PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Attack question

Vindicus
2012-12-19, 06:07 PM
I have a question about the Nightblade of Arvandor from the BoED page 115.

Nightblade of Arvandor: This +2 longsword appears to be made of black steel. Within the blade, one can see miniscule twinkling stars. Upon command, the sword launches starlike pulses of light. Each round, as a standard action, the nightblade can fire as many stars from its blade as the wielder has ranged attacks. Using the sword in this fashion provokes attacks ofopportunity, and each star requires its own ranged touch attack roll. A nonevil creature struck by a star takes 1d8 points of damage, half of which is nonlethal damage (rounded down). An evil creature struck by a star takes 1d8 points of lethal damage. The stars are magical force, not weapons, so they ignore damage reduction and incorporeality.Moderate evocation [good]; CL 6th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, stars of Arvandor, creator must be good; Price 44,315 gp;Cost to Create 22,315 gp + 1,760 XP.

I was curious if my rogue can use this to make multiple sneak attack as a standard action (as long as he qualifies). Normally volley type attacks only get one instance of sneak attack but the way it is worded with the # of ranged attacks you would normally have makes me think that these might operate more like a sequential series of attacks. Since my rapid shot feat allows me more attacks, and I can sneak attack with those attacks from rapid shot, would the same thinking hold for this sword?

Curmudgeon
2012-12-19, 06:41 PM
The new rule in Rules Compendium to cover this (page 42) says precision damage applies only to the first attack of multiples unless you're making those attacks as a full-round action. Because Nightblade of Arvandor's attacks are all the same standard action, only the first one will get sneak attack damage added.

Vindicus
2012-12-19, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the help!