PDA

View Full Version : Dante's Inferno

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-20, 08:37 PM
Since the folks here in the playground have long struck me as a fairly diverse and cerebral lot, I figured this would be a good place to ask; does anyone know where I can read Dante's Inferno?

Links would be appreciated and feel free to discuss this classical piece of literature.

Eldan
2012-12-20, 08:40 PM
Have you checkeD Project Gutenberg?

Dienekes
2012-12-20, 08:49 PM
WikiSource claims to have the text here (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Divine_Comedy/Inferno). No guarantee of quality on it though as it's a wiki, but I've never had a problem with wikisource the half a dozen times I've used it

Water_Bear
2012-12-20, 09:12 PM
Honestly, just type it into Google. I'd be shocked if it wasn't on the first page. It's been public domain since before that was a thing, so there've got to be at least a few hundred sites with full text english translations.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-20, 11:09 PM
I would google it but, unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the poet that wrote it. Without that all you get is links related to the video game of the same title.

edit: It probably doesn't help that I forgot that the proper title is "The Divine Comedy", the link provided above looks good, wiki or no.

Anarion
2012-12-21, 12:11 AM
Go to google books and type in The Inferno of Dante. In fact, here it is. (http://books.google.com/books?id=htkrUmjuNjoC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false) You can also download it as a free ebook.

The Glyphstone
2012-12-21, 12:28 AM
I would google it but, unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the poet that wrote it. Without that all you get is links related to the video game of the same title.

edit: It probably doesn't help that I forgot that the proper title is "The Divine Comedy", the link provided above looks good, wiki or no.

The poet who wrote it is, surprisingly, named Dante.:smallbiggrin:

Dante Alighieri, specifically.

Mutant Sheep
2012-12-21, 12:35 AM

:smallconfused: Google gives me the wikipedia page on the Divine Comedy as the second search result. (Yeah, the first is the video game. :smallsigh: But even the EA page has " based off the Dante Aligheri's epic poem, The Divine Comedy" right in the preview text.):smallconfused:

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-21, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I discovered most of this pretty quickly. Posted the request before I googled. (didn't see a link to the poem on google though.) The wiki linked up-thread had what I was after and I've already read the first few cantos.

Would anyone care to discuss the actual poem?

Feytalist
2012-12-21, 01:45 AM
The Divine Comedy by Dante, Illustrated by Dante Alighieri (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8800); Project Gutenberg.

It really helps if you have a version with translator notes and annotations, to help explain to you the allegories and allusions. Dante wrote pretty much his whole life, friends and enemies into the work, and it really helps to have a bit of background.

The version I have is a dual-language Italian and English one, and the translation and annotations are pretty good. Gives a bit of a history lesson on 13th century Italy and the political climate around that time, which helps. As for the poem itself, the original version apparently flows pretty well, but I always thought it was a bit pompous. The whole thing is essentially a stand-in for Dante saying "all my friends are going to Paradise, and all my enemies are going to Hell. So there." I do like much of the imagery, though, which is I suppose the main attraction of the work.

Dienekes
2012-12-21, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I discovered most of this pretty quickly. Posted the request before I googled. (didn't see a link to the poem on google though.) The wiki linked up-thread had what I was after and I've already read the first few cantos.

A fun bit of poetry created by the guy that did for the Italian language what Chaucer did for English. It unfortunately loses some of the poetry since it's translated (always happens, sadly) but still very interesting. Also, lots of torture.

Also have to admire Dante's balls for placing a currently living pope in Hell, as well as many, many more.

Morph Bark
2012-12-21, 08:20 AM
I bought a copy of the entire Divine Comedy at a book market about a month ago. I haven't read very far yet, but it's fun to read out loud. :smallsmile:

Killer Angel
2012-12-21, 09:28 AM

Well, if I can be of some help, here I am.

BTW, it's divided in three parts, following Dante's journey. Inferno (Hell), Purgatorio (Purgatory) and Paradiso (Heaven).
The most interesting and "entertaining" one is, withoud doubt, Dante's Inferno.

The Succubus
2012-12-21, 10:39 AM
I've read it a few times and also once did a World of Warcraft parody of it that was rather amusing.

It is very dated and a lot of the historical figures it references are largely meaningless to us now, unless you're into obscure branches of early history. The depictions of the various circles still remain as vivid as ever though; it's important to get a good translation though.

My Penguin Classics copy is heavily annotated so that I can read up about the various political figures Dante mentions. I confess I haven't read Purgatorio or Paradiso though. I'm informed they're rather dry affairs.

Also, no succubi. :smallfrown:

White_North
2012-12-21, 11:25 AM
If you can spare some money, I'd highly recommend Dorothy L. Sayers' translation of the Divine Comedy (http://www.amazon.com/The-Divine-Comedy-Part-Classics/dp/0140440062/ref=sip_rech_dp_5). More than any other version I've seen, it tries to recreate the metre and rhythm of the poem in its original Italian. Her footnotes and end-of-canto commentaries are also very helpful and do a great job of giving you some context (both historical and cultural). So yeah, if you can afford it, I'd recommend that one.

As for the poem itself, I very much encourage you to read it. It's quite dense and the pacing is very deliberate, but I think it's a very rewarding read, even for non-academic purposes. I'd suggest just reading one canto per day. It may not seem like much, but going about it gradually will allow you to really think on each canto and really absorb the work. It might take you a while, but I believe that's a good way to go (at first, at least).

LaughingGnoll
2012-12-23, 07:30 AM

It's interesting, if anyone has read Virgil's Aeneid, there are plenty of parallels between his descriptions of the Underworld and Alighieri's Inferno part of the Divine Comedy.

In fact, I've heard that one of the reasons Virgil is portrayed as Dante's guide through the Comedy is because of the heavy influence that Virgil's works had on Alighieri.

Morph Bark
2012-12-23, 07:33 AM
It's interesting, if anyone has read Virgil's Aeneid, there are plenty of parallels between his descriptions of the Underworld and Alighieri's Inferno part of the Divine Comedy.

In fact, I've heard that one of the reasons Virgil is portrayed as Dante's guide through the Comedy is because of the heavy influence that Virgil's works had on Alighieri.

That explains the heavy Greek/Roman influences clearly apparent in the poem.

Spuddles
2012-12-26, 06:56 PM

It's a great poem. I think of it as part of a trilogy of western literature about journies to the underworld- the aenead, inferno, and paradise lost.

Kindablue
2012-12-26, 07:41 PM

From Inferno, Canto I:

"And art thou then that Virgil,that well-spring,
From which such copious floods of eloquence
Have issued?" I with front abash'd replied.
"Glory and light of all the tuneful train!
May it avail me that I long with zeal
Have sought thy volume,and with love immense
Have conn'd it o'er. My master thou and guide!
Thou he from whom alone I have deriv'd
That style,which for its beauty into fame
Exalts me..."

I've read it, but only the Longfellow translation, not the original. I'd like to learn more Italian, but who has the time, etc.

Also, if you're reading it, definitely check out those Doré illustrations.

Wyntonian
2012-12-26, 07:49 PM
My copy isn't annotated, so I tend to get kinda lost after 50 pages or so, lose interest and read something else for a couple months until I find it again under a stack of books and go "Oh! The Inferno! I should read this!".

CurlyKitGirl
2012-12-26, 08:50 PM
The Divine Comedy by Dante, Illustrated by Dante Alighieri (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8800); Project Gutenberg.

It really helps if you have a version with translator notes and annotations, to help explain to you the allegories and allusions. Dante wrote pretty much his whole life, friends and enemies into the work, and it really helps to have a bit of background.

The version I have is a dual-language Italian and English one, and the translation and annotations are pretty good. Gives a bit of a history lesson on 13th century Italy and the political climate around that time, which helps. As for the poem itself, the original version apparently flows pretty well, but I always thought it was a bit pompous. The whole thing is essentially a stand-in for Dante saying "all my friends are going to Paradise, and all my enemies are going to Hell. So there." I do like much of the imagery, though, which is I suppose the main attraction of the work.

I know I've asked you this before, but can I have the information on the dual language one? I lost the information from the last time.
And yeah, Dante's a bit pompous, and most of the people he speaks to in Hell are his enemies are wildly corrupt/unpopular people alive when he was writing the poem, but it's a wonderful insight into late-thirteenth and early fourteenth-century Italian culture (the same goes for Boccaccio's Decameron, which I also highly recommend) and politics.
Plus it's a very lovely poem. And ridiculously influential.

I've read it a few times and also once did a World of Warcraft parody of it that was rather amusing.

It is very dated and a lot of the historical figures it references are largely meaningless to us now, unless you're into obscure branches of early history. The depictions of the various circles still remain as vivid as ever though; it's important to get a good translation though.

My Penguin Classics copy is heavily annotated so that I can read up about the various political figures Dante mentions. I confess I haven't read Purgatorio or Paradiso though. I'm informed they're rather dry affairs.

Also, no succubi. :smallfrown:

If you can spare some money, I'd highly recommend Dorothy L. Sayers' translation of the Divine Comedy (http://www.amazon.com/The-Divine-Comedy-Part-Classics/dp/0140440062/ref=sip_rech_dp_5). More than any other version I've seen, it tries to recreate the metre and rhythm of the poem in its original Italian. Her footnotes and end-of-canto commentaries are also very helpful and do a great job of giving you some context (both historical and cultural). So yeah, if you can afford it, I'd recommend that one.

As for the poem itself, I very much encourage you to read it. It's quite dense and the pacing is very deliberate, but I think it's a very rewarding read, even for non-academic purposes. I'd suggest just reading one canto per day. It may not seem like much, but going about it gradually will allow you to really think on each canto and really absorb the work. It might take you a while, but I believe that's a good way to go (at first, at least).

I love Sayers' translations! Her version of Le Chansom de Roland is lively, but keeps the pacing of the original very well.

I also agree with the pacing suggestion, a canto or two away keeps the density away.
Not that I took this advice myself when I read it. Then again, here's a girl who read through all of Paradise Lost in about a week, notes and all. I liberated the book from a college (UK) classroom shelf where it was growing dusty and was permitted to keep it.
And yep, just s La Commedia takes inspiration from the Aeneid, Paradise Lost draws inspiration from both works.

Well, yes, because he says so in one of the first Canto's that he'd read Virgil's works and loved them.

That explains the heavy Greek/Roman influences clearly apparent in the poem.

. . .
You do realise that the majority of European literature up to the beginning of the C20th and beyond was heavily influenced by Ancient -> Archaic -> Classical Greek and Roman mythology right?

I have to say that as far as the poem goes, while Inferno is the best, I do quite like Paradiso because it makes everything so very alien and difficult to understand. It fits. Humanity shouldn't be able to comprehend Paradise and the afterlife until after they've died.

Anarion
2012-12-26, 09:10 PM
I have to say that as far as the poem goes, while Inferno is the best, I do quite like Paradiso because it makes everything so very alien and difficult to understand. It fits. Humanity shouldn't be able to comprehend Paradise and the afterlife until after they've died.

That is a very generous way of putting it. I read Inferno and Purgatorio and liked them a lot. I got about halfway through Paradiso before I declared that paradise is clearly the single most boring place in the universe, Beatrice is the worst guide ever to exist, and I had had quite enough.

Killer Angel
2012-12-27, 02:54 AM
I'd like to learn more Italian, but who has the time, etc.

Well, even for a native speaker, the Divine Comedy isn't exactly an easy read... :smallwink:

That is a very generous way of putting it. I read Inferno and Purgatorio and liked them a lot. I got about halfway through Paradiso before I declared that paradise is clearly the single most boring place in the universe, Beatrice is the worst guide ever to exist, and I had had quite enough.

So true...
Probably, Mark Twain was a fresh reader of Dante's Paradise, when he delivered the aphorism "I would choose Heaven for climate but Hell for company".

Spuddles
2012-12-27, 03:14 AM
The majority of western literature up until the 20th century wasn't heavily influenced by greek and roman culter- that's preposterous. Northern Europeans had a wealth of pagan and folk stories to pull on which then became modified and adapted as church-centric motifs became less common during the late 18th and 19th centuries.

Other than the entire bible being an ancient Hebrew story, which probably served as the nominal inspiration for like half the art that came out of Europe for like a 1000 years, you've got robin hood, king arthur, roland, thor & the twilight of the gods, the dragonslayers of germany and england, beowulf, virtually every tolkien/d&d monster, werewolves, vampires, witches....

The 19th century produced Poe, Shelley, and Kafka, whose works are uniquely modern and contemporary. Their romantic bent has little relation to old stories of greek heroes. There was also hans christian anderson and the brothers grimm- totally northern european writers.

To say that the majority of western writers were heavily influenced by greek and roman works is to grossly oversimply something like 1500 years of writing ove an entire continent.