PDA

View Full Version : Undead & Construct Hit Dice

javijuji
2012-12-20, 06:42 PM
Quick question. Does a construct with class levels roll d10 on his class levels or only d10 on his monster hit dice and the rest of the dice with the corresponding class dice?

I'm guessing the same question would apply to an undead with class levels.

Reason I ask is because I am playing a Maug (Construct) Artificer and I'm not sure weather I should roll all my hit dice with d10s or just 2d10s and then 1d6s for the artificer levels.

Edge of Dreams
2012-12-20, 06:50 PM
You roll your racial HD size only for racial HD. For any HD gained from class levels, you roll the class's HD size.

A construct with 5 racial HD and 3 levels of Artificer would roll 5d10+3d6. He would normally then add 8 times his Con mod, but constructs don't have a Con score.

Malimar
2012-12-20, 06:54 PM
Some templates (e.g., Lich) specify things like "Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s." These are exceptions to the general rule.

The general rule, which applies if you don't have a race or template that specifically tells you to do something specific with your HD, is you roll your racial HD only for your racial HD and your class's HD for your class levels.

Runestar
2012-12-20, 08:02 PM
Undead and construct don't automatically upgrade your class HD. Just look at the MM's mummy cleric, which has 8d12+10d8 for hp.

mattie_p
2012-12-20, 08:27 PM
Also note that by RAW Necropolitan does not increase future hit dice to d12 (despite some people's hopes and dreams).