PDA

View Full Version : pf and counterspelling

Exirtadorri
2012-12-18, 03:07 PM
Ive read the magic section and it says you might be able to counter a spell with dispel magic. I read the description of said spell and it says i need a dispel check...what is that? Can anyone breakdown the rules on dispel magic

Diarmuid
2012-12-18, 03:18 PM
I dont know PF very well and the srd is blocked at work, but maybe the 3.5 version will be helpful.

When using DM to counter a spell you roll a caster level check (d20 + your CL) against the DC of 11+CL of spell to be countered. If you meet/beat it, the other spell is countered.

Again, that's 3.5 so there may be marked differences, but maybe this will help.

Andreaz
2012-12-18, 03:18 PM
Ive read the magic section and it says you might be able to counter a spell with dispel magic. I read the description of said spell and it says i need a dispel check...what is that? Can anyone breakdown the rules on dispel magic

Dispel checks are caster level checks with a bonus based on the spell you used (Dispel, Greater Dispel, Disjunction...)
If your CL check beats the CL of the effect you are trying to dispel, that effect is gone. Each spell also tells you which things you can try to dispel, and how many may go away with it.

In counterspelling you avoid the spell from being cast instead of dispelling it, but it's largely the same thing.

Exirtadorri
2012-12-18, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys!

Psyren
2012-12-18, 03:34 PM
I dont know PF very well and the srd is blocked at work, but maybe the 3.5 version will be helpful.

Can you get to paizo? Their version (the PRD (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/)) sometimes works where the PFSRD doesn't, and is also sometimes more accurate because it's straight from the source.

Diarmuid
2012-12-18, 03:52 PM
Can you get to paizo? Their version (the PRD (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/)) sometimes works where the PFSRD doesn't, and is also sometimes more accurate because it's straight from the source.

Well lookit that, I certainly can. Psyren you have made me even less productive than I already am.