PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about this backstory?

Jon_Dahl
2012-12-20, 04:48 PM
Originally, a certain gnome warmage* went to limbo for a day and then returned to prime material plane. During his time in limbo, the gnome cast a few spells. Due to the chaotic nature of limbo, the chaos itself created a clone of him. The clone had memories and abilities of the original gnome, levels included.

As the original gnome died several weeks later, the clone escaped limbo and went to see the old family friends of the original gnome. The original gnome's father had saved the life of one of the family friends and they owed gratitude. The clone made a request: "Since I have lost my gear, create a new set of gear for me, please."
And so the family friends, using magical crafting abilities, created the exact same gear for him.

Now the clone is a complete replica of the original gnome, including XP and every piece of gear down to the last detail. He's ready to adventure.

* Player's previous character.

hymer
2012-12-20, 04:59 PM
If this is a very philosophic group who likes to discuss individuality, mortality and the like, could be interesting.
If this a group that's all about the giggles, this is fine.
If this is the GM catering to a player who can't get over the loss of his PC, well, allright.

If this is a way of getting around paying for getting resed, go to Baator.

Edit: If this happens again, regardless of circumstances, send in the maruts.

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-12-20, 07:13 PM
It's interesting, but like hymer said/kinda, sorta implied, I wouldn't be cool unless the player was ready to roleplay the clone as a different character and deal with the consequences (practical and likely philosophical) of his duplicative existence. Heck, I might even (read: likely would) either find a way to route the PCs through the appropriate afterlife or have some NPC raise the original (now an NPC, naturally) to force the two to meet, preferably either on opposite sides of a conflict or in a way that forces them to work together closely. This kind of story hook's too good not to use.