PDA

View Full Version : Enchanting a weapon, fast question.

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-21, 09:37 AM
I Have a masterwork weapon.. lets call it X
I want to enchant it with +1 bonus and Keen...
+1 bonus costs 2k..

The question is..
the final price is : 300g (masterwork) X (weapon) and..

+1 = 2000g
At description of Keen, price is " +1" so...
2000+2000+MW+X

OR

+1 from keen automatically makes the weapon counts as +2 for price
thus..
8000 (for +2) + MW + X

????

I think the correct is the latest, but while debating about this i could't find
in DMG, where it sais what i think it's correct...

So.. plz answer and justify by quoting from DMG or another Book.. thnx

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-21, 09:48 AM
The cost is based on the effective bonus (actual bonus plus virtual bonus cost enhancements) plus any other flat GP costs.

So, for a +1 keen magical weapon, the final cost will be 8,000 (cost for effectively a +2 weapon) plus 300 (cost for masterwork) plus whatever the cost of the normal weapon is (example: 15 gp for a longsword).

mattie_p
2012-12-21, 09:57 AM
If you need the specific quote, it is on page 221 of the DMG or on the SRD, quoted below:

In addition to an enhancement bonus, weapons may have special abilities. Special abilities count as additional bonuses for determining the market value of the item, but do not modify attack or damage bonuses (except where specifically noted). A single weapon cannot have a modified bonus (enhancement bonus plus special ability bonus equivalents) higher than +10. A weapon with a special ability must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus.

But KillianHawkeye explained the rule perfectly.

Slipperychicken
2012-12-21, 10:38 AM
Masterwork costs are already included in the magic enhancement cost.

A +1 Longsword would be 1015 gp. 1000 for the enhancement (which already includes the 300 from MWK), 15 for the base weapon.

"Upgrading" costs the difference between the two prices. For example, upgrading from +1 to +2 would be 7000gp, or 8,000-1000. Upgrading from Masterwork to +1 would cost the difference between the magic weapon price and the Masterwork price.

If your weapon is made from a special material such as Adamantium or Mithral, Masterwork costs may have already been included in that, even before you add magic enhancements to it.

Pilo
2012-12-21, 10:50 AM
Sorry Slipperychicken, but you are wrong.

As you can read it on the "Table: Common Melee Weapons" on this page of the srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm), "Add to enhancement bonus on Table: Weapons to determine total market price".

So a +1 Longsword costs 315gps for the weapon plus 2,000 gps for the +1, which makes its final price 2315 gps.

Keen is a +1 property and currently the longsword is only +1 so as 1+1=2, the cost of the +1 keen longsword is 315 gps for the sword plus 8000 gps for the Weapon Bonus so 8315gps at the end.

Now if we want to add the Holy property, which cost a +2, the total virtual weapon bonus will rise to +4 so the Keen Holy +1 longsword will cost 32315gps.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-21, 12:08 PM
Masterwork costs are already included in the magic enhancement cost.

If your weapon is made from a special material such as Adamantium or Mithral, Masterwork costs may have already been included in that, even before you add magic enhancements to it.

No to the first one. If it were, then all sample magic weapons wouldn't have a price that ends in 300 gold and change.
I do agree that MW costs are included already in the cost of special materials like mithral, which might be the source of your confusion. But that has nothing to do with your extra enhancements.

I'm personally unsure of how to use the X-craft, dawrf, drow, gith, etc, and special materials in pricing though. Currently I just buy the material for the weapon, and pay the difference between MW and x-craft.