PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Feats used by DM

Techwarrior
2012-12-23, 08:58 PM
Tactical feats, to those who are unaware, grant larger bonuses than normal. This is balanced by having the bonuses not be passive, but something that you have to work to get. The feats typically give three specific methods of granting different temporary benefits. A couple of examples are the infamous Elusive Target and Shock Trooper.

When the player uses these feats, it is suggested that they inform the DM that they are working for a specific Tactical Feat's benefit, which one that is, and how they fulfill it.

My questions:
Should the DM inform the players when an NPC is working towards a specific tactical feat?
Is there something in character the PC would notice?
In other 'active' feats, like Dodge, is there something noticeable?
How do you handle this at the table?
In the case of Elusive Target, specifically the Negate Power Attack option, should the character notice that their Power Attack damage was negated?

Phaederkiel
2012-12-23, 09:14 PM
I would let my players make martial lore checks, if they have it.
Perhaps there is some other knowledge that would be aproproiate.
Else, wisdom or int checks could be in order.

if a character has that feat, he should know instantly.

If he has seen it used before, make those checks easier.

Runestar
2012-12-23, 10:33 PM
Given that the player rolls for damage, why would he not notice that his power attack damage is not getting applied?

I don't see the need to inform the party, usually, they should be able to infer that something is amiss and (hopefully) adjust their tactics accordingly.

Or perhaps we can have some concrete examples?

Fates
2012-12-23, 10:41 PM
Tactical feats, to those who are unaware, grant larger bonuses than normal. This is balanced by having the bonuses not be passive, but something that you have to work to get. The feats typically give three specific methods of granting different temporary benefits. A couple of examples are the infamous Elusive Target and Shock Trooper.

When the player uses these feats, it is suggested that they inform the DM that they are working for a specific Tactical Feat's benefit, which one that is, and how they fulfill it.

My questions:
Should the DM inform the players when an NPC is working towards a specific tactical feat?
Is there something in character the PC would notice?
In other 'active' feats, like Dodge, is there something noticeable?
How do you handle this at the table?
In the case of Elusive Target, specifically the Negate Power Attack option, should the character notice that their Power Attack damage was negated?

Don't let the players know what feat the person is using. That'll just throw them into metagaming, and make the enemies too predictable. Try to give a players an idea of what the NPC is doing, and so might proceed to do, without explicitly saying what he is going to do.

only1doug
2012-12-24, 03:22 AM

I'd certainly mention something like "your attack did not seem to be as effective as you were expecting" or "Your blow did not land solidly against your enemy".

Chilingsworth
2012-12-24, 04:06 AM
Some of the effects of tactical feats (and feats similiar to tactical feats) are blatantly obvious:

Elusive Target: You and the rogue set up a flank on the foe. You swing as hard as you can. Your first attack misses the guy and guts the rogue.

Robiliar's Gambit (yeah, I know: not a tactical feat): You swing at the guy. He's surprisingly easy to hit, but then smacks you.

Shock Trooper: The guy charges you, hitting harder than you've ever been hit before. Then, even though he's covered in armor, you hit him more easily than a training dummy. (Ok, first you have to survive his charge...)