PDA

View Full Version : A Bodyguard

TechnOkami
2012-12-23, 09:39 PM
I have an idea for a character, though I'm not too sure how exactly I'm going to go about it.

What would be a good class for a bodyguard/mentor kind of character for a princess of marrying age?

D4rtagnan
2012-12-23, 09:43 PM
lock-down crusader....your not going anywhere bro.

TechnOkami
2012-12-23, 09:44 PM
lock-down crusader....your not going anywhere bro.

ToB can't be used. I would be tempted to use it otherwise, but alas, I can't. :/

Amidus Drexel
2012-12-23, 09:44 PM
Well, almost any class could make a decent bodyguard. I could see a cleric bodyguard, a rogue bodyguard, and even a warlock bodyguard (ok, that's a bit of a stretch). Could you tell us a little more about this character?

HunterOfJello
2012-12-23, 09:47 PM
Cleric/Fighter

Knight(!!!)

Paladin (lame)

Fighter/Rogue (attacks em fast and hard before they get a chance to hurt anyone)

Imperious Command Samurai (intimidate the freak out of anyone that comes near)

~

knight or fear samurai are probably best

TechnOkami
2012-12-23, 09:49 PM
Well, almost any class could make a decent bodyguard. I could see a cleric bodyguard, a rogue bodyguard, and even a warlock bodyguard (ok, that's a bit of a stretch). Could you tell us a little more about this character?

I'm basically just fishing for ideas atm. Samurai sounds awfully fitting.

Amidus Drexel
2012-12-23, 09:52 PM
I'm basically just fishing for ideas atm. Samurai sounds awfully fitting.

Unless you want the specific build (I believe it was Shneeky the Lost's), you probably should just take a different melee build and fluff him as a Samurai. CW's samurai class is pretty weak.

TechnOkami
2012-12-23, 09:59 PM
Unless you want the specific build (I believe it was Shneeky the Lost's), you probably should just take a different melee build and fluff him as a Samurai. CW's samurai class is pretty weak.

Hm... then I guess my next question would be how to make a good non-ToB Melee build with perhaps a dip or two into the CW Samurai.

Wyntonian
2012-12-23, 10:11 PM
I'd say start with Zhentarim Fighter, with that one armor enhancement I can't remember (Fearsome?) and the Never Outnumbered skill trick and the Imperious Command feat. That would let you intimidate everyone in melee range as a move action, making them cower for one round. It's a pretty powerful combo, but it's useless against anything mindless or immune to fear.

Coidzor
2012-12-23, 10:23 PM
I'd say start with Zhentarim Fighter, with that one armor enhancement I can't remember (Fearsome?) and the Never Outnumbered skill trick and the Imperious Command feat. That would let you intimidate everyone in melee range as a move action, making them cower for one round. It's a pretty powerful combo, but it's useless against anything mindless or immune to fear.

IIRC, Zhentarim Fighter doesn't need the Fearsome armor property after certain level as it gets swift action demoralizing. Granted, if one has any use for immediate actions that might still leave the move action method as a potentially useful backup.

Horizon Tripper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415) might be worth considering, since you are ToBless.

The Viscount
2012-12-23, 10:28 PM
I'd second the suggestion of Knight. It might not be as fight-ending as fear based shutdown characters, but it is a decent battlefield controller if used correctly.

Fates
2012-12-23, 10:29 PM
No, no...stay away from the samurai, please. That poor princess will be dead before she even gets to the altar. He'll probably accidentally hit her with his katana, then undergo sepukku. No, if you want something samurai-like, just go with a fighter or something with the appropriate feats. A knight would work well, as they're a decent enough class who focus very heavily on single combat and protecting their allies. The only issue is that the knight puts honour first, possibly even above the princess' safety, and has a code of honour that would demand that, for example, it not attack an unarmed, flat-footed, or unfed opponent.

Runestar
2012-12-23, 10:38 PM
A tripping fighter then. You can google for the 'Jack be quick' build. :smallsmile:

Basically, it's a TWF'ing fighter who combines robilar's gambit and karmic strike to get 2 AoOs whenever an opponent hits him, and each AoO affords him 3 attacks (2 from double-hit, 1 from improved trip), for a total of 6 attacks for every 1 made by the enemy.

If that's too flashy, you could use a spiked chain, though personally, if I were the king, I wouldn't trust my daughter to a guy with a penchant for swinging a barbed chain about. :smalltongue:

TopCheese
2012-12-23, 10:44 PM
There is a bodygaurd prestige class in 3.0 "Sword and Fist" that looked interesting... Though I haven't read that book in a year or so...

It actuallly gave you some class fearures to be a bodyguard but from what I remember it wasn't anything fantastic.

It is a shame ToB isn't allowed, the one thing that let's melee easily do what melee should do seems to get banned a lot :(

Amidus Drexel
2012-12-23, 10:45 PM
I know there are a few lockdown builds that use Stand Still. That would be a good feat for you to look at. If you go that route (or tripping), you'll want some ways to increase your reach; I'd suggest a permanent item of enlarge person (or lots of potions (or just find a way to cast it/get someone to cast it for you)) and a reach weapon (If you're tripping, get a spiked chain).

Horizon Tripper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415) might be worth considering, since you are ToBless.

You took what I was going to say.

Averis Vol
2012-12-23, 11:00 PM
Check drow of the underdark. there are feats in there meant for a male drow (normally a fighter) to protect his female priestess, they sound almost perfect for this even if they are a bit weak.

If you want the samurai them, you could go fighter/ranger into Kensai, then just make your signature weapon a Katana and use mithril Lamellar armour (or darkleaf/shadow silk if its leather, dunno, afb) and go to town.

hope some of this gives you some ideas.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-23, 11:15 PM
There is a bodygaurd prestige class in 3.0 "Sword and Fist" that looked interesting... Though I haven't read that book in a year or so...

It actuallly gave you some class fearures to be a bodyguard but from what I remember it wasn't anything fantastic.

It is a shame ToB isn't allowed, the one thing that let's melee easily do what melee should do seems to get banned a lot :(

Devoted defender
The DD gets an AC boost. He also gets to interpose himself between his charge and the attacker, I think 1/encounter. And he gets a chance to take an AOO against anyone who attacks his target.

Updated forms of JackBQuick do this very well.
You hit the enemy for moving. You hit him for attacking you. And hit him for ignoring you to hit your charge.
Here's the basics of it as I put them together (someone probably has a better version). Sadly it requires ToB, so perhaps save it for later.
Character is a lockdown gish type (or uses items for invisibility on himself and his charge)

So he'll frequently be using Improved Invisibility+Spectral Skirmisher (PHB2). Defensive Rebuke (ToB maneuver). Doublehit(Mini?) And Thicket of Blades and Rapid Counter (maybe).

Defensive Rebuke, if I attack someone and they don't attack me, I get an AOO.
Thicket of Blades. If they move within my reach, I get an AOO.
Spectral Skirmisher. If they attack my square, I get an AOO. If I hit with the AOO, they know which square I'm in. Some trade offs, oh well.
Doublehit. When I wield 2 weapons and make an AOO, use both at the cost of a single AOO.

Two weapon fighting with spinning swords (secrets of sarlona) so I'll have reach.
Double hit will let me use one AOO attempt to hit with both weapons.
Dragon Magazine has a few feats that let me use secondary and tertiary attacks on an AOO, at the cost of an additional AOO attempt.
**6th level fighter with those feats, could get an attack at +6, and an attack at +1 for a single provoking attempt. If he's got doublehit, he should make 4 attacks for just 2 attempts.

The Viscount
2012-12-24, 02:36 AM
A bodyguard build could also do well with a few levels of marshal and tactical soldier. Both mesh with knight fairly well.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-12-24, 02:49 AM
Is homebrew allowed? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6488494&postcount=18)

TechnOkami
2012-12-24, 02:55 AM
Is homebrew allowed? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6488494&postcount=18)

Some is, but I don't think it's open to homebrew necessarily. Nice class though.

Juntao112
2012-12-24, 03:42 AM
When the President is threatened, for example, their primary concern is to get the President out of harm's way, not to murder the people threatening him.

The best bodyguard would be one who has the awareness skills to spot danger and the ability to remove the princess from it, such as teleportation. Perhaps a bard?

JaronK
2012-12-24, 06:13 AM
A body guard should be extremely perceptive, yet unobtrusive. How about a Necropolitan Factotum X/Mindbender 1 with Mindsight and Lifesense? He can easily disguise himself to blend in anywhere, and with his ability to see everyone else glowing, plus mentally scan the area for threats, he instantly sees through disguises and spots assassins long before they ever get close.

Plus, such a character could be smart enough to be a good mentor as well. And as a Necropolitan, the King doesn't have to worry about him trying to sleep with the princess (or sleeping on the job).

JaronK

Vaz
2012-12-24, 10:20 AM
Dragonborn or Wood Armoured Warforged Druid.

It never needs to Eat or Sleep, amd can take the form of Cutesy little Puppy/kitten

"awww look at widdle pwincess wid he cute widdle pup/kitt... aaahhhhhhhh DIRE TIGER GET IT OFF ME GET IT OFF ME"

Throw in a few levels of Beastmaster for some scouting cats/rats/birds which can spend their time innocuously lurking around without being too suspicious andnthey can spy. Who'll be surprised when a bird/rat/cat scurries off when they approach?

Metahuman1
2012-12-24, 10:33 AM
Either just a straight classed DMM Cleric or Natural Spell Druid should do fine with the right spells.

Hate to point you in that direction, but it get's the job done and doesn't need ToB.

Having said that, your DM is a fool for banning that, maybe one of these high powered T1 classes can get it across to him.

TechnOkami
2012-12-24, 11:15 AM
Having said that, your DM is a fool for banning that, maybe one of these high powered T1 classes can get it across to him.

I'm more than sure he'd have words to say if he were reading this (I hope he's not...) but he does have valid reasons, surprisingly.

Also, two big things I forgot to mention:

a.) He sets challenges as per the player's power, beaning you could effectively be a full lvl 20 CW Samurai and etch out a living for yourself.

b.) It seems that somebody has already put heavy stock into the idea of a bodyguard for a rather specific princess, so it looks like this bodyguard idea is for naught, sadly.

Vaz
2012-12-24, 12:30 PM
There's an official bodyguard, but the best bodyguard is one that the protectee doesn't know about; or of course you could always steal the princess away; the kitten/pooch already has her heart.

Coidzor
2012-12-24, 04:26 PM
a.) He sets challenges as per the player's power, beaning you could effectively be a full lvl 20 CW Samurai and etch out a living for yourself.

What, is this a solo game then? Otherwise how is he able to do the impossible and balance things for a party with a competently played fullcaster and a CW Samurai that isn't Takahashi no Onisan? :smallconfused:

TechnOkami
2012-12-24, 04:30 PM
What, is this a solo game then? Otherwise how is he able to do the impossible and balance things for a party with a competently played fullcaster and a CW Samurai that isn't Takahashi no Onisan? :smallconfused:

Sandbox with mostly solo stuff. Occasionally other PC's get together, and I'm not 100% sure how he handles it.

A_S
2012-12-25, 01:15 PM
If you feel like something weird and different, check out OMG PONIES' Dr. Milo Brushscrubber (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9208735&postcount=95) for some cool ideas. The key "bodyguard" trick is using the Good Karma feat to redirect attacks toward yourself with a whole lot of luck rerolls.

dspeyer
2012-12-25, 03:29 PM
For a princess? A monk :-)

Seriously, though, if you want to do the violent thing, (urban) ranger is probably your best bet. That way you can max out spot, listen, sense motive and other skills that will help you know when trouble is coming. You can also carry a wand of clw just in case. Maybe you can even take Favored Enemy (royal assassins).

An actually more effective protection might be a beguiler. At the first sign of trouble, the princess becomes invisible. Or surrounded by a dozen illusory copies. This is more effective than fighting, because an attacker can't just tumble past you and stab her.

And whatever you do, make sure you can't be easily dominated. As assassination strategies go, that's just painful.