PDA

View Full Version : Dimensional Anchor vs. Dismissal

AlanBruce
2012-12-18, 03:27 PM
Greetings! Simple question: would an outsider under the effects of dimensional anchor be subject to the dismissal spell? The first spell says it prevents all forms of teleportation, but I would like to make sure, since it did state specific spells but not dismissal.

Thank you in advance.

Diarmuid
2012-12-18, 03:31 PM
You must make a ranged touch attack to hit the target. Any creature or object struck by the ray is covered with a shimmering emerald field that completely blocks extradimensional travel.

While it does go on to give some examples of what would be blocked, it doesnt say that it is limited to those specific examples only.

I would say that
forces an extraplanar creature back to its proper plane

would be considered "extradimensional travel" and would be blocked.

AlanBruce
2012-12-18, 04:06 PM
Thank you. I wish the spell had been a tad more specific.

Diarmuid
2012-12-18, 04:10 PM
Being more specific unfortunately paints them into a corner for when they release new content.

They couldnt specifically name every instance it works against without having to issue new errata for every new book that introduces a new spell involving dimensional travel.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-18, 04:16 PM
D&D's philosophy seems to generally be nested exceptions. You can't dimensional hop, unless affected by an ability that says you can, unless stopped by Dimensional Anchor. If some spell that does Dimensional travel when affected by dimensional anchor, it would say so specifically.