PDA

View Full Version : Analyze Dweomer on steroids

The Redwolf
2012-12-21, 12:21 AM
Is there such a thing? Primarily I want to find a version that I can use on artifacts, because there is an artifact that is essentially password protected that I'd like to get through.

docnessuno
2012-12-21, 12:29 AM
Legend lore (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/legendLore.htm), altought quite different from Analyze Dweomer, might get you that bit of information, expecially if you have the item at hand.

the divination brings legends (if any) about the person, place, or things to your mind. These may be legends that are still current, legends that have been forgotten, or even information that has never been generally known.

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-21, 12:32 AM
Legend Lore and Vision were always the spells used for dealing with Artifacts...and all they really give you is what the DM wants you to know. Figuring out artifacts was always about the trail of breadcrumbs the DM left leading to the next encounter. Artifacts are supposed to be more 'mysterious' I guess.

Story
2012-12-21, 02:15 AM
I thought artifact was shorthand for DM plot device.

TuggyNE
2012-12-21, 03:11 AM

It is, so far as I know. There's no defined way to get artifacts short of finding them by plot (or stealing/buying them from someone who has them by plot, or making them by extreme epic plot, or whatever).

CTrees
2012-12-21, 10:54 AM

I thought it was shorthand for "use Disjunction now."

Seriously ever time a group I've played with has come across a plot-device artifact, EVERYONE has made it an immediate mission to destroy or irrevocably lose it, because of the potential unknown dangers. This... tends not to be appreciated by DMs...

Edit: come to think of it, there's usually a bit of "we don't know what it is/what it does. Maybe if we break it open, it'll be filled with candy!" going on from at least one or two PCs...

Fates
2012-12-21, 11:00 AM
I thought it was shorthand for "use Disjunction now."

Seriously ever time a group I've played with has come across a plot-device artifact, EVERYONE has made it an immediate mission to destroy or irrevocably lose it, because of the potential unknown dangers. This... tends not to be appreciated by DMs...

Pah! What kind of PCs avoid unknown dangers? My players tend to run screaming into the unknown, guns blazing, stepping over tripwires, blundering past angry dragons, and eventually falling off of the world. Or something like that, anyway. It makes DMing for the a tad difficult.

Anywho, I never like using disjunction on artifacts. There's always that 5% chance that you'll never be able to cast spells again.

sreservoir
2012-12-21, 02:13 PM
Pah! What kind of PCs avoid unknown dangers? My players tend to run screaming into the unknown, guns blazing, stepping over tripwires, blundering past angry dragons, and eventually falling off of the world. Or something like that, anyway. It makes DMing for the a tad difficult.

Anywho, I never like using disjunction on artifacts. There's always that 5% chance that you'll never be able to cast spells again.

right, that's why we have body outside body and disjunction as archmage SLA.

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-21, 02:23 PM
Seriously ever time a group I've played with has come across a plot-device artifact, EVERYONE has made it an immediate mission to destroy or irrevocably lose it...

Sure...because it is such a great idea to try and destroy the DM's plot device...yeah. After all, what could go wrong? :smallconfused:

Fates
2012-12-21, 07:16 PM
Sure...because it is such a great idea to try and destroy the DM's plot device...yeah. After all, what could go wrong? :smallconfused:

Rocks, total-party-kill, you know the drill.