PDA

View Full Version : Best way to play D&D over the Internet

scarmiglionne4
2012-12-19, 04:04 AM
Just like the title says: Other than play by forum, what is the best way to play D&D over the internet if you cannot get a group going at home?

Mystic Muse
2012-12-19, 04:06 AM
I like Skype personally.

Actana
2012-12-19, 04:09 AM
There are a number of Virtual Gametables (VGTs) out there. I'd say the two most prominent, or at least the two I come in contact with the most, are MapTool (http://www.rptools.net/) and Roll20 (http://roll20.net/). Both are free too, so there's no problem there.

In a nutshell, they're both programs with chat, rolling and map functions, as well as a number of other things to ease gameplay. MapTool is my preferred table, but I will admit to it being quite frustrating at times. I haven't really tried Roll20 yet, but I've heard some decent things about it.

As I said, both are free, so there's no real downside to trying them out. There are also a number of commercial software, but I can't really say anything about them.

Crake
2012-12-19, 09:34 AM
Maptool is a great one, as Actana said, combined with either mumble or skype. But honestly, unless there's absolutely no other option, I highly recommend you play in person, as something is definitely lost from the DnD feeling when you play online.

Vaz
2012-12-19, 09:39 AM
DnD online?

*runs*

Eldan
2012-12-19, 09:45 AM
Depends on what you need. I don't like battle maps when I'm running games, so I use skype chat and an external dice roller (www.catchyourhare.com/diceroller is the one I use. (www.catchyourhare.com/diceroller)).

Badgerish
2012-12-19, 09:53 AM
I'm having great success with Skype and Maptools.

Raum
2012-12-19, 10:30 AM
Just like the title says: Other than play by forum, what is the best way to play D&D over the internet if you cannot get a group going at home?As Actana says, the virtual table tops work well. I prefer the combination of Fantasy Grounds (FG) and Teamspeak*. FG isn't free but it does have a lot of people actively supporting it and several system specific rule sets.

*We had issues with Skype while Teamspeak has worked very well.

scarmiglionne4
2013-01-01, 10:31 PM
Maptool is a great one, as Actana said, combined with either mumble or skype. But honestly, unless there's absolutely no other option, I highly recommend you play in person, as something is definitely lost from the DnD feeling when you play online.

I am inclined to agree. This is truly a last resort. I have lost many players to WoW, girlfriends, and even drug and alcohol abuse. I would say I need new friends but I kind of live in a cultural and intellectual wasteland.

PeglegJim
2013-01-01, 10:34 PM
Ya, I'd say go skype and a program like maptools or roll20 or whatever.

Problem is you need a reliable group of people.

Anxe
2013-01-01, 10:43 PM
I've also used Google hangouts with a board that I point my camera at. Google hangouts has an advantage over skype because you can have video conference calls.

The Random NPC
2013-01-02, 08:07 AM
I've also used Google hangouts with a board that I point my camera at. Google hangouts has an advantage over skype because you can have video conference calls.

Good news! Roll20.net is compatible with Google Hangouts! And by compatible, I mean that they have a button that launches the program in Google Hangouts.

rihana
2013-01-02, 08:10 AM
My friend jack sent me a link with the best soundtracks of games. I agree with some: Zelda, Ocarina of Time (My favorite game), Diablo II ( I played a lot on guitar), Castlevania 2 etc. playing different games is my hobby as i can my day charming and my mind sharpest by this activity. You can also try and see how is it interesting.

Ghost49X
2013-01-02, 08:53 AM

Skype can also do video conferences...

Anxe
2013-01-02, 01:32 PM
Skype can also do video conferences...

Not for free last time I checked.

And I forgot that Roll20 works through Hangouts as well. I've just been using Roll20 in browser since my group switched over to that.

Alejandro
2013-01-02, 02:17 PM
One of our group members moved across the country. But, before he did so, he gave us a sweet tablet/PC crossbreed, and we set it up with Skype. He even has a 'place' at the table, where we can see him on the screen, and he can see and hear us likewise. We trust him as far as dice go, so he just rolls on his end and tells us what he got. Went well.

Jay R
2013-01-02, 04:48 PM
I'm sorry if this doesn't help, but the best way to use the Internet to play D&D is to email your friends to come over to your house and play a game.

Adam...?
2013-01-02, 05:04 PM
It's already been mentioned, but I have to throw my support in for Roll20. I started DMing for some people online, and it was quick to learn, quick to set up, and does pretty much anything you could want. Playing online is a very different feel from playing in person, and it's taken awhile to get used to the differences, but it works well enough.

Sidmen
2013-01-02, 05:27 PM
I wanted to share with you all that, through this thread I tried out Roll20.net for the first time a few weeks ago. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I'm GMing a game of Star Wars Saga Edition over there now, and its interface is exceptionally intuitive (so far, for me anyway) and useful. It gives a gaming space (a grid where you can drag-n-drop images onto) and voice chat, so it's essentially just like playing IRL except that you're sitting in your living room in nothing but your underpants.

There is also an option for video streaming, but I never tried that for underpants related reasons.

Shpadoinkle
2013-01-04, 05:44 PM
Yeah... you practically need webcams and microphones so you don't have to type stuff out, and if your hands aren't actually on a keyboard and mouse it's harder to get distracted looking at other stuff (and also so when you give someone the finger they can actually see you doing it.)

allanroger
2014-01-28, 11:52 PM
I like GoMeetNow (http://www.gomeetnow.com)personally. Try using it.

WrathMage
2014-01-29, 09:20 AM
I would throw my vote behind Roll20, I have used it in a regular game for about 6 months since I moved away from my group (bit of a pain, I'm the DM for them!). It takes a little getting used to, but once you do its pretty useful I found. Plus it can be used for free which is always a good thing (I eventually piad for a subscription so that I could use the dynamic lighting etc).

Delta
2014-01-29, 09:48 AM
I only tried it once for a solo but I really like what the people at roll20 are doing, if you want to do an online group I'd definitely give it a try.

AuraTwilight
2014-01-29, 05:50 PM
Been using Roll20 since September 2012. It's fantastic.