PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Magic Items You've Made?

Toy Killer
2012-12-23, 03:15 PM
So, I've been considering a Candle, that when lit, casts a magical darkness that the candle shines through, but nothing else. So, the party will walk into the room, with a faint flickering candle in the center. As they approach it, it goes out. A second later, the room lights up and reveals what's been haunting the darkness around them.

I figured if they take the candle, and I give the description correctly, they may figure it to be a candle of daylight or some such (Explaining why it shines in the magical darkness when nothing else did) for them to try to use it when they need daylight badly.

So, now I'm just fishing for more inspiration for unique or bizarre magic item ideas.

Need_A_Life
2012-12-23, 03:25 PM
Sounds like a variant item of No Light (BoVD) to me. Would make it rather cheap as well (~1,000gp market value).

A pocket watch of prestidigitation (sorry, Minor Wish) was my most memorable item with my old artificer character. Plenty of opportunity for style, but limited actual power.

Fates
2012-12-23, 03:30 PM
I once DM'd a game in which a gnome merchant sold the players some "prismatic gum," which, when chewed, would give certain small statistical bonuses, which would change every minute as the color of the gum changed. Turns out, it also turns your teeth brown and is highly addictive! Fun times were had by all.

AuraTwilight
2012-12-23, 03:54 PM
I once created an wondrous artifact that, after the group messed with it, discovered was basically a music player that takes encoded crystals.

The crystal in there by default was filled with Bon Jovi songs. The player proceeded to fight over ownership of it.

Loki_42
2012-12-23, 04:29 PM
I once made a pair of coconuts that when clapped together cast Mount.

NichG
2012-12-23, 05:50 PM
The most interesting was probably this one: a sword that would allow the user to cut imposed fates, curses, and the like, but in doing so would cause those things to manifest as a physical entity that would have to be defeated to truly lift the curse or fate. The hardest part to using it was identifying how dangerous the source of the curse or fate was, to decide whether or not you could really take on whatever you summoned.

There was also chainmail made of little exposed dimensional pockets woven together. Ranged attacks would have a chance of getting sucked into one of the pocket universes rather than hitting the wearer.

ericgrau
2012-12-23, 05:56 PM
One we found but not made was a flying toilet seat. You had to sit on it to activate it and it had poor maneuverability so it couldn't turn well in tight spaces. It had the additional drawback of making your legs tired after use which imposed penalties. Nobody wanted it so as the party dwarf I carried it. It got me out of a jam I was stuck in and into the next room. I was then forced to land and walk due to the sharp corner.

Toy Killer
2012-12-23, 07:57 PM
I just thought of an interesting idea of a variation of a wand of Produce Flame or summon elemental, but instead of a 'wand', a bag of flames that works kind of like the bag of tricks. You reach in and pull out a palpable flame, which can be thrown.

It would probably be useable without UMD, and would have charges, weather or not the players know that is up for grabs...

Qwertystop
2012-12-23, 09:10 PM
I just thought of an interesting idea of a variation of a wand of Produce Flame or summon elemental, but instead of a 'wand', a bag of flames that works kind of like the bag of tricks. You reach in and pull out a palpable flame, which can be thrown.

It would probably be useable without UMD, and would have charges, weather or not the players know that is up for grabs...

That's already an item in the MIC. You get different effects on a shared charge pool, sort of like the Healing Belt.

AuraTwilight
2012-12-23, 09:26 PM
The most interesting was probably this one: a sword that would allow the user to cut imposed fates, curses, and the like, but in doing so would cause those things to manifest as a physical entity that would have to be defeated to truly lift the curse or fate. The hardest part to using it was identifying how dangerous the source of the curse or fate was, to decide whether or not you could really take on whatever you summoned.

That's awesome. I might use this.

vasharanpaladin
2012-12-24, 12:10 AM
A perfectly valid one that nonetheless drew allegations of hax: potion of inflict [x] wounds. :smallbiggrin:

Darth Stabber
2012-12-24, 04:30 AM
A perfectly valid one that nonetheless drew allegations of hax: potion of inflict [x] wounds. :smallbiggrin:

How is that even remotely hax? Tomb tainted soul exists, plus there isn't a compelling reason why most undead couldn't chug one. Heck, half of the party I am currently running has the feat, and they have several potions of inflict.

My favorite item I have made was the angry weasel launcher. Combine 1 bag of tricks, 10/week rage spell, and a +1 heavy crossbow. You now have a weapon that launches angry weasels 10 times per week, trying to figure out what that would cost @will. I am also thinking about making a badgerpult, because what problems can't a badger solve?

Gildedragon
2012-12-24, 04:41 AM
My favorite magic item I've given is a bard's fancy scarf
A spool of endless rope, meets belt of many pockets, permanent endure elements and glammerweave
An eight pocketed reinforced scarf that can stretch to incredible lengths, allowing bards to escape from towers, and wear nothing but a dashing if gaudy accessory.

vasharanpaladin
2012-12-24, 05:04 PM
How is that even remotely hax? Tomb tainted soul exists, plus there isn't a compelling reason why most undead couldn't chug one. Heck, half of the party I am currently running has the feat, and they have several potions of inflict.

Because nobody in the party that found it stopped to think that there's no earthly reason a lich would have potions of cure on hand and, of course, blamed me when they killed their cleric with one.

ericgrau
2012-12-24, 05:07 PM
My former fisherman / half-troll cleric had a staff with protection from weaponized horticulture, due to his strong and often validated phobia of exploding pineapples. The staff also included summon big fish and summon bigger fish.

Gavinfoxx
2012-12-24, 05:32 PM
There's always a bigger fish!

Jack_Simth
2012-12-24, 05:33 PM
Because nobody in the party that found it stopped to think that there's no earthly reason a lich would have potions of cure on hand and, of course, blamed me when they killed their cleric with one.

Sure there is.
1) They were carried in by the last invaders, and he hasn't had time to properly dispose of them yet.
2) He has a few non-undead minions he might occasionally want to heal.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-12-24, 05:35 PM
The Everflowing Gravy Boat, a minor magical item, is the subject of a tourist attraction for a small rest-stop town in my campaign. Basically, it's an Everfull Mug on crack, only with gravy--no matter what orientation the Everflowing Gravy Boat has, it is always full to the brim with gravy (although gravy still flows from it normally if tipped). Great care is taken to ensure that the Everflowing Gravy Boat is never overturned or left tipped aside, as the last time this happened, there were disastrous consequences for the town.

Malimar
2012-12-24, 05:47 PM
I hand out a lot of bizarre items (and a lot of regular items with bizarre curses on them).

The one my party loves the most is their Bag of Infinite Muffins. (Exactly what it says on the tin: it always contains exactly one muffin, no matter how many muffins you take out.)

The item they've hated the most was probably the cursed Wand of Identify which functioned normally in all respects, except anything it was used to identify permanently turned bright pink. They got rid of that wand at the earliest opportunity.

Thiyr
2012-12-24, 07:09 PM
I hand out a lot of bizarre items (and a lot of regular items with bizarre curses on them).

The one my party loves the most is their Bag of Infinite Muffins. (Exactly what it says on the tin: it always contains exactly one muffin, no matter how many muffins you take out.)

The item they've hated the most was probably the cursed Wand of Identify which functioned normally in all respects, except anything it was used to identify permanently turned bright pink. They got rid of that wand at the earliest opportunity.

God, that muffin bag just reminds me of another player, playing a muffin-obsessed gnome wizard. Oh how we all hated that thing. Though a different game had the bag of infinite bacon, which was well received...even if nobody NEEDED to eat.

That said, same game I came up with a nifty trinket to sell to the rich and fancy, an orb that could cast prestidigitation, purely to light pipes, cigars, etc, in a fancy fashion, without risk of accidental burning of anything else.

Then there was the set of clothing that we picked up that improved ones ability to haggle. Granted, we had to take a bit of time to get it, seeing as the merchant wanted to make sure he could avoid being affected (Worked by way of smell, if I remember right.

Then, of course, the simple tophat of holding (Worn by a stage magician. He may have been a sorcerer, but those aren't the GOOD tricks).

Linkavitch
2012-12-24, 07:44 PM
The last session we had, my party managed to get a Drum of +2 Stealth. We ended up selling it.

vasharanpaladin
2012-12-24, 07:49 PM
Sure there is.
1) They were carried in by the last invaders, and he hasn't had time to properly dispose of them yet.
2) He has a few non-undead minions he might occasionally want to heal.

Focus on the "on hand" bit, shall we? The potion in question was found on the lich's body and immediately used to (attempt to) bring the cleric back to positive hit points.

The previous DM, mind, had apparently never once given them a potion that didn't heal or an item that was cursed. So yes, the potion of inflict light wounds did, in fact, come out of left field for this group. :smalltongue:

Jack_Simth
2012-12-24, 08:00 PM
Focus on the "on hand" bit, shall we? The potion in question was found on the lich's body and immediately used to (attempt to) bring the cleric back to positive hit points.

The previous DM, mind, had apparently never once given them a potion that didn't heal or an item that was cursed. So yes, the potion of inflict light wounds did, in fact, come out of left field for this group. :smalltongue:

What? You're going to trust the low-end minions to not simply top themselves off at the first opportunity? Those are expensive, and need to be handed out on an as-needed basis, not an as-wanted basis.

But yes: First thing you do with an unknown potion is take a minute to make a Spellcraft check to identify it.

vasharanpaladin
2012-12-24, 08:22 PM
What? You're going to trust the low-end minions to not simply top themselves off at the first opportunity? Those are expensive, and need to be handed out on an as-needed basis, not an as-wanted basis.

But yes: First thing you do with an unknown potion is take a minute to make a Spellcraft check to identify it.

And the only one who could do that was the one in straits dire enough to need the thing. :smallbiggrin:

hiryuu
2012-12-24, 08:45 PM

This is how I work all remove curse/disease spells just straight up. >_>

Anyway. SCP is a great place to steal magic item ideas (http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/main). So are song titles or band names; for added fun, don't even rename them and play the song when the players pick it up.

Keld Denar
2012-12-24, 10:10 PM
I introduced a simple +1 short bow that, whenever it hit and a 1 was rolled on the d6 for damage, it launched a 5d6 fireball centered on the target. It was uncomfortably warm for the party the first time it triggered...

drew2u
2012-12-25, 11:12 AM
We once had a jar of jam that, when spread on the edges of a door or lock, made it harder to open.

MrLemon
2012-12-25, 01:15 PM
I once had a nice little ring, that was forced on me by someone (i.e. stuck on my finger faster than I could object).

It was a dead magicians attempt to win the heart of his beloved via domination, and it kept here alive. Well, sort of alive anyways.
Mentioning that it was cursed seems redundant.
So We had a half-rotten, dead unkillable (she would just rise again a few hours later) woman following my character anywhere I went.

Fun times.

Arcanist
2012-12-25, 01:28 PM
The tome of lost idiocy! A corrupted version of the tome of clear thought. It granted the reader a -1 to -5 inherit penalty for every 2 weeks you read it. Unfortunately once you put the book down you forget what the contents are and believe that it is a Tome of clear thought upon seeing it. :smallbiggrin:

rweird
2012-12-25, 01:54 PM
The tome of lost idiocy! A corrupted version of the tome of clear thought. It granted the reader a -1 to -5 inherit penalty for every 2 weeks you read it. Unfortunately once you put the book down you forget what the contents are and believe that it is a Tome of clear thought upon seeing it. :smallbiggrin:

Reading it multiple times wouldn't give you an increased penalty though due to it being the same type of "bonus."

Arcanist
2012-12-25, 02:36 PM
Reading it multiple times wouldn't give you an increased penalty though due to it being the same type of "bonus."

The idiocy isn't that you are losing intelligence, it's that you are immediately forgetting what the book has done to you. You waste your life away reading a book with no knowledge. To add insult to injury the book detailed how the reader got in possession of the book and the last page had the number of times the reader read through it.

rweird
2012-12-25, 03:03 PM
The idiocy isn't that you are losing intelligence, it's that you are immediately forgetting what the book has done to you. You waste your life away reading a book with no knowledge. To add insult to injury the book detailed how the reader got in possession of the book and the last page had the number of times the reader read through it.

Ah, still magical tomes can not be identified unless you read them, so thinking it is a tome of clear thought would be a give away to smart adventurers (who have previously obtained magical tomes) or metagamers.

Story
2012-12-25, 03:14 PM
Ah, still magical tomes can not be identified unless you read them

Where does it say this? Seems like Identify Artificer's Goggles should work perfectly fine on them.

rweird
2012-12-25, 03:28 PM
Where does it say this? Seems like Identify Artificer's Goggles should work perfectly fine on them.

Yes, though just seeing it won't tell you what it is. I'm pretty sure it says "this tome is indistinguishable from any other magical tome until read." Though i might be misremembering.

Gavinfoxx
2012-12-25, 03:45 PM

Analyze Dwoemer to identify it as a cursed item without reading it, then. That's what it is for!

Jack_Simth
2012-12-26, 12:16 AM
No, Identify (and anything that works based on Identify) only has a 1% per caster level chance of noting a curse. An Artificer's Monocle has a caster level of 5, although it does say "as though you had cast", so it could be argued that it uses your caster level for the Identify.

So... no, not what you want to use as a general rule. You want Analyze Dweomer (and if you have more than six items to ID, it's cheaper to hire a casting of Analyze Dweomer than it is to use the Identify spell normally ... although things like the Artificer's Monocle, the Magic domain on a cleric-3, or a Cloistered Cleric change that).

Chess435
2012-12-26, 12:26 AM
We once had a jar of jam that, when spread on the edges of a door or lock, made it harder to open.

"Only one man would dare to give me the raspberry!" :smallbiggrin:

Arcanist
2012-12-26, 01:01 AM
Yes, though just seeing it won't tell you what it is. I'm pretty sure it says "this tome is indistinguishable from any other magical tome until read." Though i might be misremembering.

No, the book, when Identified registered as a Tome of Clear Thought. Without opening or picking it up, it looks like a regular old book with nothing special around it except for having it's aura altered from strong enchantment to strong evocation, when trying to detect the contents. using anything short of Analyze Dweomer to identify it registers it as a Tome of Clear Thought. I made it have an Achilles Heel to Analyze Dweomer because it is an incredibly powerful and useful Divination that almost NOBODY uses in an actual campaign and thus you are made apart of the Tome of Lost Idiocy (The Lost Idiocy being the fact you underestimated the power of a good Divination spell)

Analyze Dwoemer to identify it as a cursed item without reading it, then. That's what it is for!

Precisely :smallamused:

Sugashane
2012-12-26, 01:36 AM
We had a very chaotic group (players, not just the PCs) and we loved screwing with our DM. After killing a male red great wyrm one of our casters asked our fighter to cut the dragon's penis off.

He did. Afterwards we pushed it against the wall so it would be nearly perfectly straight. The wizards then cast flesh to stone on it, and we rigged pulleys to get it onto a wagon. After a bit of stoneworking (drilling) a wand of fireballs could seamlessly be put into the peehole of it. So yes, a dragon penis that was used as a battering ram and shot fireballs.

rweird
2012-12-26, 07:12 AM
No, the book, when Identified registered as a Tome of Clear Thought. Without opening or picking it up, it looks like a regular old book with nothing special around it except for having it's aura altered from strong enchantment to strong evocation, when trying to detect the contents. using anything short of Analyze Dweomer to identify it registers it as a Tome of Clear Thought. I made it have an Achilles Heel to Analyze Dweomer because it is an incredibly powerful and useful Divination that almost NOBODY uses in an actual campaign and thus you are made apart of the Tome of Lost Idiocy (The Lost Idiocy being the fact you underestimated the power of a good Divination spell)

Okay, I see what you mean now, though other party members noticing it not vanishing when read would be a giveaway (if the party is observant).

Still, it also would be given away by a mere cantrip, detect magic. Tomes of Clear Though have evocation (if miracle is used), probably universal if wish is used (though it doesn't say). You said to "except for having it's aura altered from strong enchantment to strong evocation." Considering normal Tomes of Clear Thought are evocation, i'm not sure why you said excepts. Could you explain?

Qwertystop
2012-12-26, 07:55 AM
We had a very chaotic group (players, not just the PCs) and we loved screwing with our DM. After killing a male red great wyrm one of our casters asked our fighter to cut the dragon's penis off.

He did. Afterwards we pushed it against the wall so it would be nearly perfectly straight. The wizards then cast flesh to stone on it, and we rigged pulleys to get it onto a wagon. After a bit of stoneworking (drilling) a wand of fireballs could seamlessly be put into the peehole of it. So yes, a dragon penis that was used as a battering ram and shot fireballs.

Pretty sure reptiles don't have those. Also, not a magic item.

Yajirobe
2012-12-26, 08:31 AM
Actually, I believe turtles and crocodiles do have it, and lizards have that... hook thing.

But I agree... Not a magical item.

Aasimar
2012-12-26, 08:46 AM
I once created 'The Antimatter Avenger' A sword from a parallel universe where the atoms have an opposite spin and charge.

When you detect it's enchantment, all you see is a +5 Holy Longsword. The magical field surrounding it provides enough of a barrier to avoid contact with air or with normal touching.

As soon as it is struck against normal matter hard enough to make actual contact with the metal of the blade, however. (up to DM discretion I suppose, but any critical hit or strike against a weapon or armor made of adamantium or carrying another +5 enchantment at least) the sword explodes in an annihilating reaction with the surrounding matter, as soon as it starts exploding, the magic field disappears, exposing the rest of the sword.

The resultant explosion would destroy/kill anything within about a mile radius.

Tokuhara
2012-12-26, 09:51 AM
We recently had an item that was a Necklace of Fireball that upon the command words being spoken (Burn Baby Burn), would cast a rainbow Enlarged Maximized Empowered fireball centered on the wielder. We eventually gave this to our Gish who had Fire Immunity and would charge into a mob and suicide bomb. Hilarious.

Zanthy1
2012-12-26, 11:55 AM
I took a wand of cure minor wounds (1hp/50charges) and added that it could turn any cup of water into hot tea, as many times as you wanted.

My housemate's brother came up with the "dagger of sifilis." It was a normal dagger, that on a successful hit would heal 1d6 damage. What he did with it was as follows:

Went into a shop, showed the storekeeper that as he stabbed himself, the wound healed immediately. The storekeeper was amazed, asked, "What do you want for it?" He replied, "How about that magical crossbow on the top of that shelf behind you?" The storekeeper proceeded to turn around and climb up a ladder to get the crossbow, while he sleight of handed the special dagger with a normal dagger (they both looked identical). He then traded the normal dagger for a +2 Heavy Crossbow.

Its not over though! The next part of the quest involved a small boy having a heart attack, (induced by a evil curse) just outside the shop as he left. The storekeeper ran out to see what the commotion was about, saw the kid in trouble, ran inside to grab his magical healing dagger, and then stabbed the small boy repeatedly. Since the dagger was just a normal one, not magical, the poor child was killed. The guards took him away.

Later that night this guy comes back with his party and robs the vacant store blind.

Story
2012-12-26, 11:58 AM
No, Identify (and anything that works based on Identify) only has a 1% per caster level chance of noting a curse. An Artificer's Monocle has a caster level of 5, although it does say "as though you had cast", so it could be argued that it uses your caster level for the Identify.

So... no, not what you want to use as a general rule. You want Analyze Dweomer (and if you have more than six items to ID, it's cheaper to hire a casting of Analyze Dweomer than it is to use the Identify spell normally ... although things like the Artificer's Monocle, the Magic domain on a cleric-3, or a Cloistered Cleric change that).

According to my calculations, a Wizard 5/ Divine Oracle 1 has a roughly 85% chance of identifying a cursed item each day if you use all your slots. And thanks to Spontaneous Divination, you can use all your left over slots at the end of each day while adventuring. So, yes you can detect cursed items pre-Analyze Dwoemer if you're patient enough.

It was a normal dagger, that on a successful hit would heal 1d6 damage.

There actually is an item like this already. It's used by followers of Pelor to detect undead the hard way (if they aren't undead, they'll hopefully heal back the damage you just did by randomly attacking them, so no hard feelings, right?).

Arcanist
2012-12-26, 01:36 PM
Okay, I see what you mean now, though other party members noticing it not vanishing when read would be a giveaway (if the party is observant).

Still, it also would be given away by a mere cantrip, detect magic. Tomes of Clear Though have evocation (if miracle is used), probably universal if wish is used (though it doesn't say). You said to "except for having it's aura altered from strong enchantment to strong evocation." Considering normal Tomes of Clear Thought are evocation, i'm not sure why you said excepts. Could you explain?

The spell Magic Aura is used on the book (during creation) to make it appear as if it had the same magical aura as a Tome of Clear Thought. The book doesn't use Wish for it's creation, It uses Feeblemind instead making it's aura Strong Enchantment instead of Strong Evocation. Thinking back, I probably could have just made it with a Wish and made it harder to detect though I suppose :smalltongue: Also, Tomes of Clear Thought are only Evocation if Miracle is used for it's creation.

At the table I played at the party were all Spellcasters with SAD-Int and finding a Tome of Clear Thought would have made anyone at the table really happy :smalltongue: but instead they found a Tome of Lost Idiocy. They all fought over who would get to use it and they all killed each other over it, One person actually suggested they use Analyze Dweomer, but he was called called dumb and died first. I swear, most people on the boards only talk about Rocket tag, but these guys? They actually almost killed each other using Celerity into time stops, into gates and so on and so forth just in an attempt to read from a book... When all was said and done the last guy standing was a StP Erudite... Needless to say he was FURIOUS when I told him what the contents of the book was and that the guy who suggested they use Analyze Dweomer on it they laughed and laughed and laughed... :smalltongue: Except for the Erudite that never came back to the table ever again... I don't really blame him really, anyone would be pissed off by that... :smallfrown:

rweird
2012-12-26, 02:36 PM
The spell Magic Aura is used on the book (during creation) to make it appear as if it had the same magical aura as a Tome of Clear Thought. The book doesn't use Wish for it's creation, It uses Feeblemind instead making it's aura Strong Enchantment instead of Strong Evocation. Thinking back, I probably could have just made it with a Wish and made it harder to detect though I suppose :smalltongue: Also, Tomes of Clear Thought are only Evocation if Miracle is used for it's creation.

Okay, that makes sense.

Fyermind
2012-12-26, 07:39 PM
There was the Music Box of Anger my ex created for a game she ran.

When opened, the Music Box of Anger played eerie music and made everyone within earshot very irritable and desire the box (suggestion on everyone within earshot). If damage was dealt to or by anyone who was under the suggestion effect, everyone immediately was thrown into a rage as the spell, and hit by the suggestion effect again, this time including that in order to keep the music box, they would need to kill everyone around it.

Anyone currently possessing or touching the box had a +5 attack and damage bonus to protect the box if you could hear it playing.

Finally, if you had possessed or touched the music box you were bound by a lesser geas to get it back.

It lead to fun times and lots of abuse by the players. Everyone but the tank wore earplugs since we didn't have anyone who used verbal components in their spells.

Ninja PieKing
2012-12-27, 10:01 PM
Decanter of endless chocolate milk

TuggyNE
2012-12-27, 10:14 PM

That's not bizarre, that's just useful! :smalltongue:

Arcanist
2012-12-28, 12:32 AM

The greatest invention of the modern era.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-12-28, 01:59 AM
A recurring item in our early D&D campaigns back when my brother, his friend and me were ridiculous middle-schoolers, was the half-orc "fashion" magazine. Initially a mundane item written as a joke into the inventory of my brother's friend's character, Sir B*tchsmacker, this item quickly took on a life and magic of its own as subsequently made characters seemingly kept finding it in their packs.

The magazine's apparent enchantment was that anyone who read it was immediately forced to make a Will save. If they failed, they were so traumatized by the images of scantily-clad half-orc women that they would immediately fall backwards down the stairs. The magic of this was that no matter where you were, even if you were outside or something, there would somehow always be a flight of stairs right behind you to fall down. Someone read it once in the middle of a desert, and fell backwards down the stairs that weren't there a moment ago, prompting us to explore the hidden dungeon at the bottom full of giant scorpions the magazine had apparently revealed for us.

The other bizarre item was not even magical. It was an alcoholic beverage called "Mishmush" or known more by its common name, "The Good Stuff." It was introduced in a jug that had X's on it like the traditional cartoon moonshine jug. But whereas those jugs tend to have 3 X's, this jug had a spiral of hundreds of little X's on the bottom. Basically a Pan-Galactic Gargle-Blaster on steroids, "The Good Stuff" didn't even allow you a Fortitude save. One sip, and you were instantly drunk to the point of passing out.

willpell
2012-12-28, 02:12 AM
So far I think my only real homebrew item (apart from reskinning a Cloak of Charisma into a girdle or a sparkly amulet, and similar minor tweaks) is the Intelligent Item I came up with for a character who was meant to be entirely based around it - a Bracers of Protection +1. That was terrified of anyone taking it off. Even though it is nowhere near enough protection for virtually anyone. The base item is not new, but I had a lot of fun picking out its minor powers and creating a wordless "personality" for it based on its fear of abandonment.

Arcanist
2012-12-28, 02:26 AM
The magazine's apparent enchantment was that anyone who read it was immediately forced to make a Will save. If they failed, they were so traumatized by the images of scantily-clad half-orc women

Now the odd thing is, is that for me, I wouldn't find that item a curse. I would actually find it pretty attractive (but I honestly just believe this to be years of being desensitized from the Internet or maybe I'm a pervert), but I'd rather not delve into the realms of my SuperEgo (or any other part of my Psyche for that matter) on a forum that I frequent :smallannoyed:

Love the idea of the item though, just might not work on a Human (or an Orc for that matter) :smallamused:

alchemyprime
2012-12-28, 02:33 AM
Spoiler for content maybe?

I had a (female) player beg for an item for her character.

They were studs that, when pierced through the nipples of one with ample cleavage, made the space there in into a small Bag of Holding.

I'm not proud of that day.

Plaguemask
2015-05-29, 07:17 AM
Sword of Unrelenting Thrusting.
It was a Greatsword +2 for our party's (I think It was a fixed version of Soulknife, can't remember.) that upon critting, kept attacking like a Jackhammer.
Suffice to say, my party was confused as to why our Soulknife was stabbing the already-dead Golem fifty times in the face after failing his Strength checks to pull it out, and his Will Save to disable it.

Unseenmal
2015-05-29, 07:21 AM
Holy Necromancy, Batman!

ellindsey
2015-05-29, 09:07 AM
While exploring ruins of an abandoned dwarven fortress, in the prison, my players came across an apparently-cursed magic ring. The ring was a modified Ring of Sustenance, which would prevent the wearer from dying or suffering any permanent harm from starvation or thirst, but would not prevent them from feeling the effects of hunger otherwise. It also could not be removed without a command word.

It was only after the party had puzzled over, worn, uncursed, and eventually sold the ring that I pointed out the original purpose of the ring: to punish a prisoner who had gone on a hunger strike.

Necromancy
2015-05-29, 09:24 AM
Holy Necromancy, Batman!

Huh? I didn't say anything about Batman

frost890
2015-05-29, 04:44 PM
I made a ruby skull. With the help of some dwarves I captured one of the enemy generals. Apparently some of the players think you are evil when you strip there soul and put it in a crystal skull. But it allowed me access to knolage skills and the occasional sorcery spell. As an added bonus a player that likes to mess with the rest of the party left my charecter alone. (He was the only one to find out what I did.)

Odin's Eyepatch
2015-05-29, 06:12 PM
I once made a 'Rod of Useful Advice', which was a crystal rod with a liquid inside filled with letters. One only had to shake the rod and ask a question, and the letters would arrange themselves to form an answer.

The thing is, the rod was faulty! Every time the party used it, I would roll a d100 to see how 'useful' the advice was. The higher the value, the more useful the advice. Obviously the PCs didn't know what I rolled, so it was hilarious watching them figure out if the advice was either very cryptic, or just plain wrong :smallbiggrin:

Ruethgar
2015-05-29, 06:17 PM

Just had an idea. Raspberry Jam (http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/89/896b055bcfc03c91309265052d749a7e4ef72db4e04038ee7b 9a8182fcc35a08.jpg) splash weapon that prevents the primary target from casting divinations and the secondary targets take a -5 CL on divinations until they take a full round to remove it.

Milo v3
2015-05-29, 08:04 PM
I made computers by enchanting a book with silent image as a holographic interface and detect magic to sense for specific versions of spell schools that touch the surface of the illusion.

Then people have gloves with Magic Aura spells that can change what school of magic energy they give off on a special "frequency" that the book item thing is meant to detect, which then causes an arcane mark enchantment to edit the book accordingly. Since the silent image is displaying information based on the contents the book, this updates the interface instantaneously. This allows the wearer to interact with the books through the holographic display.

Haruki-kun
2015-05-30, 11:42 PM
The Winged Mod: I'm going to close this thread due to Thread Necromancy, but if anyone here wants to start a new thread to discuss this, please feel free to go ahead and do so.