PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Pathfinder Summoner Synthesist

chessteach
2012-12-18, 11:57 PM
I am building a Sythesist character with many limbs and I am not really sure what the rules are regarding four or more arms.

If I have 4 limbs and each has a light weapon in it, can I attack with each of them? If so, what are the modifiers?

I am going to take a level of monk for skills, feats, and the AC boost. I am curious how flurry of blows will work out with my build? Does a level 1 Monk get more then 2 attacks using flurry of blows if he has 4 arms?

Here is my plan so far. I am using a 32 point build and min maxing the **** out of it.
Half Elf (1/4 evolution favored class rocks!)
Str, Dex, Con 7 (All dump stats since I use my Eidolons physical scores)
Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 20

I am still undecided on weapons. I am considering using a temple sword, nunchaku, or spending a trait for a martial proficiency. The cutlas and lucerne hammer both sound good. Can I attack with two two-handed weapons in the same round if I have enough arms?

I plan on getting as many limbs as I have attacks, and casting enlarge person on myself often until I get the large evolution. I am also considering a tail with a poison stinger.

What feats do I need to give me lots of attacks while still keeping those attacks as close to my BaB as possible? If I can use flurry of blows somehow, that would be great as my attack would be one point higher.

Since my half-elf has lowlight, and my eidolon has darkvision: does that mean I have both when melded?

Any thoughts, criticisms, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:

Some quick links for those unfamiliar with what I am talking about
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo---summoner-archetypes/synthesist
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/eidolons

grarrrg
2012-12-19, 01:03 AM
If I have 4 limbs and each has a light weapon in it, can I attack with each of them? If so, what are the modifiers?

Multiweapon fighting is virtually the same as Two-weapon fighting. The key difference is that regardless of how many arms you have, only ONE can be considered your "main" hand, all the rest are Off-Hand. Another difference, is that there is NO "improved" Multiweapon, each Off-Hand only gets ONE attack.
In fact, creatures with 3+ arms can't really take Two-Weapon fighting, it is automatically replaced with Multiweapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/multiweapon-fighting-combat) Fighting.
Anywho...as long as most/all of your weapons are Light, and you have the Multiweapon feat, then you'll only take a -2 to-hit on all weapon attacks. Multiweapon Penalties do not apply to Natural attacks.

I am going to take a level of monk for skills, feats, and the AC boost. I am curious how flurry of blows will work out with my build? Does a level 1 Monk get more then 2 attacks using flurry of blows if he has 4 arms?

As written, Flurry will most likely not help you.
Regardless of number of Limbs, you still only get one "unarmed attack".
Flurry also doesn't help Natural Attacks.
You can try working something out with your DM, but overall Flurry will be worthless to you, try to trade it for a Monk Archetype.

Str, Dex, Con 7 (All dump stats since I use my Eidolons physical scores)

STR and DEX...iffy, but fine.
But do NOT dump your CON that much. Firstly, your Eidolon-suit is NOT around when you are sleeping, the DM could always ambush you in the middle of the night or something.
Secondly, your Eidolon-suit can still be Dispelled/Banished/damaged/etc... potentially leaving you as a super-weak target. Possibly making you insta-dead the moment the Eidolon-suit goes away.

Can I attack with two two-handed weapons in the same round if I have enough arms?

Yes, but as above, normal Two/Multi-weapon penalties apply. So if you have 4 arms you can attack with 2 Two-Handed weapons, but each will take a -4 penalty to To-Hit, as neither is a "light" weapon. If you can handle the drop in accuracy, then the gain in damage may still be worth it.

casting enlarge person on myself often until I get the large evolution

Why stop there? Keep casting after you get Large and go Huge!

What feats do I need to give me lots of attacks while still keeping those attacks as close to my BaB as possible? If I can use flurry of blows somehow, that would be great as my attack would be one point higher.

Only one feat, Multiweapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/multiweapon-fighting-combat) Fighting.
Lowest penalty is -2 if you use all Light Weapons.
While you can use 1 non-light weapon, you may as well keep all weapons the same type to make better use of various "choose a weapon" type feats.

Since my half-elf has lowlight, and my eidolon has darkvision: does that mean I have both when melded?

This is one of those gray areas of the Synthesist, as there is VERY LITTLE in the way of official word on what stays, what goes, and what changes.

Ask your DM.

Personally, I usually go with "is it a physical ability? or a mental ability?"
Physicals get replaced by whatever the Eidolon has, and Mentals stick around.
In this case Vision is most likely a Physical, so it would be gone when you suit up.

chessteach
2012-12-19, 01:26 PM
STR and DEX...iffy, but fine.
But do NOT dump your CON that much. Firstly, your Eidolon-suit is NOT around when you are sleeping, the DM could always ambush you in the middle of the night or something.
Secondly, your Eidolon-suit can still be Dispelled/Banished/damaged/etc... potentially leaving you as a super-weak target. Possibly making you insta-dead the moment the Eidolon-suit goes away.

Yeah I realize that. I will never go unconcious because once the suit is gone, the con will lower my health way beyond dead. I thought about ambushes, but there are a few reasons why this might not be a big deal. At level 2 I can get a spell called summon eidolon. Allows me to summon him in one round rather then one minute. Also has a nice side effect of letting me summon monsters with my summon monster special ability. I really hate having useless abilities.

As far as the dispelled and banished. I thought about that too. Eidolons are immune to dispell magic, and banishment/dismissal have will saves and spell resistance. Luckily my will saves should be fantastic. I will have 18 wisdom, and I will probably get some items to boost it. The dip into monk will get me an extra 2 will saves, and I get 1/3 will save per level with summoner. That should be really good. The risk, however, would be great. I suppose I should look into getting spell resistance somehow to make it even smaller. I am planning on getting healing spells, so I could lower this problem further by healing when mages are around.

I get multiattack for free. I wonder if using weapons is the best route. I guess that will depend on whether I can convince my DM to allow a homebrew monk that gets a multiweapon fighting version of flurry of blows. There is a nice evolution that gives an extra 1d6 energy damage to all of my natural attacks, buying that for each of my weapons will get pricey

Edit:

Another question. Can I combine natural attacks with weapon attacks? If I have a tail or a bite attack, can I take my weapon attacks and follow up with a natural attack? The tail and bite are normally primary attacks.

Malroth
2012-12-19, 02:32 PM
you can make secondary attacks at an additional -5 after your manufactured weapon attacks

grarrrg
2012-12-19, 05:11 PM
Another question. Can I combine natural attacks with weapon attacks? If I have a tail or a bite attack, can I take my weapon attacks and follow up with a natural attack? The tail and bite are normally primary attacks.

you can make secondary attacks at an additional -5 after your manufactured weapon attacks

To elaborate:
If you are using a Weapon, then ALL Natural Attacks are considered Secondary Attacks, which typically get -5 off of Highest Bab To-Hit.
The Multiattack feat reduces this penalty to -2 off of Highest Bab for all Secondaries.

Since your Primaries will "become" secondaries, you may as well just focus on Secondary attacks, they are usually Cheaper/Better Damage than Primaries.
Example: Claws cost 3 points (2 Claw, 1 Arms), and you get 2 attacks at 1d4 damage. Pincers also cost 3 points, but you get 2 attacks at 1d6 damage.

Also, if you are holding a Weapon in a "claw hand", then you can NOT make a Natural attack with that claw.