PDA

View Full Version : An exchange of prisoners [PF tactics help]

Kulture
2012-12-18, 05:38 PM
In my weekly group we've a major issue underway.

The party sniper (Alchemist 4/ Bard 1/ Assassin 3) has had his soul imprisoned by a pirate captain turned demi-god over an incident where he bombed a ship she was escaping on.
She returned on a ship full of wights then when she demanded his soul in exchange for the rest of the party living (she planted ghostly, completely untouchable bombs on the party's ship and trapped them on the ship) he offered a duel.
Just as the duel was about to begin we were given a blurb of the door closing and there being screams (still up in the air whether that was a case of "Rocks fall, character who drew the jester card from a mandatory deck of any things dies" scenario).

Anyway, she wants her brother, who is trapped in a salt-mine-turned-prison. Considering the frequency with which we end up with wish items, this wouldn't be a problem, but the facility is far away and protected by an anti-magic effect. We remain unsure as to whether it's just a field with permanency or something innate. In any case wishes do not work on it.

The party consists of level 7 characters: An aasimar ranger (two handed type), an aasimar cavalier who rides a gryphon, a human wizard, an elf paladin, a human barbarian/living monolith, a rogue/assassin sniper, a cat folk druid, a dwarf fighter/stone lord paladin, the original sniper's new diplomancer bard with a charisma of 37, charm person at will and an undead template, and finally the DMPC/NPC sorcerer of unknown level who a good chunk of the party is convinced is actually the BBEG or his lietenant, but he's too powerful to call out on it.

Current plans that have failed are "Wish for a foolproof strategy.", "Wish the location was swarmed with disenchanters and rust monsters", "Wish for a large object to bombard the location", "Wish the anti-magic away.", "Wish the pirate captain had to physically commune with Azathoth." and "Wish the party member was free".

The gods are meddling in this situation because it's essentially a war amongst them. The sniper's god isn't involved because it's Nyarlathotep and none of the outer gods are involved (yet).

We've also been held up in a matriarchal governed society to kill some more demons puppeteering the guilds.

Generally I'm just looking for ideas on how to fix this whole scenario.

Current plans yet to be tried are "Talk to the pirate godling and diplomance her into releasing the PC.", "Wish the PC had the fate card from the deck of many things."

I know it's not the standard to try and plan around a campaign where there was a deck of many things with a mandatory draw per person, wish effects bouncing around before 10th level, cut-scene player deaths and a general player motto of "Cryptic Bullsh!t" but I'm at my wits' end.

To clarify, the entire scenario was kicked off by a guest DM, so we can expect even more problems due to that.

If you can help me out with some advice I'd be eternally grateful.

Deepbluediver
2012-12-20, 10:10 AM
....What. The. Frell???

Honestly, at this point I'd say "Screw it, when the gods start meddling on this scale I get the hell out of dodge; you can keep his soul."

Have the sniper's player bite the bullet and role a new character. If I where playing a paladin (or something) who absolutely could NOT abandon his companion, I'd suicide charge the godling, die gloriously in battle, then come back as something less honor bound.