inside the basket on the floor with caution. "This could still be a trap, from what I have learned of Lamm, he kills his victims quickly before they can get to him. I've been hunting him since I left prison, which is two years. This may be a personal question but how have you been wronged by Lamm? He took away my family and I have never forgiven him.

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-26, 12:09 PM
Inside the basket are several bottles of wine, bread, hard cheese, cured meat, and a flagon of cold water.

under the stone on the table a note reads
"Thank you for coming. I had to step out for a bit, but shall return shortly. Please, have a seat while you wait. the basket under the table contains food and drink for you all to share.
~Z~"

Thattaman
2012-12-26, 12:31 PM
Anthony reads the note and then takes a small sip of the wine. He then scans the room with detect evil.

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-26, 01:10 PM
your detect evil shows nothing of significant evil
but as your magic courses through your eyes you see a figure, though again not evil, enter the door way
a tall dusky woman, scarf around her head, arms, neck and what little of her chest you can see is covered in tattoos, in her ears she wears long dangling earrings and and in her right ear a ring with a golden chain that runs along the side of her face to a similar ring in her nose, the chain is covered with tiny medallions

"Ah... you've all arrived, please, have a seat, enjoy my board... But first, i think you all have something of mine... something small"

she moves around the table, behind the one lone chair with the other four chairs across the table from her.

Thattaman
2012-12-26, 01:59 PM
"Are you the woman who sent me this message?" He asks as he shows her his Harrow Card.

Hypertext
2012-12-26, 02:21 PM
Merik

Obviously deflated Merik says "Ah I'm sorry friend Paladin I meant no offense. My frustration and anger get the best of me. Lamm took from me the only thing that i loved in this world and I will make him pay for his crimes. It seems like we have all been wronged by him in some way." Merik slumps further into his chair. When the strange woman enters he sits up in his chair and watches the exchange between Anthony and the stranger intently.

North_Ranger
2012-12-26, 02:24 PM
Perplexed by the sudden influx of people not phased by his and the human woman's stand-off, Hardek sullenly stashes his bow and walks inside. He sniffs at the wine suspiciously but allows his glass to be filled as he wolfs down some bread.

The strange woman's arrival, however, makes him uneasy. Nonetheless, he pulls out the playing card from his sleeve. "Here. Now can we please quit this sorry, bleedin'-heart jabbering and get to business? Who are you, first of all?"

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-26, 08:53 PM
"Well seeing as this is my home and you all are my guests i suppose it would be polite to introduce myself and tell you why I invited you here. My friends, my name is Zellara and I thank you for putting up with my unconventional method of contacting you. I have good reason to keep myself out of the public eye...
A truly terrible man, who would see great harm done to me if he knew i was seeking help to hurry his down fall. This is a man you all know, for he has wronged each of you, one way or another. I speak of Caurse, of Gaedren Lamm, whose cruelty and capacity to make a ruin of the lives of those he touches is matched only by his gift at evading the reach of the law. A year ago this day, his thieves stole this...
from a pouch on Zellara's belt, she draws a deck of cards that look very familiar, she begins to shuffle the cards she retrieved from the party back in, her movements deft, clearly something she's done thousands of times before...
"my Harrow deck. It is important to me, an heirloom passed down through a dozen generations, and also my sole means of income and support. When Lamm's pickpockets stole it, my son Eran tracked them down, but not before they were able to do the same to him, they slit his throat for his trouble.
I asked the Guard to help, but all they told me was that Lamm is a wanted man, but that no one could find him. So I looked for information elsewhere, spending time in the dark places, asking around, paying bribes, and i consulted my Harrow deck, until one day i was rewarded... I found him
But before I tell you, I must be sure of your hearts, you must swear to help me, for i cannot have you turn me over to Lamm, that would be a fate worse than death. So i need your help, and know that i have exhausted every option, the law works too slowly, and Lamm twists out of their grasp like water through your fingers. I need you to go where they cannot, to do what they cannot. I need you to do what must be done, and bring this man to justice...
As Zellara reaches the end of her speech she stands, knocking her chair back, and leans over the table, hands on either side of her harrow deck, gazing into each of your eyes, one by one.

Angstrom
2012-12-27, 01:54 AM
A retort dies in her throat at the flood of newcomers. Staring at the dwarf with the bow, she her eyebrows raise as she is confronted with the verbose pair. When it becomes clear the dwarf has just as little idea of what's going on as she does, she shrugs and rises from her combat stance. Not agents of Lamm's then. A motley gathering of grudge-bearing tough-types in need of clues.

Archery wasn't a common skill in this city, but he looked to solid to be a longterm resident of Korvosa. His speech held no hint of a drunken slur and, though his appearance was wild, it was not the look of the city. The knight bearing the card of the paladin has the typical demeanor of one too trustworthy for his own good. No lies from that one. The final stranger, sylvan by the look of him, speaks of a inconclusive hunt for Lamm; something with which she had become intimately familiar in these last few days. Maybe adding what he knew to what she had already uncovered could put the final pieces together.

Safe to enter then. Any risk to her is outweighed by the need to find Felicity. With her mind made up, she follows them in.

"my Harrow deck. It is important to me, an heirloom passed down through a dozen generations, and also my sole means of income and support. When Lamm's pickpockets stole it, my son Eran tracked them down, but not before they were able to do the same to him, they slit his throat for his trouble"

Standing behind a chair in the small room, Amanda's face drains of colour when she hears of Eran's fate. "I'm so sorry..." she mumbles as her mind goes to Felicity's fate. No, what would Theandra do without her daughter? She had to be alive.

As Zellara reveals her knowledge of Lamm's location, her attention is focussed once more. "I will do what must be done. I will do whatever you ask if you lead me to Lamm. Please," she begs, "tell me."

Thattaman
2012-12-27, 04:17 AM
"Lamm is truly a monster who deserves nothing less than death. I will kill him for you, for all of you. What man would kill someone for looking for a Harrow deck? The same man who blames the children for their parents death. The same man who enslaves children and forces them to become criminals. He must taste justice! But, Miss.Zellara, how did you manage to not only identify us, but send us these cards?"

North_Ranger
2012-12-27, 05:49 AM
Hardek takes one disapproving look at the paladin. The man talks too much, at least in the opinion of the taciturn dwarf. He swallows the piece of bread he was chewing and takes another look at the Harrow reader. "If your lead's solid, I'm in. Lamm has a prescription for an axe in the head, and I mean to deliver. But if this is a trap, I'm going to come back and take out my frustrations on ya, fancy-schmancy deck aside." There was little actual malice in the dwarf's threat; he was just stating his own terms. Screw him over, and you're toast.

Angstrom
2012-12-27, 05:12 PM
"Death? I'm sorry strangers, but there are still laws against such things. The lady asked for Lamm to be brought to justice, not be killed. You won't last long as do-gooder vigilantes if your idea of justice is to murder all your targets."

"Lamm deserves death, but folk like us aren't the ones to condemn him. He must be sentenced by those with the authority to do so. Lamm is wanted by the city watch, so we need to find him and take him to Citadel Volshyenek. Due process is what separates the good folk of this city from the monsters like Lamm; best way to wind up one of those monsters is to forget that distinction."

One of her father's speeches delivered almost word for word. Regardless, they were words she lived by, especially now that she was making a career collecting bounties.

"But where is Lamm?"

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-27, 07:58 PM
"I appreciate your sympathy, but this talk of taking Lamm alive worries me. I am not a blood thirsty woman, but i do not believe you will be able to capture him, as he is a coward who will run rather than be caught, and once he is fled, it may be a long time before he is found, and by then he may be beyond the justice of men, so capture him if you must, but know he is cunning and deceatful and that putting him in the hands of the guard may just be what wants you to do. Lamm is close by, at a old abandoned fishery, just north of here at Westpier 17. As to how i found you and how I know where Lamm is hiding, let us just say that there is some old magic left in these cards, and I would use that magic to give you each... a gift, if you would have it, before sending you on your way"

Zellara picks up the chair she knocked over and sits down, fans her deck out on the table before sliding them back together and motioning you all to have a seat.

Hypertext
2012-12-27, 09:40 PM
Merik

Merik listens intently to the conversations going on around him. "Well it seems like we all have a common goal at least right? Before our benefactor works her magic I think introductions are in order. I am Merik Tis'raith." He says with a slight nod to his new companions. "Now Zelarra what gift would you bestow upon me?"

Thattaman
2012-12-28, 06:00 AM
"We must kill Lamm. He deserves death and nothing less. You think he cared about due process when he stuck me in prison? No." Anthony sits next to Zellara and asks her. "Yes. What gist would you give us?"

North_Ranger
2012-12-28, 06:02 AM
"Hardek, of the clan Halfear." the dwarven ranger speaks gruffly and pulls up a chair. Despite being a fair bit shorter than the humans around him, he climbs onto the chair with surprising ease. He looks suspiciously at Zellara and the cards...

Angstrom
2012-12-28, 02:01 PM
"I appreciate your sympathy, but this talk of taking Lamm alive worries me."

At the woman's caution, Amanda smiles. "Please do not worry. The guard may have failed you before, but I promise I will not." A shame that these people could not trust the justice system. Not perfect, sure, but strong enough that all Korvosa's citizens should feel protected by it. Bad luck that these folk were among the few to suffer from the corrupt and treacherous roaches that still lurk in the system.

"We must kill Lamm. He deserves death and nothing less. You think he cared about due process when he stuck me in prison? No."

"I am what some call a bounty hunter. Kestrel, they call me. I am not going after Lamm because of my occupation. No, I am going after Lamm because he stands in opposition to every effort to make this world a better place. I am going after him, and I'm going to do it the right way. I will not make plans to sully the extermination of evil with premeditated evil acts, no matter how insignificant in comparison. Grudges don't factor in to this. Justice is about right and wrong, and refusing to offer this man a trial is wrong."

Kes shrugs as she accepts a seat at the table. Rookies like these would be impossible to dissuade from coming along. Not rookies to combat though which would be useful with a career criminal like Lamm. "I would have expected a paladin to agree. It may not matter to you; criminals like Lamm don't go quietly. You may find yourself killing him in self-defence but, to me at least, intention matters just as much."

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-28, 02:37 PM
"A harrowing... I shall read your future, part the viel of time ever so slightly and peer through the mist, and grant you a small boon to aid your endeavors"

Zellara finishes shuffling the deck and fans her cards out once again

"First please choose a card, each of you."

OOC
as we are not in person i will choose for you at random with a dice role by rolling a d9, after the choosing i will roll up the harrowing proper

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-28, 03:14 PM
merik
[roll0]

kes
[roll1]

dex
[roll2]

hardek
[roll3]

Thattaman
2012-12-28, 04:11 PM
"I believe in justice above all things. But from what I have learned Lamm has a way of getting past justice. The only way to deal with him is to make him pay with iron and steel. I worship Iomedae goddess of justice and valour but she teaches that evil must be dealt with so that good can prosper. I gave up hope in the system of justice in Korvosa when I was falsely imprisoned. He must have a way of pulling the strings and controlling people. In my trial, people I'd never met before said things against me. They must have been threatened by Lamm and who's to say that he wouldn't do that again? The one person who stood up for me and got me out of prison was killed in unexplainable circumstances. There is no way to deal with Lamm other than death. Swift and sure death. I too am a bounty hunter, I hunt only those who I know to be evil and I know Lamm is evil."

North_Ranger
2012-12-28, 06:06 PM
Hardek just looked at his would-be comrades and shook his head. If Lamm could be brought down with bluster and bravado, the bugger would surely have died from the sermons by the self-proclaimed bounty hunter and the paladin - the latter of whom reminded Hardek of his little brother. Halfast would surely be giving the same kind of speech, if he were here.

"I suggest we cross that bridge when we come to it. Now shut up and sit down", the dwarf weighed in gruffly before reaching his hand in its fingerless glove forward. He picked one of the cards between his callused fingers and pulled it in front of him.

Angstrom
2012-12-28, 06:36 PM
"A crusader then?" she asks as she takes a card from Zellara, "I am sorry for your false imprisonment. If you were wronged as you say then it was by Lamm, not the law. He will receive the death penalty for all that he has done, of that I have no doubt, but none present have the authority to be judge, jury, and executioner. With him behind bars there will be no way for him to weasel out of the noose. You'll see, justice will not be thwarted."

North_Ranger
2012-12-28, 06:38 PM
"Justice? In Korvosa?" Hardek chortles. "Please. I take more stock in the wind I pass than in human justice. Now shut up and let the woman speak."

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-28, 06:39 PM
Zellara claps her hand down on the table firmly, cutting through the chatter like the thunderclap
"Be silent all of you, please you may disturb the mist..."

Merik draws his card a wild vision floods his mind with flashes of the city, mobs roiling, a blind prophet spouting rhetoric, and beasts rampaging through the streets, and when his eyes open he sees he has drawn "The Avalanche" which shows a hillside coming to life and charging down upon a hapless caravan.

As Amanda draws her card she sees blood dripping from meat hooks, swaggering guardsmen holding cudgel and swords, and a young officer, hansom, but with a hungry look in his eye, she sees a flash of steel, hears the clack of wood, and the thrum of a bow as her eyes open she sees she has drawn "The peacock" showing a small green dragon with slightly frayed wings eating an apple that is shedding multicolored light

Antony sees darkness, that slowly lightens to a dim gloom, eveything around him is covered in spider silk, and before him is a great web, when humaniod bodies are stung up, as he turns to leave he catches of glimpse of 8 eyes shining like black diamonds in the dark and the outline of massive, bloated spider, over it all he can hear its horrid chittering, working away in the dark "The dance" a card with a woman mid step in a dance, clothed in colorful silks, swinging a baton, and surrounded by colored orbs of light

Hardeks vision is much simpler, but perhaps more powerful for it caughes him to sneer and gnash his teeth, for he sees a dark room with a square hole in it, hearing the constant drip drip of water, his vision moves closer, drip drip, by the light of a candle he can see a man, drip drip, a man he does not know, drip drip, an old man, drip drip in once nice clothes, drip drip wisps of long, lank hair sprouting from under a wide brimmed black hat, drip drip the old man turns and laughs, but there is no mirth in it, drip drip nor his hard, dark eyes, which show only contempt and sadism, drip drip....Gaedren Lamm drip drip
as the vision fades, Hardek sees he has drawn "The locksmith" showing a man in a hooded green cloak holding a chain, the chain is attached to a hand, and on the end of each finger, a key

Zellara takes each card back from you in turn and shuffles them back into her deck as she begins the Harrowing proper,
as she starts to shuffle the cards begin to glow, before long the cards are moving on their own, shuffling and reshuffling, moving with blinding speed, a swirling maelstrom of suites and faces. fast as lighting Zellara darts her hand into the madness, again and again, nine times in all, and lays each card face down, 3 by 3, and after laying the last card down she holds her hands on either side of the shifting mass of cards and claps them together, cards quickly bending to her will, ordering themselves back into her deck, which she lays down next to the grid, still as a stone now

"Let us pear into the past, and see the law of it. "The Mountain Man, a great but alien power physically mighty, perhaps it is you four. "The Vision" a well of arcane knowledge for good or for evil, possibly at war with one another." As Zellara turns over the next car she sucks in her breath like she burned herself... "The Winged Serpent, there was a great failure to act when the time was right, a warriors currage faltered when victory was assured, , perhaps a chance to capture Lamm, perhaps something else, there is much power in this card. let us look into the present, for it is neutral in its balance.
A smile breaks across Zellaras face
"The Rakshasa, normally a card of ill omen, but here it could perhaps mean a breaking of chains and freedom from enslavement, to fly free again. "The Theater, my my your present looks better than your past, a prophecy was told, and it shall come true, but which, perhaps it is the prophecy i am about to read, perhaps it is a begging brother in the street calling for doom, i believe it is the prophecy of saviors come to the city at long last.
Zellara chuckles to herself
"The Carnival" There is some truth to your fiction, and some fiction to your truth, not everything is as it seems, and many dreams may be false. Now we pear in the the swirling Chaos, the future... "The Hidden Truth" do not believe everything you see, you must look beyond and within. " The Brass Dwarf" there is much peril ahead, but you will riase above it, you will weather the storm and survive where others fall. Lastly "The Tyrant" this is grave... a fatherly influence will bring great pain and suffering, blood will be spilled, it is certain..."
She takes a moment to collect herself

"I thank you all so much, I know it must have taken a great deal of bravery to meet me like this, and a deal of faith to hear me out. I've done all i can to help you now, go now, you must act quickly."

she draws each of you out of your chairs one by one, giving you a hug and a kiss on the cheek, even fierce looking Hardek

Hypertext
2012-12-29, 12:51 PM
Merik

Merik watches silently as the cards move about the table and Zellara makes her reading. When she is finished the kiss on the cheek catches him off guard and he grunts uncomfortably. "To Westpier 17 then. Zellara we will make Lamm pay for what he did to your son and for what he has done to all of us." With that Merik leaves 3 Lancet and retrieves his traveling gear from where he stashed it. He waits outside and takes a swig from his waterskin full of Dwarven stout waiting for his new, if not odd assortment, of companions.

North_Ranger
2012-12-29, 03:03 PM
"Aye, let's get this over and done with", Hardek says as he blushes a little from Zellara's kiss. Clearly the gruff dwarf is not too used to such intimate touches. "Ma'am", he nonetheless says to the Varisian woman with a nod before pulling his hood back on and walking out of the house.

Angstrom
2012-12-29, 10:24 PM
"Indeed, let's be off then."

Zellara's kiss is returned politely, and Amanda does her best to give a reassuring smile. She truly hopes she has the woman's trust, Zellara had been through enough, and hopefully now she could have some peace knowing that the four of them would end Lamm's menace.

As a long term resident of Korvosa, does Kes know where Westpier 17 is?

Thattaman
2012-12-30, 05:07 AM
Anthony stands up and gives Zellara a kiss on the hand. "Thank you and I swear that Lamm shall pay for what he has done to you. What he has done to all of us." Anthony hen leaves with the others and makes his way to Westpier 17 vengance burning in his heart.

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-30, 02:22 PM
As a long time resident Kes would know of the Westpier district for sure, though she might not know exactly where, it would be easy to find, and once there a simple information gathering to find the address, or you could just go looking for it

Westpier is a bustling port, not unlike most ports, sweaty Longshoremen bringing in cargo, bars and whore houses shoulder to shoulder with massive warehouses, long docks, piers and quays jutting into the water, some with ships tied to them, some with fisheries and bait houses along them. There are swaggering sailors everywhere, with their odd, swaying gait betraying the fact that they have spent a much greater time aboard ship than on land, though one curious fact stands out... a vast majority of the sailors are halflings...

North_Ranger
2012-12-30, 06:20 PM
"Huh, that's odd. Has there been some mass exodus from Cheliax or something?" Hardek wonders aloud as he looks around himself, trying to find the reason for such an influx of pint-sized sea dogs.

Perception... [roll0]

Angstrom
2012-12-30, 07:30 PM
Amanda's heart sinks at the multitude of halflings. This will make it that much harder to find Felicity.

"Now where is this fishery..." she wonders aloud as she walks down the boardwalk.

She'd rather not risk alerting Lamm to their approach if she can. If its not obvious in the Westpier 17 area she'll ask around, but will try locating it inconspicuously; its a fishery so it should be decently big...

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-30, 10:14 PM
Hardek notices that most of the ships seem small for the amount of cargo they unload, and one of the longshoremen notice you staring at the boats and halflings saying
"Dey crew em wiff 'alflins, da litel uns take up less 'pace, mo room fa cargo."

Down a long row of piers you finally come to Westpier 17, the buildings you pass showing a full range of states of repair, some stately and trim, some showing some wear and age, some barely holding themselves together... Westpier 17 makes everything around it look new though, the only thing in the harbor in worse shape is a pier that has completely rotted away, this place looks like it has been patched together so much there isn't anything of the original building left and even that is mostly being held together with droppings from the massive flock of birds that are perched all around the building and flying over it.

North_Ranger
2012-12-31, 06:37 AM
Hardek imparts his observations to his comrades, though the nothing-but-halflings-for-crew idea sounds a strange one indeed to him.

Westpier 17, on the other hand, simply evokes a dwarven curse and a spit on the ground.

"I bet that place will keel over into the water if someone farts directly at it", the dwarf weighs in as he observes the dilapidated building. If this was indeed Lamm's hideout, there would be eyes watching...

Perception! [roll0]

EDIT: Woohoo!

Thattaman
2012-12-31, 07:06 AM
"Yes it does look somewhat unstable, doesn't it. I'd say cut the place down and let them drown if it wasn't for the children inside there. Let's look for entrances."

Hypertext
2012-12-31, 02:47 PM
Merik walks closely behind his new comrades and takes in the sights and sounds of the docks. "I prefer the more straightforward approach as stealth is not really for forte. If anything I may be able to provide a sizable distraction if any of you want to try to sneak your way in.".

As they approach the rickety structure Merik tries to pick out any surly looking types that may be guards or thugs.

Perception [roll0]

So bad at seeing things!!

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-31, 03:43 PM
Looking around the fishery you find a large pair of double doors, with an old, rotten sign hanging from a single chain, you can just make out the image of a crab with a crutch, and words reading "The Crippled Crab." to the right of the double doors is a small pier that runs along the side of the fishery, it appears to turn around the back, where you can just barely see the bow of a small ship. to the left of the double doors is a loading dock, you are just in time to see a fisherman bring a wheel barrow of ugly, misshapen fish to the loading dock and ring a bell, a surly blond haired man in a red coat with a lazy eye comes out, eyeing the fisherman, and then his barrow with suspicion, before whistling. 4 children come out and start carrying the fish inside, you can hear some kind of work going on inside. This place reeks of brine and dead fish

North_Ranger
2012-12-31, 04:18 PM
"So then... how do we want to go about this? Bust the door in and kill everything in sight? Set the building on fire? Ask nicely if Mr Lamm can come out and play?"

Angstrom
2012-12-31, 04:20 PM
Is it safe to assume the blonde guy isn't Lamm? Amanda never met him and only knows him by reputation.

As the children come out of the building Kes narrows her gaze, hoping to spot Feliity. "Who knows how many children he has in there. How many lackeys either." Her brow furrows as she tries to extrapolate the layout of the building from the placement of windows and doors, a habit Theandra had taught her. If the fishery is operational, it would be noisy enough inside to allow some reconnaissance.

"I have a few tricks that could help us find out. Would one of you aid me in getting up to one of those walls unseen? A minor distraction could aid in that."

Kes can use Door Sight to look through the walls of the building if they're less than 7 inches thick. It takes a minute though, so she'll need to find a safe location to do it.

Perception [roll0] (using guidance) to locate a hidden place. Perhaps under the pier.

North_Ranger
2012-12-31, 04:29 PM
"Would a fire do the trick?" Hardek suggests with a grin, looking around for something suitably dry... and preferably something no one will miss too much.

Perception! 1d20+6

North_Ranger
2012-12-31, 04:30 PM
Let's try this again... [roll0]

North_Ranger
2012-12-31, 04:31 PM
Oh for Pete's sake... Perception check, dice roller! NOW!!! [roll0]

Cleric Cromwell
2012-12-31, 05:20 PM
Hardek pokes around, looking for something dry...and finds nothing, everything is soaked, the driest thing he can find are dock planks, but they are firmly nailed down and couldn't be removed without making a considerable scene

Kes on the other hand notices that the blond man is a human aged about 35, and none of the children he is ordering around are the child she seeks. on the other hand she can't find any place that especially hidden, though it looks like there may be more pier underneath some of the building.
OOC

you can try and move down the pier, but it is difficult terrain and will need to make acrobatics checks along the way

Hypertext
2013-01-02, 12:04 PM
Merik

"I'm for busting in through the front door. Of course like Kes said that may land us in over our heads... but life's short right." With that said Merik starts to tighten the straps on his weighted gloves and stretch out his neck. "I'm ready when you are" He says with a slight smirk.

North_Ranger
2013-01-02, 03:37 PM
"I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a better idea... like, doing this at night? You know, when there's less chance that someone will see us and call the guard?" Hardek suggests, clearly wondering who's leading this outfit. "But maybe the gods favor fools", he shrugs and strings his bow, ready to pull an arrow from the quiver.

Hypertext
2013-01-02, 04:45 PM
Merik

"Ha they sure do! You bring up a good point Hardek. Waiting for night is fine by me but I would hate to lose this bastard again." He says looking at Hardek. "What do you think Kes and Anthony?"

Angstrom
2013-01-03, 03:02 AM
"Indeed, there is still some sun left. We should take this chance to further survey the building and make sure to interview anyone that comes out."

She's suggesting that we use this time to gather information on the fishery. Any clients that show up like before should be questioned. Hopefully Lamm will send one of those kids out on an errand and one of us can convince the kid to reveal how many lackeys Lamm has inside any other useful information.

So, that lower area intrigued her. Kes is going to rent a rowboat and check it out. Shouldn't be hard to find someone willing to rent her a dingy for an hour in a dock area. All aboard?

North_Ranger
2013-01-03, 10:32 AM
With the prerequisite sense of trepidation, yes.

Hypertext
2013-01-03, 11:28 AM
Seconding dingy use. Who doesn't like a nice boat ride right?

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-03, 12:48 PM
Asking around, you find a man willing to rent you his rowboat until this time tomorrow
"That be 5 silver bits for me boat"

North_Ranger
2013-01-03, 01:40 PM
"Allow me", Hardek says and steps up. He opens his purse and picks up five Korvosan silver pieces, giving them to the man. "For your boat", the dwarf says calmly, and then pulls out a glistening, eight-sided dwarven gold piece from the purse, placing it on top of the silver pieces on the man's grimy palm. "For forgetting who rented your boat", he says as he looks the man right in the eye.

Angstrom
2013-01-03, 01:50 PM
"Thank you, Hardek." Kes smiles to him once he's rented the boat. "Shall we then?"

So we met at Zellara's at sundown, so its probably dark now. With Hardek's darkvision to guide the boat we should have no problem rowing it underneath the pier stealthily.

That said, Kes will keep a crossbow readied and suggests anyone not rowing does the same.

North_Ranger
2013-01-03, 02:10 PM
"We shall", the dwarven ranger answers gruffly as he tucks his purse back under his cloak. Carefully he steps into the rickety boat that bears the distinctive smell of urban river water and fish offal, and makes his way to the prow. He pulls out his shortbow and nocks an arrow.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-03, 02:36 PM
the old man eyes the queer coin and bites it, satisfied he looks both ways and says "what boat?" with a wink

as the four of you climb into the boat, it rocks and heaves but settles down, you lock our oars in and push off into the channel, with Hardek guiding the way, but you quickly find the boat spinning out of control, the old man sold you his boat, but he did not tell you that it would swept up by the current in the channel that keeled hulls would fight against, or river galleys could easily overcome with their many long oars and thin poles. The fight for control of the boat is on...

Thattaman
2013-01-04, 09:14 AM
Anthony grabs the oars and starts rowing, hoping to get Mr. Lamm by the end of the night. When the current t starts to spin them out of control he curses and tries to pull it back. "Damn that man! Does he not know we're here for a noble cause? Did any of you catch his name. I'd like to pay him a visit after we deal with Lamm. Unless that was Lamm in disguise."

North_Ranger
2013-01-04, 09:17 AM
"It wasn't", Hardek simply says, a deep shiver going through his spine. One could not simply forget the terrifying visage he had seen in the Harrow-induced vision... "Don't try to fight the current, let it carry the boat instead."

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-04, 10:45 AM
Hardek grasps the situation fully. He jumps on the oar next to Anthony and starts pull in time with him before changing his stroke to bring them around and then shifting back into time with drex. Now the boat is surging forward towards Lamm's hideout.

Hypertext
2013-01-04, 05:32 PM
"This doesn't look good!" says Merik as the tiny boat is pitched and battered by the current. When Hardek takes control of the situation he loosens significantly and moves to the back of the boat and keeps an eye out the best that he can. "Kes you may want to move to the front of the boat to equalize our weight a bit... Also you are probably a better lookout than me." He says with a snicker.

Perception ok what the eff I cant make this work.

1d20+3 (is this right cause if so my roller doesn't work at my place of business.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-07, 04:20 PM
With the boat under control and moving through the water swiftly, you work your way down the channel until you see the fishery and the old fishing boat that is docked there. You see that the fishery over hangs the water right up to where the boat is moored, and you see the under pier, low along the water, leading back up to the main pier, but under the fishery as well

you're still a ways out from the fishery

Angstrom
2013-01-07, 06:52 PM
"That underpier, that's where we should land."

[roll0] w guidance

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-08, 02:30 PM
The four of you try your best to bring the boat in calm and slow along side the underpier, but you bang into it with a loud *thump*

a dog begins to bark loudly and then a man's voice is heard
"Oy, you shut your 'ole before you get a taste a me 'and!"
the dog continues to bark, but it turns quickly to a wimper
"I warned ya 'in't I"

you tie off the boat, and see that a good 60 feet of fishery over hangs the underpier and pilings down in the water, the underpier is about 10 feet wide and in a bad state of repair, slimy and clearly rotting in places, the fishing boat is about 20 feet away to your right, and the fishery is 60 feet to your left, everything else around you is black water and old wooden pilings

Thattaman
2013-01-08, 02:46 PM
Anthony climbs out of the boat and inspects the area using detect evil.

Perception [roll0]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-08, 03:17 PM
Anthony sees nothing of note, the darkness hampering his vision

based on the setup of the underpier, it is likely that there is some way to either board the ship, or get into the fishery, it wouldn't be there for nothing. on the other hand, the underpier is treacherous terrain, you'll need acrobatics checks to move at half speed

Angstrom
2013-01-08, 03:48 PM
"Best be careful on that dock, paladin." Kes whispers as she scans the underpier, "I'd like to be closer to shore before stepping on that rotten wood"

I'm thinking we can use the wooden piling to push/pull the rowboat slowly towards the fishery before getting out.

Hypertext
2013-01-08, 08:29 PM
"The footing definitely looks treacherous from here. If we can get any closer without stepping in that slop we will be way better off. Otherwise I can climb up on the dock and take a look."

Trying to notice a hidden hatch or door [roll0]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-09, 05:14 PM
Trying to move along the outside of the underpier is slow going in the best of times, with the pilings from the pier above, and the flotsam choked waters below. you try your best to move slowly and quietly but this proves much harder than it should. Hardek can't get the rope untied at first but manages to get it loose, just as Anthony climbs back into the boat, which bobs and heaves, sliding away from the underpier, slamming into a pilling with a bang. trying to recover Kes reaches out and tries to push off the pilling but finds it covered in sticky tar, as the boat slips away from the piling, Kes nearly falls out of the boat but Anthony grabs the hood of her cloak and drags her back into the boat. you paddle your way forward slowly, coming within 20 feet of the fishery and what is clearly a door at the end of the underpier

Angstrom
2013-01-09, 05:57 PM
"Nice save, almost bit the drink there. I owe you one." Kes's hurriedly whispered thanks are genuine. Despite several hunts in the sewers and vaults of Korvosa, she had never had to actually submerge herself in the tainted waters of the Jeggare and was in no rush to start.

"That's our destination then. Let's get close and I'll see about getting it open" she says as she pulls a skeleton key out of a sleeve.

If the boat can be tied up near the door she'd like that. Escape on the boat would be hampered by slowly traversing the pier and tying it up as far beneath the fishery as possible will make it hard to spot.

If another check is needed. [roll0]

North_Ranger
2013-01-10, 11:01 AM
"Yeah, you do that. If your key doesn't work, we'll try mine", Hardek answers with a grim smile, patting the pair of axes tied to his belt. Of course, his keys would make quite the sound...

Wisdom check if need be: [roll0]

Sorry for being so quiet, had to stay in the hospital for a day or three.

Thattaman
2013-01-10, 11:09 AM
"I'm not exactly the sneakiest off us, so if someone's scouting then it probably shouldn't be me, but I will cut Lamm up pretty bad soon."

Hypertext
2013-01-10, 11:19 AM
"I'm with Anthony on this one" says Merik as they huddle around the door while Kes works her magic. "Lets just hope there is enough to go around" he says while clenching his fists.

Ready an action to attack if there is a potential threat behind the door.

Thattaman
2013-01-10, 11:27 AM
"Cut the boat loose and send it floating away, we don't want Lamm escaping. Then we knock down the front door and kill Lamm and his sadistic companions."

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-14, 01:47 PM
The 4 of you are gathered around the door, waiting for Kes to finish with her Skeleton key. But before she can finish the door swings open and 4 dogs leap out before the door is slammed shut, but the rotten hinges give way and the door crashes to the ground, a loud curse is heard from the other side

the 4 dogs run head long out of the door, though one slips on some slime, trips and flops into the water, it tries its best to swim back to shore, but it is quickly pulled under the water, a single fin cutting the surface of the dark water, then blood bubbles up from below

Merik gets a punch off at the first dog, which tries to square off with him, the other two launch into combat with Kes and Anthony repectively

North_Ranger
2013-01-14, 02:56 PM
"So much for doing this quiet-like", Hardek snarls and pulls out one of his axes. Taking a step closer to the fray he whistles, catching the dogs' attention. The hairy beast of a dwarf reveals his teeth in a feral growl and actually starts barking and frothing at the mouth, waving his maulaxe menacingly.

Intimidate the doggies! [roll0] (drat, I was sure Favored enemy would give me a +2 on this one as well, but no... le sigh. Still, I'm gonna go this route since Hardek is loathe to hurt animals needlessly)

Hypertext
2013-01-14, 03:06 PM
Despite being almost completely surprised Merik instinctively throws a right cross at the mutt that barrels through the door to face him.

Readied Action to punch da mutt.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Initiative [roll2]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-14, 04:08 PM
In the face of Hardek's growling, the dog facing Kes whimpers and backs down, clearly shaken by the display.

Merik's punch strikes true, clearly not someone sharing Hardeks humane scruples, his fist crunching through bone, blood and shattered teeth spraying from the dogs mouth. It slumps to the ground, dead, blood dripping down into the water below, the waters churning as something moves below.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-14, 04:13 PM
The last dog lunges at Anthony, trying to take a chunk out of the paladin's calf
OOC

attack roll
[roll0]
damage roll
[roll1]

Hypertext
2013-01-14, 04:21 PM
Having dispatched his attacker Merik lets loose a roar of his own and charges headfirst into the dog attempting to push it off of the shaky footing and into the bloody waters below.

Bullrush attempt (dog gets an AOO) [roll0]

North_Ranger
2013-01-14, 04:44 PM
Hardek growls and barks at the shaken dog, slamming his axe's blunt end against one of the heavy poles supporting the pier. He takes a few steps forward towards the terrified canine, hoping that the dog will choose to tuck tail and run.

Intimidate [roll0]

Angstrom
2013-01-14, 09:54 PM
"What the..." her curse cut short as the dogs leap out of the door, Kes quickly rises back to her feet. "Lamm!"

If possible, 5ft step towards the door. Channel Negative Energy: [roll0]/2 (so half of 3, I don't know whether to round up or down) damage, DC17 Will save or Dazed for 1 round. 30ft Radius burst that excludes her three companions.

I'm aware that this burst has a chance of hitting someone on the floor above, but in the chaos of having rabid dogs sicked on her I somehow doubt Kes would think of that.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-15, 12:45 AM
As the negative energy washes over the mangy cur, its eyes go wide, it whimpers and stops what it was doing, just as Merik tackles it square in the torso, sending it flying off the edge of the pier, where it is quickly pulled under the water

the last dog is so demoralized by Hardek's fearsome display that he bolts for the door, tail between its legs, urine streaming in its wake, it throws its body at the door , desperate to get away, as the negative energy washes over it, it howls and wines, and just barely slips inside the door.

you hear a curse, a canine yelp and a splash, fallowed by a bloodcurdling animal scream, and then silince

"bloody mutt, Orcus take ya"

North_Ranger
2013-01-15, 05:19 AM
Hardek stops dead in his tracks when he hears the pain-filled yelp and the cursing that followed it. Spittle in his beard, his forehead and cheeks still reddened from his fearsome display, he looks almost comical when frozen in place. But then his brow furrows, his lips curl back and his hands tighten around the shaft of his axe.

The last few seconds of foam-in-the-mouth were nothing but a show. This time, Hardek is well and truly pissed off. He strides to the door and yanks it open, maulaxe first.

"Alright, who's the ogre-****ing *****-son piece of **** who needs an axe shoved up in his ****ing ***?!" he roars inside, cursing so loudly and angrily that he probably curdled every drop of milk within a hundred feet of him.

Move inside if possible. And Intimidate, I guess :smallwink: [roll0]

I know this isn't the wisest choice strategically, but Hardek is an animal-lover. He hates hurting them needlessly. But not as much as he hates people who do that.

And yes, I thought it best to censor his language.

Hypertext
2013-01-15, 11:32 AM
Hardek's stream of curses spurs Merik back into action and he rushes into the room next to Hardek ready for more. "LETS DO THIS!!!"

Readied action to strike any hostiles within reach
Hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Initiative [roll2]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-15, 01:14 PM
As soon as Hardek steps through the door a man with a plank takes a swing at him

A familiar looking man fumbles to get a wand out of his red coat, leaving it at Merik once the door is open, but gets very angry and starts to curse
"Bloody stupid thing, Why in the Seven Hells won't this work. GIGGLES!!!!!! GET YOUR LAZY ASS IN HERE!!!!!!"

there is the sound of booted feet moving quickly above you, and the faint sound of maniacal laughter can be

readied action attack first humanoid that comes through the door
attack roll
[roll0]
damage roll
[roll1]
-------
readied action use wand on first seen enemy
-------
North i think we are all adults if i am not mistaken, i fully support a little cursing

North_Ranger
2013-01-15, 03:01 PM
Hardek has no trouble at all ducking underneath the swinging plank. The maddened dwarf grins and points his waraxe at the man. "You. From the waist down, you're mine, you too-tall pile of giant crap", he growls and then rushes the man, his axe swinging with a two-handed grip.

I just thought it was more fun to have his swearing be censored :smallwink: Besides, I don't want to get this thread locked or anything for colorful language.

Also, Hardek charges if possible. If that's the case, add +2 to the final result. He swings the maulaxe with both hands, so that's 1 1/2 his Strength modifier, so...

[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Angstrom
2013-01-15, 03:57 PM
"Do not let Lamm escape" Kes calls out as she gives her hunting companions a boon of Abadar, moving into the room clasping her key firmly.

Cast Bless on allies. +1 to attack rolls and saves vs fear.
Move as far into the room as possible without provoking AoOs.

Hypertext
2013-01-15, 04:58 PM
Merik stands completely still for a moment expecting to be wreathed in flames from the wand. The magic seems to have failed. "Big Mistake" he says staring into the man in the red coats eyes. Immediately after he ducks the swinging plank on it's back swing and moves towards the caster as swiftly as possible ready to rip him limb from limb.

Moving to the man in the red coat in the safest way possible (avoiding AOO when possible)
Attempting to grapple [roll0]

Thattaman
2013-01-16, 11:12 AM
Anthony grits his teeth when the dog manages to get through his armour, he then charges at the man Merik has grappled, he swings his word in wide arc, aiming for the head.

Attack roll [roll]1d20+5 Damage [roll0] Charge if possible.

Thattaman
2013-01-16, 11:14 AM
I messed up the attack roll [roll0]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-16, 06:38 PM
red coat starts to panic, trying his best to squirm free from Merik's grapple when he feels the bite of Anthony's blade in his shoulder and screams. He redoubles his efforts to break free

"GAAAHAAAA get off me you bloody batard!"

the man with the board takes a savage two handed swing at Hardek

and Giggles charges down the stairs and attacks Anthony, is a burly muscle bound half-orc, swinging a wicked looking flail, his giggling turns to chortling, turns to laughing, turns to wild, mad cackling.

"hehehehehehehehe, seeeems you need some help Yangin hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha"

Yangrin (aka red coat)
attempts to break the grapple

board boy attacks
[roll0]
damage
[roll1]

Giggles the half-orc charges
attack roll
[roll2]
damage roll
[roll3]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-16, 06:42 PM
OOC

board boy only rolled an 18

and Yangrin fails to break the grapple

Hypertext
2013-01-16, 07:48 PM
"I have this bastard under control! Take down the big one!!" WIth that said Merik tightens his grip on the one called Yangin and locks his hands behind his head. Happy with his clinch he starts to jam a barrage of knees into his opponents chest.

Continuing grapple and making a grapple check to do damage.
Grapple Check (+5 for controlling) [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

North_Ranger
2013-01-17, 12:44 AM
Hardek could feel his teeth rattle when the boy's plank hit the back of his head with a deafening thud. For a moment it looked like the hardy dwarf was going to fall face first on the floor, but then he turned and looked at the boy, murder in his eyes.

"You ssshhon offfff ah beeechhhh", the hurt dwarf slurs and swings his waraxe at the boy, intent on taking his head off for that.

[roll0]

Hardek's down to 2hp. Some healing would be nice :smallwink:

Angstrom
2013-01-17, 01:28 AM
"Aroden! This got out of hand fast!" Kes mutters to herself as she steps lightly to avoid the reach of the half-orc. What a mess indeed. Channelled awe flows from the key in her fist as she steps around the combatants to reach the dwarf.

Assuming that by Board Boy you mean Board Man, Kes's going to try and move around the combat, avoiding AoOs, to flank with Hardek so she can heal the dwarf should things turn south. 40ft move should allow that, right? If not, she'll move alongside him so he can flank with a 5ft step on her next turn. If Hardek just dropped the guy, she moves up the stairwell that Giggles came down after channeling.

Channel Negative Energy: [roll0] damage, DC17 will save or dazed for 1 round. 30ft Radius burst that excludes her three companions.

Bless 9/10 rounds

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-17, 01:17 PM
With the crack of the board on the side of Hardeks head the young man with the board breaks out in a wicked grin, his confidence buoyed by Giggles joining the fray.
"Silly le'l stunty, ne'va shouda po...."
His boast is cut short as Hardek's ax sinks deep into his throat, arterial blood pumping out around the blade in spurts and sprays. He slides to the floor trying to hold his head on straight and keep his blood in... it doesn't work

Yangin fights feebly against Merik's clutch, but against the vicious onslaught of Merik's spiked knees his ribs yield, snapping painfully, forcing into his heart and lungs, he dies with a pink froth bubbling from his lips

Giggles chortles madly as he starts to bring his flail around again but as the wave of negative energy washes over him his eyes go wide, he stumbles and just barely manages to not hit himself with his own flail

"he he...ooooohh heh oooo....."

at the same moment, several thuds are heard from upstairs

Angstrom
2013-01-17, 01:58 PM
"Lamm will try to escape! Come on." Kes calls as she releases another wave of mystic energy. Turning, she bounds up the stairs; abandoning her companions to handle the half-orc.

Channel then move up the stairs to try and find Lamm. She's useless for more than channeling at this point, so will leave Giggles to Anthony and the others.

Sorry about the lack of healing North, looking after others isn't really keeping in character in this case. Hardek will get that CLW as soon as the situation is under control.

Channel Negative Energy: [roll0] damage, DC17 will save or dazed for 1 round. 30ft Radius burst that excludes her three companions. Hoping to catch whoever's above as well.

Bless 8/10 rounds.

Hypertext
2013-01-17, 03:15 PM
Feeling Yangin's ribs crack Merik drops him to the rotting wood floor unceremoniously. He disengages quickly and runs at Giggles with a roar of pure rage and fury attempting to grapple the larger opponent.

Attack w/ charge,bless and flank [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Kind of unsure on positioning so sorry if charge or flank doesn't apply.

North_Ranger
2013-01-17, 03:53 PM
Hardek was still light-headed from the blow to his noggin, but his mind still registered the familiar sound of flesh being rent. Dislodging his axe from the dying man's neck, he turned his attention to the giggling greenskin his partners were wailing at.

"Wait fffforr mmmeeee", the dwarf slurred and rushed the half-orc, intent on making the ugly mook cry mommy.

Attack Giggles, charge and flank if possible. Two-handed blow to his nethers :smallbiggrin:

Attack: [roll0] (add +2 if able to charge, and another +2 if Hardek can flank him)

Thattaman
2013-01-17, 04:28 PM
Anthony takes another swing but this time at Giggles as he charges towards him.

I'll charge if I can. [roll0] [roll1]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-17, 04:33 PM
Merik closes the distance but Giggles' limp posture makings him oddly hard to grapple
Anthony turns to face the Half-orc with a back ahnded swing, but the brutes odd swaying takes him out of reach,
Hardek charges in, posts up, and sinks his ax into the Half-orc's side, though Giggles only looks down at the ax and...giggles

as Kes reaches the top of the stairs, she hears something that sounds like whimpering and groaning. the area around her looks to be the fishery proper, there are long tables, racks full of knives and mallets that are set oddly low, as if they were intended for use by persons who were not the normal height of a human. at the end of one table is a large hand crack device that opens into a tank, there are 3 interior doors, the main double doors to the front of the fishery, and what is clearly the loading dock.

Angstrom
2013-01-17, 07:08 PM
"Lamm! Felicity!"

Without an easy source of action Kes scans the room as she invokes a prayer for speed in finding her foe. Utterly failing to spot or hear anything, she paces aimlessly towards a random interior door.

Perception: [roll0] (Unfortunate)
Cast Expeditious Retreat.

Bless 7/10
Expeditious Retreat 10/10

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-17, 07:35 PM
Kes moves into the fishery and opens a door, in it she a long dark room, filled with bunk beds, and children
there are about 15 children in the room, most of them looking at Kes, though a few are still gathered around the 4 children that are on the floor moaning and whimpering
one child that looks particularly grubby tugs the hem of your shirt and asks
"Are you here to beat us? we din' do anathin, honest! that noise down stais oke us up, and then alla suddin Timmy, Jane, Billy and Bunko all fell down. we was't up ta no goods, promiss!

Hypertext
2013-01-17, 08:34 PM
Merik is befuddled by the swaying of Giggles and tries again to grapple his opponent.

Grapple [roll0] (including +1 from bless)

Thattaman
2013-01-18, 02:32 AM
Anthony taks another swing at this strange halforc.

Attack roll [roll0] [roll1]

North_Ranger
2013-01-18, 05:22 AM
"Whhy dontcha bleedinnnndie, you mmmaanky git?" Hardek slurred, clearly somewhat delirious from the crack to his brainpan. But yet he persisted, yanking his axe free and swinging it at the madly giggling face before him.

Attack with waraxe: [roll0] (+1 from two-handed, +1 from Bless, +2 from flank, +1 from Hatred racial ability (just remembered that, D'OH!))

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-18, 01:00 PM
Giggles shakes out of his daze just in time to slide out of the way of Merik's attack sending the big Half-Elf barreling into Hardek as the dwarf is about to swing, unfortunately he steps right into Anthony's reach, ending his rampage with the paladin's sword buried in his chest
Giggles coughs up some blood, his shield slipping from limp fingers, but then he starts to laugh again, not a mirthful laugh but harsh and loud, his eyes lock with Anthony's, hate pouring out of them and he puts every ounce of his fading strength into one last swing of his flail, before sliding slowly down the paladins blade to finally die face to face with him

ooc

Giggles hits zero hit pounds, but uses Orcish ferocity to take one last standard action, attack
[roll0]
damage
[roll1]

Thattaman
2013-01-18, 02:14 PM
Anthony stares into giggles eyes and pushes his sword deeper in, only pulling it out when the flail slams into his face. He drops Giggle's body to the floor without another glance. "Follow me, Lamm's still alive somewhere and we need him dead." Anthony to where Kes went.

Hypertext
2013-01-18, 02:41 PM
"Lets hurry who knows how far she could have gone. Also you may want to let me take point you guys don't look so good." With that Merik heads up the stairs and he yells for Kes to determine her location and if she is in any trouble.

Thattaman
2013-01-18, 02:50 PM
Anthony looks at Merik, "This isn't to bad." he says, "I've had worse."

North_Ranger
2013-01-18, 03:50 PM
"You... you go ahead... I think... I think I need a breather", Hardek breathes out, reeling badly as he lets the axehead touch the floor. "Gods, any harder and that bastard would've cracked my skull", he mutters as he begins going through the three dead corpses, hoping to find some manner of curative.

Do I need to roll Perception to loot the corpses for some CLWs for Hardek and Anthony?

Hypertext
2013-01-18, 04:37 PM
"Both of you are tougher than most that I have encountered. When I used to fight in the pits it took much less to fell a man." Says Merik loudly down the staircase to his new battle brothers. He is still looking for Kes but so far no luck. He goes through the open door assuming that Kes must have went that way.

Thattaman
2013-01-18, 04:43 PM
Anthony speaks to Hardek, "Find anything on them, you fight well, Hardek, we can do this. Anthony then climbs up the stairs to Merik, "Thank you, I guess those men in the pits didn't have the strength of Iomedae on their side. And six years in prison usually toughens men up."

Hypertext
2013-01-18, 06:47 PM
Merik lets loose a small laugh and says "Ha you are probably right about Iomedae but I can say that most if not all had some prison stretches under their belts. Had they known that your god makes them fight better they may have considered it i'm sure.". "Hardek!! You ok down there? We don't want you passing out without us knowing or anything!"

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-18, 07:17 PM
The lad with the board doesn't have anything worth taking, just some old ragged pants, a sweat stained shirt and a rope he was using for a belt, he looks like he might have been one of the Little Lambs that made it to his 20s

Giggles itsn't carrying anything potion like, but he does have a set of studded leather armor, a light steel shield, and his flail

but its Yangrin that is the different story, he was clearly someone higher up in Gaedren's gang and he was very well appointed with gear, carrying the wand he failed to use, a dagger, a light crossbow with 10 bolts, an amulet with a large red stone set in gold, 3 vials of acid 2 tanglefoot bags, 1 potion of cure light wounds, and a heavy iron key

North_Ranger
2013-01-19, 05:08 AM
Hardek frowned as he went through the redrobe's possessions. "Drat, only one healing potion", he muttered and took a look at the stairs where Anthony had gone. He sighed heavily and slipped the potion into his pocket; it would be the group's decision, who would get the potion.

In addition, he also relieved the corpse of his wand, the amulet, the rest of the vials and the key. The rest of the goods and armor he had found he piled up in the corner of the room, for later removal.

After he had pat down the corpses one more time, Hardek got up on his feet. He was still reeling, but he managed to stay on his two feet. Taking one disgusted look at the redrobe, he heaved his axe and struck. A severed head rolled away from the redrobe's corpse. Not saying a word, Hardek picked the head up, opened the door outside and threw it into the waters.

"That's for the dog, you son of a b****", he muttered and spat in the murky waters. He then closed the door and walked upstairs to join his comrades - and to tell them he had found only one healing potion.

Thattaman
2013-01-19, 09:52 AM
Anthony hears Hardek and calls down the stairs to him. "You take it. I've not taken as many hits as you and I've got a lot of armour."

North_Ranger
2013-01-19, 11:53 AM
"If you insist. Thank you", Hardek answered, a smile touching his face as he popped open the cork of the small vial. "Cheers", he added before gulping down the slightly luminescent liquid. Grimacing, he shook his head, feeling a somewhat uncomfortable sensation at the back of his skull where the lad with the board had walloped him.

Okay, CLW is 1d8+1, if I remember correctly, so... [roll0]

Okay, he's at 6hp now. I think I'll keep him at bow duty for now.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-19, 03:45 PM
While looking around the main work floor, you find a large locked cabinet of heavy oak banded in iron
and you can hear someone talking from down down the hall, though the voice is high and thin, like a childs

Thattaman
2013-01-19, 04:31 PM
"There's children in here!" Anthony calls as he opens the door sword drawn in case of any hostiles. "Come, children, wait outside, I'm here to liberate you and kill the man who forced you into this life; Gaedran Lamm!"

North_Ranger
2013-01-19, 05:45 PM
"Hush, you fool. If he's here, he'll hear you", Hardek whispered harshly. He then put the empty vial aside and slipped his axe back into its loop. But the dwarf clearly expected trouble, as he then took up his old, dented bow and placed a sturdy arrow on the string...

Perception to hear who's talking, how many are talking etc. [roll0]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-19, 06:27 PM
You hear the voice coming from the largest room. You see Kes in the doorway talking to the extremely grubby looking child

North_Ranger
2013-01-20, 05:02 AM
"All's clear. It's Kes and some knee-biter", Hardek whispered as he relaxed a bit, but still keeping his bow at a low ready position. He nodded towards the doorway and walked to join Kes and the kid. "Is he here? Is Lamm here?"

Hypertext
2013-01-21, 11:58 AM
"If he was here I think we would have found him by now unfortunately. If anything we probably took out his muscle though. This Cabinet looks promising though... could be a secret escape passage or something right?" Merik tries yanking the cabinet open as best he can.

Strength Check [roll0]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-21, 06:10 PM
Against the fury of your blows, the cabinet buckles and fails, the door tearing off the hinges

in a few drawers are papers, they look like invoices to local bars, it looks like they have been selling the main ingredient for a local dish known as 'Dock Dumplings', which is apparently just ground up fish, bones and all

another drawer has 3 potions of cure light wounds and the last drawer has a purse in it that, based on the weight has 200 gold pieces in it.

Hypertext
2013-01-21, 06:59 PM
"Woo!" Bellow Merik as the cabinet busts open. "Hardek drink one of these and grab another for later. Anthony you take the other for now. but if I end up going down one of you better douse me with one of those." He says followed by a small chuckle. "We can split the gold later. Now lets track this bastard down. Kes did the kids say anything about where Laam may have gone?"

Angstrom
2013-01-21, 08:00 PM
"Oh gods."

Kes stops in her tracks upon seeing the kids. Her eyes desperately scan for Felicity, but become locked on the three children. I did this.

Lamm would have to wait. Rushing towards the fallen children, Kes kneels beside them and begins to check for heartbeats. "I'm here to help. Please, say something. Please." They were moving, that was something. If only she had paid more attention in class at the Bank.

Heal check I guess: [roll0]

Sorry I was gone for a while there. All caught up now.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-21, 08:33 PM
aside from a few bruises and one knot the size of an acorn, the children are more or less fine, nothing a good nights sleep won't fix. a quick check around the room shows you that none of the children are Felicity, and that oddly none of the children will speak to you or make eye contact with you, other than the grubby child who first spoke to you.

"yo'r na with the boss are ya! Yo'r h're ta save us! Are you looking for someone? i can help!"

Angstrom
2013-01-21, 09:07 PM
Thank the gods. The children would recover soon. They won't talk though; strange. What had Lamm done to them. "What's your name sweetheart? Can you tell me where Gaedren Lamm is? He's under arrest."

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-22, 12:01 AM
"Yo'r here for the boss! I know where he is! Yangrin send the bad girl to her. He's down in his play ground. I'm Gruller, I can show you, yes yes!"

Before Kes can say anything he takes her by the hand and leads her out and down the hallway pulling her towards the stairs

Angstrom
2013-01-22, 12:21 AM
"Thank you so much Gruller, but maybe let one of these men go first. We don't want the bad man to be mad at you." Kes urges the child as she is yanked away. "You children stay there until we've arrested Gaedren Lamm. Don't leave until we say so, Lamm may try to hurt you if you do."

As she sets off to the stairs with Gruller she gestures to the others to follow suit, "One of you stay and protect the children! Lamm's men may try to use them as hostages if we give them the chance."

Not meant to be an order for one of the guys to stay and watch the kids; just her concern for their safety. Felicity is still missing however, and Kes isn't going to stop looking, not with Gruller allusion to a 'bad girl' in the 'playground'. Not until the girl is found.

Since with Expeditious Retreat active she can easily move faster in one move than the girl can in two, Kes is going to cast Guidance on herself, then Enhanced Diplomacy, then Guidance on Gruller, then ready channeled energy. She'll refresh the Guidance after the skill checks if you'll allow it. If not just subtract 1 from the rolls.

Sense Motive: [roll1]

North_Ranger
2013-01-22, 01:48 AM
Chugging a CLW... [roll0]

Okay, it's official. The dice roller wants Hardek to die :smallfrown:

"I'm not too good with the wee ones", Hardek said as he grimaced. His head still throbbed badly, meaning that the wound was still not fully-healed. Low-quality healing potions, how fitting for a dump such as this...

"I'll come with you, but you need to keep them buggers off of me. I'm guessing these healing potions are half rat-piss."

Hypertext
2013-01-22, 11:25 AM
"I don't think any of us are in good enough shape to be left alone up here honestly. Right now I think it's best that we stay together Kes. The children will be ok." Merik kneels down next to one of the unharmed kids and tells him to bar the door and wait for them to return to open it again. Alright lads lets catch up to Kes and make sure this Gruller kid isn't leading her into a trap." Merik jogs after Kes to catch up as best he can.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-22, 12:46 PM
Something about the way Gruller is speaking is wrong, he keeps slipping in and out of his accent and you're sure that while he is telling you the truth, he's holding something back...

With Gruller out of the room, the boy Merik is leaning down next to tugs his sleeve...

As Kes is trying her best to slow the child down to question him, she notices something...

The boy Tugging on Meriks arm identifies himself as Kester...

While Kes is trying to turn Gruller around his hair falls back from his ear, its oddly pointed,

"you have to help her, thats no child..."

Gruller is a Gnome, who suddenly has a Kukri in his hand, bringing it around in a wicked ark, trying to hack off Kes' hand

"He's a horrible gnome named Hookshanks, he'll gut her like a fish once they're alone, once he's dead, me and the little Lambs will help you"

OOC

Attack roll
[roll0]
damage roll
[roll1]

North_Ranger
2013-01-22, 01:01 PM
"He's a what?!" Hardek barked incredulously, only a split second before he heard the familiar sound of steel cutting flesh. Not staying behind to wait, he runs up to where he can see Kes and the gnome-in-child's-clothing.

"Hey! Pint-size!" he called as he lifted his bow and fired. It was a tricky shot, with the gnome and Kes being so close together...

Gonna have to suck a -4 for firing into melee, but Hardek's in no shape to get into axe-range.

[roll0]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-22, 01:18 PM
Hardek's arrow flies through the air, missing both Hookshanks and thankfully Kes, lodging itself in the wall with a *Thrum*

Angstrom
2013-01-22, 01:34 PM
Thankfully, something about the little ones movements alerted Kes to the incoming blade, otherwise the cut may have gone for her neck. Crying out loudly from pain, Kes nearly loses her grip on her key. If Lamm didn't already know they were here, he certainly did now.

Grabbing her slashed wrist with her free hand, Kes almost unleashes a necrotic wave then and there, but hesitates, worrying for the children in the nearby room.

She won't channel energy unless she's more than 30ft from the room with the little kids. If she isn't, she'll take a withdraw action to get away from Gruller. Out of charge range.

If she is, [roll0]+DC17 Will save or dazed, and then move away from the gnome (out of charge range).

Thattaman
2013-01-22, 01:46 PM
Anthony takes the bottle and empties it, dropping it on the ground afterwards.

CLW roll: [roll0]

When the child turned out to be a Gnome Anthony cursed him and charged at him, swinging his longword at his head.

Attack [roll1] Damage [roll2]

North_Ranger
2013-01-22, 02:18 PM
Hardek cursed and pulled a new arrow from his quiver. Drawing his shortbow, he took aim and waited for an opportune shot...

Readied action: fire at Hookshanks the moment he's not in melee with anyone. That's 1d20+3 for 1d6 damage.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-22, 02:22 PM
Kes knows she would harm the children again if she were to channel here, even more so than before, as she is closer to the children's room than she was when she was fighting on the floor below, she breaks free of the Gnomes grasp and flees back into the fishery
Before Hookshanks has a chance to react the mighty paladin separates his head from his shoulders, a fan of blood filling the air

Hypertext
2013-01-22, 02:23 PM
Merik's eyes widen as the child informs him of the gnome "Kes get out of there!! But it seems it's too late and she has already been injured. Merik springs into action and runs at the gnome as fast as he can trying to grapple him and maybe take him alive if possible but stops immediately in his tracks as Anthony lops the Gnome's head off. Whoa. Well played Anthony." Merik turns around and heads back to the child he spoke with earlier.

Angstrom
2013-01-22, 02:37 PM
"Another save. Thank you, paladin, your timing is once again impecable." Her eyes close for a moment as she rests her good hand on the bleeding mess on her other. White light fills her mind as the skin stitches back together.

Straightening up once more. Kes's eyes turn to Gruller headless corpse. The sight of a child's body lying decapitated on the stairs was hard to look at, and instead she turns her gaze to where the cretin had been leading her. What was the bastard planning? Had he really been leading her to Lamm? Worth checking anyhow, she thinks as she starts to investigate.

[roll0]

North_Ranger
2013-01-22, 02:42 PM
"A clean kill for a filthy little wretch", Hardek said approvingly as he lowered his bow and turned back to look at the kids. "It's alright now, the little blighter's dead. Stay back there, it isn't a pretty sight", he said before walking over to the little creature to pat him down.

"Oh, and Kes?" the dwarf said. "Here", he continued, pulling out the wand from his pack and throwing it to the woman. "Got it from that redrobe. See if it's any use to you."

Thattaman
2013-01-22, 03:07 PM
Anthony smiles at the appreciation. "Thank you, although it is Iomedae's attack, I just swing the sword."

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-22, 04:23 PM
At the sound of Hookshanks' death, The Lambs come out of their room, with Kester at the lead, most of the children have fear in their eyes, not sure if its some kind of trick, but Kester is made of sterner stuff, when he seeks the headless body, he simply nods and turns to the rest of the children

"Go grab what you can to arm yourselves, then head back to the room and bar the door like the man said, don't open it unless someone knocks three times then two then four."

the Lambs flood the work floor, grabbing brooms and poles from a closet, one or two fish out a knife or a cleaver, Kester comes back with a pitch fork as the rest of the children slip back into the bunk room

"We couldn't be sure of who you were or what your intentions but when you said you were here to arrest Gaedren I figured you were a better hope than most of the goons that visit here after hours. We feared Hookshanks almost as much as we fear Lamm, that one was aweful to us, he knifed my brother and pushed him into the grinder while he made me crank, i swore on that day i'd see him dead, one way or another. Who was it the lady was looking for? We've lost a lot of children here since I was taken so be prepared, it might be bad news i have for you."

North_Ranger
2013-01-23, 04:50 AM
Anthony smiles at the appreciation. "Thank you, although it is Iomedae's attack, I just swing the sword."

"Yes, and when you take a dump, it's the Inheritor relieving herself", Hardek chuckled as he emptied Gruller's pockets. "No offence, though. You just reminded me of my little brother. He's a paladin, too... and he keeps dismissing compliments as well." Hardek sighed deeply and with melancholy, a sad expression on his face - which looked quite odd, considering he was ransacking the remains of a decapitated gnome.

"I miss my little brother."

Thattaman
2013-01-23, 12:23 PM
"Yes, and when you take a dump, it's the Inheritor relieving herself", Hardek chuckled as he emptied Gruller's pockets. "No offence, though. You just reminded me of my little brother. He's a paladin, too... and he keeps dismissing compliments as well." Hardek sighed deeply and with melancholy, a sad expression on his face - which looked quite odd, considering he was ransacking the remains of a decapitated gnome.

"I miss my little brother."

"And that is the kind of thing that my little brother would have said. Although he is different to you, he was too full of himself, I miss him too, although i wouldn't want him around."

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-23, 02:59 PM
Hookshanks doesn't have much in the way of gear on him, under his tattered orphans clothing you find a set of studded leather armor. in his various pockets are a disguise kit, and a heavy iron key, his kukri has clattered down the stairs

Kester's face softens for a moment when the talk turns to brothers, his eyes watering. but he shakes his head and his eyes are set with grim determination

North_Ranger
2013-01-23, 03:06 PM
"Aww crud", Hardek cursed when he saw Kester's face. "I... I'm sorry, little fellow. I should have thought first and spoken second.", he apologized, truly feeling sorry for the little human boy. "This key... do you know where it goes?"

Thattaman
2013-01-23, 03:08 PM
"Come on, let's kill the man who killed my family," Anthony says as he smashes leads through any door that hasn't been checked. "Do you know where Lamm would be?" He asks the children.

Angstrom
2013-01-23, 06:49 PM
"Gruller was leading me down these stairs. If Lamm still has allies in this building, then that's where he would have been taking me."

Turning to Kester, "Hello, my name is Amanda. I am looking for a very dear friend of mind. Her name is Felicity and she was kidnapped three days ago."

If Kester needs it, Kes will provide a description of the girl.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-23, 07:09 PM
Kester's eyes go wide when you mention Felicity

"Gods, we have you hurry!! he's got her, down in the playground! he took her tonight, we always hear sounds, growls and splashing...and screams... after one of us is taken, but not one knows what goes on down there, no one who gets taken to Lamm's playground ever comes back! quickly, down stairs take the other door, Hookshanks was probably leading you there so he could stab you in the back, gods we have to hurry!"

Kester leads you down stairs to the door, which is locked

"i have to go look after the children, we'll be safe up there now that we're armed. just go and save her, you have to hurry! and spit in Lamm's eye, for us"

Angstrom
2013-01-23, 10:43 PM
Panic. Now was the time for Panic.

Running down the stairs faster than should be possible, she rattles the door angrily. No time to pick the lock, "You! Get this door open. Now!"

Lamm had Felicity. Gods, let her be alive.

North_Ranger
2013-01-24, 03:37 AM
"Aside, woman!" Hardek yelled and ran to the doorway, the iron key still in his hand. He pushed Kes aside and tried if the key fitted... Please, let it fit.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-24, 06:03 PM
*click* the key fits
the door swings open into a huge, dark room, it is easily as large as half the entire first floor. This place stinks of the river and rotting wood and fish. it takes your eyes a moment to adjust to the gloom but you see that it is dominated by a large hole in the floor, opening directly on the river, the water is roiling from something below. the rest of the room is littered with trash and the only light source is on the far side of the hole, a few torches and candles, round an old man sitting at a table wearing a wide brimmed black hat holding a rope in one hand, a glowing knife in the other, and something about 3 feet high sobbing next to him. a child

as you open the door he puts down the knife and pulls in on the rope, propelling the child to the rafters, where she dangles, sobbing...

*drip drip*
blood falls from her finger tips down into the water a good 15 feet below
*drip drip*
"heh heh heh heh, what do we have here?more goons just dying to join the gang, or heroes come to end my days? what do you think Felicity? A dwarf, a human, an awfully big half-elf, and a woman... i know you all, except you woman, but i expect you're here for this one.." Gaedren lets Felicity slip an inch closer to the water *drip drip*"Merik, you should have did as i asked, Kaleena would be warming your bed still, not down in the cold cold ground like she is now. The same to you Anthony, though prison seems to have done you well. I can only assume our dwarven friend is from the mighty Halfear clan, about time too, you dwarves are even slower than you look, your gold and gems and precious bits are gone you know, long gone, but here you are... now about all this nonsense, all of you put down your weapons, lay down your gold,and i'll let the girl live... choice is yours."

Angstrom
2013-01-24, 06:15 PM
"Felicity!" Kes screams as the girl is propelled into the air.

"Don't, Lamm, don't. Here," she pleads as she unbuckles her weapons belt and lets it clatter to the floor. She pulls her coin purse from her jacket pocket as well and drops it next to the knife and crossbow. "I'll do what you ask. Please, let her live. I'm begging you."

Question: is her expeditious retreat still active?

Also, just noting that her holy symbol (key) is still in her fist. Probably necessary later.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-24, 07:10 PM
"That goes for all of you..."

Lamm lets felicity slip another foot
*drip drip*
while a massive crocodile surfaces, its huge maw yawning open, only for the beast to hiss and snap them shut faster than you can believe

North_Ranger
2013-01-25, 04:11 AM
Hardek cursed, his bow and arrow at the ready as he took stock of the situation. If he shot Gaedren Lamm, the bugger would let go of the rope and the girl would end up as gator-chow. And even if he dropped his bow right now and started running, he still wouldn't be fast enough to catch her before the gator.

No... he had to change the equation some other way. The gator perhaps? Hardek wracked his brain as he tried to estimate how the beast's lizard brain would work. There was no beast that could resist a tasty morsel like the little girl... but no animal would stop to eat if its life was threatened. But the beast was in a frenzy already, eager for a meal...

Knowledge (Nature) to estimate if the gator, provoked by, say, an arrow to its eye, would turn its attention to the party - a deadly threat - from the girl.

[roll0] (+2 from Favored Enemy, +1 from Devotee of the Green trait)

EDIT: Goddammit, dice roller...

Thattaman
2013-01-25, 11:14 AM
"Free the girl and we'll give you a clean death." Anthony says, seething. He then turns to Kes. "Don't give into him, that's what he wants, if we let him live, how many of those kids we saw before do you think will see another day? Would you rather hundreds of children were killed by this psychopath or just her?"

Angstrom
2013-01-25, 02:02 PM
"No! Gaedren, don't listen to him. We're surrendering. We are. Just let me take her down. Please." Tears stain Kes's cheeks as she begins to take cautious steps towards Felicity. What would happen? Under the tears and frightened exterior, the cogs spin faster than ever. What could be done to save her. Gripping her key tight, she offers a silent prayer to the Master of the First Vault and takes another step. "Please Gaedren."

Abadar willing, she'd get to Felicity in time. That this so called paladin would allow a girl to die without hesitation meant it was up to her to save Felicity. If the Iomedaen wouldn't help her save Felicity, what chance was there that the two ruffians would?

So nervous sweat and genuine tears going on. Game plan is that she's going to try and get as close to Felicity as possible before the others make Lamm angry enough to drop her, which at this point she's sure Anthony is going to do. Ready action to make a running jump and catch Felicity before she falls into the croc-pit.

Bluff (to make Lamm think she's harmless): [roll0]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-25, 05:13 PM
Hardek knows that this breed of river croc is known to be particularly cantankerous and unruly

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-25, 05:35 PM
"Heh heh heh, best you walk gingerly, ol' Gobblegut is not a patient creature"

Hypertext
2013-01-25, 05:36 PM
"FU** YOU LAMM!! Leave the girl out of this or gods help me I will tear you apart with my bare hands. You aren't taking anyone else from anybody ever." Merik spits. He is visibly shaking with rage.

Merik won't take any hostile actions until he feels that Felicity is out of harms way or a lost cause

Hypertext
2013-01-25, 05:53 PM
Lets do an Intimidate check in that last post as well.

Intimidate [roll0]

Thattaman
2013-01-25, 05:54 PM
"LET HER GO!" Anthony shouts, Longsword still in his hand. "Don't you think you've ruined enough families? Before you die, tell my why. Why did you kill my parents? What did they have on you that meant that they needed to be killed?"

North_Ranger
2013-01-28, 10:21 AM
Hardek cursed to himself. They were getting nowhere fast. Lamm would not let them get close without dropping the girl, and if they let go of their weapons, they were as good as dead.

Kes, I hope you have a plan.

Not a word was uttered as Hardek turned his bow towards the snapping crocodile, and fired. He aimed not necessarily to kill, but to hurt the blighter, make it turn its attention away from Felicity. And maybe, just maybe, to catch Lamm off-guard long enough to create an opening for hungry blades and readied spells.

The bow thrummed, sending the arrow flying towards the crocodile. Hardek did not stop to wait for it to hit, already reaching for a new arrow. "HEY UGLY! Over here!" he yelled at the croc, hoping that the others had caught the opening.

Lemme know if this hits. If not, I'll spend the harrow point to re-roll:

[roll0] (plus any benefits you can give me from the Knowledge (Nature) roll)
Damage [roll1] (+2 from Favoured Enemy)

North_Ranger
2013-01-28, 10:22 AM
Crud, one short of threatening critical... :smalltongue:

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-28, 02:19 PM
Hardek's Arrow strikes true, though clearly unhindered the massive Croc enrages, and starts to pull himself up into the room to bare down on the first target he sees

Lamm is no stranger to Gobblegut's rages, he lets go of the rope and stumbles back with a curse, drawing a hand crossbow

Felicity plummets to the water below all but forgotten by the massive croc, going in with a splash, she disappears under the black fetid water, only to reappear moments later with a sputter, she begins to tread water

Gobblegut finally hauls it's massive bulk out of the water and wheels his massive head towards Kes, all alone...

OOC

think of this room as a square doughnut, with you guys at the bottom left corner, lams is in the middle of the right side, kes and gobble gut are in the middle of the bottom side, with felicity in the hole in the center, you can't move to Lamm in one turn from where you are, it will take 2 turns to get there by going left and gobblegut is to your right

North_Ranger
2013-01-28, 02:41 PM
"Oy! Over here, beastie!" Hardek yelled as he fired again, aiming at the soft spots he noticed behind the massive beast's skull and on its sides. "C'mon, ya ugly son of a salamander! Betcha can't touch me!" he continued yelling, trying to draw the beast's attention away from his comrades. He could only hope that his comrades would be on top of their game; Lamm and the croc were still very much alive, and Felicity's thrashing would surely bring other predators in - especially if Lamm had been throwing little children into the water.

Move northwards, continue firing at Gobblegut.

[roll0]

Angstrom
2013-01-28, 03:13 PM
"No!" Kes's scream is singular and intense as Felicity falls into the black water of the Jeggare.

Already in motion, Kes unleashes a wave of energy as she dives past the crocodile into the drink. At least the crocodile was above them, but there could still be devilfish and reefclaws in the water.

The channeling assumes she's out of range of the children upstairs and that she'll still have enough movement (40ft) to jump after Felicity.

Channel: [roll0], DC17 Will or Dazed for 1 round.

Acrobatics: [roll1] if necessary to avoid an AoO from the croc. Preferably she'll avoid provoking one. Also as her jump being aimed to land near to Felicity.

Thattaman
2013-01-28, 03:21 PM
Anthony charges at Lamm. His sword glows blue then blue light shoots out and hits Lamm, seeming to have no effect, but Anthony keeps on running.

Using smite evil on Lamm, although I'm not attacking him this turn, smite evil will also give me +2 to AC.

Hypertext
2013-01-28, 05:11 PM
"I'm going to grab the croc and keep it off of you Kes! Make it count!!. With that Merik starts to run towards the croc as swiftly as possible. "Merik what the hells are you doing... GAAAAHHHH!!!!! he whispers to himself as he tries to jump on top of the croc to subdue it.

Grapple Check [roll0]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-28, 05:53 PM
Gobblegut's head swings towards Hardek after the 2nd arrow thuds into its side and he charges trying to bring his full wrath to bare, trying to snap its jaws down

as the negative energy washes over him he stumbles but carries on, sending a tail lash at Kes, who effortlessly vaults over it and dives into the water. while Merik gets a hold on the big croc, Gobblegut shakes him off easily, tossing him against the wall with his mighty bulk and sending his tail lashing at him

Across the room, Lamm eyes the mighty paladin, sneering and laughing, he takes a shoot with his crossbow, before moving farther back into his sanctum moving out of sight

OOC

Gobblegut attacks hardek
1d20+5
damage
[roll0]
assuming successful GG uses grab on Hardek for a free grapple
[roll1]
tail lash at Merik
[roll2]
damage
[roll3]
lamm attacks Anthony
[roll4]
damage
[roll5]

Hypertext
2013-01-28, 06:05 PM
Merik is used to blunt force trauma and the hit from the wall behind him could have been much worse. C'mer you cold blooded son of a bitch" He yells as he tries to grapple the beast again,

Grapple [roll0]

North_Ranger
2013-01-28, 06:06 PM
"Oh no you don't!" Hardek almost laughed when he jumped away from the crocodile's clamping jaws. The blighter was fast, he had to give the crocodile that, but the dwarf was now out for blood. Intent on keeping Gobblegut from going after Felicity, the hardy dwarf nocked a new arrow - just in time to see Merik get flinged off the beast's back.

"Go for its eyes!" the dwarf tried to advise, firing a new arrow at Gobblegut, aiming at the back of its open maw...

Move twenty feet (or as much the room allows) to the west, and fire at Gobblegut.

[roll0]

Angstrom
2013-01-28, 09:26 PM
Down in the black water of the Jeggare, Kes flails to keep her head above water. "Felicity!" she yells between breaths of putrid river water, "I'm coming. Hold on." In the darkness, Kes has trouble making out the little girl's form. Clawing at the water to get close to the girl, Kes looks to grab the rope that the girl had been lifted on as well as any of the support pilings on which the fishery stands.

So this could be bad. Swim: [roll0] or preferably acrobatics to move to Felicity via the rope and pilings [roll1]

And perception [roll2] for ways out and approaching hazards/monsters.

Let me know if she gets to the girl this turn in which case I'll edit in more information.

Thattaman
2013-01-29, 03:05 PM
The blue light around Anthony protects him from the bolt and he continues his charge at Lamm.

Running at Lamm, I'm now 60 ft. closer. How far away is he?

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-30, 05:42 PM
With Hardek firmly out of reach, Gobblegut indulges Merik's wishes, swinging his massive head around to Face the half-elf. Lunging forward to snap his jaws around a limb and lock them in place, just as the dwarf lets fly an arrow that skitters off the beasts armored skull to sink deep into the meat of Merik's thigh

Kes plunges into the black water but is unable to keep her head above water, and as her head falls below the surface, she sees nothing in the murky depths, not Felicity, nor the denizens of the river, nor the bottom

The last thing Kes hears before is Felicity sputtering, trying in vain to keep her head above water.

Anthony can't see where Lamm has gone, he seems to have vansihed, but he finds his sitting area a table and chairs, there is an odd assortment of brika brak around, and a door way leading somewhere

GG bites Merik
[roll0]
damage
[roll1]
grab
[roll2]

Hypertext
2013-01-30, 05:57 PM
Merik easily bobs out of the way of the crocs jaws as they snap at him only to feel the tell tail sign of pain as it shoots through his left thigh. Before he can look down at the wound he locks eyes with Hardek and knows what just have happened. Gah!! What are you doing!?" He yells at Hardek. "It's ok... i'm ok... this is a lot of blood..." Merik's face blanches noticeably and he does his best to get into a defensive position to protect himself.

Luckily Merik was missed by the croc but Hardek's arrow hit him real good. He is now at 1 HP and will be using Total Defense (AC 20) to hopefully still pose a target and assist his comrades and give him a slightly better chance to not be outright killed.

Angstrom
2013-01-30, 07:45 PM
Oh Aroden.

The cold of the river water, so unexpected, jolted Kes's nerves as she plunged beneath the blackness. Eyes wide, she treads desperately, seeking air and the water's surface.

Drowning could be bad; oh well.

Swim: [roll0]

North_Ranger
2013-01-31, 09:17 AM
"Torag's balls and Desna's tits", Hardek cursed as he discarded the bow, seeing as how he couldn't get a clear shot without hitting Merik. "Get outta there, ya daft git!" he kept cursing, his dwarven accent starting to show in the heat of combat. Picking up his trusty axe, Hardek tried to move closer to the beast, in order to engage its tail-end. "Anthony! Stop staring around in there and help me get this damn thing offa Merik! He's bleedin' bad!"

Okay, can't engage the croc at this round because I had to switch weapons. Move closer, preferably into a position where Hardek and Anthony can flank the beastie, then try and kill it before he rips Merik a new one.

PeglegJim
2013-01-31, 05:44 PM
There's a sound of a door breaking down and metal dragging on the floor followed by the noise of a snarling dog. A pale skinned half-orc with oversized tusks walks in. He's covered from head to toe in scars and runic markings with a prominent glowing one on his forehead. He drags a greataxe on the floor and is clad in a dirty, ragged hide shirt. Accompanying him is some kind of canine creature resembling a dire wolf which reeks of decay. It's fur hide is red and matted and it's mouth is grossly oversized.

"LAMM, you have to be here somewhere!" the half orc bellows. "Bet it's like hearing a ghost, old man." He looks at the beast he traveled in with. "Take care of his pet Crusk." The creature charges the crocodile. "I will relish every moment of this. I've been dreaming about this ever since you cut me up and threw me on the garbage pile Lamm." The half-orc continues to walk around looking for Lamm, dragging the greataxe behind him with one hand and casting a spell with the other.

PeglegJim
2013-01-31, 05:47 PM
Crusk is charging Gobblegut with a bite attack while Biff moves 5 or 10 feet towards wherever he thinks Lamm is and casts guidance on Crusk

Crusk attack: [roll0]

Crusk damage: [roll1]

Oh and yes, I got the go ahead from Cromwell. Sorry if I laid the exposition on a little bit thick.

EDIT: Had to change some stuff, since I didn't get that last part about Lamm disappearing. Let me know if there's any more issues.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-31, 06:29 PM
As Gobblegut moves in to lay low the mighty Merik, Biff and Crusk's entrance take the beast totally by surprise, the abomination taking a savage chunk out of the crocs flank, Gobblegut turns to face this new foe, with jaws snapping and tail slashing

our heroes hear a familiar *thum* as a crossbow bolt streaks towards the half-orc

Felicity flails wildy trying to do what ever she can to bring her head above water

Gobblegut not looking too pretty, attacks crusk
bite
[roll0]
damage
[roll]1d8+4[roll]
grab grapple
[roll1]
tail
[roll2]
damage
[roll3]
Lamm attacks Biff
[roll4]
damage
[roll5]

North_Ranger
2013-01-31, 06:36 PM
Hardek could hardly believe what was happening. Suddenly there was a pissed-off orc and a diseased-looking wolf-thing in the room... and they were on the same side as them! Not wanting to waste an opportunity, Hardek maneuvered into a better position and sought to hammer the heavily bleeding croc into submission, one pulverized internal organ at a time.

If need be, move to flank Gobblegut with Crusk, and attack with battleaxe.

Attack: [roll0] (two-handed grip, +2 from Favored Enemy, +2 from flank)

EDIT: YOU HAVE GOT TO BE F***ING KIDDING ME, DICE ROLLER!!!

PeglegJim
2013-01-31, 06:40 PM
Crusk slumps to the ground unconscious. The half-orc while not looking at what happened looks greatly disturbed, and then very angry.

"Lamm, you bastard!" He picks up the greataxe and swings at Lamm.

Biff attack: [roll0]
Biff damage: [roll1]

Hypertext
2013-01-31, 06:41 PM
Merik yells a triumphant roar as he sees the mangy animal attack the croc and pull its attention away. "I'm no help to you with this fight I'm going to try to save Kes and the girl!" Merik shouts towards Hardek. Merik moves towards the water and removes his armored coat letting it clunk onto the floor and dives in.

Merik will remove his armored coat as a move action and then dive in the water to save Felicity as fast as he can. After that he will dive down to grab Kes. If he can get both at once he will try that as well.

Swim check [roll0]

PeglegJim
2013-01-31, 06:50 PM

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-31, 06:57 PM
Hardek's blade slides harmlessly off on of gobblegut's armored scutes covering his body

Merik dives into the water, powerful strokes bring him right to Felicity, the girl is still alive

North_Ranger
2013-01-31, 06:59 PM
Hardek cursed violently and kept on swinging, hellbent on sending the croc to meets its makers.

Probably some manner of crocodilian ancestral gods or something...

Okay, let's try that again.

[roll0]

PeglegJim
2013-01-31, 07:11 PM
Unable to see his target and going into a panicked rage over the defeat of his companion, he runs off to save Crusk

"Get away from Crusk ugly!" he yells, not getting the irony of his statement.

attack(charge not factored in but add +2 if possible) [roll0]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-01-31, 07:38 PM
*Shunk* Biff's blade sinks deep into the beasts back, it belllows and tries to rise before succumbing to its wounds, its flops into the pool of blood surrounding it, dead, though the blood begins to seem through the floor boards, to drip into the river

Hypertext
2013-01-31, 08:03 PM
Merik brings Felicity back to the edge of the water and yells for some help getting her out of the water. "Someone grab this little one I gotta get Kes!". One deep breath later Merik divesback into the water to find their companion.

Swim check to grab Kes [roll0]

PeglegJim
2013-01-31, 08:26 PM
The half-orc looks down at the canine creature and yells in frustration. Unable to do anything more for Crusk, he dismisses it back to whichever plane it came from.

Angstrom
2013-01-31, 11:19 PM
The blackness all around. All around. Despite all her efforts, Kes's flailing does nothing to bring the surface any closer.

Movement next to her. Bubbles, and a body. The reptile? No, the brawler. Save Felicity. Her silent screams seemed to be heard as the shadowed form moves out of sight into the blackness.

Good she thinks as her eyes close beneath the surface. Felicity would get home safe. and the darkness would swallow her.

Swim: [roll0]

I think my character just developed aquaphobia.

Thattaman
2013-02-01, 12:19 PM
Anthony looks in awe at the half-orc, he'd never seen a creature like his wolf or a humanoid like Biff. He then scans the room for Lamm searching for any traces of evil.

Perception: [roll0] Using detect evil.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-02-01, 12:40 PM
anothony doesn't see anyone, but he does hear the familiar *thrum* of a crossbow firing just in time for a bolt to go streaking towards his unprotected head

Lamm attacks Anothony
[roll0]
damage
[roll1]
sneak attack
[roll2]

PeglegJim
2013-02-01, 12:42 PM
"crusk could find Lamm, if I could heal him and get him a meal." says Biff, getting up and continuing the search.

He casks another spell and summons an invisible disk to protect him upon hearing the crossbow.

Also casting shield.

North_Ranger
2013-02-01, 12:48 PM
"Merik! It's too dangerous to go alone! Take this!" Hardek yelled before the man dived, shoving him the healing potion before extending a gloved hand to grab the little girl by her dress.

"It's alright now, little one. It's alright. Uncle Hardek's gotcha now. Don't worry about Kes, Merik'll bring her up, you'll see", the haggard dwarf tried to calm down the obviously frightened girl. Quickly he removed the hornbow-engraved clasp from his cloak, wrapping the warm green cloth around Felicity as he lifted her up.

"It's going to be alright..."

Cleric Cromwell
2013-02-01, 01:34 PM
As Hardek lifts Felicity clear of the water he sees movement from the corner of the room... Lamm, the crook backed old fiend, loading his crossbow again

Hypertext
2013-02-01, 01:38 PM
"Hardek you are a life saver." Says Merik as he quickly gulps down the potion before diving back in the murky depths to find Kes.

I think it's a Cure light so here goes [roll0]
Swim [roll1]
Perception [roll2]

North_Ranger
2013-02-01, 01:59 PM
Speech is a free action, right? :smallbiggrin:

"Anthony! Half-orc! To your right, in the corner!" Hardek called out, immediately turning Felicity away from Lamm, shielding her with his body if Lamm decided to fire on the girl. He did his best to calm the panicked, coughing girl as best he could while wrapping his arms around her and pressing her against his chest, as if mimicking a hairy, bloodied and sweaty armadillo.

Hardek will take total defense if possible - but I think he can't, since he already spent his actions (1.) shoving Merik the bottle and (2.) hauling up Felicity. If he can, however, add +4 to his AC.

Felicity gets total cover from Hardek's short but broad-shouldered frame, right?

Thattaman
2013-02-01, 02:38 PM
Anthony hears Hardek's call and looks to where he said, Lamm is there, not looking quite as happy anymore. He charges him, swinging his longsword to strike the man who killed his parents.

Charge at Lamm using power attack and smite evil, I want to kill this man. [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Edit: DAMMIT! A FIVE!

Cleric Cromwell
2013-02-01, 02:39 PM
Merik swims hard and fast as his wounds close up, finding Kes in a murky depths, there's still some life left in this one
but in the distance, a dark shape detaches itself from the gloom, a sleek predatory shape, it seems fit to lurk in the distance, but for how long

North_Ranger
2013-02-01, 02:51 PM
Hardek quickly carried Felicity back to the doorway and dropped her on her bare feet on the floor. "You have to run now, Felicity. Go, run back to the other children. Don't worry about the gnome, he's dead. Go, little one! Run fast and don't look back! Uncle Hardek won't let Lamm get you."

If Felicity did as she was told, Hardek would pick up his bow and arrow again, aiming calmly at Lamm's sneering face...

Not able to fire on this round...

PeglegJim
2013-02-01, 03:11 PM
The half-orc smiles and goes up to Lamm, swinging with his greataxe.

with charge if possible(not factored in roll).
Attack: [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Cleric Cromwell
2013-02-01, 04:45 PM
Lamm is caught off guard by the Half-orc charge, and is barely able to turn and see his attacker before his head goes sailing through the air to rest at Athony's feet

Lamm has a masterwork dagger, a masterwork hand crossbow and a ring of keys

North_Ranger
2013-02-01, 04:54 PM
Hardek lowered his bow when he saw Lamm's head fly up in the air, splattering blood from the cut where Anthony's sword has severed it from the rest of Lamm's body.

"The head is mine", the dwarf proclaimed solemnly. "Put in a sack for me, will you? I will put it in a jar with some pickles, and send the thing back to Janderhoff. The clan Halfear will now that the man who wronged us is no more."

"But not by my hand", he continued, a deep sigh rising from his throat as he slid his bow back in the quiver. "It seems my journey must yet continue."

He then turned his face towards the well in the middle of the room, and a sudden realization dawned upon him. "Desna's tits! Kes and Merik are still down there! Quick, give me a knife! I'm going after them!" the dwarf yelled, starting to remove his armor and garments as fast as he could. He feared something had gone amiss in the water.

Hypertext
2013-02-01, 05:29 PM
Merik gently grabs Kes and starts to bring her towards the surface when he spots the black glob lurking just at the edge of her vision. "Oh Sh**" He thinks and immediately his fight or flight response kicks in. This time it's flight and he makes every possible effort to get the hell out of the water as quickly as possible. He will push Kes up before him if it comes down to it.

Swim check for super speed!! [roll0]

PeglegJim
2013-02-01, 05:29 PM
The half-orc stared for a second at the head that just went sailing through the air. And then started laughing. Not a malicious laugh, more of a carefree laugh. As if he found the unexpected circumstances genuinely hilarious.

He then heard the dwarf, shrugged, and kicked the dagger to Hardeck.

"You can have the dagger. We can dispute the head later." the half orc said as he picked up the crossbow.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-02-05, 02:14 PM
Merik gets Kes up and out of the water and pulls himself free, just in time to see a grey fin break the surface and then disappear back into the watery deep
with the party back together and Lamm dead, what will our brave adventurous do?

Angstrom
2013-02-05, 02:31 PM
Coughing up river water, Kes's blurred vision still makes out the large fin below. "Hell's Bells, Merik" she sputters between, gasps of air, "Thank you. Where is she?"

Rising to her feet, she flinches at the scarred half orc, but quickly lowers her guard once she sees he is on their side. Lamm's headless corpse, meant that she and the paladin wouldn't get to have their argument after all. Still, the head could be used to collect a bounty, so there'd be use for it. But where was Felicity?

Yelling her name out, Kes takes off running. Water dripping from her clothes as she sprints out of the room in search of the child.

No sharking after all. Sorry to have Kes run off again, but she'll be back once she's found the girl.

Thattaman
2013-02-05, 02:38 PM
"No one takes the head. We all want it and the last thing we need is to have a fight over something we've already killed." He picks the head up. "If anyone should have the head it should be Zellara, this monster killed her son and if it wasn't for her then Lamm would still be breathing."

PeglegJim
2013-02-05, 02:50 PM
The half-orc shrugs. "The gods have decreed that it's up to you, human, so do with it what you will. Now I must find a way to heal poor Crusk."

North_Ranger
2013-02-05, 03:07 PM
"Who are you, anyhow?" Hardek asked, staring at the half-orc suspiciously. He had helped them turn the tide, yes... but the sturdy dwarf still had his suspicions of the greenskin. "And what's your beef in all this?" he asked as he slid Lamm's dagger under his belt, apparently claiming the knife as a trophy.

"Best we scrounge this place clean and get the kids outta here. Once the news hits the streets that Lamm's dead, this place will be picked clean like a piece of bone in a goblin nest."

PeglegJim
2013-02-05, 04:19 PM
The half-orc gestures to the scars covering his body. "Lamm's handiwork." Most of it was anyway. "My name is Biff. Sometimes known as Biff the Rabid, or Biff the Feral or Biff-who lives in the sewers and eats rats. Bah, dumb nicknames from welps jealous about my talents. But some of them serve their purpose." He pockets the crossbow. "I'm selling this to heal my companion if it's all the same to you. Not that I'm asking permission of course. I should probably being the one asking questions, seeing as this is more my domain than yours, but I suppose it doesn't matter."

Hypertext
2013-02-05, 07:52 PM
Merik flops onto the broken wooden floor of the fishery and gives Kes a slow nod before she runs out of the room. "Can we just... take a break for a bit." He says between heavy breaths.

After a few minutes Merik stands up and puts his armored coat back on. " "Biff thanks for your help you may have saved me from being that reptiles lunch. Maybe now I can make it lunch for something else instead" Chuckles Merik as he shoves the gator corpse in the dark waters below. 'Right now lets give this place a once over like Hardek said and get back to Zellara."

Perception [roll0]

North_Ranger
2013-02-06, 04:44 AM
"Merik, wait! I was hoping to carve me a few teeth off that bugger. Besides, do you know how much a good croc hide is worth these days?"

If Hardek manages to stop Merik from shoving the Large corpse back into the water, he'll try and skin it.

Other than that... can he take take 20 on Perception to scrounge Lamm's warehouse of anything useful? Also, part of the redrobe's gear is still in the first room...

PeglegJim
2013-02-06, 11:24 AM
"So hungry..." Biff said as his stomach growled. He looked around the area for a while, having nothing better to do.

Search the area, paying special attention to food and healing items.

Hypertext
2013-02-06, 11:30 AM
"Hardek I can honestly say that I have no idea. If you can squeeze some money out of this scaly bastard then by all means. Is croc meat any good? Maybe we can provide our new friend with a meal... I can hear his growling stomach from here I think."

Cleric Cromwell
2013-02-06, 02:00 PM
Most of the huge room is strewn with junk, bits of broken armor, colorful cloth ripped to tatters brass cups with pits where jewels were pried out, but you manage to find some bits worth keeping, some gold and gems lost in the shuffle, and an ornate silver dagger, with a ruby in the hilt the size of a man's thumb nail, though the blade is small, its probably a letter opener. all totaled the hual is worth about 250 gold.
back in Lamms sitting area there is a dagger jammed into the table, and a plate of fish half eaten a mug of flat ale, a chunk of hard yellow cheese, and a heel of crusty bread.
behind the sitting area there is a door to what looks like Lamm's bedroom, which is a study in opulent decay. the bed is large and was once very fine, but since Gaedren never saw fit to change the sheets or take care of it, the plush velvet and rich fabrics are faded and musty, discolored in places, worthless

but at the foot of the bed are 2 lock boxes, one shaped like a typical footlocker, the other a cube, slightly discolored at the bottom

Hypertext
2013-02-06, 02:32 PM
Merik considers the two boxes in Lamm's room and tries to open them. (If they are locked) "Anyone have a knack for locks? I can try to rip these open but if anything is fragile inside it will probably break. Kes always has that key maybe she has some tools or something..."

Otherwise Merik will heft both boxes and carefully bring them out to pile with whatever other loot has been found.

Thattaman
2013-02-06, 02:35 PM
"Thievery has never interested me at all, I could probably crush the boxes and see what's inside."

PeglegJim
2013-02-06, 02:38 PM
"Aha!" Biff goes to Lamm's unfinished meal and eats it up eagerly. "Lamm had a keyring. Try that on some of the stuff round here." He yells out at Merrick between bites.

North_Ranger
2013-02-06, 03:09 PM
"I'll go and find Kes... Maybe she'll have a knack to get those boxes open", Hardek offered before walking back to the main room. "Kes? Felicity? Ladies, are you in here?" the dwarf called out.

So... do I need to roll something to skin the croc? And that Perception check? Can I take twenty or can't I?

Cleric Cromwell
2013-02-06, 03:24 PM
Kes finds Felicity, the girl is shivering, clearly in shock over what has happened to her, she is dirty and perhaps a bit underfed, but she seems fine until you look at her hands, which have had the skin flayed off the back of them in a the shape of an L

PeglegJim
2013-02-06, 04:11 PM
"I don't need some human girl to open some dumb locks." Biff swipes Lamm's keyring and tries it all the keys on the lockboxes and footlocker under Lamm's bed.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-02-06, 04:22 PM
Both lockboxes click, unlocked
which do you open first?

Thattaman
2013-02-06, 04:38 PM
"We should open the discoloured one first, see what's in it."

Hypertext
2013-02-06, 04:57 PM
"WHATS IN THE BOX!!!!". Merik Yells. He clears his throat and continues looking a bit embarrassed "Sorry old fighting injury... took a solid shot in the ear about 3 years ago and now sometimes I can't hear for short stints."

Cleric Cromwell
2013-02-06, 05:02 PM
you open the smaller box, and find blank dead eyes staring back at you, a severed head, that is strangely familiar, the black hair tied back in a head scarf, the chain running from ear to nose, a deck of cards jammed into her mouth

Zellara, your friend, and the whole reason you found Lamm at all... dead

PeglegJim
2013-02-06, 05:10 PM
"And I thought he was deranged before..." says Biff as he pushes it away and opens the other boxes. He had no attachment to her, but was still disgusted at the sight of it.

Hypertext
2013-02-07, 11:27 AM
Merik considers the severed head of Zellara for a moment. "Ugh... well at least he got the same treatment. There's that at least. So what's next everyone? maybe we can sit down over some beers and talk about options. Hardek you must know some good beer joints around here. Any suggestions?"

Thattaman
2013-02-07, 11:34 AM
Anthony stares at the head. "How did he kill her if we only saw here a few hours ago? Unless... she's undead." He looks at the others. "We need to bring the head back to Zellara, both of them. But first we need to look in the other box." Anthony tries to open the other box.

Strength check [roll0]

Angstrom
2013-02-07, 11:40 AM
Kes finds Felicity, the girl is shivering, clearly in shock over what has happened to her, she is dirty and perhaps a bit underfed, but she seems fine until you look at her hands, which have had the skin flayed off the back of them in a the shape of an L

"Thank the gods, child." Kes exclaims as she crumples to the floor next to the weeping Felicity, the river water on her cheeks mixing with tears of her own. Holding the girl close, she lets her body relax as a few more tears of relief run down her cheeks. "I'll get you home, child, I promise."

Staying locked in the embrace, she tired eyelids shut, but flash open in a moment. That blackness, all around.

When Hardek arrives, Kes is wrapping Felicity's hands in bandages. "What's the news, dwarf? The decrepit bastard is dead, but what of that stranger with the scars?"

Shrugging as she wrings water from her hair, "Are they still back there? I need to offer Merik thanks before getting this one home."

North_Ranger
2013-02-07, 03:44 PM
"The greenskin? Says he's called Biff the Rabbit or something like that. I guess he's fine, as far half-orcs go", Hardek said with a shrug. "There's some chests in the backroom, though... Me and others thought you might wanna take a crack at them, if we can't find the keys."

Not knowing yet of his companions' grisly discovery, Hardek turned his attention to Felicity. He had left the hide and meat of Gobblegut to wait in the pool room, using Lamm's cloak to wrap the bloody meat for carrying, but under his arm he carried the beast's severed head, his fingers in its eyes. "See? He ain't so scary anymore, little one. If you like, I can make you a necklace from one of his teeth as a keepsake. That way you can always remember that you need not fear", the dwarf offered with an honest smile. He really was willing to give the girl such a memento, if she wanted to.

Cleric Cromwell
2013-02-07, 04:17 PM
The footlocker opens with ease, being unlocked by Biff with one of the keys from the ring. Inside there are many far less grisly trophies.
There is a teak cigar box, inlaid with bits of jade, empty
a 2 pound gold ingot bearing the coat of arms of Cheliax
a tiny gold crown,
a scrimshaw kraken with garnet eyes
a silver ring
an ivory figurine of two Succubi entwined in love making
a master work shuriken
an adamantine arrowhead
an abalone shell holy symbol for Shelyn
one glass tube filled with an unknown liquid
a crystal tube similarly filled
a wand, about a foot long made of obsidian
and last but not least, a fabulous bejeweled brooch, masterfully crafted its perfection only marred by its broken clasp

PeglegJim
2013-02-07, 04:24 PM
Biff looks like he's never seen anything so expensive in his life. He rubs his hands together. "Alright, uh, let's say I'll take the succubi figurine, the gold ingot, and the wand. You can get the rest as payment for clearing the way for me."

Hypertext
2013-02-07, 04:32 PM
Mmmmm maybe she was a ghost or something Anthony. I hear that gypsy's can do all sorts of stuff like that...right? As far as splitting this haul up maybe we should get it all appraised and then we can work on some splits. That work for you Biff?" Merik says plainly. Then a big smile spreads across his face and he says "First round is on me boys. Let's grab our companions and get out of this hole.". Merik slaps Anthony on the shoulder and starts to walk towards where Kes and Hardek are. Once there he will do the code knock to let the children that are hold up in the bunk room to let them know it's safe.

Hypertext
2013-02-07, 06:31 PM
(Assuming that Biff, Anthony and Hardek followed me out)

"I just thought of something. Can you hand me that box with the head in it Anthony? Weren't there cards stuffed in her mouth? Maybe that's a clue or something?"

Merik will open the box and gently take the cards out of the mouth of the severed head.

That's got to be something right?

PeglegJim
2013-02-07, 06:40 PM
"So you want me to put all of this stuff with you random strangers until you figure out it's worth? And maybe if you're feeling generous you give me a slight cut..." says Biff skeptically while he trudges behind. "All the while Crusk is still too hurt to fight."