PDA

View Full Version : [PF, 3.5] Need Some Help for a Friend's Monster NPC

3drinks
2012-12-20, 07:23 PM
Hey guys, been a long time since I've posted here, but I need some help for a friend's campaign. He has some monster NPC that he wants to design that [for w/e reason, needs to be large size] and he came to me to help him, but I wanted to redirect here as I feel there will be more advice coming from you folks than myself. So I'm just going to c/p everything he explained to me via Skype here for you.

"Okay I need to know how does one make a large character? See im trying to make an enemy for my next dnd game who is supposed to rival the PCs onpower level but he is large so I need to know what all goes into that. I found some charts in the books but nothing that seemed to give all the answers."

Runestar
2012-12-20, 08:06 PM
Mechanics-wise, most monsters can be advanced via racial HD, which often entails a size-increase past a certain threshold. There are spells and abilities which can temporarily increase a creature's size as well (eg: enlarge person, or a cleric using miracle to replicate giant size).

It would be easier if he could supply the monster in question, and what he hopes to do with it. :smallsmile:

3drinks
2012-12-20, 09:10 PM
Mechanics-wise, most monsters can be advanced via racial HD, which often entails a size-increase past a certain threshold. There are spells and abilities which can temporarily increase a creature's size as well (eg: enlarge person, or a cleric using miracle to replicate giant size).

It would be easier if he could supply the monster in question, and what he hopes to do with it. :smallsmile:

Hmm...I just checked my Skype log, and he never did mention the race. Odd. He mentioned something about a Monk and, what I can only assume is natural weapons only, but that's all he left. :smallconfused:

Runestar
2012-12-20, 10:21 PM
I was reviewing your 1st post, and felt that your friend's statement could be interpreted in 2 ways.

1) How to make a medium-sized npc large.
2) What modifiers do you apply to an npc who has been made large.

If he is simply large via a spell or other ability, he will not get the physical stat modifiers as listed in the MM (so no +8str/+4con). He will get double natural reach, -1AC, -1to-hit, and his unarmed strikes/natural attacks' damage will get improved by 1 category.

3drinks
2012-12-21, 11:16 PM
I was reviewing your 1st post, and felt that your friend's statement could be interpreted in 2 ways.

1) How to make a medium-sized npc large.
2) What modifiers do you apply to an npc who has been made large.

If he is simply large via a spell or other ability, he will not get the physical stat modifiers as listed in the MM (so no +8str/+4con). He will get double natural reach, -1AC, -1to-hit, and his unarmed strikes/natural attacks' damage will get improved by 1 category.

Thanks for the reply. I believe what he wants is not to make the NPC large by a spell or spell-like ability, but to craft him as just a large person from the get-go. In other words, what you said in 1). Thanks!