PDA

View Full Version : minotaur half dragon

kaaskeizer
2012-12-19, 10:43 PM
hellos every1, im building an minotaur half dragon for a friends campaign.. were starting off at ECL 10 and i wanted something...... different =P
so i started building it and this is what i have so far;

ability scores Total:

str: 31
dex: 10
con: 17
int: 12
wis: 10
cha: 8

and i took dragonbreath feat to be able to use this ability 1ce every 1d4 rounds. black dragon for acid so now we got a vomiting minotaur... (with wings!! =D)
(its not much... i know o.o)
im looking at this and thinking.... how to munchkinsize this minotaur half black dragon? traits, flaws and every AD&D book is allowed in on this.. no dragon magazines =( any help would be apreciated a lot ^_^

-KaasKeizer

AsheItachi
2012-12-19, 11:01 PM
Eww:smalleek:

JaronK
2012-12-19, 11:08 PM
If you really want to munchkinize it, the Half Minotaur template is actually far superior. It's only +1LA, and it increases your size by one with HUGE stat bonuses to go along with that (because it gives you the stat boosts for going up a size).

A Half Minotaur Half Dragon Water Orc, for example, would be only ECL5 and yet would be absolutely incredible. And you'd still have 5 class levels to play with... consider some Warblade levels or something. Maybe you'll go into War Hulk eventually.

JaronK

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-12-19, 11:10 PM
Depends on the game. In a game where warriors generally do weapon+Str+1d6 random energy and are considered solid damage dealers he'll break the game with strengh and large size. In other games his damage will be meh, he'll have no utility and his low saves and HD will doom him. Also all those monster HD. :smallyuk: I'm against lots of those in any game cause they cost you power in a high op game and even in a low op game they're just boring.

Edit: are you restricted to core?

kaaskeizer
2012-12-19, 11:10 PM
If you really want to munchkinize it, the Half Minotaur template is actually far superior. It's only +1LA, and it increases your size by one with HUGE stat bonuses to go along with that (because it gives you the stat boosts for going up a size).

A Half Minotaur Half Dragon Water Orc, for example, would be only ECL5 and yet would be absolutely incredible. And you'd still have 5 class levels to play with... consider some Warblade levels or something. Maybe you'll go into War Hulk eventually.

JaronK

its a roleplay thing ^_^ but i still want the power :smallamused:

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-12-19, 11:13 PM
From an rp perspective, how different is a half-minotaur half dragon Orc from a half-Dragon Minotaur?

Nm, I think I misread your tone.

Acanous
2012-12-19, 11:16 PM
The DM may restrict him to only one "Half-" template. Most DMs I've known do that.

This being said, the Half-Minotaur Water Orc alone is a very solid option, netting you better cost-to-bonus than full minotaur half-dragon.

toapat
2012-12-19, 11:18 PM
actually, you want half shadow dragon of the PC legal ones. You get a negative level breath, as well as immunity to them.

kaaskeizer
2012-12-19, 11:30 PM
The DM may restrict him to only one "Half-" template. Most DMs I've known do that.

this is the case

actually, you want half shadow dragon of the PC legal ones. You get a negative level breath, as well as immunity to them.

where do i find its template? =3

toapat
2012-12-19, 11:33 PM
where do i find its template? =3

dragons of Faerun

kaaskeizer
2012-12-19, 11:39 PM
dragons of Faerun

Awesome! thnx =D

toapat
2012-12-19, 11:46 PM
actually, i just checked, its monsters of Faerun, either way you still want Shadow

kaaskeizer
2012-12-19, 11:53 PM
actually, i just checked, its monsters of Faerun, either way you still want Shadow

m still lookin for a good build to go with it though...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-12-19, 11:58 PM
Switch it up a bit for more efficiency out of your ECL. For example, use some sort of dragonlike race such as Spellscale, and add a minotaur-like template such as Half-Fiend-Goristro (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a). A Goristro is a huge size fiendish minotaur-like beast, and applying it to a dragonblooded base creature you can spend a feat on Dragon Wings (RotD) and still get to fly. Here's a convenient summary of what Half-Goristro (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234089#4) gives you. Your end result would only have a +4 LA, as opposed to the +5 LA of Minotaur Half-Dragon, and without the racial HD blocking you from taking class levels. Get one or more levels of Dragonfire Adept if you want a breath attack, the 1/day Half-Dragon breath isn't all that great anyway.

Namfuak
2012-12-20, 11:42 AM
If you want a cheesy weapon, grab a Minotaur Greathammer from MMIV (under the Minotaur, Greathorn). Take the one from the player character section, and upgrade the damage dice and weight accordingly.

Medium: Damage 1d12, Critical 19-20/x4
Large: Damage 3d6
Huge: Damage 4d6

herrhauptmann
2012-12-20, 04:21 PM
If you want a cheesy weapon, grab a Minotaur Greathammer from MMIV (under the Minotaur, Greathorn). Take the one from the player character section, and upgrade the damage dice and weight accordingly.

Medium: Damage 1d12, Critical 19-20/x4
Large: Damage 3d6
Huge: Damage 4d6
Make it gold/platinum. (Magic of faerun) Costs about 9000 gold. Same size, but heavier.
Medium wielder: 3d6
Large wielder: 4d6
Huge wielder: 6d6

Also get strong arm bracers (MiC). So the weapon is physically is actually bigger, and heavier too.
Medium wielder: 4d6
Large wielder: 6d6
Huge wielder: 8d6

And if it's a skillful weapon, you're automatically proficient with it (still needs a basic +1 before you can make it skillful). And keep a moderate amount of bab, even with warhulk prc.

toapat
2012-12-20, 04:40 PM
And if it's a skillful weapon, you're automatically proficient with it (still needs a basic +1 before you can make it skillful). And keep a moderate amount of bab, even with warhulk prc.

actually, Aptitude is better, it does the same thing

CIDE
2012-12-20, 05:40 PM
Half-Minotaur Dragonspawn...? Even post-eratta it's more economical than the Minotaur/half-dragon. Could apply both to the water orc too.

Studoku
2012-12-20, 06:54 PM
How are you a half-dragon minotaur at ECL 10? You have 6 RHD and +5LA (ECL 11) before even taking a class level.

Have you considered being a Half-Dragon Ogre instead? It's only ECL 9 so you'll be able to take a class level as well and you get even more strength. I made a theoretical build around this once, using dungeoncrasher fighter to make Kool-aid ogre.

Depending on how optimised you want to be, you may want to take some of the more efficient templates the others have suggested. You'll have more class levels to work with.

docnessuno
2012-12-20, 06:58 PM
If you manage to keep your RHDs and LA to 4 or less (and you really shoudl), i'd strongly suggest Fighter 6 (Dungeoncrasher) grabbing the knockback and shock trooper feats. It's helluva fun.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-20, 08:48 PM
actually, Aptitude is better, it does the same thing

Hmm, I might have gotten the name wrong, but meant the one that gives proficiency, and cleric bab if you don't already have it.

toapat
2012-12-20, 09:02 PM
Hmm, I might have gotten the name wrong, but meant the one that gives proficiency, and cleric bab if you don't already have it.

Aptitude lets you apply any weapon specific feats you have (depending on DM, but they have to allow for weapon proficiencies to count, as they follow the format of WF). Its more typically brought up for Gouda flavored Keen Ribbon Scimitar + Lightning Mace combo (which the wording is vague enough to allow)

herrhauptmann
2012-12-20, 09:13 PM
Aptitude lets you apply any weapon specific feats you have (depending on DM, but they have to allow for weapon proficiencies to count, as they follow the format of WF). Its more typically brought up for Gouda flavored Keen Ribbon Scimitar + Lightning Mace combo (which the wording is vague enough to allow)

Ahh, right. Lightning maces, get another hit when you threaten a crit. Make it a kukri or something with a 3 or 4 number crit range, double with keen, and suddenly use lightning maces feat with a slashing weapon.

I don't think aptitude would grant proficiency for a doubly exotic Heavy Greathammer. Not unless you already had EWP with something else. Take your EWP: Chain, and use it on the hammer. And since most classes/races don't say "have the feat exotic weapon prof," but rather "are proficient with the following weapons"...
Besides, skillful gets cleric bab as well. Not useful on a fighter base, but on something with more hitdice than BAB, like a warhulk...

toapat
2012-12-20, 09:52 PM
Besides, skillful gets cleric bab as well. Not useful on a fighter base, but on something with more hitdice than BAB, like a warhulk...

Rendered Irrelevant by Cloistered Cleric Staple Divine Power

And no, RAW, because Weapon proficiencies are debatably granted as proficiency feats (this is a by DM thing mostly, the evidence for either is rather non-existant), and proficiency feats are weapon specific, they apply to aptitude weapon, regardless.

Also, Scimitars, rapiers, and falchions have the same threat range as kukri, seriously, what the hell is with auto-conclude with kukri?

herrhauptmann
2012-12-20, 10:05 PM
Rendered Irrelevant by Cloistered Cleric Staple Divine Power

And no, RAW, because Weapon proficiencies are debatably granted as proficiency feats (this is a by DM thing mostly, the evidence for either is rather non-existant), and proficiency feats are weapon specific, they apply to aptitude weapon, regardless.

Also, Scimitars, rapiers, and falchions have the same threat range as kukri, seriously, what the hell is with auto-conclude with kukri?

1)We're talking about a minotaur half dragon of some sort, not a cleric.
2)It's a DM thing.
3)Kukri was the first I thought of, it gets the point across. The rest doesn't matter.