PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 divine metamagic

Xcalibur
2012-12-21, 01:27 AM
Hi, just made a cleric with extend spell feat, persistant spell and divine metamagic.

Level 4, 18 charisma, 18 wisdom.

My DM told me that, if I wanted to use persistant spell fueled by divine metamagic, I would need to be naturaly able to cast the enhanced slot.

Meaning, if I want to cast a level 1 with those 6 extra slots used (7 turn undead spent instead), I would require to have level 7 slot avaiable (meaning to be level 13 at least).

MAkes no sense! Anyone got real proof on hand? A link? something?

Snowbluff
2012-12-21, 01:37 AM
Makes sense from a balancing perspective, but not RAW as far as I know.

Hirax
2012-12-21, 01:46 AM
Your DM's decision has no rules basis, and they likely know it. It's probably an intentional nerf.

LanSlyde
2012-12-21, 01:52 AM
The proof is in the wording of DMM itself.

Because you're using positive or negative energy to augment your spells, the spell slot for the spell doesn't change.

Explain this to your DM. If he is still dead set on requiring you be able to normally persist a spell without using DMM then he either don't know what he is talking about or he doesn't want you using DMM to break his campaign to begin with. If the latter is the case I would demand to be allowed to rework my character. Because at that point DMM would be useless and I have better things to do with my Turning/Rebuking attempts.

TuggyNE
2012-12-21, 03:16 AM
Your DM's decision has no rules basis, and they likely know it. It's probably an intentional nerf.

This is almost certainly the case, since I know I've heard this suggested as a means of nerfing DMM. It's not a terrible idea, although it certainly does reduce the effectiveness of the feat a lot. (Not, however, to the point where it's totally worthless, or even especially sub-par, IMHO.)

1Note that, unlike a lot of T1 nerfs, it doesn't appear to affect low-op uses more than high-op: if anything, the reverse. So that's a plus for it.

Kumori
2012-12-21, 04:46 AM
If I were to houserule a nerf for DMM, limiting it to only doing things you could do without it sounds like something I might do. It wouldn't be the only change I'd make, however. That change alone takes the feat down a few pegs, so I'd also make it not cost the extra turn for each use. DMM quicken, for example, would cost 4 turn attempts, not 5.

Pilo
2012-12-21, 05:34 AM
RAW allow a DM to change the rules:

DMG p14: Beyond simply adjudicating, sometimes you are going to want to
change things. That’s okay. However, changing the rules is a challenge
for a DM with only a little experience.

You try to cheese up your PC and it seems like your DM does not want a High-Op party, so try to understand his point of view, if you think your PC is wasted by this change, ask your DM if you can change it a little (Like not taking DMM and Persist spell).