PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Powers + No displays? Detection Question

Red_Death01
2012-12-21, 03:10 AM
So in Expanded Psionics I've found that you can identify the power someone uses with a 15 + power level psicraft check (this check requires a display though).... If you avoid manifesting displays though (with a concentration 15 + power level check) how does someone go about determining who or what just affected them?

Andreaz
2012-12-21, 04:22 AM
So in Expanded Psionics I've found that you can identify the power someone uses with a 15 + power level psicraft check (this check requires a display though).... If you avoid manifesting displays though (with a concentration 15 + power level check) how does someone go about determining who or what just affected them?If you have any sort of magic detection, I'd allow a clean check.

TuggyNE
2012-12-21, 06:26 AM
I'm not sure there is any way. Presumably, if you were using arcane sight and happened to be looking in the right direction, you could get some sort of clue from transient auras or whatever, but I don't think there's any specific RAW for that.

Spuddles
2012-12-21, 07:03 AM
For difficult to detect magic/psionics, I usually make the base DC 30 (spellcraft dc for identifying properties of a magic river), plus level of effect.

Red_Death01
2012-12-21, 07:49 AM
Alright, because I'll be playing a Psion Telepath that will be using mostly "nonvisual" things- and I'm trying to play the hidden role with it so that enemies think I'm simply that harmless old dude in the back that is moral support. Since I won't be doing any actual movements or displays I was wondering if there was any real way for the DM to justify a downpour of hate upon the character. Thus- Was trying to figure out if there was alternative means of detecting the source :P

Andreaz
2012-12-21, 08:35 AM
Since I won't be doing any actual movementsYou can't be sure of that. Manifesting even without a display still provokes AoOs. While the movements aren't critical to the casting itself, what you do will be observable.

Psyren
2012-12-21, 09:18 AM
From the SRD/XPH:

Psicraft (Int; Trained Only)
Use this skill to identify powers as they are manifest or powers already in place.

Check
You can identify powers and psionic effects. The DCs for Psicraft checks relating to various tasks are summarized on the table below.
Identify a power being manifested. (You must sense the power’s display, or see some visible effect, to identify a power.) No action required. No retry.
When manifesting detect psionics, determine the discipline involved in the aura of a single item or creature you can see.

Psicraft can only be used if (a) the display is visible, (b) the effect is obvious (e.g. a swarm of crystals or astral construct is still normally visible even if you hide its display) or (c) you have a detection power up - this allows you to see the aura, satisfying the second bolded portion.

For a telepathy power with displays suppressed, (a) and (b) do not apply. But don't think this gets you totally off the hook - remember that anyone can tell your thrall is acting funny via simple Sense Motive.

Zanthy1
2012-12-21, 11:06 AM
Alright, because I'll be playing a Psion Telepath that will be using mostly "nonvisual" things- and I'm trying to play the hidden role with it so that enemies think I'm simply that harmless old dude in the back that is moral support.

On a side note, if you took a level in Bard, people would never suspect that the old dude playing the lute is actually affecting them, and instead of just being some random old dude, you actually do serve a purpose: moral support. But your support is not just comic relief, but also slightly beneficial.

And now I think I am gonna use this idea...