PDA

View Full Version : Molding Polyurethane plastic. (Darth Revan Costume question).

Mystic Muse
2012-12-22, 10:11 PM
I decided on a costume for Gencon next year, and unfortunately, it requires molding polyurethane plastic to do correctly. Does anybody know what kind of person I would go to to get the plastic molded for me?

For reference, I was hoping to go as Darth Revan, and here's the guide I was going off of. http://www.mywickedarmor.com/costumes/revan/revan.htm

It's apparently something you can do yourself, but I have no idea how safe that is, or any experience with it, so doing it myself seems like a bad idea.

If anybody has any tips for the costume, I'd be more than willing to hear them.

SiuiS
2012-12-24, 03:16 AM
One of the groups in Amtgard, a national LARP combat sport, makes armor out of paint buckets and similar. For shaped pieces, they go so far as to heat the plastic in an oven then apply it to a form. Occasionally that form is someone wearing insulation. So depending on the polyurethane in question it should work.

Styrofoam is a low density polyurethane extruded padding an I wouldn't put that near a heat source though. So research! I suggest Wikipedia and the like. You can lurk the forums at electricsamurai dot com in the arts and crafts section, but I wouldn't converse with folks there. They get trollish and mean.