PDA

View Full Version : A cheap way to dry things ?

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-19, 12:53 AM
Let me explain what exactly i'm looking for...
I need to be able to keep dry or remove any excess moist/liquid from surfaces,
persons and or materials (clothing or gear etc etc).
You will ask me why.. several reasons... let me say some of these...
1) Group is venturing on a icy/snowing terrain and 1 of em fells into a lake..
or rain starts to fall... according to frostburn book (the campaign will be on it),
that causes hypothermia.. so... i have to deal with this..
2) Same terrain, group need to pass a body of water, so either they have to
be waterproof for the duration or have a way to dry themselves(& gear) after they r done
3) Leomund’s Tiny Hut (it reads:...)
You create an unmoving, opaque sphere of force of any color you desire around
yourself. Half the sphere projects above the ground, and the lower hemisphere
passes through the ground. As many as nine other Medium creatures can fit into
the field with you; they can freely pass into and out of the hut without harming it.
However, if you remove yourself from the hut, the spell ends.
The temperature inside the hut is 70° F if the exterior temperature is between 0°
and 100° F. An exterior temperature below 0° or above 100° lowers or raises the
interior temperature on a 1-degree-for-1
basis (thus, if it’s –20° outside, inside the hut it’s 50°). The hut also provides protection
against the elements, such as rain, dust, and sandstorms. The hut withstands
any wind of less than hurricane force, but a
hurricane (75+ mph wind speed) or greater force destroys it.
So.. if i cast this on a heavy snow covered surface, the snow trapped in the
lower hemisphere will melt (70° F) and will kinda flood with frozen water...
anyway those are the reasons.. you get my point...
what i'm looking for...
a fairly cheap spell to put in a wand
or
an alchemical item that does that
or
a magic item that does that...

it has to be pretty pretty cheap (bellow 300g for wand or M.Item)
and has to provide like up to 3 uses per day (a wand of 50 charges for example)
or a eternal wand will be sufficient..
if it is a consumable, has to be cheap enough so i can get like 30 uses
for 300G or less...

if you know what im looking for , and is NOT a homebrewed item, provide me
the name , book and pg plz...

PS: i could accept a more expensive item if it's worth it...

thnx

Jarian
2012-12-19, 12:54 AM
Just use mini-wish. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010707)

Chilingsworth
2012-12-19, 02:38 AM

Yup, beat me to it!

rot42
2012-12-19, 03:48 AM
Creating things in D&D tends to be a lot easier than destroying mass, which bodes poorly for the long term gravitational stability of the settings. Dispel Water (Sandstorm 114) will solve your water problem if this application is ruled outside the scope of Prestidigitation. It is a 4th/5th level spell, though, so unlikely to help. Coming at the problem from the other side, you might be helped by Leomund's Tiny Igloo (Frostburn 101). It is quite a bit smaller than the Tiny Hut, but a spell level lower and is explicitly designed to function in a frostfell environment (presumably the floor of the hut is insulated).

ahenobarbi
2012-12-19, 04:08 AM
Planar bind / ally a magma mephit, have it transform into lava pit and use as a heat source for drying :smallbiggrin:

Why not Rope Trick (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ropeTrick.htm)?

Icewraith
2012-12-19, 04:10 AM
Wood + fire.

Doesn't get cheaper than that.

ahenobarbi
2012-12-19, 04:16 AM
Wood + fire.

Doesn't get cheaper than that.

It does! Burn staffs. Unlike firewood staffs are free :smallwink:

Studoku
2012-12-19, 05:12 AM
1) Group is venturing on a icy/snowing terrain and 1 of em fells into a lake..
or rain starts to fall... according to frostburn book (the campaign will be on it),
that causes hypothermia.. so... i have to deal with this..
2) Same terrain, group need to pass a body of water, so either they have to
be waterproof for the duration or have a way to dry themselves(& gear) after they r done
Dust of Dryness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#dustofDryness) is pretty useful for 3. Maybe 2, depending on the size of the body of water.

For 1, I recommend a towel.

hymer
2012-12-19, 06:18 AM
Endure Elements works small wonders for 24 hours, and it's found on all PHB spell lists save bard. As long as we're not talking Unearthly Cold, EE's got your back.

AttilaTheGeek
2012-12-19, 07:00 AM

Yep. *points to sig*

Psyren
2012-12-19, 12:55 PM

What I find really amusing about that article is that it made Vaarsuvius' loss in the Iron Mage competition (OtOoPCs) even more painful. He was inventing a spell that already existed!

Daer
2012-12-19, 01:03 PM
1 level of dragonfire adept and scalding gust invocation ( gust of wind + 1 damage per caster level. fire damage ) that should do and you can keep throwing it all day long. if thats not enough breathing flames should do it :)

Ravens_cry
2012-12-19, 01:55 PM
While I don't call prestidigitation 'mini-wish', as you need to have a DM wrapped around your little finger to pull of some of the guano de toro the Playground suggests, I consider drying wet objects well within its limits.

Psyren
2012-12-19, 02:07 PM
While I don't call prestidigitation 'mini-wish', as you need to have a DM wrapped around your little finger to pull of some of the guano de toro the Playground suggests, I consider drying wet objects well within its limits.

I'm a big fan of, if not outright allowing, at least heavily favoring any use for a toolbox spell that WotC puts in an article. So anything in that link would be fair game for me. Ditto the uses for Limited Wish that they had in another article.

Agent 451
2012-12-19, 02:26 PM
There's also oilskin suits in Stormwrack, which is basically a waterproof trench coat with boots and hat. Won't help with falling through ice, but it will keep the rain off you, and at 10gp it's a steal. If you're worried about falling into lakes, I'd also suggest getting float bladders (also Stormwrack). 10gp, keeps a medium creature afloat, which can mean all the difference in an icy rescue situation.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-19, 02:34 PM
I'm a big fan of, if not outright allowing, at least heavily favoring any use for a toolbox spell that WotC puts in an article. So anything in that link would be fair game for me. Ditto the uses for Limited Wish that they had in another article.
Never saw the latter; dost thou have linkage?

Psyren
2012-12-19, 03:18 PM
Never saw the latter; dost thou have linkage?

It's actually not one article, sorry - rather, it's tidbits and suggestions scattered across several. The two I remember are this one (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20050520a[/url) that lets you use limited wish as an arcane Psychic Reformation, and this one (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20060526a) that lets you convert a magic item from one alignment to another, including changing any of the spell effects it uses to their opposite equivalent.

Wilhelm
2012-12-19, 03:24 PM
Prestidigitation solves many more problems than this one, but it solves this one quite well even without worrying about articles. The spell itself states that you can clean items. I believe that involves drying them. Otherwise cleaning the blood off your clothes would still leave them wet. You may also apparently warm up to 1 lb. per casting of non-living material. This change lasts an entire hour.
I at least think that means you could warm some of your clothes (like your socks and gloves) to protect the from the elements. Not even getting wet would chill them (although it would still chill you).

Prestidigitation is just the best spell next to Create Water.