PDA

View Full Version : Getting a spell as a SLA

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-19, 12:01 AM
I've got a 5th level sorc/wiz spell with a godawful expensive material component and a noteable xp component that I'd like to spam the crap out of.

I'm sure there's a way to get this as a SLA, but I haven't really worried much about getting spells into SLA form before now. Can somebody help me out?

sidenote: if you guess the spell I'm looking at, you get a cookie (::)

Story
2012-12-19, 12:12 AM
Archmage gives you an SLA, but it doesn't remove the need for XP (and material components cost even more XP).

watchwood
2012-12-19, 12:14 AM
Permenancy. :P

A lot of spells have a good reason for having expensive material or XP costs, when they have them. Not all of them, but a lot of them. With Permanency it's to prevent people from spamming Permanent whatever they please spells.

That said, you could talk to your DM about it and see if he'll let you research a higher level version of it that doesn't have the high costs.

Story
2012-12-19, 12:17 AM
Imarvintpa says the only 5th level Wizard spell with a material and an xp component is Minor Servitor from Savage Species.

demigodus
2012-12-19, 12:20 AM
dweomerkeeper would let you make it Su: only a few times a day though...

Innate Spell from Player's Guide to Faerun, can let you use it as an SLA 3x per day. Though you still need a focus worth 50 x material component cost, AND still need to pay the xp cost...

EDIT:

Imarvintpa says the only 5th level Wizard spell with a material and an xp component is Minor Servitor from Savage Species.

In that case, I definitely recommend Dweomerkeeper. Since that is unlikely to be spammed multiple times per day. Has the added benefit of not being dispellable.

Malimar
2012-12-19, 12:58 AM
Dragon Ally has a cost of 100 XP 50 gp per HD the dragon has. But that's not a material component, that's you have to pay the dragon, and wouldn't be obviated by making it an SLA.

Minor Servitor has an XP cost and a material component, but its material component is cheap.

I'm not seeing any other level 5 wizard spells with an XP cost and a material component.

:smallconfused: No cookie for me, I guess.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-19, 01:42 AM
That's the web-enhanced version of Dweomer Keeper, right?

That'd be perfect, I think, except I can't access the PDF. Definitely a backup if I can't find any other way to get it. I could print off the PDF at the library or something.

Keep 'em coming. Also, no cookie yet. Hint: the material component's cost is variable.

ShurikVch
2012-12-19, 10:21 AM
Faerunian Runecaster.

Runes useble at-will infinite times. :smallbiggrin:

No material or XP will be spent. :smallsmile:

But creation is expensive! :smallamused:

phlidwsn
2012-12-19, 11:30 AM
If you're willing to play with undead, there's always the Spell-Stitched template. The various Dread Necro guides have spell-to-SLA guides for Animate Dead and co.

Agent 451
2012-12-19, 02:52 PM
Extract gift?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-19, 08:11 PM
Extract gift?

We have a winner for the cookie.

Here ya go (::)

Agent 451
2012-12-19, 08:16 PM
I accept said cookie, as long as it is chocolate chip, and not some raisin abomination...

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-19, 09:15 PM
I accept said cookie, as long as it is chocolate chip, and not some raisin abomination...

Magic cookie. It tastes like whatever type of cookie you prefer at the time of consumption.

JaronK
2012-12-20, 04:14 AM
Ah, I use Extract Gift like this myself! The solution is of course Spell Stitching an undead creature (perhaps yourself, with Necropolitan) that has 19 Wisdom. Bingo, tons of spell like abilities. May I also suggest Animate Dread Warrior and Animate Dead, while we're at it? Every humanoid with class levels you kill becomes your servant, buffed with your power.

While you're at it, use the ritual from Savage Species (if allowed) to give yourself the subtype that makes you a demon. Now use Extract Gift on yourself (perhaps after polymorphing yourself so that you have a huge strength score) to give your strength to your allies, and now you can see through their eyes whenever you need. Neat.

There's also a dwarf PrC from Races of Stone, Runesmith, that can do this easily.

JaronK

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-20, 05:52 AM
Runesmith doesn't work. It costs 20X the listed cost in materials to make that rune. At that point we might just as well have simply bought the magic items of the same price.

I'd like to avoid the spell-stitched method, though it's certainly another good backup option.

Any other methods?

Thanks for the help, folks.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-28, 11:25 AM
Post-holiday bump.

Surely there are at least one or two more ways to get an upper mid-level spell as a SLA. (?)

Jack_Simth
2012-12-28, 12:44 PM
Post-holiday bump.

Surely there are at least one or two more ways to get an upper mid-level spell as a SLA. (?)
Probably. However, there's also ways to get them as Su abilities, which are usually considered just as good. If Savage Species is in play, it's got Supernatural Transformation, which turns a Spell-like ability into a Supernatural ability. Useless for your purposes of itself, but when combined with the Archmage's Spell-like ability, or one of the versions of Innate Spell, theoretically gets rid of the components.

You can also find a critter with Wish as an SLA, get a piece of it, then make a Simulacrum (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/simulacrum.htm) of it. Or just buy a suitable scroll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm#activatetheSpell) of Simulacrum - theoretically, they come pre-loaded with all the components, which would include the piece of the creature to duplicate. There are quite (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm#angelSolar) a (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/genie.htm#efreeti) few (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/genie.htm#nobleDjinn) choices (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#glabrezu) available (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#pitFiend), although some are better than others, and it is highly recommended you get a scroll of simulacrum that includes a piece of one of the critters that's been advanced to double normal hit dice - because that will result in a simulacrum that has the standard number of hit dice, bypass the "appropriate abilities" clause. Note that a scroll of Ice Assasin (Frostburn) bypasses this issue. You then have the critter duplicate whatever spell you were after.

Shapechange is also handy - find a critter that has Wish as a Supernatural ability (Zodar, Fiend Folio), change into it, and use it's Wish to set up the above.

This is all very cheesy, however.

ShurikVch
2013-01-03, 04:21 AM
Dragon Prophet from Magic of Eberron can do it. Kinda...

Constellation Power: At 1st level and every odd-numbered level thereafter, you attune yourself to the draconic constellations for which the months are named, gaining new abilities based on the deities they represent. Some deities are evil and some good, but the abilities themselves are merely tools used in your pursuit of the Prophecy. When you gain a new constellation power, you also gain a marking on your body in the shape of that constellation.

The silvery constellation marks appear in whatever location you wish when you gain the ability. Most dragon prophets prefer hidden marks to open marks, although some have a favorite constellation displayed in a prominent place on the head, neck, hands, or even face. Each marking is similar in appearance to a dragonmark, and might be mistaken for one by someone unfamiliar with dragonmarks.

Each ability description gives a minimum class level that you must attain in order to select it. In addition, some abilities require you to be in a state of prophetic favor (see the Dragon Prophesier feat, page 46).

These abilities are extraordinary unless otherwise specified.

Tiamat: This is the dragon deity of greed and power. If you attune to this constellation, you can attempt to steal a spell as it is being cast by another spellcaster. You must be in prophetic favor and must ready an action to use this ability, though you need not designate a spellcaster target until the ability is activated. The spellcaster must be within 60 feet of you, and you must have line of effect to the caster. You steal the spell with a successful caster level check (DC 10 + the target's caster level). If you are successful, the spell is cast to no effect by the targeted caster, with any material components consumed and any costs to the caster paid as normal. Using this ability immediately ends your prophetic favor.

You immediately know which spell you have stolen, and at any time in the next hour, you can activate the stolen spell as a spell-like ability. You use the original caster's caster level, but for all other purposes, you treat the spell as if you had cast it. If you steal a second spell before casting the first, the first spell is lost.

Stealing a spell in this manner is a supernatural ability. Minimum class level 9th.

Spuddles
2013-01-03, 04:31 AM
Phaerimm, from Lost Empires of Faerun explicitly have their innate sorcerer casting stack with sorcerer levels, and they cast all their sorcerer spells as SLAs with no components.