View Full Version : cost of living spell..

animewatcha
2012-12-23, 12:48 AM
Was there ever a cost associated with making one of these? Mainly asked for a portable renewable source of healing that wouldn't have to wand/item slot/spell slot every day. Like say a properly metamagic'ed cure light for out of combat healing.

dungeonnerd
2012-12-23, 12:58 AM
Was there ever a cost associated with making one of these? Mainly asked for a portable renewable source of healing that wouldn't have to wand/item slot/spell slot every day. Like say a properly metamagic'ed cure light for out of combat healing.

This will have to be Rule 0'd - there is no cost/creation listed, and the description in the book says that they are all remnants of the last great war. So, you'll have to discuss this with your DM - however, with enough skill I don't see why you couldn't do it.

I would venture a guess that if allowed there would be a feat investment, similar to the crafting line of feats, and the usage of a spell slot higher than what you want to create - perhaps +4 or +5.

Fates
2012-12-23, 01:04 AM
This will have to be Rule 0'd - there is no cost/creation listed, and the description in the book says that they are all remnants of the last great war. So, you'll have to discuss this with your DM - however, with enough skill I don't see why you couldn't do it.

I would venture a guess that if allowed there would be a feat investment, similar to the crafting line of feats, and the usage of a spell slot higher than what you want to create - perhaps +4 or +5.

If it were me, I'd make it an epic feat. Those things are a munchkin's wet dream, there, but by epic levels, everything's broken anyway.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-23, 01:31 AM
Wasn't there a PrC in an issue of dragon that had something to do with creating living spells?

Fates
2012-12-23, 01:34 AM
Wasn't there a PrC in an issue of dragon that had something to do with creating living spells?

I'm certain there was- or at least they got one as a cohort or familiar or something.

dungeonnerd
2012-12-23, 01:35 AM

Pg. 76, Dragon #357. Spell Sovereign. Gain a living spell familiar that gets more powerful, plus living spell goodies with 7/10 arcane casting.

Now to go hunting for that issue

EDIT: Found the relevant issue. Besides 7/10 arcane casting, the spell familiar is only up to 4th level. Can create other living spells from spells you cast as a standard action, they last a c#rounds (or later, #minutes) = PrC level, usable 1/2 PrC level times a day. At level 8 can summon living spells from multiple spells (as the template describes). Best part - at level 10 can cast Awaken Living Spell.

Worst effects: Loss of three casting levels. The "enhancing field" ups STR and AC of the living spell, but only slightly (+6STR +3AC at max level is piddling, at best). Can rebuke living spells, which you probably wont use much (but does qualify you for Divine Metamagic IIRC).

Neutral: Imprision a living spell to get usages out of what is made of. Downside - cannot use with your Create Living Spell ability, so if you are running into a lot of living spells this is great. If not, you're stuck not using this, unless you want to use it on your familiar.

My thoughts: Fun, but not in a game of more than medium OP. In any game, your most likely going to be using the familiar as a buff minion of some sort or (if you happen to have some divine casting) a heal-bot for after battles. The better usage is the Create ability which, while they only last a limited time, doesn't have the limit on spell level that the familiar does.

Obviously there is going to be ways to munchkin this, but the 7/10 arcane is the biggest issue IMO.