PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Ranged Damage

Sayt
2012-12-20, 05:18 AM
So, this is really weird. I was looking for a specific citation in Pathfinder that says that Crossbows don't get the users dexterity bonus to damage. In searching (And failing to locate) for this citation. I've also noticed that I can't find any rule stating you get dexterity to damage with bows. Now, just about everyone, I'd think, knows you get dex to damage on bows, and bestiary statblocks back this up, but where in the Pathfinder Core rulebook, or on the SRD does this rule exist?

Kudaku
2012-12-20, 05:24 AM
I think you may be working on a faulty theory here - ranged attacks in Pathfinder (and in 3.5 in general) rely on Strength to do extra damage - hence the use of Composite bows.

Corlindale
2012-12-20, 06:13 AM
There's no such rule. Dex does not affect damage with either bows or crossbows unless you have some nifty class feature that allows it to work that way.

Strength affects damage on bows with some qualifications. Negative strength penalizes bow damage on any bow, while positive strength boosts damage provided you have the proper composite bow.

Neither strength nor dex affects damage of crossbows, though (which is one reason why they tend to be the early weapon of choice for weakling casters).

Sayt
2012-12-20, 06:45 AM
Huh, whelp, turns out I've been playing with a fairly large misconception for at least a year now, as has our parties archer rogue.

Thanks all for your responses.

TopCheese
2012-12-20, 07:20 AM
Huh, whelp, turns out I've been playing with a fairly large misconception for at least a year now, as has our parties archer rogue.

Thanks all for your responses.

Actually you should look at a few archtypes in Pathfinder.

Go Urban Rager Barbarian (rage can apply mostly to Str and Dex as you see fit) also
I think there is an archer variant in there too...

There is a Fighter that gains Dex to damage on crossbows but I'm not sure how many levels it takes to get it.

I could see a good Barbarian/Fighter/Rogue depending on what levels you gain these abilities.