PDA

View Full Version : Need help optimising a build (Planescape Torment)

Princess Tracy
2012-12-21, 03:23 PM
Edit: For clarity, this is specifically in reference to the Torment PC game, though tips on 2E are appreciated. I am quite interested in that system

Hi. I don't know much about the older systems of DnD (I couldn't even wrap my head around THAC0), but I got a copy of Planescape Torment recently, and was wondering what sort of build and stats I should go for to get the most out of the game. This is as much a question about older edition that the game's engine seemed based off of as it is about the game's mechanics and contents, I suppose.

I often go some sort of spellcaster, is the Priest any good or should I go with something a little easier as a newcomer? I was thinking Thief otherwise, though the Nameless One may have a hard time playing the dashing swashbuckler with those looks. The first time I started the game I put Int-Con-Dex 16/Cha-Str-Wis 9 as a sort of standard wizard build, but it automatically gave me a few levels in Fighter and nothing else.

Is my character build automated? If so, is ther eany way I can fine tune what I get?

Sorry if thie question thread is inappropriately placed. I figured it was probably based on teh mechanics of an older DnD so this seemed the place for it.

(I haven't really started the game yet - just got up, talked to the skull and rummaged through some containers. So, you know, while I'd appreciate 'there's some awesome stuff to find if you're a spellcaster, here's a hint', no spoilers please)

Premier
2012-12-21, 05:37 PM
Here's the basic thing you should keep in mind:

WotC's editions of D&D are all (in practice if not in word) are character building games. Planning and building your character is a huge part of the game.

TSR editions, completely different. You do not "build" your character, it's not an office building. :) All the effort, planning and energy you'd spend on character creation in later editions go to actually playing the adventures instead.

If you want a single-line advice, just pick a race and class that sound appealing to you, roll up your abilities (or if it's point-buy, go for something that gives you some bonuses in what matters to you but do not min-max - a low charisma can bite you in the ass).

Some more detailed thoughts:

- If you're a newbie to 2E, it' perhaps not too fortunate to start with some highly special setting such as Planescape, since the DM and the game might assume that you know a lot more about the setting than you really do. Play a PC who would be ignorant, like an adventurer from the Forgotten Realms or some other generic setting who has made his way to wherever the adventure starts.

- A Fighter is a solid, simple-to-play class if you're still getting familiar with the system. The Ranger and the Paladin are also good, but make sure they don't clash with the planned adventure's feel too much - no wilderness adventuring would make the Ranger a bit pointless, and the strong alignment-centred theme of Planescape might or might not make the Paladin unsuitable, depending on what the DM has in mind.

- Unlike in later editions (and MMORPGs), the Thief is [b]not[/i] a "damage dealer" or "DPS", nor a "flanker". He's a mediocre combatant, so keep him out of the fray. Backstabbing is highly situational, and don't expect to have more than one attempt per fight (and even that one might not happen). At low levels, I'd advise you to stay on the outskirts of the battle and use ranged weapons (shortbow or darts) against enemy spellcasters to disrupt their spells; only go for a backstab if messing it up won't leave you in dire staights. Having said that, if the game's going to be all urban and Sigil-esque, the thief might become a rather useful party member once he has a few levels under his belt.

- One important thing about old-school spellcasters is that, as written, they can take a LOOONG time to memorise/pray for spells (especially at high levels). Be sure to read up on the relevant rule, and once you have some significant magical power, never blow all of it at once except in the direst circumstances - getting them all back might take you the better part of an entire day (or several days), over and above the actual resting time.

- Clerics are solid, if you don't mind bearing the responsibility of being the party healer. Druids might or might not be appropriate for the specific campaign your DM is planning. Wizards are squishy and need protection, they're probably not the class you want to play first in a new edition. Be aware that (depending on whether you go BtB or houserules), it might be rather easy to interrupt a caster's spell by hitting him before he gets his spell off - check with your DM about how you're doing it.

- People who play 2E tend to like going through the dozen or so relevant splatbooks for class kits and the like, but I think the whole thing is a bit meh. The quality of those books is uneven, with some kits being significantly more or less powerful than others, and other just not being all that interesting or meaningful. They are most certainly not something you need.

- Don't bother dual-classing you human PC, it's fiddly and you're new to the system. Multiclass (or don't) your demihuman based on what character you'd find interesting, not on whether it makes him more powerful or gives him good synergies.

EDIT: Ignore Torment for any rules-related issues. They do a whole bunch of stuff with shifting around your class and increasing your abilities and whatnot that's not actually in the real game system.

Selrahc
2012-12-22, 04:10 AM
Torment: There is no priest class available for TNO. Thief is generally pretty sucky, and Annah can carrying any thief stuff you need to do.

So the choice is mage or fighter. There isn't really any particular build advice though. Nothing to pick at level up, beyond stat-ups which generally all get thrown into wisdom. Fighter is uncomplicated, and can get you through the game pretty easy. There are some pretty broken spells for Mage though.

You keep the proficiencies(In usable weapon classes), HP and THACO from fighter when you're a mage. You don't keep the spells from mage as a figher. So if you're really out for raw power? Pump edged proficiencies(the only one usable by a mage) up to the max, get a good THACO and then switch over to mage. You might not get 9s by the end of the game, but you really don't need them.

Most difficult fights in Planescape:Torment can be circumvented with dialogue. It's generally more entertaining to do so, and nets you more tangible rewards. So a power build isn't at all necessary.
Worst comes to the worst? You're literally immortal.

EDIT: Wisdom is the most important stat in the game. It unlocks dialogue choices and gives bonus XP. Int and Cha are also quite useful in that order. Physical stats can be dumped at the start. Trainers to let you switch to Mage and Thief are going to be available soon after you leave the starting area, and will eventually be in your party for added convenience. The main good point of Thief is that it levels up very fast, so you'll get more stats, since the nameless one gains them on level ups. By the end of the game you can easily have every stat above 19, with wisdom probably being 25.

Aliquid
2012-12-22, 09:11 PM
I don't know why people always trash the thief class for this game... I played it and liked it... but I always play stelth characters in games.

There is actually a big benefit of being a thief in this game specifically though... they level up very fast, and that matters in Torement more than many other games (ie. stat bonus). Jack your stats up high enough and it doesn't matter what class you are... you kick ass.

EDIT: I agree with Wisdom being important for many reasons. Charisma and Intelligence have a big impact on the options in conversations... and conversations are critical to the game.

JellyPooga
2012-12-23, 08:00 AM
First off; good choice on picking up this truly awesome game!

2nd; You don't get to choose your class at the start. You're stuck with 3 levels of Fighter. Don't worry though, you get the option to switch out to Mage or Thief pretty early on.

3rd: Dump physical stats. Even if you're planning on staying Fighter, your Int Wis and Cha are far more important for the extra dialogue options they grant than your physical stats, which given that you're immortal aren't that important (it might be a pain in the butt having to respawn, but there's rarely any downside to it). There are a few extra dialogue options that high physicals (notably Str and Dex) give you, but not many.

Gavinfoxx
2012-12-23, 12:13 PM
Torment? You want to be a mage, and increase your mental stats really, really high. Trust me on this. You'll start as a fighter regardless... but build him as a mage!

Just start reading the character creation faqs here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/187975-planescape-torment/faqs