PDA

View Full Version : DM advice

Immabozo
2012-12-21, 05:58 PM
So I had a friend point out to me something I rather liked. He said most good DMs he has had let the players have free reign of the world an pushed them in a direction using different techniques, instead of "This happens and you have to go with it". His example was a DM we both shared, who set up a town we were in, the situation and several objectives with monetary rewards for completing.

What are some techniques used by other DN's, like this, to motivate players in the direction of the story, but still keep the feeling of freedom there for the players?

hymer
2012-12-21, 06:09 PM
My work-less-upfront-sandbox technique:
First session: Have the players make PCs, set up the situation, explain the background, then give the PCs the first session to pretty much wander about town (or wherever) and look at the hooks. When that first session ends, ask them what they want to do next time. They may go for a hook, or something unrelated.
Then plan the next session accordingly.
About 1 in 4 times, you throw something at them that they have to react to in some fashion (town they're in getting attacked, villain makes off with their pet iguana). But after each session, ask the players what they want to do next time.

OR

Make the real sandbox until your nails bleed and moss grows on your eyeballs. Then astonish your players with how you've designed everything.
Then cry yourself to sleep over all the redundant work.

Immabozo
2012-12-21, 06:20 PM
haha, I like the first method, but am not a fan of mossy eyeballs!

thank you

NotScaryBats
2012-12-21, 06:27 PM
If you work together with a character to build a story into them through background, it can be rewarding.

IE if a character is built with a missing mentor and their quest outright is to find said mentor, you have that storyline to explore, either in addition to or as the main quest for your campaign.

Since the motivation is intrinsic to the character, the player should feel strongly about pursuing it.

Immabozo
2012-12-21, 08:40 PM
that makes sense

Uhtred
2012-12-22, 12:15 AM
I did the opposite with my players, employing the old amnesia trope a-la "The Hangover." They woke up in prison with no knowledge of how they got there or why, and the campaign has been them trying to figure it out. Needless to say they have pursued the plot themselves with very little prodding from me.

Immabozo
2012-12-22, 03:30 AM
wow, that's pretty clever!

Ranting Fool
2012-12-22, 03:49 AM
I did the opposite with my players, employing the old amnesia trope a-la "The Hangover." They woke up in prison with no knowledge of how they got there or why, and the campaign has been them trying to figure it out. Needless to say they have pursued the plot themselves with very little prodding from me.

Ah :smallbiggrin: A Classic

TypoNinja
2012-12-22, 04:24 AM
Make the real sandbox until your nails bleed and moss grows on your eyeballs. Then astonish your players with how you've designed everything.
Then cry yourself to sleep over all the redundant work.

I can do this, I've build worlds and I love crafting a narrative.

My problem with this approach is the Demon Murphy.

No matter what you design I freaking promise you your players will discover a crack you forgot about and choose that to poke at.

Lazij Scalesong
2012-12-22, 05:50 AM
It is a well-known and well-documented byproduct of GMing. No plan, no matter how detailed, survives more than fifteen minutes after contact with the players.

They seem drawn to plot discrepancies and uncharted (and undeveloped) areas like moths to a flame.

Interesting question: Has anyone tried motivating players by planning in every direction except the one the GM wants to go?

hymer
2012-12-22, 06:30 AM
@ TypoNijna (cwutIdidthar?): By the time moss grows on your eyeablls, hopfeully you've come up with numreous contignency plans and encoutners that don't take place into accuont, but rather necesisty.

But I agree, if we're merely human, of course they'll find the cracks. So we have to stall for time and get back to work as soon as the session ends. Ah, the joys of DMing. :)

@ Lazij Scalesong: I expect you're using hyperbole there. :)