PDA

View Full Version : I need help on creating pathfinder druid

about50heavies
2012-12-23, 09:52 PM
I am going to play in a pathfinder campaign as druid at level 1. Is this a good set up:
Race: human
Str:16 Dex:14 Con:14 Int:17 Wis:18 Cha:15
Weapon spear 1d8 damage
Feats toughness, ?
Armor: medium hide armour
Spells
Lvl 0
Detect Magic, virtue, resistance, Stabilize
Lvl 1
Entangle, Magic Fang, summon nature ally 1, good berry

What can I do to make it better

about50heavies
2012-12-24, 08:54 PM
Come on isn't there some way to make my druid better

avr
2012-12-24, 09:11 PM
Better at what? Some design goal or intent would help. Front line, or summoning focused, or whatever. Can you use anything PF or are you limited in books usuable?

The Eagle Shaman archetype gives you flight from level 2 which is handy. The Feather subdomain goes nicely with it.

Unless you're using rolled stats in order, you probably want to swap INT with DEX or CON.

Spuddles
2012-12-24, 09:13 PM
Get a wolf companion with barding.

Don't prepare summon nature's ally spells because you can cast those spontaneously.

Prepare a magic fang spell for incorporeal foes.

about50heavies
2012-12-24, 09:52 PM
Better at what? Some design goal or intent would help. Front line, or summoning focused, or whatever. Can you use anything PF or are you limited in books usuable?

The Eagle Shaman archetype gives you flight from level 2 which is handy. The Feather subdomain goes nicely with it.

Unless you're using rolled stats in order, you probably want to swap INT with DEX or CON.

For me I plan to be sorta a jack of all trades druid. My DM will allow anything in pathfinder that is not too op

about50heavies
2012-12-24, 09:53 PM
Get a wolf companion with barding.

Don't prepare summon nature's ally spells because you can cast those spontaneously.

Prepare a magic fang spell for incorporeal foes.

What is barding exactly

Paulcynic
2012-12-24, 10:03 PM
I think you will really like Trantmonk's guide to druids. Google it to find the link. He'll help you get the most out of any/all build options.

about50heavies
2012-12-24, 10:14 PM
What other feats/spelss should i consider

Ryulin18
2012-12-24, 10:22 PM
Str:16 Dex:14 Con:14 Int:17 Wis:18 Cha:15

Jesus! What point buy are you running?! :smallconfused: That's 57 point buy!

Any character will be a god with those stats to begin with. Do whatever you want! :smallsmile:

about50heavies
2012-12-24, 10:28 PM
Jesus! What point buy are you running?! :smallconfused: That's 57 point buy!

Any character will be a god with those stats to begin with. Do whatever you want! :smallsmile:

My friend I am really lucky with dice rolls for stats

Spuddles
2012-12-25, 12:36 AM
pay 2x cost of armor, put it on your animal companion.

Hide coat barded spinosaurus at level 1 with light armor proficiency has 18 AC, 18 str, and 2 attacks.

Karoht
2012-12-25, 09:19 AM
Shillelagh is an awesome 1st level spell, as it gives you a free +1 weapon that deals 2D6. That's huge at 1st level. If someone casts Enlarge Person on you, or if you buy yourself a few potions of Enlarge Person, that damage scales up even further.

Produce Flame gives you reliable ranged attack or melee touch attack. It is excellent until you get Tar Ball which is a 2nd Level Spell.

about50heavies
2012-12-25, 09:38 AM
Shillelagh is an awesome 1st level spell, as it gives you a free +1 weapon that deals 2D6. That's huge at 1st level. If someone casts Enlarge Person on you, or if you buy yourself a few potions of Enlarge Person, that damage scales up even further.

Produce Flame gives you reliable ranged attack or melee touch attack. It is excellent until you get Tar Ball which is a 2nd Level Spell.

Isn't shillelagh applicable only to quarter staffs

gartius
2012-12-25, 11:12 AM
1.drop toughness-if you want the extra hp just get it from the favoured class

2. get the augment summoning feat (so spell focus conjuration as well)

3. treantmonks guide-http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab

4.???

5. Profit

gr8artist
2012-12-25, 11:17 AM
Barding is armor for your animals. You multiply the cost, but it follows all the same rules and has all the same stats as regular armor.
Go for raptor pets/wild shape. 5 attacks and pounce on a charge? Awesome sauce.
Early on, Boon Companion is nice. Take the pack-lord druid archtype and get multiple pets. One for flight, one for utility, and one for combat. Spend bare minimum druid levels in the first two so that they upgrade and get utility perks, then keep your combat pet at the max possible strength. (He'll cap a little lower than 15 HD, but he'll still have evasion/devotion/plenty of stat perks.)

about50heavies
2012-12-25, 11:30 AM
My DM will allow Dire wolf to be a animal companion. Is it advisable to choose it or should i go with something like one of the larger cats or ape

Karoht
2012-12-25, 11:42 AM
Isn't shillelagh applicable only to quarter staffswww.pathfindersrd.com
Go look there.
But to answer your question, yes. And Clubs. Still, until you have your Wild Shape, what better weapon are you likely to find?
2D6 + 1 + STR at first level, for 0g.

about50heavies
2012-12-25, 12:20 PM
What about the reach of the spear and higher base damage without spells added or the scimitar with high crit range. All without spells

El Dorado
2012-12-25, 04:22 PM
Combat Reflexes + reach weapon is a nice combo for a caster-type willing to jump into melee. Take attacks of opportunity when a foe moves up to you, cast your spells on your own turn. You would have to burn two feats at 1st level to make this happen (combat reflexes + martial weapon proficiency).

Spuddles
2012-12-25, 06:33 PM
What about the reach of the spear and higher base damage without spells added or the scimitar with high crit range. All without spells

You still carry a longspear with you, of course. A scimitar isn't really worth the gold. A single 1st level slot for a magic weapon is pretty worthwhile. You can also wear a shield with it. And again, clubs and quarterstaves are virtually free.

Combat Reflexes + reach weapon is a nice combo for a caster-type willing to jump into melee. Take attacks of opportunity when a foe moves up to you, cast your spells on your own turn. You would have to burn two feats at 1st level to make this happen (combat reflexes + martial weapon proficiency).

Druids are proficient with longspears.

about50heavies
2012-12-25, 07:24 PM
What would be a good animal companion? And also what would be some good offensive/defensive spells

Arbane
2012-12-25, 11:00 PM
What would be a good animal companion? And also what would be some good offensive/defensive spells

Wolf's a good starting choice, because they can trip. At higher levels, anything with Pounce is usually good.

Entangle is one of the favorite low-level ruid crowd control spells. More than that, I defer to the experts.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-12-26, 01:44 AM
Druids are proficient with spears, but not longspears.

The best druid weapons before wildshape are scimitar, scythe, or club/staff (with shillelagh). Sling is decent for ranged weapon.

If you can stand the pain of no animal companion early on, Feather subdomain + Boon Companion feat (at level 5 or 7, depending on when you get natural spell) in the long run is basically paying a feat to get a domain w/ good spells and a 1/2 level perception bonus, though it will hurt at low levels.

Also, I STRONGLY suggest going with the Menhir Savant archetype. It is just so much cooler and stronger than core druid, it's like a no-brainer to me.

about50heavies
2012-12-26, 08:58 AM
What is good about the scythe

about50heavies
2012-12-26, 09:01 AM
Some one mind telling how the levelling system works for animal companions

Ryulin18
2012-12-26, 10:33 AM
Get a pet Roc (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Roc) :smallamused:

gartius
2012-12-26, 04:02 PM
What is good about the scythe

X4 crit damage

Some one mind telling how the levelling system works for animal companions

exactly as the table describes- take the base stats and apply the extra. Once you hit either 4th or 7th the animal companion grows in size

about50heavies
2012-12-26, 05:50 PM
What is scythe base damage, range and crit range

Spuddles
2012-12-27, 12:19 AM
What is scythe base damage, range and crit range

Kid, just google it. Virtually the entire pathfinder ruleset is available online for free. www.d20pfsrd.com

El Dorado
2012-12-27, 12:31 AM
Druids are proficient with longspears.

Nope. Just shortspear and spear.

Druids are proficient with the following weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, scythe, sickle, shortspear, sling, and spear.

Spuddles
2012-12-27, 12:39 AM
Nope. Just shortspear and spear.

Man, I don't know how I missed that for so many years.

El Dorado
2012-12-27, 01:14 AM
Man, I don't know how I missed that for so many years.

Surprised me too. I guess we'll have to summon another bear or something.

about50heavies
2012-12-27, 10:01 AM
Is summon nature ally affected by the nearby surrounding

StreamOfTheSky
2012-12-27, 07:53 PM
No, it is not. Though summoning a bear into the ocean won't work out so well.

about50heavies
2012-12-27, 10:06 PM
Does it matter which nature deity you worship

StreamOfTheSky
2012-12-28, 07:19 PM
Not really. Even if you're going for a domain, I don't think it's by deity, but by the small list in the druid class description. Just don't choose one opposed to your alignment, lest headaches ensue.

I'd just not worship a deity. You don't get Miracle as a spell, so what's the point in praying to someone? Just revere nature itself.