PDA

View Full Version : Eberron - Chimes at Midnight (OOC)



Nimrod
2012-12-21, 03:20 PM
A place to keep track of a few things and rattle on about all kinds of OOC crap!

Character Creation:

Pathfinder 20 point-buy (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gettingStarted.html#ability-scores) for Ability Scores.

Max HP at Level 1, roll for subsequent levels, re-rolling less than half.

Maximum gold (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/equipment.html#table-6-1-starting-character-wealth) for your class, Level 3.

PF Core classes (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes.html) are preferred. No gunslingers.

Races not in the PF Core Rule Book (CRB) or Eberron Campaign Setting (CS) are case by case, depending on what it takes to make them fair-to-play. My preference is that Eberron races remain as listed in the CS. The Pathfinder Advanced Race Guide will be the final say on any racial modifications.

Hero Points (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedNewRules.html#hero-points) will be used in lieu of Action Points. Each character will begin the adventure with 3, modified by any applicable feats or bonuses. There will be plenty of opportunities to gain more.

Each character will be allowed two Traits (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedNewRules.html#traits) though you may not select more than one from each list (social, combat, religion, etc.). Spin it to fit the setting.

Dragonmarks will be allowed with obvious skill conversions.

Don't forget your Favored Class Bonuses! (+1 HP or +1 Skill rank for every level you attain in your favored class.)

House Rules:
I'll often grant a +2 or +4 bonus to rolls for well-written role playing. I may also grant additional Hero Points.

As far as weapon focus and specialization goes, you may specialize in a type of weapon rather than a specific weapon. This is largely dependent upon your class and abilities. This specialization may be as broad as all swords or all axes for fighters... or as narrow as two-handed weapons, thrown weapons, polearms, or small blades for other non-martial classes. I'm open minded about it, so ask if you have any questions. Exotic weapon proficiencies stand, but I will make cultural exceptions.

If an item has no mechanic attached to it and costs less than 1 gp (i.e. paper, wax, perfumes or cologne, a scarf, whetstone, etc), you do not have to list it on your character sheet. They are only for flavor, so I'm not concerned with keeping track with them. Just keep it believable!

Other stuff:

(Some of this might be common knowledge, but it is included for newcomers to PbP and bears repeating.)

When posting, please note in-character text with either bold script or whatever color you wish (except red).

If you include die rolls, tables, or other game mechanic-y type information in your game post, please hide them behind a spoiler button. If you use the dice thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14414139#post14414139), link to your roll within your post.

Please post your character sheet (Mythweavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetindex.php) seems to be the popular choice) in this thread once it is completed. I will add it to this post for ease of reference.

If you'd like some help spinning things for Eberron, ask! I'll be more than happy to help with some ideas.

Have fun and don't be a jerk! :smallbiggrin:

Other handy links:

IC Thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266066)
Dice Thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14414139#post14414139)

Guide to PbP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257924)
Forum Dice Roller (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100917)

Character Sheets:

Kra-Jak (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=489422)
Aluatra Dawnsblood (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=489700)
Hallina Dell (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=489808)
Eoli (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=487180)

Nimrod
2012-12-27, 10:51 PM
Okay! rypt, Gorgon_Heap, Don_Discovery, and Starbin will be joining us for a go at this adventure.

That means that the party so far consists of an elven inquisitor/magus, a human melee-type, a shifter cleric, and a shifter ranger/monk. My two friends have claimed an inquisitor and a rogue, but the holidays have kept them from popping in and feeding me the rest of the details. Hopefully we can get them locked in soon.

In the meantime, you guys can finalize your character sheets and make your introductions!

And as always, if you have any questions, just ask. Looking forward to gaming with all of you!

Starbin
2012-12-28, 12:18 AM
Introducing Kra-jak (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=489422) Seeker of the Path of the Serpent.

Description: Tall (for a shifter), lean, and well-muscled, Kra-jak strikes an imposing figure. He wears an open leather vest, loose pants, and a short robe that speaks of function over form. He carries a near-empty pack that holds almost all his worldly possessions, and walks with a well-crafted longspear as a staff. His black hair is shaved on the sides, and pulled back into a short tail. His blue eyes give the look of a wolfish predator, but his demeanor speaks of one detached from the world around him. His voice is like gravel, but unusually quiet for someone of his size. His motions seem restrained and precise - as if every step is measured, with no energy wasted. In battle, this changes,as his movements become a fluid dance of violence - a dance that seems to be on the verge of bursting into chaos.

And occasionally, when the beast rises, it does.

Personality: Kra-jak is a quiet man. He speaks with a lack of feeling that is disturbing. He seems to measure everything - his actions, his words, perhaps even his thoughts. He rarely will display emotion of his own volition. It seems that the more he is tested, the more detached he becomes. While he seems to be a strange man who prefers the quiet of a solitary life versus living with others, he almost forces himself into situations that require close contact. And although his interaction is usually distant, there is a bond between he and his comrades that tells of a man willing to do anything to help his friends, no matter the price.

Background: Kra-jak's breath came out in small clouds of steam as he huffed from exertion. Around him, the circle of observers broke into a cacophony of roars and shouts that turned into a long,drawn out howl ... rage and triumph, mourning and gloating indistinguishable from one another. The moment dragged for an eternity as Kra-jak stood crouched on his haunches, muscles still clenched from the battle moments before.

The scene became surreal, however, as the howl faded into silence, replaced by the twittering of birds and small woodland animals. A calm settled over the impromptu arena, as Kra-jak stared at his foe. The flow of blood from a torn throat had subsided, darkening even as he watched. The body appeared to be cooling in the evening chill, with the slightest of stiffeningannouncing the onset of final death. And for one long, delicious moment, Kra-jak felt a single tear roll down his cheek, the salt mingling with the metallic taste of death in his mouth. As this moment of quiet enveloped him, Kra-jak felt his body return to normal.

Then, came the sudden realization that this was all an illusion - such peace was impossible within the Demon Wastes. The howl shattered the silence and he felt arms slapping his shoulders and back in congratulations from his few supporters and growing arse-kissers. No matter that his actions had taken one of his own from the tribe - all that mattered was he was now heir apparent in both name and action, with a life of violence and destruction waiting for him to grasp it. Such was the price of being a chieftain's get in one Carrion Tribes. Such was the way of the servants of the Moon Reavers.

Since his earliest memory, the ways of his people had been foreign. A motley crew of shifters, were-ragers, the Red Fangs had long served the night hags as killers and assassins who reveled in the loss of control and the release of violence upon their foes. His life had been savage and hard, constantly under scrutiny as the chieftain's eldest. But Kra-jak always felt at odds with his shape-changing brethren, frightened and disturbed at the loss of control. This emotional rift was compounded by his failure in showy displays of strength and power, and ultimately led to a perception that he was weak, and thus ill-suited to take his father's mantle as was appropriate for the eldest.

While there was little love between the young of the pack, there was a bond that tied them together. Over time, this bond would wax and wane, as each pup grew to adulthood and sought his or her place in the tribe. Between Kra-jak and his brother Dro-chek, those bonds of brotherhood disappeared over the years, turning from fierce loyalty, to marked indifference and finally into outright disdain.

In a culture that valued power over finesse, strength over speed, Kra-jak's ability was often questioned, albeit out of earshot. However, over time, even the youth of his pack began to question his 'right' to rule. Kra-jak was not blind to his people's lack of trust, but perhaps he was too naive in assuming he would prove worthy of their loyalty one day. That day came when his brother Dro-chek embarrassed him in public. After a successful foray against the Plaguebearers, Dro-chek was still high on bloodlust, bragging about his prowess over even that of his 'unworthy brother.' Dro-chek's presumption went to far when during the post-battle orgy, he began to take pleasure in a female Kra-jak had claimed, grunting promises of ruling the tribe at his side as the true successor to his father's clan. In the silence that followed his brazen actions, Dro-chek turned to find Kra-jak standing behind him, quivering in a barely contained rage. Undaunted, Dro-chek laughed, snidely telling his brother to nose about some weaker male's arse else he get hurt. With a roar, Kra-jak was on his brother. In a release that none had seen before, the older brother ripped out Dro-chek's throat before the young sibling could move and before anyone else could react.

The tribe applauded his actions as his right, privilege, and duty; even his father toasted the kill with a smile ... a smile!. Kra-jak was simply sickened. Here, his nightmares of losing control were realized and his brother, ass that he was, was dead because of it. How long before he killed his woman, or friend? How long before he might be standing over his own children, throttle by his very hands? Unable to live amidst such evil lawlessness, he left without a word, abandoning, nay FLEEING his home, his family and his life.

But the Demon Wastes do not give up there own so easily. He was left with the Urge, but lost the curse of full lycanthropy that came with it. Instead, he was left with the touch of the wildhunt, a trait that actually added him more than razor claws and long tusks ever would. It took many months to fight his way clear of the Carrion Tribes and cross the Icehorns, but with his gift he managed to stumble free from the wilderness into the community of Wolf's Paw. In the border town, he found shelter and aid from his own kind, which was a kindness he had never been privy to before.

For all the kindess of the shifters there, however, he would have kept running - running from his life, his crimes, himself ... but something else kept him. An old human, who lived on the outskirts of town in a small cabin, who had taken a liking to the outcast. A former solider, the human offered a confused Kra-jak an alternative path to the wild abandon and pent up rage that had plagued the shifter since his escape. He showed him a path of discipline and order, were he could control his emotions, and not be controlled by them; where his abilities could be used by conscious thought, rather than emotional adrenaline rushes. He introduced him to the teachings of a brotherhood, long since gone from these lands, but who's lessons could be found by those with the will, courage and patience to search.

It started with taking the first step on the path of the Snake, learning the way of the foot, fist and spear ... and the mind and body. For eight seasons, the man who called himself Raben taught Kra-jak what he knew, taking care of the shifter as a father would a son. But in their second winter, the old man passed, leaving Kra-jak to search for clues about the mysterious Brotherhood of the Serpent. After laying his mentor to rest, Kra-jak gathered his few items, headed for the only clue he had - a single piece of paper with the word Sharn on it.

I tend to use colors for "Speaking" "Whispering" Thinking

A couple of questions about feats - a) Can you modify any of the shifter feats for use in Pathfinder, and b) is there a feat I can take to treat a different weapon as a monk weapon (like Serpent Strike)?

Thanks, and I look forward to the game!

Gorgon_Heap
2012-12-28, 11:06 AM
Howdy.

I've got a wicked cold and I'm at work, but my PC is about halfway done. I'll try to get it posted tonight or tomorrow.

Excited to get into some Eberron.

Nimrod
2012-12-28, 12:15 PM
A couple of questions about feats - a) Can you modify any of the shifter feats for use in Pathfinder, and b) is there a feat I can take to treat a different weapon as a monk weapon (like Serpent Strike)?

Which ones do you have in mind? I looked at the shifter feats listed in Races of Eberron and nothing really jumped out at me that needed modification.

As far as weapons, I will typically allow players to apply their weapon focus feats to similar weapons (i.e. swords rather than longswords) so I would allow you to use the Serpent Strike ability with other hafted piercing weapons and apply your focus bonuses to each. Exotic weapons would be an exception.

There is an alternative feat in Secrets of Sarlona called the Pole Master, which allows multiple hafted reach weapons (glaive, longspear, ranseur, and the Talenta sharrash) to be used as monk weapons. I would allow you to use any of those without taking individual focus feats for each.

Not sure if that answers your question...


Excited to get into some Eberron.

Me, too! This adventure looks really awesome. I've already begun working on an introductory post to set the stage and introduce everyone.

As I mentioned, I planned on using the Digger's Union as a reason for everyone to be working together. They're an adventurers guild (of sorts) affiliated with Morgrave University. They don't pay much and don't treat their members as well as some other organizations, but something is better than nothing. Even if your only jobs so far have been delivering packages and making runs for the curators, it puts food on the table.

Hence, why you guys might be interested in taking on other jobs... :smallwink:

Don_Discovery
2012-12-28, 03:56 PM
How are you gentlemen !! A pleasure to meet you, I am the Don Discovery, you may call me Don. I'll be playing the wonderful Aluatra Dawnsblood (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=489700). From now until we start I'll be tweaking her personality until I can properly convey her Voice all the time.

rypt
2012-12-29, 05:07 PM
Hello everybody!

Here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=487180) is my work-in-progress sheet for Eoli. Still need to pick a second trait and finish up his more mundane equipment purchases.

Nimrod
2012-12-29, 05:14 PM
Excellent! I'll drop a bug in the ears of the last two and see if they've been swallowed up by the holidays.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-12-30, 09:40 AM
So are we actually going to have an Eberron party without either a 'forged or a Dragonmarked?

Or are these two mystery players going to fill us in? Because that would be kind of a first.

Nimrod
2012-12-30, 11:48 PM
Yeah, that is kind of strange... but I don't believe I've ever had a shifter character in any of my games, let alone two. :smallsmile:

I don't even know if they're still on board. I did talk to another friend that I've PbP'ed with for years and he might be interested in joining. Regardless, I'm looking to get this thing moving soon! :smallbiggrin:

Nimrod
2012-12-31, 02:04 PM
And we're up! The IC thread can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14454280#post14454280). I'll include links to our threads in my signature for ease of use, as well.

I'll be looking over your sheets one last time to make sure that everything is in order tonight. In the meantime, post as you can. I don't expect a lot to be done over the next few days with New Year's Day and all, so no hurry. I just wanted to set the stage and get things ready.

I'll also try to confirm with the final few players whether they will be joining us or not.

Happy New Year, all! Looking forward to the game!

Starbin
2012-12-31, 02:23 PM
I need to fix one feat and check on the prereqs for the one you mentioned dealing with reach weapons-hard to do on a cell :smallbiggrin:

Gorgon_Heap
2012-12-31, 02:28 PM
Yay! Happy New Year.

And yeah, I wasn't seeing what you mean in noting the +1 sp or HP/level for favored class ... Do humans count all classes for that or no classes or what-the-hey?

Nimrod
2012-12-31, 02:46 PM
Characters can pick one class for their favored class, regardless of race. It's your choice!

And I added a House Rules tab to the first post here. I'll modify it and add to it as we go. I typically don't have a lot of house rules, though. I like to keep things simple.

As far as buying equipment and such, I suppose I should have mentioned this but it's been a few months since I've started a game! I'm not a stickler for things like paper, wax, perfume, tobacco, or any item of clothing that doesn't have a mechanic attached to it and costs less than 1 gp. I don't expect you to list stuff like that on your character sheet. I don't want a barbarian pulling out paper and inks to write his memoirs or anything like that, nor should a wizard have a whetstone to sharpen up an axe blade, though. If your barbarian has actively been trying to educate himself, or if your wizard has been taking up a career in creating magical weapons, it might be okay... just keep it believable.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-01, 11:44 AM
Before I post, am I to take it the PCs already know each other and are working together? Is that what's going on here? We're already on a job?

Nimrod
2013-01-01, 01:45 PM
Yep, you know each other if only by name and reputation. I leave it up to you as to how long you've been with the Digger's Union and all of that, but it isn't important to this particular adventure. It's just a hook to get you all in the same place and on the same team.

rypt
2013-01-01, 11:51 PM
I've updated Eoli's equipment, mostly with additional weapons and ammunition options. There's more I would like to have purchased, but with armor taking up ~2/3rds of his encumbrance limit, my options are pretty restricted.

I also decided to go with the Without a Past trait, picking Linguistics as Eoli's class skill. Document forgery certainly fits with his background, although it feels like a bit of a gamble mechanically speaking. I figure if there were ever a setting where a trait like this could pay off though, Eberron would be the one.

I should have an IC post up sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening.

And I hope everybody had a Happy New Year!

EDIT: Roughly how far ahead of us is the masked figure?

Nimrod
2013-01-02, 05:45 AM
I'll say 30 feet. For every skill check you pass (as he attempts to slow you down) you'll gain 10' on him. If everyone fails, he'll gain ground.

Nimrod
2013-01-02, 10:29 AM
Awesome post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14462317&postcount=3), GH! :smallbiggrin:

Starbin
2013-01-02, 02:52 PM
I would like to write a nice post, but it sucks to type from a cell. I'm still around and will be chasing along with the others. Happy New Year!

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-02, 08:51 PM
So ... c'mon folks. Join the fun.

Nimrod, are we going to expect additional players if your pals are MIA?

Nimrod
2013-01-02, 09:18 PM
Unless one of you have a personal recommendation for someone, I'll probably just run this with you four. If they don't magically appear, that is. I'm optimistic that no one will drop out. :smallsmile:

if there's a hole in the team dynamic, you can get a hireling... but the group looks fairly capable to me. I'll leave it up to you guys.

rypt
2013-01-02, 09:36 PM
Assuming we don't run into any problems in terms of party capabilities, I would personally prefer to stick with four. I've found that play-by-post campaigns tend to run smoother with fewer players.

Nimrod
2013-01-03, 02:20 PM
I'll give the others until the weekend to respond before I push on. I know we're coming off the holidays so it might take a few days to get caught back up on work and life.

I'm all for a casual pace, but I don't want things to drag.

Starbin
2013-01-05, 04:56 AM
Forgot HPs - [roll0]

Nimrod
2013-01-06, 11:10 PM
Busy weekend! I'll get a post up and answer questions in the morning.

Nimrod
2013-01-08, 11:01 AM
Busy day yesterday, too! :smallbiggrin: The wife and I are in the process of buying a house, so we were out all evening throwing our money at furniture to fill it up, hehe...

But a post is now up! I haven't heard anything else from the other two so you four are it, but I think we'll do just fine. I'll discretely roll for perception checks vs the traps just to be fair, since you don't have a rogue.

I hope to get in at least two updates this week, so I won't wait as long as I did last week... which was mostly due to the holidays. Great first round of posts, though! You guys are PbP champs. :smallsmile:

rypt
2013-01-08, 01:37 PM
The dice gods are angry today...

How would Eoli's Quick Runner's Shirt (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/shirt-quick-runners) work in this situation? Can he use it to regain some ground?

EDIT: Just to be clear, Eoli failed both climb checks, so he would be on his butt in the alley.

Don_Discovery
2013-01-08, 02:46 PM
Any chance I could cast Forbid Action on the murderer and forbid him from moving?

Nimrod
2013-01-09, 10:09 PM
@rypt - Yep, another move action would give you another attempt at climbing the spout, though this time without the attack against you.

@Don - Yep!

Also, remember that Hero Points can be used to mitigate bad rolls (among other things)! Declaring the use of one before a d20 roll guarantees a +8 bonus while after the role grants a +4 bonus. This is just an introduction encounter, so I don't mind reminding... but during important encounters, I'll bite my tongue.

They're a bit more powerful than Action Points and can really pull you out of a tight spot if you need them.

Nimrod
2013-01-10, 11:05 PM
Since you guys have all rolled, I can update with the results of the next round of the chase. I'll give those of you who haven't done so a few more hours, though, to get in another post if you want.

We'll be getting to the meat of the adventure soon! :smallwink:

rypt
2013-01-10, 11:23 PM
Eek, sorry! I'll try to sneak my post in when I get home tonight.

My job operates on a biweekly system, so towards the end of every other week, things get a little crazy for me.

Nimrod
2013-01-11, 02:15 PM
No problem. I got a PM from Don about some mechanics stuff. I'll update as soon as I see what his actions for the round are.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-12, 12:01 AM
I suggest we determine Initiative before we post our first combat posts or we won't know how our actions are affected by the actions of others.

Maybe the DM can roll the init rolls himself and give us the order?

Starbin
2013-01-12, 12:12 AM
Well we can at least roll here for now ...

Kra-jak initiative check: [roll0]

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-12, 12:18 AM
Ok.

[roll0]

Wow. Go figure.

rypt
2013-01-12, 03:23 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

EDIT: Given that Eoli won't be acting first in combat, would it be permissible for me to post some brief dialogue in the moments before the fight begins in earnest?

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-12, 03:18 PM
Talking briefly is a free action. You might want to get it out fast before I kill this guy. :smallbiggrin:

Nimrod
2013-01-12, 05:00 PM
I kind of handle initiative on the fly. I don't have any set rules, really... PbP complicates things, so I just do whatever works. I don't want anyone waiting on the person with the highest initiative to post, so go ahead and post when you're ready. I'll use a combination of posting order and the rolls to determine how events unfold. If the person with the low initiative is concerned about what they others might do, just drop a post in-character or here to let the others know.

On that note, as GH said, speech is a free action! Just keep in mind that a round only lasts around 10 seconds.

Nimrod
2013-01-12, 07:17 PM
I'm enjoying you guys' posts! The masked figure uses a free action to reveal a little more while we wait on the others. :smallwink:

Add: Don, since the chase is over, Aluatra may take 10 to climb the gutter. No need to roll again!

Don_Discovery
2013-01-12, 10:29 PM
Init [roll0]

Also awesome! I might not actually need to do anything else this combat since I think it'll take my first turn anyway to just make it up to the rest of you guys.

Edit: Actually I think I'll stay down here and spend each of my turns casting Forbid action to keep him from moving.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-14, 11:11 AM
That's a fantastic idea.

rypt
2013-01-14, 02:44 PM
So Shocking Grasp (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/shocking-grasp) grants a +3 bonus to attack rolls vs. opponents wearing metal armor or wielding metal weapons. Does this bonus apply when the spell is delivered via the Magus' Spellstrike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus#TOC-Spellstrike-Su-) ability?

Starbin
2013-01-14, 03:26 PM
It should apply ... don't know why that is it wouldn't (:smallredface:) ...

Nimrod
2013-01-14, 05:00 PM
Yep, it will apply.

And to expound... I believe the intent is that if you use your weapon, however, it will have to be against his normal AC... not the touch AC. For my personal spin, I suppose you can choose to make a touch attack with your weapon, but it wouldn't do weapon damage since you're just looking to make contact. There are some craaaazy discussions about this on the paizo forums. I wonder how many tables have been flipped by this exact scenario. I also wonder if they know that it's a game.

Are you guys the types that like to see enemy AC's and such up front so you know whether you hit or not? Or are you fine with leaving it up in the air for me to confirm during the recap? Either way, I suppose it all works out in the end. If I grant a bonus for a well-written attack/near miss, I'll just change it to a hit in the recap.

At any rate, the murderous, thieving bugger's AC is 19.

Add: Touch AC is 14.

Add Add: That confirmation was so close... I'll give you that crit! :smallwink:

rypt
2013-01-14, 05:05 PM
Yep, it will apply.

And to expound... I believe the intent is that if you use your weapon, however, it will have to be against his normal AC... not the touch AC. For my personal spin, I suppose you can choose to make a touch attack with your weapon, but it wouldn't do weapon damage since you're just looking to make contact. There are some craaaazy discussions about this on the paizo forums. I wonder how many tables have been flipped by this exact scenario. I also wonder if they know that it's a game.
Understood. We're on the same page with respect to touch attacks vs. normal melee attacks.


Are you guys the types that like to see enemy AC's and such up front so you know whether you hit or not? Or are you fine with leaving it up in the air for me to confirm during the recap? Either way, I suppose it all works out in the end. If I grant a bonus for a well-written attack/near miss, I'll just change it to a hit in the recap.

At any rate, the murderous, thieving bugger's AC is 19.
I don't really mind either way. I try to leave my post open-ended if I'm not sure whether or not an attack will hit. In this case, I was fairly confident that Eoli had rolled well enough.

Nimrod
2013-01-14, 05:08 PM
Indeed!

Every PbP game I've ever run, there always seems to be a crit in the first encounter. This one might be the first where it wasn't confirmed, but it was so close, I'll give it to you.

Edit: Or am I still getting used to this dice roller? I see 19 and think it rolled a 19 since it doesn't show the math. Bear with me, folks. :smallsigh:

Either way, you lit him up!

Starbin
2013-01-14, 05:29 PM
Yeah, unless that's a really nice weapon (i.e., crits on a 12-20), the total was 19 (since Eoli's running with a nice +7 to attack).

As for AC and such, feel free to keep it a mystery if you like ... or put it down for ease of posting - I've seen both and am okay with either one. One way I've seen that might be an option - keep the AC hidden for singular / special opponents, and put the AC (and even HP) down for minions.

Also, I'd just as soon have you roll initiative for us, or tell us it'll be based on group inits. My only concern with initiative based on posting is that it down plays initiative, and if you used a feat/trait to raise it you're kinda wasting it. Also, it may be an issue for catching folks flat-footed.

Just some thougts ...

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-14, 09:13 PM
I don't really care how you decide to do NPCs. I've used both methods as a DM myself. Sometimes you want your PCs to know they're badass and can slaughter mooks at will. Sometimes you want them to realize things are serious and they don't ever really know what their enemies are capable of - during a simple run-in with orcs I once gave them all varying Warrior levels just to make the PCs sweat.

As for initiative I agree with Starbin, and that's kida the point I was trying to make earlier. If you do it it's one less thing for us to argue or worry about, and not being certain kinda complicates the storytelling in our own posts.

It's also one less post we each have to make before combat begins, which keeps things moving.

Nimrod
2013-01-15, 01:02 AM
Okay. I know some folks like to roll their own dice when they can. I'll roll initiatives for everyone when combat begins since there are no objections.

I don't know if I've mentioned it, either... since everything just starts sounding redundant after running a dozen or so games, hehe... but I'll roll skill checks instead of waiting, too, if it will help the group.

Nimrod
2013-01-15, 07:44 PM
That was a quick finish! Good work. :smallbiggrin:

Starbin
2013-01-18, 03:23 PM
Just for my visualization, I get the impression that two of us are on the ground, hearing the screams and such from ahead. The other two are still on the roof (since Eoli is apparently ready to cut the thief's throat after interrogating him).

As a side note, I perhaps underestimated the direction the team would take - which Kra-jak is not a humanitarian, I figured he'd want an awareness of what was causing the scream. He will react to what seems to be an attack under the cover of the parade, seeing it as an attack on the city (wild and uncontrolled as it may be). If we are to be a more mercenary bunch, then perhaps I will adjust his perception and willingness to step forward in these situations. :smallsmile:

All-in-all, it's been fun so far!

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-18, 03:29 PM
I got the impression there was some crime going on somewhere in the neighborhood - just another day in Sharn - and only Kra-jack wanted to look into it.

And Dell's far from heartless, but we're not cops and we have a mission to finish - I reckon her priorities take some getting used to. Let's say she's pragmatic on mission time.

But we were all ready to move on and so the DM implied we're not gathering on the street.

Yes? No?

rypt
2013-01-18, 03:38 PM
Just for my visualization, I get the impression that two of us are on the ground, hearing the screams and such from ahead. The other two are still on the roof (since Eoli is apparently ready to cut the thief's throat after interrogating him).

Unless someone was planning to intercede, Eoli wasn't going to be questioning the thief before putting him out of his misery. Not that Eoli was particularly interested in the thief's motives in the first place, but their brief exchange in goblin was answer enough for him. Whatever Matron Martra has gotten herself mixed up in isn't his concern. He just wants to get the job done and collect his fee. Not to mention the fact that he has no desire to be stuck with some goblin artifact (or whatever it is) when they come looking for it again.

Starbin
2013-01-18, 03:45 PM
Well, I would argue that our mission didn't have a time constraint (package retrieval only), so the concept of 'Oh, it's just a crime ... welcome to Sharn!" seems a bit cold to me (just a personal opinion). However, it may be a product of a more cosmopolitan character (i.e., a person from New York or Paris may react very differently than a guy from a small farm town), so no worries there.

I got the impression Nimrod had two of us on the ground (both shifters) while Eoli and Dell were finishing up with the thief - we got the pause so that we didn't go running off without y'all. I guess the real question is if both of your characters simply shrug this off as part of the festival and head back to our employer, or you jump down and want to investigate. Kra-jak plans on checking it out (since it sounds like a lot more than a simple ruckus), but I didn't want to get too far out in front of y'all.

(apologies if we're in violent agreement, or I'm misunderstanding your points ... board games come with their own version of fog and friction!)

Starbin
2013-01-18, 03:47 PM
Unless someone was planning to intercede, Eoli wasn't going to be questioning the thief before putting him out of his misery. Not that Eoli was particularly interested in the thief's motives in the first place, but their brief exchange in goblin was answer enough for him. Whatever Matron Martra has gotten herself mixed up in isn't his concern concern. He just wants to get the job done and collect his fee. Not to mention the fact that he has no desire to be stuck with some goblin artifact (or whatever it is) when they come looking for it again.

Yeah, I got the impression you were giving us a chance to interrogate ... I was thinking that Dell might (since the two others of us ended up on the ground), but an elf's gotta do what an elf's gotta do! :smallsmile:

Nimrod
2013-01-18, 03:56 PM
...then perhaps I will adjust his perception and willingness to step forward in these situations.

Ah, you're a good sport! :smallbiggrin:

And you are correct. Although Eoli and Dell were still on the balcony/villa in my last update, you are all still in the same immediate vicinity and can communicate easily. Although you may have different views of the street, you see the same thing... people rushing toward you from some disaster in the next intersection. This is actually the real hook of the adventure. Everything before this was just to set the stage... which is just another day in Sharn. :smallwink:


If we are to be a more mercenary bunch...
He just wants to get the job done and collect his fee.
And Dell's far from heartless, but we're not cops and we have a mission to finish...

This is where you guys can play things out as you wish! Your venture captain, Matron Marta, might treat you like mercenaries but I figured you guys are just trying to make a living and get your lives in order in the wake of the Last War. I used the Digger's Union as a hook to get you together, but your characters may not be pleased with risking life and limb just to secure a few relics for Morgrave scholars to study. If pay isn't an issue, you might feel like thugs. Was the thief wrong for stealing back what he perceived to belong to his people? Or was Morgrave wrong for taking it in the first place?

None of that is really important within the context of the adventure, but one of the things I love most about Eberron is its history (and intrigue), so I try to work it in. :smallwink: If this moral dilemma leads you to seek more ethical employment (or at least a job that pays better) elsewhere, then that will put you on the path of this adventure.

It's up to you as to whether you want to investigate the fracas down the street. You could look at this a few ways. Even if you aren't one to go out of your way to help others, the Dragonmarked Houses are stinking rich. If you could help House Medani (as Eoli identified the horns), you might could retire from this silly adventuring business a lot sooner.

Nimrod
2013-01-18, 04:02 PM
I guess the real question is if both of your characters simply shrug this off as part of the festival and head back to our employer, or you jump down and want to investigate. Kra-jak plans on checking it out...

That's what I wanted to verify before I threw you into the next bit! As soon as I get what you all want to do, I'll update. I don't want to railroad any of you into anything. I want you to dictate how it unfolds.

Add: How to Keep the Party Together (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0139.html) :smallamused:

Starbin
2013-01-18, 04:12 PM
Well, let me do my part and at least notify the others that something is going on! :smallbiggrin:

Nimrod
2013-01-18, 04:20 PM
PM sent! :smallsmile:

rypt
2013-01-18, 04:22 PM
Is there any reasonable way to get a view of the commotion from the roof we're on? Or maybe an adjacent one if the buildings are close enough to one another?

Nimrod
2013-01-18, 04:27 PM
Sure, you could jump from the balcony where you are onto the top of a fruit-stand or an awning across the street... swing across one of the lines from which the lanterns are hanging... I'll let you have fun with the execution, but you could get a better view.

Sending another PM with the info.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-18, 05:09 PM
Oh, yeah. Hey, I'm all about what's going on. But my PC is another matter.

She still calls herself Sgt. Dell - she's a career soldier, not an investigator or officer or adventurer, and she's not in the best of moods. Her sole interest at the moment is to earn some gold, and the faster the better.

As we all just met, the only reason she doesn't just leave and finish this business is military loyalty she feels to the squad - even if some of you are already getting on her nerves. :)

She'll going along, but it'll take some doing for her to find some motivation to really throw herself into this.

Nimrod
2013-01-18, 11:35 PM
Since Don is MIA, and two of you have elected to check out whats going on, I went ahead and updated with what's going on at the intersection. I tried to hit all of the wickets, but if you have questions between PMs and the latest update, I'll do my best to answer. The scene is kind of crazy, as the battle map suggests!

Edit: Again, this is just to update you on what's going on. It's still up to you whether you get involved or not.

Starbin
2013-01-19, 12:29 AM
I like it! Very nice map, and quite the crazy situation. Kra-jak will end up involved ... here's hoping he survives!

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-21, 03:44 PM
I'm last in initiative and would like to see what others are going to do first - because I don't intend to fight these guys in front of us unless they attack me first.

rypt
2013-01-21, 03:47 PM
I should have my post up shortly, but it won't be Eoli attacking anything. Not yet, at least.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-22, 08:33 PM
Yeah - is Dell on the street or not? She's not the "swinging into action" sort so much as "run in and smash things" sort. I just want to know if I need to make ground before I can make further actions.

Nimrod
2013-01-22, 09:21 PM
She was on the balcony/villa, but I won't penalize her for moving down to the street. Hop down on top of a fruit-stand, nearby wagon, fleeing entertainer... it's yours to craft up.

Nimrod
2013-01-24, 11:19 PM
On to round two!

I've got a big assignment for school coming up... and my wife and I just bought a house, so we'll be moving in mid-Feb. Lots of packing and writing to do, so don't panic if I don't log in for a day or two. :smallwink:

I don't think I'll have any long delays, though! Whenever I get that e-mail notification that there's a post, I check in to read it right away. :smallbiggrin:

rypt
2013-01-25, 03:19 AM
I'm under my biweekly crunch at the moment. Should have a post up on Saturday.

EDIT: The map still displays Eoli in the alleyway instead of on the roof?

Nimrod
2013-01-28, 02:56 PM
The map doesn't perfectly represent my depiction of the terrain and the scene (and visa versa), but consider that you're free of the alley ways and into the main streets again. The map is pretty spartan, but it's what was in the module, so I kept it. It would take me several hours to create a new one... but it took me a few minutes to scan that one in and edit it.

If you'd like Eoli to run along the tops of fruit stands, wagons, and awnings that line the streets of the Bazaar (but are not represented on the map), that's fine (possibly offering the positioning and higher ground that you seek?), but consider that the gray area is an impassable tower wall. Feel free to continue taking liberties with the terrain, though. You've all been doing a great job of using what would be readily available and making some swashbuckling scenes!

I'm eyeballs deep in writing this final paper. I've got a few deadlines this week, but I'll try to get an update in soon to keep the action from dragging too much.

Nimrod
2013-01-28, 03:10 PM
@GH - Dell might not have LOS, but if I put it on the map, your character is aware of it. After your post, give me a square that you'd like her to move to. I didn't put Dell in the intersection last update because I didn't want to assume that she would just rush into the thick of fleeing revelers and goblins... especially since you voiced her hesitation at getting involved.

Unless specified, I'll typically keep it conservative. For the fuzziness, take another square or two in movement if you need it to act on something.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-28, 03:26 PM
Ok, no sweat. I didn't know where she might end up because I didn't know how much of her move was used coming down the wall.

Her intent, knowing that ettin is there hurting bystandars, is to go right in and kill it. :smallsmile: I needed LOS to make a charge.

Starbin
2013-01-28, 03:48 PM
Hopefully charge is a relative term ... Since it seems to be large, you may want to beware the reach. Or at least be aware :smallsmile:

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-28, 05:12 PM
... You make an excellent point. Why, I would never even consider running into melee at an opponent with reach. No, no. That would just be silly.

stupid rules

rypt
2013-01-28, 05:13 PM
Actually, if you can communicate to Eoli your intention to charge, he can cast Litany of Sloth (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/l/litany-of-sloth) to deny the ettin any attacks of opportunity for a round.

Starbin
2013-01-28, 05:18 PM
Okay, so I have this image in my head. It's Dell, mid-leap, with her hammer drawn back, towards an unaware ettin. I'm not saying you should do that (or even could, within the rules), but it's an image that gives me shivers!

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-28, 05:26 PM
Crumbs, I posted. I have no idea what your character can do, rypt.

Maybe if you can communicate that to me somehow in the round the DM'll let it work, becasue general bad-assery aside, I'm really in favor of doing what Starbin said for total bad-assery.

rypt
2013-01-28, 06:04 PM
Crumbs, I posted. I have no idea what your character can do, rypt.

Maybe if you can communicate that to me somehow in the round the DM'll let it work, becasue general bad-assery aside, I'm really in favor of doing what Starbin said for total bad-assery.

No problem. Eoli will casting it next round for his own good anyway.

Nimrod
2013-01-28, 06:32 PM
I've been known to reward bad-assery!

rypt
2013-01-29, 04:36 PM
In the interest of bad-assery, I just wanted to make sure everyone is aware of all the things that can get be done with Hero Points beyond adding to rolls:

Act Out of Turn: You can spend a hero point to take your turn immediately. Treat this as a readied action, moving your initiative to just before the currently acting creature. You may only take a move or a standard action on this turn.

Bonus: If used before a roll is made, a hero point grants you a +8 luck bonus to any one d20 roll. If used after a roll is made, this bonus is reduced to +4. You can use a hero point to grant this bonus to another character, as long as you are in the same location and your character can reasonably affect the outcome of the roll (such as distracting a monster, shouting words of encouragement, or otherwise aiding another with the check). Hero Points spent to aid another character grant only half the listed bonus (+4 before the roll, +2 after the roll).

Extra Action: You can spend a hero point on your turn to gain an additional standard or move action this turn.

Inspiration: If you feel stuck at one point in the adventure, you can spend a hero point and petition the GM for a hint about what to do next. If the GM feels that there is no information to be gained, the hero point is not spent.

Recall: You can spend a hero point to recall a spell you have already cast or to gain another use of a special ability that is otherwise limited. This should only be used on spells and abilities possessed by your character that recharge on a daily basis.

Reroll: You may spend a hero point to reroll any one d20 roll you just made. You must take the results of the second roll, even if it is worse.

Special: You can petition the GM to allow a hero point to be used to attempt nearly anything that would normally be almost impossible. Such uses are not guaranteed and should be considered carefully by the GM. Possibilities include casting a single spell that is one level higher than you could normally cast (or a 1st-level spell if you are not a spellcaster), making an attack that blinds a foe or bypasses its damage reduction entirely, or attempting to use Diplomacy to convince a raging dragon to give up its attack. Regardless of the desired action, the attempt should be accompanied by a difficult check or penalty on the attack roll. No additional hero points may be spent on such an attempt, either by the character or her allies.

Cheat Death: A character can spend 2 hero points to cheat death. How this plays out is up to the GM, but generally the character is left alive, with negative hit points but stable. For example, a character is about to be slain by a critical hit from an arrow. If the character spends 2 hero points, the GM decides that the arrow pierced the character’s holy symbol, reducing the damage enough to prevent him from being killed, and that he made his stabilization roll at the end of his turn. Cheating death is the only way for a character to spend more than 1 hero point in a turn. The character can spend hero points in this way to prevent the death of a familiar, animal companion, eidolon, or special mount, but not another character or NPC.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-01-30, 12:57 PM
You know, I had completely forgotten all of that. Thank you sonny, you're a life saver.

Nimrod
2013-01-31, 09:31 PM
Okay! Apologies for the delay, but I just submitted the first dozen pages of my capstone project. Woo! Now I can screw around online.

I'll get a post up tonight! Thanks for being patient. :)

Starbin
2013-01-31, 10:09 PM
No worries ... glad to hear you earned some chill time!

Nimrod
2013-02-01, 09:26 PM
By tonight, I meant tomorrow night. :smallwink: After I updated the map, I was ready to snooze.

I hope to have this paper whooped soon so I can get my evenings back.

ADD: Aluatra will move to patch you guys up next round!

rypt
2013-02-01, 09:51 PM
This is probably my fault for not adjusting Eoli's sheet to account for the dead goblin, but if Eoli received a +2 cover bonus to AC, his total AC would actually have been 21 (including the +2 profane bonus from his Spellkiller (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/inquisitions/spellkiller-inquisition) effect), which would have made an attack of 19 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14635951&postcount=21) a miss.

Nimrod
2013-02-01, 11:12 PM
Right you are!! I'll fix that for yas.

rypt
2013-02-02, 02:19 AM
Right you are!! I'll fix that for yas.
Thank you, sir!


The screaming from within the shop stops only to be picked up by others huddling within another storefront as he steps forward to engage the Cyran sergeant!
Gah. I completely failed to register/retain the fact that Hallina was from Cyre. Is this something Eoli would know?

Nimrod
2013-02-02, 08:32 AM
I'd say yes... but I leave it to you guys. She doesn't seem the type for deceit and subterfuge.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-02-02, 11:50 AM
I figured we didn't know each other that well but there are, I'm sure, a number of unspecified indications that would make it likely Cyrans would recognize each other.

Probably accent, though it's one of the few things never really discussed in the sourcebooks or novels. I did also craft her appearance to reflect how Cyrans (humans, at any rate) are typically thought of, and I'm sure her speech is filled with common Cyran collequalisms, though mostly she uses military jargon.

The game is just too new for me to have gotten the chance to use it.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-02-02, 12:34 PM
Blërg!!!!!!

Using a point to reroll my attack. I got a 2 on my attack, so if I do worse this time ...

[roll0]

rypt
2013-02-02, 03:09 PM
I'm considering using an action point to recover Shocking Grasp. Is the ettin wearing/holding anything metallic that would earn Eoli the +3 attack bonus?


I figured we didn't know each other that well but there are, I'm sure, a number of unspecified indications that would make it likely Cyrans would recognize each other.

Probably accent, though it's one of the few things never really discussed in the sourcebooks or novels. I did also craft her appearance to reflect how Cyrans (humans, at any rate) are typically thought of, and I'm sure her speech is filled with common Cyran collequalisms, though mostly she uses military jargon.

The game is just too new for me to have gotten the chance to use it.

This all seems reasonable enough to me. Eoli lives in High Walls, and his robes are accented with Cyran colors, so he's certainly not doing anything to hide his nationality.

Nimrod
2013-02-02, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I figure there are a dozen ways to identify someone's nationality... from their word choice to accents and whatever else. Unless someone specifically says that they're trying to hide it, I figure that it could be detected, especially by someone else from that country.

And the ettin isn't wearing anything conductive. A tattered gray prison uniform and two wooden planks are all it has.

Also, nice re-roll! :smallsmile:

rypt
2013-02-04, 04:56 PM
Given that the ettin won't be making AoO's this round, now would be a good time for Dell to move into a position to flank. :smallwink:

Gorgon_Heap
2013-02-04, 09:13 PM
A sound idea.

Nimrod
2013-02-06, 10:54 PM
Okay, this final paper is due on Monday but I'm trying to get it done ahead of schedule. I feel crosseyed from staring at a monitor for this long on end.

I'll try to squeak in a post during the next day or two, but if I don't... you'll know it's because I'm curled up in the corner, hyperventilating.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-02-07, 01:06 PM
I hope you don't mind if I actually find that comforting.

rypt
2013-02-07, 01:58 PM
Please, take your time!

Starbin
2013-02-12, 10:09 AM
Hail the quivering mass in the corner! How went the paper?

Nimrod
2013-02-12, 06:20 PM
Just turned it in 14 minutes ago. After my celebratory feast, I am going to drink every beer in my refrigerator. Then I'll get on a post here!

Thanks for being cool with... school.

And I only have 4 beers in my fridge. :smallmad:

rypt
2013-02-12, 07:51 PM
Just turned it in 14 minutes ago. After my celebratory feast, I am going to drink every beer in my refrigerator. Then I'll get on a post here!

Thanks for being cool with... school.

And I only have 4 beers in my fridge. :smallmad:

Godspeed, sir. :smallamused:

Gorgon_Heap
2013-02-12, 11:16 PM
Awesome. Great flavor in that post Nimrod.

Can't wait to give this goon another wack! I really want to add my post but I'm so far down in initiative I think I should wait a bit.

rypt
2013-02-12, 11:19 PM
I really want to add my post but I'm so far down in initiative I think I should wait a bit.
I'm looking to get a full round out of Litany of Sloth, so I don't intend to have Eoli act before Dell.

Starbin
2013-02-12, 11:42 PM
Not sure if I'll post tonight, but give me a moment and I'll move around to give Dell a flanking bonus.

Two things, Nimrod (besides echoing the praise for another great post!): first, Kra-jak should be 10ft from the Hobbie (reach weapon), and second I just wanted to verify he's dead (his token wasn't dimmed like the others).

Nimrod
2013-02-13, 12:19 AM
Feel free to whack away, Dell!

Yeah, I forgot to dim that hobber. You did say you wanted Kra-Jak to take a 5' step to T10, though! If you meant T11, that's on top of the wagon. How about we make it interesting instead of my saying no? Hehe. If you can give me a successful DC 14 Athletics check, I'll let you tumble/vault up there as part of your 5' step last round! If you fail the check, you fall atop Aluatra and begin the next round prone. :smallbiggrin:

If you're not in the mood for a risk you can move to U12, but what fun is that?

Add: I suppose under the wagon would be a possibility, too... though we'd have to consider that prone, as well. Or in a squeeze? I forget the rule for squeezing through narrow openings, but we can dig that up if you decide to do it.

To Add Add: You guys are doing a great job of using the terrain to your advantage. If you will, just drop a note at the end of your post of what bonuses you're going for to remind me, though. When I start recapping a round, I'm thinking of six or seven things at once, so I overlook details sometimes. As long as it makes sense, I'll grant it to you. For example, Eoli will still have his +2 cover bonus for being within the wreckage of the awning/storefront. Consider it difficult terrain, however!

Starbin
2013-02-13, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I forgot to dim that hobber. You did say you wanted Kra-Jak to take a 5' step to T10, though!

Oh, you're right! I forgot the "If it dies, 5ft step" clause I put in :smallredface: Perfect ... but given your subtle prodding (:smallsmile:) I shall endeavor to bring a little cinematic risk to my next moves!

Gorgon_Heap
2013-02-13, 01:33 AM
I'll post my attack after sleep. And after having a conversation with a fellow gamer, I realize I'm kinda lame and want to show off that I actually draw my own PCs and that probably nobody sees them.

So here is Hallina Dell.

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Gorgon_Heap/IMG_HallinaDell1_zps85077843.jpg

Starbin
2013-02-13, 01:41 AM
Much better than I could ever do ... Good job!

rypt
2013-02-13, 02:13 AM
I'll post my attack after sleep.
I think I done killed it! :smalltongue:


And after having a conversation with a fellow gamer, I realize I'm kinda lame and want to show off that I actually draw my own PCs and that probably nobody sees them.

So here is Hallina Dell.

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Gorgon_Heap/IMG_HallinaDell1_zps85077843.jpg
I saw that on your sheet but didn't know you had drawn it yourself. That's awesome!

Gorgon_Heap
2013-02-13, 12:22 PM
I think I done killed it! :smalltongue:


I saw that on your sheet but didn't know you had drawn it yourself. That's awesome!

That was one helluva hit (how'd you do that?), but it was at 28 hp. I finished it off.

And thank you!

rypt
2013-02-13, 01:24 PM
That was one helluva hit (how'd you do that?), but it was at 28 hp. I finished it off.

Well, it had 28 hp before Kra-jak did 10 damage to it, leaving it at 18 for Eoli.

Eoli's hit was 7 damage from his sword, plus 14 damage from the Shocking Grasp spell he failed to deliver during the previous round. The attack was made in concert with the True Strike spell courtesy of the Magus' Spell Combat ability (essentially TWF with a weapon in one hand and a spell in the other).

Gorgon_Heap
2013-02-13, 02:10 PM
So the real problem is I can't do simple arithmatic.

Yes, that's about right.

I see the posts now. Methinks I was a bit bleary-eyed and up too late last night.

Nimrod
2013-02-15, 02:37 PM
Cool sketch! I used to doodle all of my characters back in the day, but I haven't drawn much of anything in more than a few years. I might have done a few profile sketches for a few games, but nothing serious. Inspiration comes and goes... but mostly goes.

Yeah, that was a pretty awesome hit! For some reason I didn't get a notice that you guys had all posted. I'll work on one and get it up this evening. :smallbiggrin:

Add: I found where I hosted a few sketches!
Gerald, a friend of mine's warrior in an old Forgotten Realms campaign I once ran:http://imageshack.us/a/img810/8976/geraldlarge.jpg
Fraela d'Valderan of House Tharashk, a dragonmarked inquisitive rogue of mine from a campaign that sadly died on the vine:
http://imageshack.us/a/img444/2458/fraeladndog.jpg

Gorgon_Heap
2013-02-15, 02:46 PM
Yeah ... if I ended up actually hitting a big hunk of dead ettin, which seems to be the case, let me know what you'd like me to do with my IC post.


Ooooh. I like those profile sketches. They're very reminiscent of art I recall seeing in Dungeon magazine a few years back (when there was a Dungeon magazine).

Nimrod
2013-02-15, 02:47 PM
Don't change anything. I'll roll with it.

Nimrod
2013-02-16, 01:00 AM
Dell got the killing blow, regardless! She took him from -5 (dying) to -19 (dead as a doornail). :smallwink:

rypt
2013-02-19, 01:41 AM
Bah. Sorry to hold this up. I'll have my post up tomorrow for sure.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-02-21, 05:59 PM
"Are we ready to return?"

We now have three posts in a row expressing this.

DM - can we maybe get a segue or fast-forward or something?

Nimrod
2013-02-21, 06:36 PM
Yeah, it's one thing after another! I've got a whole lot going on, but it should calm down soon. My wife and I hopefully are closing the house we're trying to buy on Saturday. She's already relocated and started her new job, but that leaves me to pack up everything solo. Gotta be outta here next week.

I owe you guys a post, though! I'll try to get one up this evening, but next week is going to be crazy busy. Bear with me just a little longer and we'll get a steady pace going, I promise. :smallsmile:

Nimrod
2013-02-21, 06:39 PM
On the other hand, if this is too slow for you guys, I won't bear any grudges if you want to move on. I've just got some priorities to take care of before I can settle back into my hobbies.

Starbin
2013-02-21, 06:53 PM
Whoa! Don't go jumping overboard! Let's just take it slowly (since I've been enjoying this game immensely). RL > RPG ... I know it sucks, but that's my theory (PS - my wife actually says it's a Law :smallbiggrin:).

So take care of the house, wife, chilluns, dogs, cats, birds, fish, genetically enhanced monkeys, or whatever else you have and we'll just pause until you're ready to go.

Or at least I will :smallsmile:

Nimrod
2013-02-21, 07:15 PM
Thanks for your patience! You guys are one of the best groups I've DMed for in all my PbP'ing. I didn't mean that last post to be snarky. I just honestly don't bear anyone any ill will.

I'll be back on top of things after next week!

Gorgon_Heap
2013-02-21, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I really was just making a suggestion, not telling you to get off your kiester. We just couldn't move on without your say-so.

Do your stuff, man. The fact that we want to keep going is just good news that you're running this well.

rypt
2013-02-21, 08:42 PM
I'll be here whenever you are ready to get things going again.

Nimrod
2013-02-24, 06:38 PM
I meant to get you guys an update, but... well I broke a crown on a popcorn kernel a few weeks ago. Since we're moving and it didn't ache at all, I figured it was no emergency. Of course, when the dentists are off duty, it acts up. I couldn't sleep for one minute from the pounding pain. God, it was bad. Tylenol, Orajel, Motrin, you name it... nothing worked. So I was trying to finish packing with a helluva toothache.

After a few hours, I was desperate enough to try the ridonculous-sounding home remedy of putting garlic on a sore tooth. So I sliced a clove of garlic in half and bit down on it for about 15 min. Well... it works. Amazingly well, at that. File that one away for if you ever find yourself in the same situation. It's gross, but it sure beats agony. I don't wish that pain on my worst enemy.

The move continues! We were supposed to close yesterday, but it didn't happen. They're saying tomorrow. My tooth isn't aching too bad right now, so maybe I'll take a break in a bit and give you guys a quick update.

Again, thanks for being cool. I'm enjoying this one a lot! We'll get it back on the road soon.

rypt
2013-02-25, 11:32 PM
Yikes!

Good luck with the tooth and the new house!

rypt
2013-03-01, 07:45 PM
Any updates?

Nimrod
2013-03-02, 11:31 AM
I saw a dentist and an endodontist... got some dope for the pain and some antibiotics for the infection... root canal on Tuesday.

We closed on the house Wednesday night... got power and water on Thurs... movers delivered our stuff yesterday, so we've got a lot of painting and unpacking to do. Cable and internet will be soon.

There are a dozen coffee shops around here. I might take a break and visit one for caffeine and internet today. Should be back in action this week!

Starbin
2013-03-02, 11:37 AM
Having moved plenty of times over the past years, I feel your pain ...figuratively. I've also been experiencing some pain from a fractured molar, so I can sympathize just a bit (though nowhere NEAR what you're going through, I'm sure!).

So get to us when RL settles down a bit!

rypt
2013-03-03, 05:55 PM
Oh man. Nothing like oral surgery to break up the non-stop fun that is moving. God speed, sir. Looking forward to getting this game moving again.

Nimrod
2013-03-05, 08:04 PM
Root canal was done today. Not pleasant but not as bad as they may once have been.

Internet should be installed tomorrow if the snow storm doesn't delay them. If so, a long overdue update will be in order! I can only bang out so much on my phone.:smallsmile:

Now it's time for narcotics and a nap.

Starbin
2013-03-05, 08:07 PM
Get well soon!

Gorgon_Heap
2013-03-05, 09:08 PM
Still hangin' out. Rest well.

rypt
2013-03-08, 04:11 PM
Will have a post up this weekend. I will say though, that I'm not inclined to abandon Aluatra if she is intent on staying.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-03-08, 08:05 PM
Well, Hallina is - but I personally love having an NPC cleric around who does a job without us having to, you know, acknowledge her. :smallwink:

Nimrod
2013-03-08, 08:34 PM
Hehehe...

I'll put her on cruise control in the background, but feel free to direct her as if she were a hireling. She'll be compliant unless it conflicts with her moral code. Having a goodly cleric in the group has its pros and cons! :smallsmile:

Mostly pros, I hope!

Nimrod
2013-03-12, 08:37 PM
Wordsmithing a post! Will probably be tomorrow before it's done.

rypt
2013-03-16, 09:33 PM
Do we know the name of the man we were supposed to meet?

Gorgon_Heap
2013-03-17, 08:25 AM
Man? I dunno about you, but me and FBI are here to scrounge through whatever computers/files, etc. we can find to see if we get any clues about Flynn or who else might have access/how they have access to the Encom systems.

... Huh.

It ... would appear I posted some random thought in entirely the wrong thread. Here's to painkillers and bothersome children!

Starbin
2013-03-17, 11:05 AM
Somebody's been watching Tron!

As for names, he appears to be nameless :

If anyone minds your violent shoving, they do not show it. Jostling forward, bowling people over when you have to, you crane your necks and push with all your might, attempting to catch up with the thief who absconded with your package. At the behest of a wealthy scholar, Matron Martra dispatched you to meet with a man at the Broken Anvil to make an exchange. You arrived, however, to find him dead in the alleyway nearby... with a cloaked figure standing over him, bloody dagger in hand. You can see the bright red mask that he wore flash in the angry glow of the low-hanging red lanterns as he repeatedly looks back over his shoulder, gauging the distance between you as he flees... your package tucked under his arm!

Nimrod
2013-03-17, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I bet he was wearing a red shirt. Let's call him "Jondo," hehe...

Probably not his real name, at any rate. :smallwink:

Nimrod
2013-03-20, 06:51 PM
You are the fastest posting bunch that I've ever gamed with! I'm so used to having several days' turnaround that I'm always surprised to see how prompt you are, hehe... :smallsmile:

I'll endeavor to pick up the pace a little. Maybe we I can squeeze in three posts per week, but as always... no pressure. I'll try to match whatever you set.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-03-20, 07:41 PM
Job's done and we're paid. Dell will pretty much wander off and try to gamble back some of her lost money until you give us the next lead.

rypt
2013-03-21, 10:42 PM
This week is the end of the quarter for me at work, so I probably won't be able to get my post up until this weekend.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-03-24, 09:59 PM
Awaiting word from the DM.

rypt
2013-03-24, 10:08 PM
Actually, I'm hoping that you're waiting me, but I realize I've been slow. I'm still hoping to have my post up tonight.

Nimrod
2013-03-25, 09:36 AM
Yep, I was waiting to see if there was anything you wanted to post, rypt. And no worries... the weekend had me busy with painting, cleaning out gutters, and all of the other chores that come with being Harry Homeowner. I'll work to get a response up today.

To add: That post was worth the wait! Awesome stuff, rypt. :smallsmile:

Gorgon_Heap
2013-03-25, 11:34 AM
Yeah. Wow. That's exceedingly cool.

Starbin
2013-03-25, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I third that ... way to make the rest of us feel bad about our RP.

:smallbiggrin:

Seriously, that was pretty cool ... but it does make me feel bad about my lack of a value-added post during our down time :smallredface:

rypt
2013-03-25, 01:27 PM
Please don't feel like that! I just decided I should make it clear that Eoli doesn't actually hate everyone and everything.

...just most things. :smalltongue:

Gorgon_Heap
2013-03-25, 01:28 PM
I'm busy at work but I do now feel the need to write out a post describing Hallina's violent, ribald, debauched, egocentric descent into melancholia.

Or not. Maybe we'll just stick with, "The survivors of Cyre all have some serious issues."

Nimrod
2013-03-27, 11:31 AM
Busy busy busy! Working on a post as my schedule allows.

Should be up this evening, though.

Nimrod
2013-03-27, 09:31 PM
Ah, when I force myself to post, they never seem quite as good... but a post is a post, eh? :)

Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...

Gorgon_Heap
2013-03-27, 09:40 PM
I see it and Dell will grumpily meet.

Nimrod
2013-03-28, 06:19 AM
Haha... on the bright side, maybe she can extort some money from House Medani? But play it how you like! If you'd rather have Dell gamble some of her gold, we can play a few rounds of Bounder while the others meet. ;)

I had meant to offer the opportunity last night but I was eager to get that post up.

Nimrod
2013-03-29, 05:22 PM
Let me know if you need more to work with. I realize that I might have ended that last update without much for you to respond to. I just didn't want to assume that everyone would say "Okay!" and head on over to the Drunken Dragon. A nod here will suffice to let me know where to take the next update. I don't mind split posts for social encounters. ;)

Add: OH! And the rules for Bounder, if Ms. Dell is interested in gambling:

"Bounder, bounder, bounder! No doubles, no doubles!"

How to Play: Bounder is unique among gambling games in that both the players and dealer use dice. The dealer gets three 6-sided dice, and each player gets two 20-siders.

To start, each player bets a stake (minimum 1 sp). Each player rolls his first d20, making his "point." After all players have rolled their points, each player may double his stake if desired.

Then the dealer rolls 3d6. Anyone whose point the dealer matches loses his stake.

Then each player rolls his second d20. If the player's two dice results are on either side of the dealer's result—one greater than and one less than the dealer's number—he "bounds" the dealer and wins an amount equal to the amount he bet. Otherwise, he loses his stake.

If a player rolls a 1 and a 20 (or a 20 and a 1), he wins double his bet.

If you just roll a string of 20's, I'll make a few rolls and we'll see how her luck is... if you like! Also, there are bound to be a few gamblers at the Drunken Dragon...

Gorgon_Heap
2013-03-29, 09:27 PM
Ah ... that'll do. A night of drinking and gambling it is ... I think I'll wait for any results before posting IC

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Intoxication roll vs ?
[roll6]

Will save vs spending more than 10 gp if she is really losing ... not counting any drunkenness penalties
[roll7]

Nimrod
2013-03-30, 08:38 AM
Bounder, bounder, bounder!

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

She got one bounder... lost the other two. Looks like you would have drawn even if you bet conservatively.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-03-31, 08:18 AM
Ah, well. I made my Will save vs Self impressively, but I'll still mark off 10gp for booze.

Starbin
2013-04-04, 10:59 AM
Nimrod - let us know if you need character exposition during the down time ... otherwise, I'll wait for the meet up with Aluatra.

During his free time, Kra-jak would simply want to look for any references to the Brotherhood of the Serpent.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-04-04, 09:52 PM
"Boranel, ol' pal! What's crappenin?!"

Holy hell! Thank god I didn't have a mouthful of beer when I read that! I'd have to buy a new monitor.

rypt
2013-04-04, 11:26 PM
I guess I should have mentioned it before, but Eoli will be joining Dell and Aluatra.

As for the stuff with Lorrik, I wasn't really expecting anything to come of it. I figure if its something you want to make use of in the future, great, but it was mostly just for fun.

Nimrod
2013-04-05, 08:10 AM
No prob, just insert yourself into the Drunken Dragon with Dell and Aluatra when you're ready and we'll move the thread along.

I try not to assume much on behalf of the players! I always hated DMs that made my decisions for me, hehe.

Starbin
2013-04-05, 02:22 PM
I suppose I'll insert myself as well ... we don't need to have the group wait while you run something separate for an on-going RP thread for Kra-jak. Time enough to do those things later :smallsmile:

Nimrod
2013-04-06, 10:52 AM
Hehe, I like Dell's contempt for... everything. :)

Gorgon_Heap
2013-04-06, 03:06 PM
Depression's an ugly thing.

Nimrod
2013-04-12, 07:06 AM
Got sent out of town on business last minute on Monday... just got home last night. I'll be working on a post for you guys today!

(Great RP while I was gone. :smallsmile: )

rypt
2013-04-15, 12:46 AM
Are we to read the khoravar's presence as more than a coincidence (i.e. something that Aluatra may have arranged)?

Sense Motive, if appropriate: [roll0]

Nimrod
2013-04-16, 06:56 PM
It isn't anything that Aluatra set up!

Nimrod
2013-04-17, 10:47 AM
Both Kra-Jack and Eoli can tell that the khorovar is definitely watching you. He's far enough away that he couldn't possibly hear what you're talking about over the noise, though. He just seems to have an interest in you.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-04-17, 11:01 AM
If he's not an immediate threat Dell is comfortable letting the others handle it.

Starbin
2013-04-19, 05:37 PM
Kra-jak is not the social butterfly, and will simply stare back at the man. Without Aluatra's player, given the dynamic of our group, you might need to 'impose' on us a bit :smallbiggrin:

Nimrod
2013-04-20, 12:50 PM
Ahhh, hehe. Well, I'll think of something and post it shortly. :smallbiggrin:

Starbin
2013-05-01, 08:31 AM
I'm hoping we're all back ... darn site outtages!

Gorgon_Heap
2013-05-01, 10:08 AM
Oh, yeah. Just not at all sure what to do IC. Without some sort of inciting incident Dell's disinterested malaise is muting her curiosity.

rypt
2013-05-01, 02:26 PM
That outage was a doozy!

Nimrod
2013-05-06, 08:45 PM
Hey, we're back! Yeah, that outage had to have killed a lot of games. Ugh.

You guys should totally get gamer of the year awards for your loyalty to this thing. If' we're all here, I'll work on getting that update to you that I promised before GitP kicked it in the neuticles.

Gorgon_Heap
2013-05-07, 07:59 PM
Ready when you are, bub.

rypt
2013-05-08, 01:31 PM
I'm still here.

Nimrod
2013-05-17, 06:40 PM
"Why, I'm just an NPC inquisitive put here, dropping bread crumbs that will lead you to the baron of House Medani!"

I forgot to reply to your skill checks! There isn't much more than what I hinted at, though. From the conversation, you gather that Creilath is an inquisitive that apparently owed House Medani a favor, since he alluded to how desperate the baron must have been to come to him. He seemed to take a little pleasure in the house's misfortune, so you wouldn't think he's one of them... or at least not on good terms.

Not sure if you're looking for more than that?

Add: If I rush an NPC out the door and deny you guys an opportunity for RP (but hey you had your chances, you just remained quiet! haha), chances are good that's he's not very important. :smallamused:

Starbin
2013-05-17, 07:14 PM
Just wasn't sure if there was more to a potential future NPC contact ... But far be it from me to look a Plot Horse in the mouth!

Nimrod
2013-05-17, 07:26 PM
Yeah, he's the Master Inquisitive from the Eberron Campaign Setting, hehehe.

There's some potential there! I used him anticipating that you might want to call on him in the future if you had need for one and his stats are easy to find. :smallbiggrin: But for right now, he's just a device to roll things along. House Medani was humiliated by the prison caravan escape, so they are no doubt in damage control mode... on top of whatever troubles Baron Trelib d'Medani hopes you can help with. A house known for its inquisitives may be too proud to openly ask for help... especially if there's a mystery involved.

If you're just curious, Creilath might be affiliated with them... he *is* a khoravar inquisitive, but... as we spoke of, he's likely not one of them.

I like leaving lots of loose ends so that we can tie them into something in the future. If you guys seek him out, he might have more to share on that subject.

Starbin
2013-05-23, 01:12 PM
Check my signature, but I'll be in the land of no wi-fi for 4 days ... sorry if I slow the game, so press w/o me, if necessary. I'll catch up on Tuesday :smallsmile:

Nimrod
2013-05-23, 02:26 PM
Noted! But if anyone slows the game, it's me. :smallsigh:

I'm a busy bee.

I'll be out of town for the weekend, too! Hope everyone enjoys their extended weekend.

Starbin
2013-05-30, 08:53 AM
For the record, I'm back ... sorry I didn't say something earlier!

Gorgon_Heap
2013-06-03, 07:16 PM
A table ornament ... man, that's funny. Good one.

Nimrod
2013-06-19, 10:38 PM
Hey guys, I know I've made a lot of apologies here, but life (as it is wont to do) has me swamped and I just haven't had the time in my schedule to do much gaming. I really hoped for this one to be more than a PbP statistic!

You guys have been nothing but good sports. If things settle down for me sometime after Summer, I'll drop you a PM to see if you're willing to resume.

Argh, and so on! Hope you all are doing well...

Starbin
2013-06-19, 11:21 PM
Well, RL has a way of overcoming the best of intentions. Good luck and drop me a line WHEN you're ready to continue ...:smallbiggrin:

Take care all!

Gorgon_Heap
2013-06-19, 11:22 PM
I, for one, understand, Nimrod. Best of luck and let us know.

rypt
2013-06-19, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I'm sure I'll still be around when and if you're able to continue.