PDA

View Full Version : Request identification of old simulation game

jseah
2012-12-20, 11:20 AM
I have been trying to find/recall a specific game I remember I played when I was young (so that means 1990s). I don't recall the title otherwise I wouldn't be here, but I would like to ask if anyone else can identify it.

It's an ecological simulation game (maybe?), where you the player have to manage a section of land and complete various objectives. There are plants and animals (I remember the name of one of them "mule" which IIRC was a basic worker thingy) which do their own thing. The main thing I recall doing was getting my mules to chop trees down to harvest biomass so I could clone animals from my main base. I was too young to understand most of the game then.

One of the more key aspects of what I remember is that when you clone an animal, it goes shooting out the top of your main base structure like a popcorn and lands unharmed on the ground nearby. >.>

A major part of the game is an occasional visit from aliens (who appear over your areas in this UFO thing) to assess how well are you completing the objectives. If you don't meet it in time, you lose the level. In some levels, there is a competition between you and an AI player, during which time, you are actually allowed/encouraged to sabotage them (chop their trees down, kill their animals, etc.)

From what I recall of the backstory, some aliens with super-tech have gotten sick of the galaxy's inhabitants and have kidnapped everyone and put them to the task of growing a nice garden (or ecosystem?). The one who can manage their task best will get to retain their intelligence, while every other race will be reduced to animals by their super-tech. Something like that at any rate.

I think the colour palette was dark and muted, but you probably shouldn't trust me on that.

So, can anyone identify it? Please?
EDIT: this game was on the PC, I do not remember if it was a DOS game or a Windows game, although given the capabilities and what I recall of the graphics, it is likely to be Windows era.

Aragehaor
2012-12-20, 02:08 PM
I believe the game your searching for is called Genewars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genewars).

If that wikipedia entry is leaving you uncertain i also discovered a youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5UZh4fQR5I) of the gameplay for you to watch.

jseah
2012-12-20, 10:43 PM
Thanks, that was the game I was looking for!