PDA

View Full Version : Combining Druids and Lycanthropy--Help Me Do It

Amaril
2012-12-21, 12:11 PM
So, here's what I'm looking for advice on.

In the campaign setting I'm about to run a game in, I've decided to rework the Druid a bit to fit with the theme of the world better. Essentially, I'm eliminating the animal companion option (this is Pathfinder, so they get a cleric domain instead) and changing the Wild Shape feature so that instead of just becoming an animal, druids actually get lycanthropic powers. Now, my question is--when my Druid player shapeshifts, should I have her gain the exact statistics of the were-creature she turns into directly from the rulebooks, or should I homebrew statistics for her shapeshifted form, and if the latter, what kinds of abilities would you give a form like that?

As of now, I don't really have any particular stats in mind--I'm just figuring out whether I need to write up any. Can you help?

Cipher Stars
2012-12-21, 12:16 PM
So, here's what I'm looking for advice on.

In the campaign setting I'm about to run a game in, I've decided to rework the Druid a bit to fit with the theme of the world better. Essentially, I'm eliminating the animal companion option (this is Pathfinder, so they get a cleric domain instead) and changing the Wild Shape feature so that instead of just becoming an animal, druids actually get lycanthropic powers. Now, my question is--when my Druid player shapeshifts, should I have her gain the exact statistics of the were-creature she turns into directly from the rulebooks, or should I homebrew statistics for her shapeshifted form, and if the latter, what kinds of abilities would you give a form like that?

As of now, I don't really have any particular stats in mind--I'm just figuring out whether I need to write up any. Can you help?

Exact statistics? I was under the impression it was just a template with listed additives to your own statistics to represent the increase in capability through bestial transformation.
Such is the best way of going about it. You're still you, you gain bonuses with your big furry self.

Amaril
2012-12-21, 01:28 PM
Right, forgot it was a template...

Thing is, I'm pretty sure the template gives some sort of actual shapeshifting ability that grants some pretty huge bonuses, so would that make the Druid overpowered?

Cipher Stars
2012-12-21, 02:48 PM
Right, forgot it was a template...

Thing is, I'm pretty sure the template gives some sort of actual shapeshifting ability that grants some pretty huge bonuses, so would that make the Druid overpowered?

I'm really, apparently, not the best person to judge if something is Overpowered.

If it's awesome and/or fun; go with it.

Amaril
2012-12-21, 04:01 PM
Cool, I will :smallbiggrin: Thanks!

TheIanOakley
2012-12-21, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't let the Druid keep his Druid powers when he transforms though.

Cipher Stars
2012-12-21, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't let the Druid keep his Druid powers when he transforms though.

That sounds entirely lame. :smalleek:

What's the point of being a nature-magic user if you can't use nature magic when you're using a nature form?
You'd might as well shift to Cleric or Wizard spellcasting, making it actually worth restricting. *nods*
Particularly in a werewolf form, where you actually have hands (Clawed hands) and, at least in how werewolves are in my head, vocal cords.

Ziegander
2012-12-21, 05:43 PM
I think this is a very cool idea... you could have them turn into a Were-form of their Animal Companion... it might be best then to limit the list of selectable animal companions to ones that are most easily "were-ed" into, paring out things like, badger, camel, eagle, and snake.

Of course, things like a Were-Eagle and Weresnake sound really awesome, so if you worked out mechanics for those that would be nice.

More powerful Were-forms would become available at the same rate as more powerful animal companions, so at 16th level maybe you could become a Dire Weretiger with a Dire Tiger companion.

I really like this idea. In my opinion it would help to balance the Druid out some to lose Wild Shape in place of this. Not a lot, but some.

Amaril
2012-12-21, 06:44 PM
My plan is to keep the rules for Druid spellcasting in beast form so that they still need Natural Spell. Also, I'm restricting this version of the class to the option to gain one Cleric domain (as found in Pathfinder) rather than having an animal companion--Rangers are the ones who get animal companions in this setting. The progression of increased abilities for the beast form will also be removed or at least reworked--rather, the Druid will gradually learn to shapeshift more times every day and for longer periods.

Of course, things like a Were-Eagle and Weresnake sound really awesome, so if you worked out mechanics for those that would be nice.

Actually, those exact two were among the animals I was going to include :smallbiggrin: In this setting, each of the six gods has a sacred animal, and the form a Druid takes is related to the animal of their god--lycanthropy is not seen as evil in this world, but as the greatest gift the gods can bestow on a follower (at least by cultures that follow Druidic faiths). Of the six, the serpent is favored by Toth, god of the earth, while the eagle is favored by Rokkur, goddess of the sky. The choice of god also determines what animal companion rangers get (so it would be kinda stupid to make a ranger who worshiped the goddess of the sea, Nissa, and was restricted to a shark companion, unless you knew you'd be spending a lot of time around water).