PDA

View Full Version : Pearls of Power

AlanBruce
2012-12-21, 05:38 AM
According to the DMG, each type of Pearl let's you recall a single spell from the appointed level (for instance, a 6th level pearl of power would let you recast a 6th level spell). My question is simple: Would said 6th level PoP allow to recast one level each of a lower level spell. In other words, 1 5th, 1 4th, and so on? Or does it only allow to recast that single 6th level spell. Thank you very much in advance.

Deophaun
2012-12-21, 05:43 AM
"the spell must be of a particular level"

So, by RAW, you would only be able to recast a 6th level spell, not a 5th or 4th one. It won't even let you recast a lower level spell that was memorized in a sixth level slot (although it would let you recast a sixth level spell memorized in a higher level slot).

Addi
2012-12-21, 05:44 AM
I don't think so. They're talking about one spell. "The spell..." etc.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#pearlofPower

Yomega
2012-12-21, 05:44 AM
I was beeten to it but this is the exact wording from the srd

Pearl of Power
This seemingly normal pearl of average size and luster is a potent aid to all spellcasters who prepare spells (clerics
,*druids
,rangers
,*paladins
, and*wizards
). Once per day on command, a pearl of power enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it had not been cast. The spell must be of a particular level, depending on the pearl. Different pearls exist for recalling one spell per day of each level from 1st through 9th and for the recall of two spells per day (each of a different level, 6th or lower).

Cell garbled the text sorry about that

Addi
2012-12-21, 05:51 AM
I've never realized that last part. So for 70 000 gp you could buy a pearl of power with the option for recalling two spells per day.
They have to be of a different level no higher than 6th though.

Deophaun
2012-12-21, 05:55 AM
Yup. Saves you 1,000 gp if you want a sixth and a fifth. Complete waste of gold if you want anything else.

Addi
2012-12-21, 06:03 AM
Yup. Saves you 1,000 gp if you want a sixth and a fifth. Complete waste of gold if you want anything else.

5th Level: 25 k
6th Level: 36 k
= 61 K for two Pearls.

That would be 9 000 less than the "combined" pearl. Mind if I ask what you meant?

ericgrau
2012-12-21, 01:07 PM

Not really because it lets you recall spells of any level unlike the other options. You pay for the flexibility. Probably a waste of gold if you don't usually use higher level spells, but who wouldn't?

The bigger issue is that pearls in general are perhaps a bit expensive and you aren't going to be getting higher level pearls until level 20 or epic. Unless you have a very specific plan that involves only a little more spells and yet the amount of spells that you already have isn't enough.

Draz74
2012-12-21, 01:13 PM
Well, the low-level Pearls are hilariously cheap. Any optimized Ranger or Paladin should have a whole hoard of L1's.

But yeah, the higher-level Pearls are too expensive to be worth it at the levels most people play at, regardless of whether they're "Level 5 and Level 6" or "two levels, pick flexibly."

Deophaun
2012-12-21, 01:15 PM
That would be 9 000 less than the "combined" pearl. Mind if I ask what you meant?
I mean MATH IS HARD! SHUT UP! :smallbiggrin:

Not really because it lets you recall spells of any level unlike the other options. You pay for the flexibility.
Don't see any flexibility there. The only difference with these pearls is that they're for two spells instead of one. There is nothing that says that they are for an undefined two spells level 6 or lower that overrides the "of a particular level" clause. So, you have to decide whether your 70gp pearl of power is for a level 1 and 4 spell or a level 6 and 5 spell when you acquire it.

You may be right RAI, but I don't see it RAW.

ericgrau
2012-12-21, 01:30 PM
The RAW could go either way, though I think your way is stretching English extremely thin. I never realized it could be interpreted that way. "The spell must be of a particular level" refers to a single spell which the 70k pearl is not.

It seems like a weak case for the RAW and as you hinted at I doubt any DM would ever rule it that way regardless. Even a strict one.

kme
2012-12-22, 10:00 AM
(although it would let you recast a sixth level spell memorized in a higher level slot).

This is a very interesting part, suddenly pearls of power become much more appealing.

Using a 1st level pearl to restore a quickened 1st level spell (5th level slot) for example. It would probably be disallowed by almost all DMs though.