PDA

View Full Version : Random Acts of Kindness

Chilingsworth
2012-12-20, 03:09 PM
Just thought I'd share this (http://notalwaysright.com/the-gift-card-that-keeps-giving/25836) story in hopes of provoking others to imitate it as I have.

Now, I certainly can't give $150.00 out like that woman did, but I was still able to imitate her. My errands today took me to three grocery stores and a pharmacy. At each store, I bought a small gift card ($5 or $10) and asked the cashier to give it to the next person he/she served who looked like they were either having a horrible day or otherwise could use it. One of the cashiers said his store's rules prevented him from doing that, so I gave that card and a small food donation to a local food pantry.

You know what? Doing that felt good enough that I plan to make a monthly habit of it (though on a smaller scale than I did today.)

So anyway, that's my story. I hope some folks will join me in picking up this habit.

king_clumsy
2012-12-29, 02:35 PM
I approve :)

Random acts of kindness are a great idea. I first heard of it through Danny Wallace's book "Join me" where he ended up starting a group that did a Random Act of Kindness every friday (at least).

They even had RAoK flashmobs and marches.

Drakeburn
2012-12-29, 03:02 PM
I used to do a random act of kindness as well, setting knocked over garbage bins back up. And not just for neighbors, but for random people who happen to have a knocked over garbage bin. I usually do this when I'm walking home from school, or when I'm going for a walk.

Serpentine
2012-12-30, 07:27 AM
I tried to give a really helpful shoeshop girl a tip the other day. She wasn't allowed to take it. I was super embarrassed.

I um don't really feel comfortable talking about nice things I've done that don't involve personal humiliation, though. I've received a bunch, but not many that make good stories. I may as well give a shout out to all the Playgrounders who've helped me out in the last year, though. I'm not gonna list all the people and deeds cuz I'll inevitably miss something and/or someone, but the big ones include The Succubus, KuReshtin, Thufir and Tasroth, Qwaz, Totally Guy and Archonic Energy. Who'd I miss, aside from some drinks and meals?