PDA

View Full Version : Comic #752: Hair and Character Growth

pwning doodes
2012-12-22, 10:28 PM
I just noticed something a few strips after Haley grows really long hair and comments about how she thought hair styles represented character growth. When she cuts the extra hair off afterwards, her pony tail doesn't look exactly the way it did before Crystal cut it. The original pony tail had squiggly edges but the bottom edge of the new one is all jagged. I guess hair really does represent charcter development! Sorry if this seems really nitpicky and unimportant, but I thought it was cool.

Agnostik
2012-12-23, 06:01 AM
Psst! It's an art upgrade, you're supposed to pretend they were always drawn this way. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0198.html)

pwning doodes
2012-12-23, 02:31 PM
Haha!

But seriously, I don't see why the jagged hair would be an art upgrade--it doesn't actually look any cooler. I really think Rich drew it that way because Haley cut it with scissors instead of her original professional salon cut, and it was an intentional change from her previous hair.

You might be right, though... :smallwink:

Agnostik
2012-12-23, 06:08 PM
I think it's just one of those things that adds a bit of detail, or maybe Rich just decided he likes the character more this way. I do like the "scissors theory" though.

Now if only we could see the undoubtedly emotional story of Nale's character development which resulted in a more spiky, jagged goatee... :smallwink:

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-24, 11:55 PM
But seriously, I don't see why the jagged hair would be an art upgrade--it doesn't actually look any cooler. I really think Rich drew it that way because Haley cut it with scissors instead of her original professional salon cut, and it was an intentional change from her previous hair.

Yes, it was an intentional change from her previous hair. No, it does not signify character growth.

Jay R
2012-12-31, 11:11 AM
Well, the heir of house Kato certainly represents the growth of a new character.

pwning doodes
2013-02-11, 08:33 PM
Nice one, Jay R.

KillianHawkeye
2013-02-13, 09:27 AM
Nice one, Jay R.

I'm sure you felt this comment was worth reviving a month-and-a-half-old thread for...?

Lvl45DM!
2013-02-14, 01:22 AM
A-parent-ly.

He must've felt that the joke wasn't (heir)apparent to everyone.

Not sure why you're taking issue with his comment.

From now on we'll make sure that if we're making or appreciating puns to give you a wide birth.

EDIT: OH ONE MORE!

But i thank you for this chance to clear the heir!