PDA

View Full Version : What Sorts of Toylines Would You Want To See MAde?

tbok1992
2012-12-23, 02:01 PM
Exactly what it says on the topic title, sort of like this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262860) but more manchild-y and specific.

Let me start out with my idea for a new post-apocalyptic IP Hasbro could make using old molds from earlier toylines by it and the companies it has acquired over the years:

The toyline would be called Junkers and take place in a post-apocalyptic world, created from a decade long war involving robots, biotech, orbital lasers, and oddly few nukes. The plot would involve the heroes travelling in their wheeled, weaponized gas-station with a Winnebego caravan of people trying to find the legendary Bright’s Heart, a place that is one half biosphere and one half military bunker meant as a self-contained paradice that they could use to build a new civilization upon. But the villains want it due to the fact that (Unknown to the heroes) it contains the controls for the dual satellite superweapons of Sodom and Gomorrah, each of the villains wanting it for their own reasons.

The figures would be as follows:
Heroes:

Saul Shroomcloud (made of various GI Joe parts, including the giant mutant arm of http://www.yojoe.com/action/04/venomousmaximus.shtml Venomous MAximus)- A simple, friendly man who runs the caravan seeking Bright’s Heart. He was born into the carvan as the son of it’s chief

Crazy Herschel (Made up of parts from several Star wars droids like C3PO, General Greivous and IG-88, with a new head)- A robot who fought in the war that ended the world, he’s patched himself together with the parts of so many other robots, that his head is all that remains of his old body, only running on spit, hope and the careful minstrations of Louise. His memory of the war is fuzzy due to the many, many bonks to the cranial processor during his operating lifespan, but he does remember that he was entrusted with an important state secret. He can’t quite remember what it is however. These glitches also tend to make him not the sanest bot in the world, with an illogical non-sequitur-y way of thinking. But, he is an excellent, albeit unorthodox, fighter, with a penchant for motorcycles and explosives. He worships a strange, patchwork mixture of Judaism and Norse Myth.

Lucky Louise (Made out of the parts of several female GI Joe figures with a new, eyepatched head) - A female scientist cryogenically interred before the war that ended the world, when awakened she spent most of the time going through the wasteland, cobbling together devices from junk to help her survive, and studying the various creatures that now inhabited the wasted world. She met up with the main group while hunting a particularly dangerous Devilsaurus, and decided to go with them in searching for Bright’s Heart, because she knew its creator before he was cryonically frozen and would like to see his last legacy. She’s the main technology expert in the caravan, and can fix just about anything she finds. She is clever, witty and takes absolutely no crap from anybody.

Villains:
Baron Ceasar (made from parts of Cobra Commander (Armored) and http://www.yojoe.com/action/05/overkill6.shtml Overkill with a new head)- Originally a secretary to the brutal dictator who helped initiate the war that caused the apocalypse, he became a visionary villain after the war, trying to keep his dictator’s ideals alive. The fact that his dictator’s ideals were horrfying and tyrannical does not occur to him, as that was all he knew before the war. He speaks with the conviction of an evangelist and would laugh if you called him a villain, for he does not do evil out of selfishness or malice, but because he thinks it is the right thing to do. He conquers his territories with his army of robots reproduced from blueprints from his dead civilization and of motley monsters, freaks and general Quislings, and slowly marches forward towards Bright’s Heart with many communities in his thrall for the purpose of claiming it for his glorious empire.

Betty Bomb (Made from the same parts as Lucky Louise with a new, eyeless head)- She was born with smooth, featureless flesh where her eyes should be. For this, she was shunned by her tribe as a monster, her parents being stoned to death for producing such a thing and was forced to live on the outskirts of the tribe, surviving on only scraps. So, when Baron Cesar destroyed her village and forced her tormentors into servitude, it was love at first sight. She ferverently asked to join his band of murderous marauders and, glad to see someone who so ferverently championed his cause, let her join. She’s since become his right hand woman, and she is madly in love with him, though he seems not to notice. She cannot actually see, but instead navigates via sonar. She also is bat**** crazy, and has a disturbing love for knives, swords and other stabbing implements.

The Czernobog Troopers (Made of parts of Action Masters Rad and Shockwave with a new head and the gun and robotic helmet and backpack from http://www.toyarchive.com/Transformers/ActionMastersTracks.html Action Master Tracks)- These massive machines are highly dangerous with a deadly laser on one arm and a chemical flamethrower on the other, as well as their companion “drones” that can merge with them for increased protection and added strength. They are quite intelligent and capable of great problem solving, but they completely lack free will, and are subservient to whoever holds the signaling device keyed to their voice. Cesar has an internalized version of the device, though it is odd that his master would put one in a mere secretary, hinting that Cesar may have been designed with a far more sinister purpose in mind.

Creatures:

Skunk Gigant (A repainted Monstro Viper with a bucket of slime)- Mutated from the once thought mythical American Skunk Ape, these creatures are vicious, social omnivores, pouncing upon caravans in packs. They are very loyal to each other, but are utterly brutal to anything not a Skunk Gigant. They exude a sickeningly odiferous slime/musk from their stomachs and can fling it at their enemies to stun them with its horrible stench while they go in for the kill.

Gnarlies (Repaints of the various http://toyarchive.com/RocklordsNarlies.html Narlies, in packs of 2)- Also known as “Sharks of the land”, these nasty nibblers are relentless in their pursuit of a meal, and can skeletonize an animal in seconds. If the swarm is large enough, they can even take down an Devilsaur, and indeed are the only thing that can eat the creature’s toxic flesh.

Runners (A repaint of http://toyarchive.com/STAForSale/NEW2001+/Ghostbusters/Ghosts/PullSpeedComplete2a.jpg The Real Ghostbusters Pull Speed Ahead)

Big Beasties:
Devilsaur (Repainted Jurassic Park Chaos Effect Ultimasaurus w/ a glow in the dark paint job)- The greatest terror weapon of the old war and now the apex predator of the wasted plains, this creature feeds on just about anything. These hideous amalgamations of glacier-extracted dinosaur DNA are nigh invulnerable, to the point where it takes a grenade to even make a scratch on their scaly hides. Even worse, these creatures are radioactive, and so they are deadly to touch and their meat is nigh useless.

Plant Lord (Repainted Inhumanoids Tendril) –A strange creature that forms from the subtle interplay of five seemingly unrelated species of plants and fungus that, when brought together in just the right conditions, form into this highly intelligent, vaguely humanoid being. They eat via photosynthesis, and actually make the ground more fertile wherever they lie due to the nitrogen fixing bacteria in its body and the debris that drops off of its carapace. These creatures are fiercely protective of their natural environments and their creatures, and will die to protect it from harm. They are mostly friendly to humans and other creatures, and will even allow them to take limited resources from their home. But cause significant harm to their neck of the woods, and you’re dead meat

Vehicles:
Buggy-Boo (Derived from http://toyarchive.com/STAForSale/NEW2001+/Ghostbusters/Vehicles/HighwayHaunter1a.jpg the Real Ghostbusters Highway Haunter, painted psychedelic colors) These mantis-like creatures were created as ambush weapons as the war went into its final days, meant to disguise themselves as old cars until the enemy came near them and they could strike with their wickedly sharp mandibles. They’ve managed to survive, even thrive, in the wasteland upon a diet of meat and metal. They are viciously predatory, but some people have managed to tame them via capturing an egg and letting the creature imprint on you. That is how Saul Shroomcloud found his, though he more stumbled upon the abandoned egg than deliberately searched for it. Each member of the species has a unique color, and Saul’s has a psychedelic color scheme (Which is better camoflauge than you’d think in the wasted cities).

Tyrant’s Chariot (Repainted from

The Wahoo Wheelie (A repainted http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/09/snarlercycle/ Snarler Cycle from GI Joe) Herschel’s bike, stolen from Baron Cesar’s Legions in one of his proudest moments. Herschel thinks of the bike as his girlfriend, and there may be a hidden AI in there that might reciprocate his affections if it were only working

BiblioRook
2012-12-27, 08:11 PM
Hasbro owns Nerf. Hasbro also happens to own Wizards of the Coast and by extension the Forgotten Realms. If there ever happens to end up some sort of Drizzt movie I will be really displeased if a line of N-Force foam scimitars and hammers *aren't made to go along with it.

t209
2012-12-27, 08:46 PM
Hasbro owns Nerf. Hasbro also happens to own Wizards of the Coast and by extension the Forgotten Realms. If there ever happens to end up some sort of Drizzt movie I will be really displeased if a line of N-Force foam scimitars and hammers made to go along with it.

And i wanted a LARP rules for Nerf Blade,and Nerf Guns. Think going in like space marines (Blade with Nerf Maverick, or Blade with Nerf Rifle like Space Wolves), or bayonet assault.

Mando Knight
2012-12-28, 12:38 AM
Hasbro owns Nerf. Hasbro also happens to own Wizards of the Coast and by extension the Forgotten Realms. If there ever happens to end up some sort of Drizzt movie I will be really displeased if a line of N-Force foam scimitars and hammers made to go along with it.

They also own Transformers. I would like to see an official Transformers RPG.

tbok1992
2012-12-28, 12:57 AM
YES! I want to see Transformers, GI Joe, Inhumanoids, and so on statted up for the inevitable 5e version of D20 Modern. Aside from the obvious coolness, the possibility of being able to put Unicron or D-Compose into one's D&D game without homebrewing is awesome!

Dr.Epic
2012-12-28, 10:19 AM

Yeah, that might be pretty cool. In fact, a live action Transformers film would be pretty cool too. Someone should make that.

Karoht
2012-12-28, 04:41 PM
Toys for girls that don't suck.
Actually, scratch that, I just want to see the distinction just not matter.
But hey, while we're wishing for things which will likely never exist...

Wreck-It Ralph toy lines haven't been too bad, though I am shocked at the lack of 'build your own sugar rush racer' kits. And given the 8-bit and 16-bit popularity uptick, why hasn't Lego cashed in yet? Lego was 8-bit before color tv's were a thing.

Megablocks World of Warcraft sets have been extremely good thus far.
Give us Starcraft Megablocks.
Portal Megablocks would be awesome!

Mando Knight
2012-12-28, 08:37 PM
the inevitable 5e version of D20 Modern.
It's not inevitable unless I missed an announcement... there wasn't an official 4e Modern (granted, that would've been a terrible idea outside of certain genres).

Megablocks World of Warcraft sets have been extremely good thus far.
Give us Starcraft Megablocks.
Portal Megablocks would be awesome!
...No.

...It might be just my brand loyalty speaking, but I'd rather have LEGO do all the things. (All of them)

Dave Halfbreed
2012-12-28, 08:46 PM
Toys of prehistoric mammals

The return of Dino-riders

GI Joe style historical warriors

Warhammer action figures

MLai
2012-12-29, 12:39 AM
Warhammer action figures
Well, there are Warcraft action figures... and they're pretty damn good.

tbok1992
2012-12-29, 02:02 PM
Toys for girls that don't suck.
Actually, scratch that, I just want to see the distinction just not matter.
But hey, while we're wishing for things which will likely never exist.

Actually, that was close to an idea I had. Since a lot of people complain about how the media doesn't encourage girls to get into Science enough, I had the idea of a space-opera based line for girls!

The main character's role in this setting would be done to make them both viable for action-oriented and social-oriented play. The aliens would weird and non-humanoid but not ugly or monstrous, perhaps designed by somebody like Nemo Ramjet or Wayne Barlowe, and the nitche of "Weird humanoids" would be filled by transhuman and cyborg characters.

They'd also come with little booklets not only detailing the backstory of the various characters, settings, races, accessories, vehicles, ect, but also detailing the science behind the various Sci-fi bits and what's being extrapolated upon to create the concepts behind the toys. Do ya think anybody'd buy that?

TheLaughingMan
2012-12-29, 03:38 PM
Care Bears' universe meets Cthulu mythos.

Bam. Instant money.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-30, 08:47 PM
Strong Bad action figures.

Karoht
2012-12-31, 09:44 AM
...It might be just my brand loyalty speaking, but I'd rather have LEGO do all the things. (All of them)
While I think that Megablocks is more likely to give us Starcraft and Portal stuff, I would prefer it also if Lego did it instead. I just think Megablocks is more likely to actually make it happen.

@Space-Opera for Girls
First question, is there an anime out there like that? Not relevant, just curious.
Second question. Stereotypes suck but they sell, for reasons I have yet to understand. Female toy lines and TV shows seem to orient typically around magic (MLP, Winx, Card Captors, Sailor Moon), where male toy lines and TV shows seem to orient around space, aliens, monsters, Sci-fy, martial arts. The question is not 'will it sell?' the question is 'is there interest from the demographic?' Truthfully, I would love to find out. Naturally, I'm not refering to 'is there enough to convince someone to produce' but merely, is there interest there. I am sincerely curious.
Third question. What makes 'space opera' a guy thing in the first place? Answer that and you might understand both demographics a bit better.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-31, 01:32 PM
Cthulhu action figure.

Kitten Champion
2013-01-02, 07:27 AM
While I think that Megablocks is more likely to give us Starcraft and Portal stuff, I would prefer it also if Lego did it instead. I just think Megablocks is more likely to actually make it happen.

@Space-Opera for Girls
First question, is there an anime out there like that? Not relevant, just curious.
Second question. Stereotypes suck but they sell, for reasons I have yet to understand. Female toy lines and TV shows seem to orient typically around magic (MLP, Winx, Card Captors, Sailor Moon), where male toy lines and TV shows seem to orient around space, aliens, monsters, Sci-fy, martial arts. The question is not 'will it sell?' the question is 'is there interest from the demographic?' Truthfully, I would love to find out. Naturally, I'm not refering to 'is there enough to convince someone to produce' but merely, is there interest there. I am sincerely curious.
Third question. What makes 'space opera' a guy thing in the first place? Answer that and you might understand both demographics a bit better.

Bodacious Space Pirates (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=11399) is, to a degree, a space opera oriented towards girls. Although Crest/Banner of the Stars (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=14) could also fill that role. Then there are space operas with bishonen characters and romantic themes designed to appeal to women, like Legend of Galactic Heroes and Tytania.

I don't think space operas are masculine by nature, merely the field traditionally lacks diversity. Speaking as someone who has read quite a bit of SF -- most of the marquee writers which define the genera were only capable of the most one dimensional female characterizations possible. I mean, nearing cardboard cutout territory. Feminist SF would try to counterweight this, but rarely achieved the mainstream. Moving beyond the rhetoric and into "enjoyable for all audiences" territory took some time.

There are female authors penning space operas these days without using pseudonyms and traditional masculine tropes. Elizabeth Moon, Catherine Asaro, Lois Bujold, and my personal favourite -- Justina Robson. Cherryh is also quite prolific. but I haven't gotten around to reading her works. Then there are men who can avoid gendered tropes, of course, but too many to list.

The interest is there, I think you only need the writing. I know as many women who love Star Trek, Firefly, Battle Star Galactica, or Doctor Who as men.

On the topic -- I want the Crossbow from Oddworld, and little stuffed figures to shoot as ammunition.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100622165904/oddworld/images/3/38/BowcasterConceptArt.jpg

Like this.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-01-02, 08:25 AM
Order of the Stick toys, naturally.

:elan: Sing-With-Me Elan! Press his tummy and he sings 5 different songs! Press his foot for nearly 30 quips and puns!

:haley: Haley Starshine doll! With brushable hair and working grappling gun!

:belkar: Belkar Bitterleaf action figure! With realistic stabbing action! (fake blood sold seperately)

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-02, 08:36 AM
Spaceballs. For the Flamethrowah!!! :smallwink:

Seriously though, I have a hard time coming up with any because I honestly feel there are TOO MANY toy lines already.

Terry Pratchet once joked about a toyline... A plush version of Death, a "My Little Binky" stable with Binky, of course, and so on... :smallbiggrin:

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-01-02, 02:43 PM
My Little Pony action figures with Friendship Grenades and Happiness Gatling Guns.

tbok1992
2013-01-09, 11:53 AM
Spaceballs. For the Flamethrowah!!! :smallwink:

Funny thing, George Lucas actually only okayed Spaceballs on the condition that they not make any merchandise for it. So yeah.

Traab
2013-01-09, 12:12 PM
My Little Mechanic line of toys. Basically, you get to build and play with several child friendly versions of things like cars, go carts, bikes, etc. I remember when I was a kid, I got this kit of plastic tubing that i got to put together and turn into a nice 4 wheeler I could roll all over the place. Darn thing could seat two kids and held together great. Even if this version was no more powerful than a power wheels it could be cool. A neat way to get your kid involved in building things and his first chance to work with electronics, even if its something as simple as plug part a into socket b.

Raimun
2013-01-10, 01:39 PM
I don't get this. Why would you even want toys?

The fact that I have a somewhat large collection of GW-miniatures has nothing to do with any of this, of course.

Melayl
2013-01-12, 12:50 PM
Lego He-Man. Castle Greyskull, Snake Mountain, Fright Zone, Eternian Palace, Wind Raider, Attack Track... All sorts of possibilities. Based off of the 2000X series, rather than the original.

"Realistic" dragon toys that are fully poseable. Always wanted something like that when I was a kid...

Tyrant
2013-01-16, 01:22 AM
Count me in on the LEGO everything band wagon. For some specific licenses/series: Mechwarrior (Mechs, Tanks, Infantry, all of it), Command and Conquer* (buildings and vehicles), Terminator (Terminators and humans, future war vehicles, factory final battle playsets), Zombie Apocalypse series** (zombies and survivors, battered/half ruined buildings and vehicles), Warhammer 40K (Infantry and Vehicles primarily, UCS/high end sets of the ships and extremely large vehicles/bases).

Beyond that, detailed and customizable Warhammer 40K action figures would also be nice. Basic figures with some customizing options along with sets of accessories to further customize. I don't play the game but the fully painted miniatures look great and I don't have the skill to duplicate that. And I would prefer them to be moveable and larger as well, so figures work better.

Star Wars figures that use the same joint system as the latest G.I.Joe figures would be nice.

D&D (though I more specifically mean Forgotten Realms) figures. Mainly the well known NPCs and novel characters, but if it somehow lasted long enough to warrant it then throw in some troop builder/mook types (Zhentarim soldiers, Harper Agents, etc).

If miniatures count, then make sets for published D&D adventures. The major NPCs and Villains of the adventure primarily.

*I never did understand how there didn't seem to be any licensed figures, board games, miniatures, whatever based on Command and Conquer. Unless I totally missed them.

**This one may be possible to make up at home right now between official figures of zombies and 3rd party pieces and weapons.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-01-16, 01:34 AM
I'd like to see an Arthurian toy line. Lancelot, Bors, Gawain, Merlin etc. Maybe they can even get real obscure and add knights like Sir Balin le Savage (The Knight of Two Swords)!

Forrestfire
2013-01-16, 01:41 AM
What I would love is a LEGO wargame, with a well-made, comprehensive rules and a good story behind it. Preferably tournament viable, too.

I'd totally play Warmachine if it were made of LEGOs. :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2013-01-19, 07:22 PM
Lego He-Man. Castle Greyskull, Snake Mountain, Fright Zone, Eternian Palace, Wind Raider, Attack Track... All sorts of possibilities. Based off of the 2000X series, rather than the original.

Either 2002 or 2004. Can't remember.

That said, original He-Man was pretty decent. Better than She-Ra, at any rate, where the writers seemed to have drained up the majority of their fantasy creativity on the first series (the only thing remotely original besides the main character and her steed was Seahawk and his crew and ship. And there's a reason I use the word "remotely").

On the main topic, I don't see any purpose to action figures. That said, if they took out the Rebirthing mechanism and just ignored the individual infantry classes (except for MAX units), I'd love to see a game by the Axis & Allies guys for Planetside 2. Just figure out exactly how much water is between continents (in case you don't just want to go through the warp gates; although given that the warp gates and instant action mechanics are just designed to speed up gameplay, I'd actually get rid of those too), and maybe use the Planetside 1 continents.

KnightDisciple
2013-01-19, 08:00 PM
What I would love is a LEGO wargame, with a well-made, comprehensive rules and a good story behind it. Preferably tournament viable, too.

I'd totally play Warmachine if it were made of LEGOs. :smalltongue:

Regular (http://brikwars.com/), or extra mech-y (http://mobileframezero.com/mfz/)?

Forrestfire
2013-01-19, 08:04 PM
Regular (http://brikwars.com/), or extra mech-y (http://mobileframezero.com/mfz/)?

Why did I not know these existed? O.O

I meant something more along the lines of a LEGO-sponsored one, with special kits for whatever world they designed it to be in, though.

KnightDisciple
2013-01-20, 01:30 AM
Why did I not know these existed? O.O

I meant something more along the lines of a LEGO-sponsored one, with special kits for whatever world they designed it to be in, though.

Sadly unlikely to happen.

I mean, there's the old Space stuff. There's Bionicle. There's the newer Star Wars and Superhero stuff, and some of the new Space stuff or Ninjago stuff. There was also a mech-centric line a couple years back.

These guys might end up a thing. (http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/5127)

As is this. (http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/638)

Anyways. I'd love to see it too, but I think it's a bit beyond what they like to do. Though, I dunno. A bunch of special-printed pieces that get replaced every couple of years might be right up their alley.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-20, 04:45 AM
Actually lego DID release a D&D themed board-game with multiple expansions so I disagree on the "Unlikely" part.

When Lego realizes that "something awesome + Some good rules= Tons of cash" then they will do it.

If they muster up the effort, and make a halfway decent ruleset they could make a ton of cash.

Lego is one of the most modular and fun things to use ever. I could imagine them releasing a Pirate ship, and then in a different set a robot spider walker, and then you could combine the two to create a pirate ship robot walker!