PDA

View Full Version : Best RPGs for the Wii console?

raymundo
2012-12-21, 04:14 AM
Greetings,

I just recently purchased a Wii for some gaming fun, but I had some doubts about the quality about the games avaiable. I'm looking for some advice for good Wii RPGs, or action adventures or tactical/strategical RPGs.. do you guys have some advice?

Socratov
2012-12-21, 04:28 AM
I don't have the wii myself, but I heard good things about Zelda (one of the installments)

Comet
2012-12-21, 04:36 AM
Xenoblade.

Massive world, rocking music, enjoyable characters and a fast combat system that puts emphasis on teamwork and precognition among other things.

Brother Oni
2012-12-21, 05:13 AM
Seconding Xenoblade Chronicles.

Zelda games are always good if you're into adventure games.

Fire Emblem is another choice.

Game Cube games work on the Wii, if you can still find them, which opens up the possibilities (Skies of Arcadia is a good start).

If you have an internet connection, there are a number of old school games available from the Wii Shop (Zelda and Final Fantasy spring to mind).

Socratov
2012-12-21, 05:28 AM
if gamecube games are open you could try FF: Chrystal chronicles, it's quite entertaining (played soem version on the DS but still)

RoyVG
2012-12-21, 05:30 AM
Xenoblade Chronicles is a fantastic Wii RPG. It's pretty long, looks really good, combat is pretty unique for a Console RPG. Gameplay wise, it feels a bit like a MMORPG, without being an MMORPG.

Tales of Sypmhonia; Dawn of the new World is also pretty decent, if you played the previous games on the Gamecube. Even if you didn't, the story not overly complicated. If you have a Gamecube controller and a Memory card, I suggest the first one though.

I really enjoyed Rune Factory (Frontier and Tides Of Destiny). It's basically Harvest Moon, with dungeon crawling thrown in there. It's a farming simulator. It's pretty easy to sink hours of time into this game when you are really into it.

For Tactical/Stategy RPGs, I recommend Fire Emblem; Radiant Dawn, but be careful, even on easy difficulty, the game is hard as f**k. It's the sequel to Fire Emblem; Path of Radiance on the Gamecube, and I would advise to play that game first. Again, only if you have a Gamecube controller and a Memory card. Ike, one of the characters from Super Smash Bros Brawl, originates from these 2 games.

For Action/Adventure you can't go wrong with Zelda; Twilight Princess if you are more into darker games, and Zelda; Skyward Sword if you like colors more :smalltongue:. Skyward Sword does require a Wii Motion Plus (or Wiimote Plus), So make sure you have it. Twilight Princess also exists as a Gamecube game. Both game are fantastic.

Tylorious
2012-12-21, 07:02 AM
Skyward sword is by far the most amazing zelda game i have ever played, you should enjoy every moment you spend on playing that game.

Also, the Castlevania series is a must-play, if there are any for the wii. i know you can get some of the older castlevania games on the online shop but i'm not sure which ones are available.

When it comes to all out rpg's, paper mario is really fun, though light hearted.

If you are going for something almost MMO style, look at monster hunter tri. And for a little less orthodox rpg style, check out harvest moon, fire emblem, and puzzle quest.

I hope this helped a little.

raymundo
2012-12-21, 08:35 AM
Hey wow, many thanks to you, that was swift! I'll make some christmas shopping soon after reading up on some of your hints

Sleverin
2012-12-22, 01:45 PM
Speaking of Final Fantasy, Sakaguchi who was one of the more prominent members of the FF series recently released an action/RPG that has received a lot of praise, The Last Story. I've been meaning to get it for some time now, the original release has some bonus stuff that comes with it, if you want incentive to buy a non used version.

KillingAScarab
2012-12-23, 12:16 AM
if gamecube games are open you could try FF: Chrystal chronicles, it's quite entertaining (played soem version on the DS but still)If you're referring to the original Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles... that game was really meant to be played with four players... and four Game Boy Advances... as the controller, meaning four controller cables, too. Solo is difficult, or it has been in my experience. Still, there are people who do "Let's Play" videos of it on YouTube. Amongst my favorite RPGs for the GameCube were the X-Men Legends action-RPGs made by Raven Software. There were also Wii versions of Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Ultimate Alliance 2, the spiritual successors to Legends, but I don't have enough experience with them to recommend them.

Having a Wii means you also have access to the Virtual Console and WiiWare, so long as you can get it on the Internet. Let's open up that can of worms, shall we?

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is available in an episodic format on WiiWare. If you haven't already picked up the Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection but have enjoyed some version of Final Fantasy IV (another one was just released a few days ago for iOS... a touch-up of the DS port), you can purchase the first half of The After Years, and see how you like it.

If you haven't played Final Fantasy IV, yet, it is available through the Virtual Console. Just keep in mind it was called "Final Fantasy II" outside of Japan. *sigh* I thought we were through with that "FF 2us/4j" nonsense. Anyway, the script might be a bit silly in places, some things would be edited out such as Cecil's "Dark" attack, and inventory management wasn't the greatest, but the original game is there.

Also on the Virtual Console, you've got access to the original release of Chrono Trigger. O.K., so I really like old Square games, but I haven't met anyone yet who disliked Chrono Trigger. You won't get any of the enhancements given to its two ports, but also will not experience the load time the PlayStation port suffered. You also mentioned tactical RPGs, and two of the Ogre Battle games are available, at least on the Virtual Console in North America. I never played any of that series, however.

Speaking of not having played something... I'm curious, does anyone have any experience with Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon? I think it came out around 2009. Sort of a, "You wake up all alone after the world ended," kind of game. I never got around to picking it up.

Cynan Machae
2012-12-25, 12:22 AM
Speaking of Final Fantasy, Sakaguchi who was one of the more prominent members of the FF series recently released an action/RPG that has received a lot of praise, The Last Story. I've been meaning to get it for some time now, the original release has some bonus stuff that comes with it, if you want incentive to buy a non used version.
I second Last Story, I've played it and it's one of the best on the Wii definitely

Gaelbert
2012-12-25, 02:16 AM
Along similar lines, can someone point out a Wii (or easily available Gamecube RPG) with an engrossing plot/narrative depth? I don't care so much about gameplay, but I want a game that I can actually think about for some time. Something stimulating. Something along the lines of (I'm assuming because I've never played any of these) Bioshock, Spec Ops: The Line, Planescape Torment, etc. I've played a lot of RPGs and games for the Wii (Zelda springs to mind) that didn't do a whole lot for me.

Sleverin
2012-12-25, 10:42 AM
Speaking of not having played something... I'm curious, does anyone have any experience with Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon? I think it came out around 2009. Sort of a, "You wake up all alone after the world ended," kind of game. I never got around to picking it up.

I don't sadly, but I'm really interested in picking this game up. From what I've read the atmosphere is really well done but the combat is a touch clunky. A lot of people seemed to agree that all the story/atmosphere stuff overrides the subpar combat mechanics. Hope to pick this one up soon.

Tylorious
2012-12-26, 09:35 AM

I have played this game and all I want to say is that it is an overdone concept backed up with poor coding and gameplay. Let me rephrase that: concept does take a new outlook on the "post-apocolypse" but it needed a little bit more work before release in order for my, personally, to take it seriously...I hope this review helped a little, but I still think you should try it for yourself because I am very picky about my games.

Rising Phoenix
2012-12-26, 10:50 AM
I'll echo Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story, with the last story being slightly worse than Xenoblade for me (annoying main protagonists are annoying, but it has Lowell and Syrenne which are among the most enjoyable characters I've ever encountered in a video game). I also have Pandora's Tower, but haven't gotten around to playing that.

If you want to bang your head against the wall Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn will suit your tests. Lastly there's the No More Heroes franchise which is good for a laugh and Muramasa the Demon Blade, which a fantastic side scroller, though no really an rpg.

Also a word of warning that a few of the suggested games have already become rare (e.g. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is rare in Australia) so snap them up while you can.

Bit Fiend
2012-12-26, 11:04 AM
You should definitely give Pandora's Tower a try, assuming you can get it. It has a great atmosphere and a small but really good cast of characters. Also, it somewhat merges Action-RPG and dating sim... :smalltongue:

Edit: Oh, just saw you're German. Then yes, you can (and should) get your hands on that one.