PDA

View Full Version : The Defense of Tumbale'feith'cuiv IC.

Malak'ai
2012-12-21, 06:39 PM
Map:
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q543/Malakai85/MonstersMap.png

At the dawn of time, before Elves had even heard of Orc's, before Dwarves had started mining the mountians and before Humans had started spreading across the world, there were the forests.

Nothing changed in the forests. Trees and plants grew and spread, animals multiplied and the feyfolk played and sung.
The forest in the Valley of Tumbale'feith'cuiv was no different for centuries until one day when a group of Human explorers arrived. They spent many months mapping the natural trails, documenting the wild life and sampling the abundant foods of nature.
These explorers left early one morning not to be seen again until the next year when they brough more of their kind with them.

This was the turning point for the forest. Before this day the sound of axes on the trunks of trees had never been heard. The sounds of traps snapping closed on the legs of animals had never exisited. Bushes and trees had never before been stripped completely of their fruits and berries.

Over the next few years a small community grew on the outreaches of the forest and for a decade the residents never took more from the forest than they needed, but as the settlement grew, so did their needs.
Slowly the settlement turned into a town. And with all towns, it needed something to keep it alive, something to trade. And what better than, in the minds of it's residents, than the wood from the forest. Over time the town built it's logging industry, taking more and more trees.

This started to cause problems for the denizens of the forest. Not only was their home being destroyed, but so were they.
The animals were being hunted to supply meat for the workers, the feyfolk, who were linked to the trees were dying out.

Newly arrived to this forest after wandering the lands, you can feel the unease of the denizens in the air. You can feel their pain and grief.

After traveling deeper into the woods you decover a small enclave of Dryads, with something none of you would ever think you'd ever see, something so rare that it's thought not to exisit. A Male Dryad.
Unlike his female counterparts, this male seems to show his age. His skin is a pale and as thin as parchment, his long, leafy beard hangs to his knees in fine immitation of autum leaf piles, his limbs look as knotted as a gnarled old tree trunk.
He tells you the tales of the forest. Of the problems and dangers that now threaten The Valley of Tumbale'feith'cuiv.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-21, 07:16 PM
"Do you want our help driving off the humans, Elder? Or is war not your answer, here?" Feranys asks, after hearing of the plight of the woodlands here.

As all female dryads, Feranys does not show her 80 years, but has the body of a nubile elven maiden. Her head is topped with bright green summer oak leaves, and her skin is rough brown and green bark, like a moss-covered tree. A scar from a logger's axe mars her side, a reminder to take the threats of civilization seriously. Like most Fey, she prefers to be nude, but she wears a brown and green cloak given to her by her original dryad enclave. Unlike her sisters, Feranys tends to have a serious mein, rather than being in a constant state of frolic.

She generally stays in physical contact with Alon Witherlimb, her longest companion and truest friend, running a hand over his bark or perched in his boughs. Showing respect for the Enclave, she has her feet on the ground and wears a smile. It suits her beautiful face better than her typical scowl -- nevermind her grim topic of conversation.

Malak'ai
2012-12-21, 07:42 PM
"Violence is never an answer we wish to come to. My daughters and I have been turning the men away as much as possible but we are too few to protect the whole forest. There must be a way where we can live in harmony, like we did when the humans first arrived." the old Dryad croaks, his joints creaking like a branch in the wind as he gestures around him at the trees and other plants.
"Back then they took little from the forest and respected the ways of it's peoples. I do not know what has changed in these years past, but those that come to take the trees no longer just take what they need, they take trees, old and young, by the dozens.
Please young one... Find a way to stop the forests suffering."

NotScaryBats
2012-12-21, 08:33 PM
"Perhaps they are under new leadership," Feranys hazards a guess. "If we claim to be 'ancient protectors of the wood' that have been awakened by the humans' brazen behavior, we may be able to scare them off without murdering them in large numbers. I know my comrades are quite capable of intimidation."

The dryad looks back at her companions, thinking of their strengths. A thought occurs to her and she returns her attention to the Elder. "Have you sent any sort of emissary or otherwise taken action to see why the change happened? I have known all human settlements to grow and fester as time goes on, but perhaps there is something specific in this case that we could... excise?"

Malak'ai
2012-12-21, 08:44 PM
"There was a Human that used to come and visit us before the others started taking all the trees. His name was Jandun. He would sit and listen to the stories of the forest for hours. He would make make likenesses of my daughters and different birds and animals on these thin, flat leaf-like things which he kept bundled together. I have not seen him for many springs though." the Elder says as some of his daughters gather around with platters made from bark, filled with berries and other fruits, others with large nut-like containers filled with water and various juices.

GuesssWho
2012-12-21, 09:32 PM
It is not only dryads at the meeting. Euryala Gorgosum leans against a mossy boulder, the rainbow collection of half a hundred random serpents that adorns her head hissing gently. "Perhaps we should see what happened to him, then." She smiles unpleasantly. "Avenge him, if need be.

"And if they keep coming, perhaps we could seed the outskirts with carnivorous plants. There must be some large enough to eat humans . . ."

NotScaryBats
2012-12-21, 09:36 PM
Feranys accepts some berries from the other dryads and nods at Euryala. "If the man was truly a friend of the wilds, we should look into it. Perhaps he simply took what he needed from you and went his own way, however."

GuesssWho
2012-12-21, 09:55 PM
She takes a cup of juice, but doesn't look entirely sure about the fruit. "Have you got any meat at all? Fruit tastes nice, but on its own it gives me a stomach ache."

Visturon
2012-12-22, 01:00 AM
Krugg

Krugg listens with a quiet fascination to the ancient dryad. As tall as the treant but not nearly as stocky as most hill giants, it is clear he is still an adolescent. His brown hair is messy and his studded leather armor is of the crude craftsmanship of hill giants.

When the dryads arrive with food, Krugg props his massive hammer against a nearby tree and plops himself down in the grass to munch on the offered food. "Krugg help. Krugg think seeing human town may help with understanding."

NotScaryBats
2012-12-22, 01:30 AM
Feranys smiles at the hill giant, "That's a good idea; if we go directly to the settlement, we may be able to get to the bottom of things more quickly than we would skulking about in the woods."

GuesssWho
2012-12-22, 04:17 AM
"Won't they attack most of us, though? If I wear something on my head I might pass, but walking trees and young giants? Not going to fit in." She bites her lip a moment, thoughtful. "Usually I'd say that a dryad would be treated better than the rest, in a human area, but not in a logging town."

One of the larger hairsnakes is eyeing a small songbird. "Do you have anything more civilized, or should I let my little ones hunt?"

NotScaryBats
2012-12-22, 05:37 AM
"Hmm, another point. Dealing non-violently with humans is more trouble than I am used to going to, isn't that right, Alon? Remember those hunters in Trollvale?" Feranys muses.

Malak'ai
2012-12-22, 07:02 AM
The younger Dryads look a little shocked as Euryala asks for meat, but the old male chuckles a little, "My children and I do not imbibe the flesh of animals, though if you wish to hunt then please just take only what you need. I know other creatures have different appetites... But do it away from this grove." he says in a kind, open voice.

Sir Swindle89
2012-12-22, 09:26 AM
Witherlimb snaps back from apparently staring into the distance.

"I remember Little Sister. It was very unfortunate that it needed to end that way. I think we lack force in arms to handle these humans in the same manner. Perhaps Ulhari could infiltrate the town and find a human ally, this.. Jandun, willing to introduce us to the town's leadership."
I bow my head in thought a moment longer.

"It may be easier to simply Charm one of the gaurds or a leader of the wood cutters"

A look of disgust corsses my face at the mention of wood cutters.

dspeyer
2012-12-22, 12:40 PM
Ulhrai is present in hybrid form, enjoying all offered fruit.

"Find, yes, presuming no snakes were hunting me. Convince to help, with more difficulty. I'll either look like this or like an ordinary goblin, which will not endear me to him. Perhaps I could carry a message on paper, and pretend to be a mere animal messenger.

"But even in the best case, it's entirely possible that he's lost interest or lost influence. It's the nature of humans to change.

"Not that I have a better plan"

Sir Swindle89
2012-12-22, 12:58 PM
I ponder a moment.
"Eldest Dryad, could you equip my small companion with a token so he may be recognized as a friend of you and yours by the human?"

Visturon
2012-12-22, 01:43 PM
Krugg

"Giants cut forest to build homes and tools, giants not angry with forest though. Humans cut forest for gold, humans not angry with forest." Krugg looks around at his companions to see if they are understanding him. "Krugg think human town not fight till attacked." He reaches back and strokes his hammer. "Krugg be friendly and humans not attack Krugg. Same thing for all."

dspeyer
2012-12-22, 01:59 PM
Humans are angry at goblins, and with reason. I don't know how they feel about giants.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-22, 02:01 PM
Feranys purses her lips but says nothing. Glad to have fallen in with these myriad creatures, she realizes her knee-jerk reaction in this case may be too extreme. Since there are more sensible creatures talking, the dryad quietly listens for now, idly nibbling some berries.

Malak'ai
2012-12-22, 04:35 PM
The old Dryad thinks for a moment, his beard rustling as he nods his head.
He then looks up and says, "We may have something that Jandun would recognise." turning to one of the younger Dryads he smiles, "Anais, please find the first likeness, the one of all of us."

The young female Dryad runs off into the underbrush and you hear loud rustling and humming.

GuesssWho
2012-12-22, 04:47 PM
"My thanks for the hunting rights, old one."

She steps into the forest for a minute or two, and comes back looking satisfied.

HandofCrom
2012-12-23, 02:29 AM
Jack

The twisted fey creatures that looks like a short, old man finally looks up from the food provided and scoffs.

"Humans are rapacious, marauding beasts. They invade our home, kill my father, and drive me from it into your forest when we never kill a human except those that trespass in our home. They care not for season or location, they expand everywhere, they are fickle and capricious, holding no law or rule as we can understand, and they are capable of breaking promises. Something must be done."

Visturon
2012-12-27, 07:13 AM
Krugg

"Krugg not speak human tongue good. Krugg think someone speak good need try talk with human chief."

Sir Swindle89
2012-12-27, 10:06 AM
Gives Jack a sidelong glance. "Some may be as you say brother Jack. But the humans here once lived at peace with our kind. We should be able to come to an arrangment with them."

Upon hearing Krugg I smile to myself and glance towards Feranys and Euryala.

GuesssWho
2012-12-27, 10:38 PM
"Perhaps they find you fickle and capricious in return. I've heard many stories about the madness of the fey." Euryala grins. "I'd be glad to speak with them. Someone has to tell them that they aren't the only ones with a claim upon this land."

NotScaryBats
2013-01-01, 08:34 PM
Feranys is secretly pleased the medusa stepped up to the challenge of interacting with the townsfolk; she doesn't really want to be the one to open negotiations with such senseless, ignoble beings.

"If everything is sorted, perhaps we should get a move on -- more trees will die the longer we wait."

GuesssWho
2013-01-02, 01:57 AM
"More children will be dead tomorrow. It's not only the trees that they destroy."

NotScaryBats
2013-01-02, 02:05 AM
Feranys nods vaguely, clearly feeling that as true as Euryala's statement is, it is the trees that are paramount.

HandofCrom
2013-01-02, 02:16 AM
"However the humans are dealt with, I will help. There will be blood, mark my words, but I will restrain myself and let you try your way first. If they are dumb enough to think snake hair here is human when she smells nothing like one, they'll think I'm a pretty dwarf."

Jack pulls his hat off and starts lumbering around and saying, in horribly conjugated dwarvish, "Me am dwarf. Me am slowly. Human are be clan thing."

Sir Swindle89
2013-01-02, 10:00 AM
Starts walking in the direction of the town

I geuss that makes me the party wagon

"Regaurdless of what the humans think we are our first step is for our small friend to find Jandun and secure his sponsorship."

Malak'ai
2013-01-02, 07:16 PM
Just before Alon starts heading towards town, the young Dryad Anais comes dancing out of the shrubs, a dirty, crumpled sheet of paper in her hand, "Here Father, I found it." she says, handing the paper to the old male.
Taking it he smiles before handing it to Feranys, "Here, this should be proof enough for Jandun that you come from us."

Visturon
2013-01-02, 07:59 PM
Krugg

Krugg watches Jack's antics but clearly does not get the joke then stands from where he was seated and hefts his mallet up onto his shoulder, preparing to depart with his new allies.

NotScaryBats
2013-01-02, 08:04 PM
Feranys looks at the paper, then back at the elder dryad. "We shall do our best and heed your wishes; no war shall be instigated by us this day."

She turns to Alon Witherlimb, and begins walking with him, her hands clutching the paper to keep it handy.

GuesssWho
2013-01-06, 02:27 AM
"Humans have almost no sense of smell, Jack."

She stretches, then pulls up her hood and starts walking.

Malak'ai
2013-01-08, 11:15 PM
As you travel through the forest you can see changes in the types of trees and bushes as you get further away from the Dryad's grove.
The trees seem to be growing wildly, not as evenly spaced as they were, their roots sticking up through the dirt in places.
The bushes have changes as well to darker, denser shrubs. Thorns appears more and more often between the leaves.

HandofCrom
2013-01-08, 11:39 PM
Jack looks around at the growing tangle of the wild forest and chuckles to himself.

Without the dryads managing the plants, they grow rapaciously and choke the land. Mayhaps that's the problem with humans and their kin, they lack proper caretakers to manage them so that they grow in a controlled fashion properly in their place.

NotScaryBats
2013-01-09, 12:11 AM
Feranys looks at the growth with a modicum of concern -- does it seem natural and healthy, or somehow sinister?

Knowledge Nature [roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-01-09, 12:26 AM
Feranys:
Yes the trees and bushes all look natural, though not all look completely healthy. But you can tell that those that aren't totally healthy looking are just suffering from normal, natural problems that could be found in any dense, old forest. Lack of sunlight/nutrients, getting chocked by larger trees around them, damage from weather/animals.

GuesssWho
2013-01-10, 12:48 AM
"Perhaps. Although you'd think they could take care of themselves."

NotScaryBats
2013-01-10, 12:52 AM
"Of course they can," Feranys says simply, assuming the medusa was referring to the forest plants. She breathes deeply the air and continues walking, although she wishes she could simply frolic around in the brush for awhile...

No, there is work to be done.

GuesssWho
2013-01-10, 01:37 AM
"Nature can. People, oddly enough, suck at it despite being much smarter."

NotScaryBats
2013-01-10, 02:12 AM
"People are simpering, spoiled children -- even the elders." Feranys makes no effort to hide the venom in her voice.

Visturon
2013-01-10, 06:16 AM
Krugg

Krugg walks along in silence, his hammer across his shoulders. He has a casual swagger to his walk but he watches the woods closely.

Sir Swindle89
2013-01-10, 08:13 AM
"People are simpering, spoiled children -- even the elders." Feranys makes no effort to hide the venom in her voice.

"They are simply near sighted in the effect they have on the world as they try to make their short lives meaningful."

dspeyer
2013-01-10, 12:25 PM
"Which does make them rather effective at their short-term goals. Don't underestimate them. I've known a lot of people to get killed that way. And speaking of long-vision, let's get some..."

So saying, Ulhrai climbs to the top of the tallest party member and perches there as lookout.

Sir Swindle89
2013-01-10, 02:24 PM
hee hee that tickels
were you gonna do a spot check?

dspeyer
2013-01-10, 03:14 PM
Oh, right.
Spot: [roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-01-15, 05:22 AM
Ulhrai:
You see a few animals surrying about on the forrest floor and in the trees, but so far, no sign of humans.

Malak'ai
2013-01-22, 06:41 PM
As you travel through the thickening forest for another few hours you come to an area where the shrubs and underbrush has started to be cleared away. The trees start getting thinner, the stumps of those that have been cut down look as if the work had only been done a few days ago.
Taking a quick look round you can tell, by a very rough count, that 1 in 5 trees have been taken from this area.
All the other trees look in excellent condition, far better than the ones you past on your way here.

NotScaryBats
2013-01-22, 10:11 PM
"One in five," Feranys says mournfully, "but, I suppose it could be worse." The dryad looks closely at a felled tree, then says to her companions, "Well, how do we call a human?"

Sir Swindle89
2013-01-23, 08:52 AM
"Do not be short sighted little sister. A druid or one of your kind would advise them to take as many. Some must die so all can live that is the order of things."

I hope the old dryad was just overreacting and the rest of the forest is only this bad.

NotScaryBats
2013-01-23, 12:29 PM
Feranys rubs her chin. "Yeah, it could be worse. I don't think they are still here, though, do we should keep looking until we catch one.

GuesssWho
2013-01-23, 01:09 PM
"Don't worry, it'll get worse," says Euryala dryly. Her snakes hiss a bit. "It always does."

Visturon
2013-01-23, 06:48 PM
Krugg

Krugg continues his nonchalant watch of the forest as he follows his new companions.

GuesssWho
2013-01-24, 09:18 PM
So do Euryala's snakes. They hiss to her, telling her what they see.

Malak'ai
2013-01-28, 12:44 AM
Euryala:
All they hear is the normal noises of a forest. They see nothing but a few rodents scurrying about and birds flittering around in the tree tops.

As you keep walking, the signs of cutting become more apparent. Trees with lower branches hacked off, others with marks gouged in the bark of the trunks.

All:
The marks in the bark are a series of 2 letters and 1 number on each tree. They seem to indicate some sort of plan as they appear in a regular pattern on all the trunks you look at.

dspeyer
2013-01-28, 12:56 AM
Ulhrai

"This may be the point where I go on ahead. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but it beats the alternatives. Make sure to get that paper nice and secure around me after I transform."

Ulhrai climbs down and waits a moment for objections. If there are none:

Change into a rat [roll0]
Wait for the paper to be attached.
Proceed toward town, acting like an ordinary rat.
Keeping watch for trouble: [roll1]
And hiding at the first sign of anyone: [roll2]

HandofCrom
2013-01-28, 12:59 AM
"Hee hee, our friend Euryala is right. I eagerly await the moment we may end this farce and I may have my fun. Oh, by the time the sun sets, my hat will be so pretty!"

Jack stashes his hat away and starts skipping merrily through the wood, thinking cheerful thoughts of massacre.

GuesssWho
2013-01-29, 08:45 PM
Euryala sighs and looks at the carvings. "They're probably going to cut all these trees. Is there any way we could heal the numbers, slow them down a bit?"

NotScaryBats
2013-01-29, 08:55 PM
"For this many? It would take me a long time to do that. Besides, that would only treat the symptom - not the real problem, " Feranys replies after some thought.

Sir Swindle89
2013-01-30, 09:04 AM
"They certainly cannot take this many today. We should have this misunderstanding resolved before the humans get this far."

Visturon
2013-01-30, 11:33 AM
Krugg

"Krugg think talk human chief very soon important."

GuesssWho
2013-01-30, 10:03 PM
"If it is a misunderstanding. If not? Then their vile town will burn, if I have anything to say about it.

"The so-called 'civilized' races have had everything go their way too long. They must not be allowed to treat us like vermin ever again. For my sisstersss and yourss, I ssswear it!"

And she sits under tree LS9, shaking just a bit.

HandofCrom
2013-02-01, 02:11 AM
Jack comes up to Euryala, and speaks to her with all the empathy and kindess an innately sociopathic fey creature can muster.

"The humans took someone away from me. Ultimately, we can never get back those taken from us. What we can do is, for every drop of blood those degenerate beasts spilled, we'll take one of their filthy lives. It is not a fair trade, their lives are worth nothing anyways, but it will help."

GuesssWho
2013-02-01, 03:11 PM
"I killed the ones that broke my sisters' eggs. I turned them to stone and shattered the statues. But more come, more always come, and there will be more children dead tomorrow." She manages a bitter smile. "Maybe we can stop it peacefully. But I don't have high hopes."

Malak'ai
2013-02-03, 08:31 PM
You spend some time looking around at the markings on the trees, letters ranging from A to E with an L, M or H next to it, numbers ranging from 1 to 5, and from what you can gather, the marking seem to indicate the order of cutting, as those marked alike would make way for the next to be removed.

Walking another 400 yards you see that your assumptions are correct. The cutting is heavier, more and more trees missing, the stripped branches fresher, the greenery left on them less withered. Still, at the moment, no apparent signs of any Humans directly nearby.

Ulhrai:
**Quick question... How are you going to go about finding Jandun? I don't remember anyone asking for a description of what he looks like, and you can't ecactly as passers by while in rat form. I don't mide doing a little retcon if you want a description, but it would only be for you, not the others.**

HandofCrom
2013-02-06, 06:11 PM
Jack skips over to Feranys and Witherlimb and climbs the treant to perch on his shoulder.

"Do you two wonder if these trees had voices? Thoughts? Hopes? Dreams? I mean, before the humans massacred them, of course. If the humans could not hear, or would not hear, their screams, they would not care. Perhaps a few were able to fight back, and the humans simply chopped them down and made homes out of their corpses. Of course, I am certain we will resolve this with as little killing as possible"

Jack hops down and keeps smiling with anticipation.

NotScaryBats
2013-02-06, 08:21 PM
"Everything dies," Feranys says, gloomily gazing at the forest. A far-off look is in her eyes. "It is just a matter of when, and to what end. We shall see if the humans can be reasoned with, as the Master of the Glade wished."

GuesssWho
2013-02-06, 10:24 PM
"Trees cannot fight or scream. That is the only reason that humans make their homes from trees instead of bones.

"They can tell themselves that trees cannot feel pain, but how would they know? Trees are too different from them, they wouldn't be able to recognize a tree's pain." She sighs. "But at least with trees its an honest mistake. They kill people and innocent animals as well, and call it not just survival but good."

Sir Swindle89
2013-02-07, 09:54 AM
"Trees are at the bottom of the food chain, we grow to provide food and shelter. That is our purpose in the cycle. While you say the Humans are no better than parasites or locust. Do you have somthing against Locust? They simply do what they think they must, however misguided."

Shaking Jack from my branches.
I'm pretty sure you don't stand a chance on a grapple check. so just take it narrativly.

"Your kind are murderous scavengers. You don't kill to eat, you don't even kill to build a house from the bones. You and Euryala may have lost a friend or maybe some family. But if you murder every Human in this village it is the same as chopping down this whole forest."

I animate the tree behind E and direct Jacks questions about tree feelings to him.

NotScaryBats
2013-02-07, 01:09 PM
Feranys smugly smiles, patting her treant companion. True, the loss of a single tree is a tragedy, but such is the cycle of life.

GuesssWho
2013-02-07, 08:42 PM
"But the forest never did anyone harm. Certainly never on purpose. The humans, on the other serpent, would kill us all and call it a noble, righteous deed."

HandofCrom
2013-02-07, 08:51 PM
After landing embarrassingly on his rear, Jack gets up and brushes himself off. He scowls petulantly at the newly animated tree, and sulks quietly.

Visturon
2013-02-08, 12:18 AM
Krugg

Krugg nods agreement as the treant speaks his bit. "Alon speak wise words."

Sir Swindle89
2013-02-08, 08:48 AM
@E

"And you would kill the lot of them and call it the same thing."

GuesssWho
2013-02-09, 01:39 AM
"Hardly. A necessary act, perhaps, but neither good nor noble.

"Unlike them, I find little joy in killing innocents who happen to be a different species."

Sir Swindle89
2013-02-11, 10:01 AM
"Perhaps. But extermination on either side will not be necessary in this case. It will doubtless be necessary to end the life or ruin the livelyhood of at least a few members of the comminuty. But we are not going to allow innocents to be directly harmed on either side."

Malak'ai
2013-02-11, 06:25 PM
As Jack's being lectured on the feelings, hopes, dreams, fears and troubles of the tree that Alon animated, the rest of you start hearing the sounds of approaching beings. Laughing, cursing, general small talk becoming clearer and clearer with each passing minute.

**Here we go! Let's see what everyone does.**

Sir Swindle89
2013-02-11, 08:02 PM
Witherlimb trees it up.

And I watch every one very carefully.

I make use of my ability that makes me indistinguishable from a normal tree while i'm standing still.

And I ready an action to grapple the first Human to attack.

NotScaryBats
2013-02-11, 08:11 PM
Seeing her companion assume a stealthy pose, Feranys follows suit.

Use my SLA Tree Shape to become indistinguishable from a normal tree, five feet from Witherlimb.

Visturon
2013-02-12, 12:58 AM
Krugg

Krugg walks over beside Euryala and swings his hammer down off his shoulder, letting the massive stone head hit the ground close to her with a large thud. "Euryala and Jack be nice to humans, unless humans start fight." He proceeds to lean on the handle of his hammer casually and waits for the humans to come into sight.

As soon at the first one comes into sight, Krugg yells in what he assumes is a friendly voice "Krugg looking for directions, can humans help?"

HandofCrom
2013-02-12, 01:58 AM
When Jack hears the sounds of innocent people approaching without a care, he stops moping immediately. After jumping excitedly a few times, he exaggeratedly puts his hands over his mouth and takes cover in the best underbrush he can find while pulling out his sling and a skip stone.

Hide check: [roll0]

GuesssWho
2013-02-13, 12:30 AM
Euryala hides her snakes with a sigh and walks towards the human voices. "Is there any chance I could talk to your manager? I have friends who are worried about the forest being destroyed."

Malak'ai
2013-02-13, 06:29 PM
As the first of the rough looking people emerge into the open, they stop, stunned as they stare up at Krugg. Looks of startlement and fear growing on their faces as the young Giant starts talking.

Only a couple notice as Euryala steps into view, their eyes swapping between the Human-appearing woman and the Large "monster", unsure of how to take the scene.

**The group consist of 4 Halflings who have short saws on their belts and what look like climbing straps in their hands, one Half-Orc who has two axes over his shoulders, a broad bladed one for chopping and a thin headed splitting axe and then finally, a Human with what looks like an unbound book in his hand and a small hatchet at his waist.**

GuesssWho
2013-02-13, 08:02 PM
"My friend and I jusst want to talk, don't worry." She smiles slightly, with the smallest hint of fang. "We need to make sure the whole forest doesn't get cut down, or you might start getting 'monsters' moving into town for lack of anywhere better to stay."

Malak'ai
2013-02-13, 11:23 PM
As the "woman" speaks the others turn their heads to look at her.
One of the Halflings gets a confused look across his face, ""Wha... What do you mean? They'd attack us?"

Visturon
2013-02-14, 10:05 AM
Krugg

"Krugg not want hurt town people, but Krugg nicer than some forest creatures." Krugg casually looks around as though something dangerous might be standing nearby. "Euryala and Krugg want talk to human chief."

GuesssWho
2013-02-16, 06:06 AM
"Some would attack. Anyone who could pass for standard humanoid would literally move in. Sisters know it would be as unpleasant for them as for you, but if it's that or be murdered for being different I know which one I'd pick.

"Of course, it's likely that someone would find out and murder any escapees even if they did hide. The common races are so very intolerant. But then you'd have a civil war, which is much harder to completely win.

"So can we please talk to someone with a little power? The forest is already getting nervous, and soon it will get angry." She frowns thoughtfully. "I don't want that any more than you do. When all of nature comes against a town there is no winner. And I don't know what all lives in these woods, but I've seen trees that walk and beasts that talk."

Malak'ai
2013-02-16, 05:24 PM
The Human walks up, ringing his hands nervously, still looking between Euryala and Krugg and quietly says, "Ummm... Well... The Bürger would be the ahh... man you would need to speak to... Umm... But... ahh... no-one gets to... Umm... see him." he starts backing away, moving slightly closer to the Half-Orc, "But... That Master will certainly want to hear about these... Umm... People... that you're speaking on the behalf of... Ummm... Miss?"

GuesssWho
2013-02-16, 06:51 PM
"Euryala. I am Euryala Gorgosum, and my friend here is Krugg. If you wish to meet the rest of our little delegation I can introduce them as well." Her smile widens for a bit, just long enough for a very sharp eye to tell that her fangs are natural and inhuman. "We thank you for your help, Mister . . ?"

Malak'ai
2013-02-18, 03:22 PM
"Ahhh... Malcray, Johansen Malcray, Miss" the man stammers as Euryala smiles, his face going an even paler shade of white, sweat now noticeably tricking down his face.
"Umm... Begging your ahhh.... Begging your pardon Miss... But... Ummm.... Are... Are.... Are your friends.... Ummm.... Like you?" he forces out, his tongue tripping over itself before he finishes with a rush, "No offense meant, Miss"

As the Malcray man babbles, you see all the others backing away slowly, even the Half-Orc, though he doesn't look quite as scared as the others.

GuesssWho
2013-02-18, 11:00 PM
"It's a pleasure.

"All of us are people of the wild, yes. But don't worry, we only want to talk.

"Unless you do something stupid, like attack us just because we're different. 'Different' and 'bad' are not the same, you know." A tongue sticks out from under her hood, just for a half-second or so. "Sisterss Three, you'd think people would've figured that out by now. And yet everyone is terrified of everyone else . . . but I digress.

"Do you think you can stand to walk us there, or would you rather draw a map? I don't think any of us have ever been in the town long enough to learn where much of anything is."

Visturon
2013-02-19, 04:13 PM
Krugg

Krugg swings his massive hammer up onto his shoulder with one hand, changing his stance as if ready to walk off and looks to the human expectantly.

Malak'ai
2013-02-25, 05:45 PM
As Krugg lifts his hammer, all the workmen jump back, some tripping and landing on their rear's.
Johansen stiffens his back after a few moments of not-so-quiet, not-so-internal conflict and looks Euryala in the eyes, "I can take you to the Master... Then it'll be up to him. Most likely you wont get any further... As I said... The Bürger don't see no-one."

He then waves his hand and the others scramble up, and start making their way back in the direction they had come.

GuesssWho
2013-02-25, 06:07 PM
"If he won't see us it's his own problem, and on his own head be it." She gives the man a friendly nod. "Thank you for trying, at least."

NotScaryBats
2013-02-25, 06:08 PM
Feranys doesn't want to split up the party - Krugg and Eurayla could be walking into an ambush. She gestures and dismisses her tree guise and walks to catch up to Krugg.

HandofCrom
2013-02-27, 08:11 PM
Jack bounds out of the underbrush and joins his allies, looking a little apprehensive.

GuesssWho
2013-02-28, 03:02 AM
Euryala gives him a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, they're only humanoids. We could probably take the lot if we really had to."

Malak'ai
2013-02-28, 03:43 AM
Wandering through the slowly declining wooded area, large trails where trees have been dragged away are off to the sides of the path you're on.

After about half an hour you come into a clearing in a large (almost) semi circle of forested land. The stumps being pulled out of the ground by teams of oxen. At the base of the clearing there is what appears to be a building on wheels (covered wagon, about 15' long, 8' wide) with rough looking steps into the back.
Standing next to the steps is a scrawny looking Half-Orc with a large collection of papers in one hand and pointing in different directions back into the forest while talking to a large group of 'people' that are dressed and equipped similar to your guides.

Johansen turns and jumps a little as he see's Jack and Feranys standing with Krugg and Euryala, "Ummm... Pl.. Please wait here. I... I... I'll just ahh... Just get the Master." he stammers before running over, pushing through the little crowd and starts talking quite emphetically to the Half-Orc, motioning in your direction frantically.
You can tell the man is only just managing to keep his wits about him.
After the 'discussion', the Half-Orc peers over at you, his expression blank before handing the pile of papers to a Dwarf that had been standing close by and starting a slow trek towards you.

NotScaryBats
2013-02-28, 03:58 PM
Feranys merely waits for the man, running a hand down Witherlimb's bark.

GuesssWho
2013-02-28, 07:05 PM
Euryala waits as well, a forked tongue flicking out once or twice.

Malak'ai
2013-03-01, 10:36 PM
The Half-Orc walks up to you, looking you all up and down. His expression plain, not a hint or fear.
"So, Johansen says you're here to talk about the denizens of the forest?" he says in quite a refined voice, crossing his arms over his chest.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-01, 11:50 PM
Feranys resists the urge to ensorcel the man with her Fey magic, and instead uses mundane tactics. "We represent the forest. You must curtail your deforestation -- go back to the old ways of taking just what you need," she says bluntly and simply. City-folk like blunt and simple, right?

Malak'ai
2013-03-02, 12:14 AM
"Not up to me Mistress. But I can tell you, we are taking what what the town needs." he says quite politely, with even a hint of a nod of respect.
"The mandate to harvest the logs of this forest came to us from the Bürger; and to him from the Magnate. If you wish, you can try and convince the Sub-Bürger to allow you to speak to the Büger, that is up to you. But I must ask you to make your decision quickly. My men need to get back to work.

HandofCrom
2013-03-02, 12:48 AM
Jack pulls a rock from his bag, kisses it like a child would a small puppy, and puts it away. He starts smiling his innocent, distressing smile again.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-02, 12:53 AM
"Very well, we will speak to this Burger," the foreign word rolls off Feranys' tongue clumsily. The language of the city is still awkward to her.

GuesssWho
2013-03-02, 10:31 PM
"Thank you for what help you could give. We shall go up the chain of command and see where it takes us."

NotScaryBats
2013-03-03, 03:03 AM
"Is this chicanery the norm for interactions with the City People?" Feranys asks Eurayla.

GuesssWho
2013-03-03, 04:29 AM
"Pretty much. They tend towards government by desks."

NotScaryBats
2013-03-03, 01:03 PM
The dryad appears to take this statement at face value, not knowing what a Burger might be. She nods seriously as the group moves out to find the next man up on the totem pole.

Malak'ai
2013-03-03, 11:44 PM
"Well I wish you the best of luck. But may I suggest that the... Larger of your friends stay behind. The Town Ward may not... Understand they mean no harm." say the Half-Orc, giving a slight bow as you set out on your journey again.

HandofCrom
2013-03-04, 01:25 PM
Jack stifles a laugh with some success.

"You do not need to worry about me, of course. What harm could a wee being like meself do to you bigguns?"

GuesssWho
2013-03-04, 09:31 PM
Euryala rolls her eyes at the redcap and continues on.

Malak'ai
2013-03-04, 09:37 PM
The Half-Orc looks round when Jack speaks, not seeing anyone he finally looks down, "Oh... Sorry. I didn't see you down there. Be careful... The boys don't generally watch where they're stepping. Wouldn't want you to end up smeared on the bottom of someones boot."

GuesssWho
2013-03-19, 03:40 AM
"I'd be sorry for anyone who tried to step on him."

She grins and heads in the direction the half-orc pointed them in.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-19, 03:10 PM
Feranys considers throwing down some Fey magic, Charming the leader here and forcing him to stop operations for now...

But, she doesn't. For now, she'll play the game and meet with the Burger.

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-19, 05:33 PM
I'm going into that city if the guards like it or not
He doesn't think the workers need to know that.

Malak'ai
2013-03-19, 09:45 PM
You follow the directions given to you and end up standing a quarter mile outside the walls of what looks to be quite a large town.
From where you are, you cannot see inside the walls which are about 10' high, but the tops of some buildings can be seen over it. Also, the sounds of the mill can be heard at even this distance.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-19, 11:13 PM
"Well, Eurayla, I believe you are the most experienced humanist of the group -- how do we proceed?" Feranys says after a moment of surveying the scene. The dryad has heard stories of propriety and forms to observe while within the walls of a human settlement, but is unsure what is fact and what is fiction.

GuesssWho
2013-03-20, 04:22 AM
"Do your best to look harmless, the civilized peoples are easily frightened. They are not used to danger, so they overreact." She sighs. "There will be staring, and small children may ask you stupid questions. Try not to get annoyed by it.

"Once we get to the Sub-Bürgar, try to make things seem as urgent as possible. The more important you appear to be, the more he has to actually do something."

NotScaryBats
2013-03-20, 02:26 PM
Feranys nods seriously, taking the gorgon's words at face value. She enters the town with those of her entourage who decided to accompany her. There is a serious look on her beautiful dryad face, and her cloak flutters loosely as she walks.

Malak'ai
2013-03-20, 02:40 PM
As the Dryad enters the gates the guards heads turns, their eyes widening a little.
As she continues she gets more stares from the men and some scowls from the women. Even the children seem entranced, though not in the same way. They seem more interested by the fact she looks so different from any of the other races they're used to.

HandofCrom
2013-03-21, 10:08 PM
Jack skips in behind the dryad, doing his best to look cute and playful. As he has absolutely no idea how to accomplish that, he succeeds only in looking more grotesque than normal..

NotScaryBats
2013-03-21, 10:59 PM
Feranys approaches a town guard or other important-looking person with purpose in her step. "We are diplomats representing the forest. Take me to the Subburger," she says in her accented common. After a moment, she adds, "I am busy and important."

GuesssWho
2013-03-22, 12:10 AM
"We must see the Sub-Bürgar right away, strange things are afoot in the forest. The town is angering the wood peoples, the wild peoples." Euryala gives the man a stern look. "It will not go well for you if you delay us."

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-22, 07:19 AM
Alon follows closely behind the rest of the party as they travel into the town. Trying to look friendly and scholarly rather than threatening and supremely uncomfortable.

Malak'ai
2013-03-22, 07:45 PM
As the rest of you enter close on Feranys's heels the crowds attention turns to you as well.
The adults watch in a hushed, cautious manner as Euryala and Alon pass, but they start to back away a little as Jack strides through. His big, trying to be innocent, grin making them think of some sort of lazy predator.

The children on the other hand are even more curious. There has never been a day in their short memories where a strange woman has entered town with a walking tree, pet Imp (and supposedly a Giant).
Some of the younger ones join in the procession next to Jack, trying to imitate his grin and jerky, bouncing gait; laughing all the while.
One exceptionally bold boy jumps up as Alon is passing and catches one of his lower branches and hands there for a while, daring others to join him.

As this is going on, Feranys's questioning of the guard is starting off... Strangely. For starters, the guard appears to be deaf as he does nothing but stare at her, his eyes going up and down her body, a big cheesy grin growing on his face.
As she's just about to start questioning him again, his partner, who's been shaking his head the whole time pipes up, "The Sub-Bürger will be in his office. Big building in the centre of town. Through the main doors and down the long hall. Little man. Kinda vacant." he tells you; then leans forwards and in a quieter voice adds, "If you don't mind a little advice ahhh... Miss? But you might ahh... Want to... You know, put some clothes on" he motions up and down your body with a quick flick of the finger (his hand kept well away from you so as to not accidentally touch you), "Otherwise you wont get anything more than you did from this lump here." he finishes with an awkward smiles, hoping he hasn't offended.

GuesssWho
2013-03-22, 10:40 PM
Euryala sighs. "He's got a point, you know. Civilized folk only see the other gender naked when washing babies and mating. Since you're not a baby . . . well.

"Is there a clothing shop nearby?" she adds to the man. "And, and thank you for your help. Sisters know we need it. Sisters Three, the people around here are far too easily bewildered."

Malak'ai
2013-03-22, 10:49 PM
"There are many dress makers on Tailors Avenue. Two streets over." says the guard who doesn't seem interested in the naked Dryad in front of him.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-22, 11:20 PM
Feranys seems a bit confused at the need to cover herself, and uses her cloak for now, removing it and tying it around her body like a toga. "Thank you, that is helpful to know information."

The dryad turns to her gorgon advisor and pouts, "must we visit a clothier? That seems like a meaningless detour."

GuesssWho
2013-03-23, 12:53 AM
"We'll try to do it quickly, but I do think we need to. Unless you want everyone interested in mating with females to stare at, drool over or possibly even attack you, that is. Humans don't have a mating season, their women go into heat at random once per moon cycle, so they're always in rut. Covering themselves is the only way they can be truly rational.

"Trussst me on that. The gorgon race was born from an act of sexual violence compounded by victim-blaming." Her hair is beginning to writhe, and she has to stop a moment and cool down. Luckily, the store is right there. "Lets get this over with."

Malak'ai
2013-03-23, 01:13 AM
The shopkeeper looks up as the little bell beside the door rings. When she see's Feranys and Euryala enter she stumbles back, shocked and a little afraid.
The shop is filled with multitudes of garments in various stages of completion in materials ranging from fine wool, linen and silk. There are a number fully completed dresses on racks ready to be picked up.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-23, 01:39 AM
"I am busy and important, and need a garment before my meeting with the subburger," Feranys explains in her accented Common.

Malak'ai
2013-03-23, 01:51 AM
"Yes Miss. Right away Miss." the dress maker babbles, her eyes still wide, hands shaking as she points to a curtain behind her.
"T...This way Miss and I'll take your m...m...measurements and we'll f...f...find a f...f...fitting d...dress for you."

GuesssWho
2013-03-23, 01:56 AM
Euryala tries to look apologetic. She's not vey good at it. "It need not be fancy, but I'd rather some idiot human thinking with their crotch didn't try to hurt her or get in the way of our business.

"Perhaps a dress that was discarded due to flaws? As long as it covers her we don't much care how it looks. Although a nice-looking one may help . . ."

"Why are you so frightened?" she adds, after a few moments. "We're jusst people."

Malak'ai
2013-03-23, 02:07 AM
"Oh... Y...y...you don't want me t...t...to make it specially?" she seems disappointed, even through her fear.
Rummaging under the counter while trying not to take her eyes off you, she finally drops a rough looking (put together but not fitted or finished with any lining or trim around the hem, wrist and neckline), light tan garment on the counter. "I s...s...suppose I c...could let you have this one. I...i...it'll be 10 s...silver." she says, her backbone starting to solidify a little as it comes to the money.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-23, 02:10 AM
Feranys blinks. She had left all her valuables in Alon, who had not fit into the doorway of the shop. If Euryala doesn't have the money to pay the woman's fee, Feranys will excuse herself for a moment, take a gold piece from her companion's bole, and return with it.

GuesssWho
2013-03-23, 02:22 AM
"Perhaps when we're done we'll come back and let you decorate it, but I fear we're in a hurry at the moment.

"I think Alon has the money, I'll go get it." And she does.

Malak'ai
2013-03-23, 02:26 AM
As soon as Euryala returns with the money the shopkeeper hands the dress off and just stands there, waiting for you to leave.

GuesssWho
2013-03-23, 02:30 AM
Euryala smiles slightly too broadly at the woman and heads for the center of town.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-23, 03:08 AM
Feranys needs a bit of help getting the thing on, and seems to chafe at the fact she has to wear such a silly, city-dweller's garment. Still, she is able to get over it and make her way into the office at town center. She has her cloak once again in its rightful position on her back.

Malak'ai
2013-03-26, 03:05 AM
As the Dryad and Medusa exit the building, a small crowd of adolescent men are standing just across the street. If you're listening, you can hear some disappointed grumbles and "awww's" when they see that Feranys now has clothing on.

You leave Tailors Avenue and walk up the main street; eyes watching you, whispers hissing from observers.
A woman's voice cuts through, calling obsenities and curses at you. Another nearer the the front of one of the crowds speaks loudly to the woman next to her, intending to be overheard, "The Guard needs a good kicking for letting blatant hussies like that in to town. The freaks must have used some sort of witchcraft on them. Probably to seduce them... You know what they say about Dryads."

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-26, 07:38 AM
Witherlimb quietly grumbles to his companions "Just turn the other cheek. Getting in a confrontation right now in the middle of the city will not help our cause."

HandofCrom
2013-03-26, 10:25 AM
"An excellent start. Truly, there shall soon be peace between the forest and the humans! Come, come, let's see the reception their leaders give us." Jack is certain it is only a matter of time before the games are over, and the fun can begin.

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-26, 12:22 PM
"Did you expect this to be easy, brother Jack? Do deer invite wolves into their midst with open arms? You murder travellers and soak your hat in their blood. These people could die accidentally just by looking at Euryala or at Feranys' fairest sisters. We are not here to carouse with the locals and open a bakery. We're here to make these people do exactly what they want us to do now. shove off and get out of our habitat."

HandofCrom
2013-03-26, 01:34 PM
"I do not think peace will be easy, I think it cannot be done. In all my depredations, I have strictly followed rules older than me, and in my exile, I have shown the deference due to those who took me in, and followed their rules. Such things do not bind these creatures in any fashion. They are capable of doing anything. It is pointless for us to try to see the world as they do, like a bird trying to understand the thoughts of a stone. Also, do not underestimate them. Most are weak and helpless, but some are incomparably deadly. We are in a dangerous place, do not forget that."

Jack calms himself. The mewling crowds took him off guard, but he remembers how adventurers destroyed his invincible creator, and he starts scrutinizing townsfolk to mark those who could pose a danger.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-26, 02:49 PM
Feranys, for her part, doesn't know what a hussie is, and assumes it is some sort of insult. She allows Alon to speak for her to her comrades, thibking about the upcoming meeting with the subburger.

Malak'ai
2013-03-26, 02:55 PM
You reach the main doors to the Town Hall. The guards outside, dressed in real gaudy uniforms of breastplate over a bright green tunic, yellow breeches, knee high black boots polished so brightly you can almost see yourselves in them and a high feather crested helmet, drop their halberds acoss the doors to bar your entry.
"And what do you Things think you're doing here?" one of them asks with with a growl.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-26, 06:22 PM
Feranys puffs up her chest a bit with pride and importance, "I am Feranys of the Glade. You will take me to the Subberger, immediately. We do not have time to wait." The Dryad says, making full eye contact with the guard.

GuesssWho
2013-03-26, 09:09 PM
"Alsso, the next one of you who callsss me a thing isss getting ssstoned." She flicks out her tongue. "And then dropped off the nearesst cliff. I am Euryala Gorgosum, true daughter of the Sssisstersss Three, and no thing."

Malak'ai
2013-03-27, 12:53 AM
'Oh? And why should I take care with how I address you, Monster? And what makes you think you have the right to see the Sub-Bürger?" the Guard responds, his mouth curling up into a mean smile.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-27, 01:04 AM
"Because we are important. And busy. Now, take us to the Subberger, human," Feranys Suggests with steel in her voice.

DC 17 Suggestion! Probably a bad idea, but let's hope not <3

GuesssWho
2013-03-27, 01:06 AM
"We live jusst outsside your wallsss. And we come to warn you of danger. If you'd prefer the whole woodsss to come againsst you, jusst sssay ssso and we'll be happy to go away again." She lets a few snakes curls around her face. "As for resspect, Human, when a gorgon isss angered you get a ssstatue garden."

Malak'ai
2013-03-27, 01:09 AM
Guards Will Save: [roll0]
**Wow... The poor little lvl 3 Warrior... Under the thrall of a Dryad :smallwink::smalltongue:**

Looking into Feranys eyes as she speaks, the guards expression and demeanor suddenly change. Quickly snapping his halberd back upright against his shoulder he bows his head, "Forgive me Mistress. I knew not what I was doing."
His companion on the other side of the door starts looking from you to the enthralled guard, starting to look scared and backing away.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-27, 05:39 PM
Tom begins polishing the brass candlesticks for a fourth time, searching for the mysterious imperfections that were somehow visible only to the Burger's eye...

Seriously... f#$@k this s%&#t. I don't care who his grandfather is or if he really is best friends with the Duke or has half the bounty hunters in the province on speed pigeon... I need to be out of this place before I become a murderer for real...

Tom is startled out of his thoughts by the sound of a commotion from the front door. For about the tenth time that day the too-large top hat slides down over his eyes...

Goddamn hat... Goddamn Burger...

NotScaryBats
2013-03-27, 06:03 PM
Feranys makes an irritated gesture, indicating that the man should move on.

Malak'ai
2013-03-28, 12:18 AM
Hastily bowing again, the guard pulls the door open quickly, "After you Mistress."

NotScaryBats
2013-03-28, 01:18 AM
Feranys nods to the other guard, and enters the building, her cape flowing elegantly behind her.

Malak'ai
2013-03-28, 01:33 AM
You enter the building and walk down a short hallway, at the end of which is a 20'x20' room with bookcases and shelves along the walls. In the middle of the room in front of a large set of ornately decorated double doors is a small desk.
Behind the desk is an old bald, tired looking man.
There is also another man standing in front of a set of shelves, muttering while polishing some candlesticks.

GuesssWho
2013-03-28, 02:42 AM
"Are you the Sub-Bürgar?" she asks the older man.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-28, 02:44 AM
Feranys opens her mouth to ask the same question, but differs to Euryala.

Malak'ai
2013-03-30, 06:10 PM
The little old man looks up. Large black rings under his eyes, his cheeks sunken and his skin sallow. "That I would be Miss." he says, his eyes flickering between Feranys and Euryala only once. No sign of fear or indifference on his face.

GuesssWho
2013-03-30, 07:08 PM
Euryala is momentarily surprised by the unhappy pain in that face, but puts it aside. "The amount of logging this town is doing has started to upset the forest. There are whispers of retaliation in the trees. Creatures never seen by men are losing their buffers.

"If you would not have the trees coming against you, something must be done to mollify them. Already your kind have drained swamps, watered deserts and rerouted streams. What has nature done to you, for you to ruin it like this, I do not know. But the trees know you as an enemy now, and if you do not seek to right your wrongs against them and all the beasts that dwell in their shade then they will be forced to tear this place apart."

NotScaryBats
2013-03-30, 07:12 PM
Feranys is relieved she brought Euryala along; the medusa possesses a glibness that Feranys does not. The dryad stands firmly beside her comrade, eyes scanning the room.

Malak'ai
2013-03-31, 06:07 AM
The Sub-Bürger slowly and jerkily pushes himself to his feet, a look of strain marring his face.
As he recovers from the effort of simply standing, he wheezes, "I knew it... Jandun and I warned him..."

His words are cut off as the door behind him shakes as the sound of shattering pottery echoes through them just before a loud, deep voice with a shrill edge booms from the room behind the doors, "SERVANT! GET IN HERE SERVANT! I NEED YOU SERVANT! NOW! HURRY! NOW!"

GuesssWho
2013-03-31, 05:26 PM
"Smart of you."

She winces at the shouting. "Who the Hell is that, and why is he screaming like an idiot?"

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-31, 06:07 PM
The visitors can see a very short man off to one side, fiddling with some candlesticks. While he is several inches short of five feet in height, his proportions are those of a stocky Human and not a Halfling or Dwarf (or even a hereditary "dwarf"). He is dressed in a parody of formal attire, a suit at least two sizes too large for him, trimmed in the Burger's colors...

Tom pretends to be engrossed in his work as he listens in on the conversation. He realizes something is up even before the first word is spoken. The scents of the two women are off, somehow. Especially the taller one... like nothing he'd ever smelled before.

They're "from the forest?" Elves? The shorter one smells sort of like an Elf... but the tall one?

His thoughts are interrupted by a commotion from behind the door.
Oh, hell... what does he want now?

Tom opens the door, prepared to investigate the cause of this latest tantrum...

Malak'ai
2013-04-01, 02:38 AM
Euryala and Feranys:
The old man sighs and places his hand over his eyes, slowly drawing it down his face in a sign of frustration, "That would be the Bürger... Seems he's woken up from his nap and wants his bottle... So to speak." he says as you see the strangely dressed man in the top hat step through the door. A moment later you hear the same booming voice shouting, "SERVANT! MY CHAMBER POTS FULL! WHERE ARE MY CLOTHES? I'M HUNGRY! WHERE'S MY WINE? I WANT MY WINE!!"

Tom:
You enter the room, stepping over the shattered remains of a chamber pot (and it's contents that have splashed all over the door and floor) and see the Bürger standing beside his "day bed" in nothing but his big floppy tri-cornered hat and bright yellow stockings.
"SERVANT! MY CHAMBER POTS FULL! WHERE ARE MY CLOTHES? I'M HUNGRY! WHERE'S MY WINE? I WANT MY WINE!!" short, red faced obese man continues bellowing, his stomach shaking violently as he starts waving his short arms above his head like a child throwing a tantrum.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-01, 04:10 AM
"This is the man that rules your settlement?" Feranys deadpans. "In the Glade, it is the oldest and wisest among us that speak with the voice that we all abide."

GuesssWho
2013-04-01, 04:11 AM
"Sounds like a horrible little twit." She manages a sympathetic little smile. "Would I be correct in guessing that it's all his fault?"

Malak'ai
2013-04-01, 04:35 AM
I wouldn't say all his fault. He does what his Grandfather, the Kaiser, tells him to, but he has a tendency to get a little... Over zealous in how he has those orders carried out." the old man says, glancing over his shoulder at the still slightly open door.

Sir Swindle89
2013-04-01, 08:37 AM
Witherlimb looms, not wanting to interfere with the women's diplomatic negotiations.

Swami Monsoon
2013-04-01, 12:05 PM
Tom tiptoes his way around the spreading lake of piss, wincing at the sight of the Burger in all his glory... Ugh... can't be unseen...

"Sir, you have guests waiting outside."
He assembles a suit of clothes from the wardrobe and tries to get the Burger presentable. "Oh sh-- don't step in that!

As Tom returns to the front rooms in search of a mop, he notices that another guest has entered. He does not need his nose to tell him that this person is strange indeed... A... tree man? That might sober the Burger up...

Malak'ai
2013-04-01, 01:46 PM
Tom:
It takes you a considerable time to get the Bürger dressed, but eventually you get him presentable. When you mention guests, a big grin covers his face, "Guests? Have they brought me presents? I want presents! Make them have presents for me Servant!" he says in an excited tone, though his voice has returned to a normal conversational volume.

GuesssWho
2013-04-01, 05:11 PM
"He seems to have some sort of . . . mental deficit. Why is he in charge of, well, anything?"

Malak'ai
2013-04-01, 05:51 PM
The Sub-Bürger gives you a slight smile, "Yes. He is a child in many ways. But he is the Kaiser's favourite grandchild so he was sent out here to administer this new town. I can generally curb most of his declerations, but unfortunately, he does sometimes slip something past me... Like he did with the logging order. When that happens, I can't countermand it."

NotScaryBats
2013-04-02, 11:08 PM
"Then, are we to countermand the order with him ourselves, or is there some other procedure?" Feranys asks, her arms folded.

Malak'ai
2013-04-03, 01:34 AM
"You can try, if you can get him to concentrate long enough to listen to you." the old man tells you, looking back over his shoulder as Tom exits the room.
"Other than that, the only one who can rescind the order is the Kaiser himself."

GuesssWho
2013-04-03, 04:24 AM
"We'll probably have to talk to him, then, since this one is too dumb to get it."

Sir Swindle89
2013-04-03, 08:23 AM
Trying to speak so the old man might not hear
"The mind of a sapling bends like a sapling and the mind of an old oak bends like an old oak."

speaking normally to Euryala
"I think we should try negotiations here first. I'm sure you and Sister Feranys can make him see things our way."

NotScaryBats
2013-04-03, 03:11 PM
Sylvan (mostly to Alon, Ferayns frequently bounces ideas off her lifelong companion in a sort of 'thinking aloud' kind of way): "But solving our problems with temporary enchantments could cause diplomatic incident when they wear off -- or if these cityfolk have any magicians in their midst."

Common: "Yes, and may we see him now?" Ferayns says softly, reaching into the treant's bole to recover a small bauble -- a pearl worth about 50gp.

I have 600 gp loose change -- I assume some of it is in gems? I'll try to give that to the Berger, assuming I heard him say he wanted a present.

HandofCrom
2013-04-03, 03:36 PM
Jack shrugs, and says in Sylvan, "I do not know what method these beasts use to decide their hierarchy, but we could try to get rid of this one so they get a more agreeable replacement. No, not that way, unless it's okay, I mean something like bewitch him to run around the streets sans garments, they apparently get whiny over that."

GuesssWho
2013-04-03, 07:37 PM
Euryala sighs. "Who can we speak to about all this that has both the power to change it and the brains of a five-year-old or more?"

Sir Swindle89
2013-04-03, 08:30 PM
In Sylvan "We could easily keep the buffoon enchanted for long enough for a more permanent blackmail situation to come up. It's only a matter of convenience that we don't simply maintain the enchantment forever."

To Ereyala "The burger is who we have to deal with now. If this Kaiser put him in charge why do you think he will be any better?"

In Sylvan again "This elder appears to be the brains behind the leadership. In the worst case he would probably take power at least on a temporary basis."

Malak'ai
2013-04-03, 08:31 PM
"No one in this town unfortunately. But as I have said, you could always try and convince the Kaiser. He may be old, but his mind is still sharp. He's also quite tollorant of.." the old man pauses for a moment, searching for the correct word, "peaceful Non-Human people."

As he finishes, the doors behind him burst open and a very fat, gaudily dressed (bright light blue jacket, red waist coat, green breeches and yellow stockings topped off with a dark blue tri-cornered hat) man of middling height strides through. His red face has a slack look to it.
He moves towards you, bellowing, "SERVANT! I WANT WINE SERVANT! ARE THESE THE GUESTS? DO THEY HAVE PRESENTS? DID YOU TELL THEM THEY HAVE TO GIVE ME PRESENTS, SERVANT?!"

NotScaryBats
2013-04-03, 08:35 PM
In Sylvan: "Unless you wish to start a permanent embassy here, Alon, we cannot simply keep the human enchanted; my most potent Glamour would need to be renewed five times daily to keep its effects."

Feranys only has access to Charm Person. Though she can cast it many times a day at a high dc, it lasts 5 hours.

GuesssWho
2013-04-03, 08:36 PM
Cue facepalm. "I think it'll have to be him, then. Although I suppose we can try a very simple explaination for yonder simpleton."

She actually giggles a bit at the bellowing. "He does know we're standing right here, doesn't he?"

Swami Monsoon
2013-04-03, 08:54 PM
Wine? As in more wine?! For f#@&k's sake, it's ten in the morning and he's already half in the bag...

Tom fetches a carafe of wine and a tray of glasses. White wine, so it's not so obvious at a glance how diluted it is. He notices another guest... a very wizened Gnome that, unsurprisingly, smells nothing like a Gnome.

I hope they don't mind watered wine... but I'd bet they would mind the Burger barfing in their laps a whole lot more.
But somehow these folks did not strike Tom as the drinking type...

NotScaryBats
2013-04-03, 09:06 PM
"A token for you, Burger," Feranys says, gesturing and presenting the pearl to the man. "We have come to discuss urgent diplomatic issues with you. It is important and busy." The dryad looks at the man with the wine tray, who seems oddly ill-at-ease with his lot in life. Wasn't it the way of the city-folk to keep slaves?

Malak'ai
2013-04-07, 05:19 PM
The Bürger gives Feranys a big smile and snatches the pearl from her hand; staring at it in the palm of his hand.
When Tom arrives with the wine, the obese man turns, thrusts out his hand, "Look Servant! Funny looking lady gave me a shiny present!" he says while bobbing up and down on his toes before reaching out with his other hand, grasping the wine carafe and takes a large gulp, some of the wine spilling from the corners of his mouth onto his jacket and waistcoat.

Swami Monsoon
2013-04-07, 05:49 PM
Tom is preparing to serve the guests when... GLUGLUGLUGLUG...
He can't help but bury his face in his palm... finally he looks up and very quietly whispers at the guests "Sorry about that..." He has reason to believe that their ears are a whole lot better than the Burger's.
Tom fetches a fresh carafe and fills the guests' glasses...

I have to get out of here and damned soon...

Sir Swindle89
2013-04-09, 07:48 PM
I drink the Wine from the relatively tiny goblet and spill a bit down my beard.

GuesssWho
2013-04-09, 10:56 PM
Euryala shrugs and flicks her tongue into the wine.

Malak'ai
2013-04-09, 11:14 PM
The Bürger looks at all of you as you drink, his mouth dropping open a little at Euryala's flicking tongue.

The old man takes the opportunity to walk round to the front of he desk, leaning in and saying in a voice that sounds a lot calmer than the look on his face would lead you think it should be.
"Sir. Sir! These... People have come to discuss the business in the forest. They are quite concerned about have many trees are being felled." he says, drawing the obese fools attention away from the rest of you.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-16, 12:47 AM
"Yes, you should return to your previous ways of taking a small amount that is needed rather than clear-cutting huge swathes of land."

Malak'ai
2013-04-17, 05:59 AM
The Bürger looks at you, back at his deputy, then back at you again, "Pop-pop wrote me a letter saying he ex-speck-ted the tree chopping men to up pro-duck-shone of lung-bar. I do what Pop-pop writes and tells me to do." he says in a slightly quite voice, fumbling a little over some of the words.
The Sub-Bürger shrugs a little, then looks over at Tom, "Would you be so kind as to get the meeting room readied? I think it would be best if we brought the Union Heads in so they can hear what our guest have to say."

GuesssWho
2013-04-18, 02:10 AM
"It's lumber, dear. And sometimes you can't just obey blindly." Euryala has decided to treat the idiot like a new hatchling until further notice.

Swami Monsoon
2013-04-18, 10:50 AM
That tongue... I really saw that...

Tom readies the conference room and sets out more refreshments.

Yeah, this will end well...

Malak'ai
2013-04-22, 03:01 AM
The old man leads you quickly to the meeting room, bowing his head a little and says, "I'll be back with you shortly. I just need to give his Lordship a little... Council before the others arrive."

Sir Swindle89
2013-04-22, 07:35 AM
Witherlimb follows the old man into the room and finds a corner to loom in.

I'm sure he needs all the council he can get.

GuesssWho
2013-04-22, 04:56 PM
"If not more, the poor retarded twit."