PDA

View Full Version : I don't think this thing is CR 2...

Squark
2012-12-20, 01:58 PM
So, I'm currently running a Savage Tide campaign. And we're currently in the second encounter. Anyway... I've got a party of 5 second level characters;

-Silverbrow Human Savage Bard
-Gnome Artificer
-Aquatic Human Cleric
-Psiforged Shaper (Not going to be in combat this coming round, as he needs 3 aid another checks to actually climb the side of the boat)
-An Elf Swordsage who dropped out, but his character is still arround at preset.

Anyway, we got through the first encounter reasonably well, considering the Cleric and the Warforged were on the docks at the time, although the Bard did end up in the negatives (he's back on his feet now, though)- But now there's something loose in the hold. And... It put the (admittedly glass cannon) swordsage to -1 in one hit. And the warforged isn't going to even get to the deck until the next round. I'm kind of worried I may have a TPK going here...

Any advice on how to handle it? Link to IC thread for context (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14408440#post14408440)

Studoku
2012-12-20, 02:21 PM
Is this what you're referring to?
http://www.pandius.com/rhagdess.html

If so, it's fine for a CR2 and I wouldn't worry. The grappling is scary but it only has one damaging attack per round, which isn't particularly powerful. It one-shotted a player because it rolled high and the player has a zero or negative constitution modifer.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-12-20, 02:23 PM
Well, retreat is always an option. The PCs have a now disposable swordsage that could cover the escape. They could barricade the hold or just fall back to the row boats where they'll have the support of the slow PCs. If the creature doesn't follow both sides resting should be in the PCs favor.

Squark
2012-12-20, 03:20 PM
Is this what you're referring to?
http://www.pandius.com/rhagdess.html

If so, it's fine for a CR2 and I wouldn't worry. The grappling is scary but it only has one damaging attack per round, which isn't particularly powerful. It one-shotted a player because it rolled high and the player has a zero or negative constitution modifer.

Paizo's version is a bit scarier- It has multi-attack as a bonus feat, and this one has been advanced to 6 hd, so it has a +8 with the sucker attacks, and a +6 bonus to hit with the bite attack. And the bite attack gets a two handed weapon damage bonus... You know what, I'm just going to copy and paste the stat block I'm using, since I already advanced the thing anyway to be more challenging for a second level party (in hindsight, not the wisest move). Doesn't help that the Swordsage was hurting badly from an inability to take weapon finesse and is trip focused, so he's hurting from a low attack bonus and the thing's stability from being multi-legged.

Rhagodessa CR 2
Always N Medium vermin
Init +1; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Listen +2, Spot +2
AC 14, touch 11, flat-footed 13 (+1 Dex,+3 natural)
hp 31 (23 current) (6 HD)
Immune vermin traits
Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +5
Spd 40 ft., climb 40 ft.
Melee 2 pedipalps +8 (0 damage) and bite +6 (1d8+6)
Base Atk +4; Grp +12
Atk Options Spring Attack, improved grab (pedipalp), powerful bite
Abilities Str 19, Dex 12, Con 13, Int —, Wis 14, Cha 6
Feats MultiattackB, Spring AttackB
Improved Grab (Ex) To use this ability, a rhagodessa must hit with a pedipalp attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it can make a bite attack as a free action, gaining a +4 bonus on its attack roll with this attack. The tiny hooks and tenacious suckers the rhagodessa uses to clutch its prey tear flesh if a grappled creature escapes with an opposed grapple check, causing 1d4 points of damage to the escaping creature. A creature that escapes being grappled by making an Escape artist check does not suffer this damage.
Powerful Bite (Ex) A rhagodessa’s bite is always a secondary attack, yet the powerful muscles in its jaws allow it to apply 1.5 times its Strength modifier to damage rolls with its bite.
Bonus Feat Rhagodessas gain Multiattack and Spring Attack as bonus feats.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-12-20, 07:56 PM
Yyyyyyyeah, when you advanced its Hit Dice, it no longer became a CR 2 creature. That is probably a CR 3 creature somewhere on the border of 3 and 4. Of course, this might still be okay as encounter balance goes, because your party has five sets of actions, and this thing has one.

docnessuno
2012-12-20, 08:20 PM
The HD advancement warrants a +1 CR increase alone, but you could consider awarding another +1 CR if the conditions of the encounter (terrain, surprise, etc) gave a significant advantage to the creature.

Squark
2012-12-20, 08:32 PM
Hrrmm... Would you recommend surreptitiously unadvancing it (I don't think it would have made a difference yet, but losing 9 hit points would give the party less to deal with)? Or do I just accept that we're probably going to lose an npc to this thing?

docnessuno
2012-12-20, 09:31 PM
A CR 3/4 encounter for a lvl 2 party is quite doable. I'd just continue the encounter and award the increased rewards unless there is a serious TPK risk. The death of a former PC now NPC is not a big deal in my book.

PersonMan
2012-12-21, 12:30 AM
A CR 3/4 encounter for a lvl 2 party is quite doable. I'd just continue the encounter and award the increased rewards unless there is a serious TPK risk. The death of a former PC now NPC is not a big deal in my book.

It does bring up the question of whether or not they count as a member of the group as far as XP for the rest is concerned.

--

I'm currently playing Savage Tide, as well, and the Rhagodessa wasn't that much of an issue for us. Then again, it was a different party etc etc.

Spuddles
2012-12-21, 01:30 AM
Is it easy to kite? It has relatively low AC. If it's in a hold, could arrows be shot at it until it stars climbing out? Then stab with reach weapons forcing more difficult climb checks.

At low levels, higher CR stuff is manageable with tactics instead of trading full attAcks

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-12-21, 03:24 AM
At least it's not a Monstrous Crab (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a), or a Dragonkin (Draconomicon) with Combat Reflexes and Large and In Charge, or a CR 1 Dragonwrought Kobold Dracolich Warrior 1 with two flaws for Epic Toughness twice...

Just putting it in perspective that some (many) monsters are under-CR'd, so if your players happen to have an extremely difficult time with an encounter that you first thought would be a suitable challenge, then it's fine to give them a little extra xp for it (+1-2 CR is usually fitting).

ericgrau
2012-12-21, 05:29 AM
Low levels come with low hp so getting one shotted shouldn't be surprising. On the plus side your negative hp is almost as high as your regular hp so that can save your life. At CR 3 or 4 it is supposed to be a difficult fight. Though at level 2 difficult fights might not be the best thing for the PC's health.

If you're afraid of another PC getting knocked out, though he'll probably live, you could tone it down. If you don't tone it down then don't forget to reward the xp of a high CR fight for those who survive.