PDA

View Full Version : All Bard Tomb of Horrors [Recap]

MidgetMarine
2012-12-23, 11:33 PM
A while ago I posted about trying to run an All-Bard Tomb of Horrors.

Well...it happened. And Over the next day or so, I'll be using this post to recount the absolute slaughter that transpired.

The Cast:
Dirk: The Half-Orc bard10 [His bagpipe is also his main Melee weapon.Just...don't ask...]

Kali: The Elf Bard 7/Dragon Song Lyricist 3

Bob: Human Bard 10.

Craig: Halfling Bard 10

Meat Sack. [His player spelled it Meeyt Sakk as if that were subtle]: Dwarf Bard 10.

Bets are now open as to which one dies first.

The Tomb:

Our party of misfits arrive at the hill in front of the ToH, looking the the most dysfunctional band ever. [Excluding Nickleback] We took the Int roll to notice the hill's strange appearance. None made it.

However, good ol' Dirk started off the game with a critical failure on this Int check. Now convinced it looks uncannily like a butterfly, our party begins to search for an entrance.

Rolling some Search checks, our characters discover their first entrance. And somehow, thanks to some lucky rolls, have found the genuine entrance within a small amount of time.

With some dismay, I put the fake entrance trap stats to my right and began to narrate.

As they clear away the dirt, The first few party members make their way into the room. Being vaguely unnerved by the appearance of the room, they send Craig to go check for the door and then check the door for traps. AND ONLY THE DOOR.

Not thinking that the room itself would be trapped.

Oh Craig.....

Craig approaches , floating like a butterfly and stinging like a bee. he makes an effort to move slowly as he approaches. In doing so, and like any true halfling, he activates a pit trap.

But, being a halfling, succeeds his reflex save. Craig scrambled away as the pit opens below him. Not at all happy.

mattie_p
2012-12-23, 11:34 PM
And... I'll be looking forward to reading exact details of the slaughter that transpired.

Amidus Drexel
2012-12-24, 12:12 AM
This seems like it would be hilarious. Subscribed!

KhaineGB
2012-12-24, 12:13 AM
Subbed too.

This sounds like many lulz were had.

MidgetMarine
2012-12-24, 12:24 AM
The characters have now been put up. YES, they are FAR from optimized.

mattie_p
2012-12-24, 12:29 AM
It sounds like Meeyt Sakk should have died first, so I choose Bob. Bob always dies.

MidgetMarine
2012-12-24, 12:36 AM
Without giving anything away, you will fall in love with Dirk and Meeyt Sakk

Valdor
2012-12-24, 06:41 AM
First thread I ever subscribed to. I think I made the right choice in waiting lol. I bet 3 cookies that Bob dies first.

BigKahuna
2012-12-24, 07:07 AM
This seems like a great and hilarious idea (I've subscribed). I'm betting that Craig or Bob will go first because they have the least interesting names. Using the same strategy, I think Meeyt Sakk will last the longest.

Norin
2012-12-24, 07:15 AM
Woo! Had to subscribe to this one.

I remember the "all bard party" thread and was looking forward to the results.

Keynub
2012-12-24, 08:37 AM
This will be glorious.

Obviously, Kali will go first. He's an elf ; in my experience, those guys always die first.

Could you enlighten me as to how Craig qualifies for Sublime Chord at level 7? :smallconfused:

Morph Bark
2012-12-24, 08:48 AM
I'm hoping Bob dies and Dirk will be awesome, because both those names apply to me.

Then again, Dirk has bagpipes, which he also uses as a weapon, so not only has his character concept some awesome, it doubled that awesome.

Amidus Drexel
2012-12-24, 10:42 AM
This will be glorious.

Obviously, Kali will go first. He's an elf ; in my experience, those guys always die first.

Agreed. Elves always die first.

Madara
2012-12-24, 11:02 AM
He'd have to last long enough to use the bagpipes as a weapon, so he's not gonna die right away...

Meat Sack is gonna die, he's playing a front-line character. Although, traps are a big deal, so it might be the halfling...

MidgetMarine
2012-12-24, 06:05 PM
Beginning to type up recap. Love the response. :D

Gildedragon
2012-12-24, 06:08 PM
Subscribed, sounds hilarious. Rooting for the horc.

MidgetMarine
2012-12-24, 06:11 PM
This will be glorious.

Could you enlighten me as to how Craig qualifies for Sublime Chord at level 7? :smallconfused:

HAHAHA. Whoops.
I just ****ed up.
Ignore me.

I somehow amalgamated Craig and my real campaign's bard together. Fixing now.

:P

MidgetMarine
2012-12-24, 06:33 PM
I've started.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-12-24, 07:07 PM
My bet is on the elf biting the dust first.

Mephit
2012-12-24, 08:08 PM
One does not simply take Con penalties into the Tomb of Horrors. Farewell, Kali!

MidgetMarine
2012-12-24, 11:05 PM
More appropriately.

One does not simply take Con penalties OUT of the Tomb of Horrors.

Story
2012-12-25, 01:52 AM
Why even take a CON score in at all? Playing a nonliving character lets you skip the whole dungeon.

thorr-kan
2013-01-03, 11:29 PM
Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

JaronK
2013-01-04, 06:02 AM
But... nobody has trapfinding! I was expecting at least one Beguiler/PrC Bard. I mean, Search isn't even on the Bard list...

Was anybody playing with Dragonfire Inspiration or Bardic Knack or similar?

JaronK

Incorrect
2013-01-04, 06:21 AM
My money is on Bob!

TopCheese
2013-01-04, 08:29 AM
I wasn't aware you could criticle fail a Int check. :smallconfused: sure you can fail an int check but no one is going to mistake a hill/mountain/whatever for a butterfly.

I do have a question on the betting...

If by chance the PCs have rolled initiative and then spring a instant party deathtrap does the PC with the highest initiative die first? Cause I'm hoping thinking the deaths will be caused by a party killing trap that someone was crazy enough to mess with even if it was obvious.

I'm going with meat sack though. That PC seems goofy enough to be having fun in the Tomb of Horrors in character.... Which will lead to his death and possibly the party's.

Unseenmal
2013-01-04, 09:27 AM
I had to comment on this thread...I've wanted to play the Tomb of Horrors since AD&D (Yes, I've been playing that long)

I'm in awe of the all bard group trying to tackle this. It's full of chances for awesomeness and hilarity.

I can't wait to read this.

EDIT: As for who I think will die first....Bob or Kali

Andreaz
2013-01-04, 09:33 AM
I wasn't aware you could criticle fail a Int check.You can't. Doesn't look like rules are being followed there.

Socratov
2013-01-04, 09:42 AM
You can't. Doesn't look like rules are being followed there.

but that doesn't mean it's not funny it it does...

anyway, subscribed and my 2cp are on the halfling snuffing it first

TopCheese
2013-01-04, 10:05 AM
but that doesn't mean it's not funny it it does...

anyway, subscribed and my 2cp are on the halfling snuffing it first

Actually it isn't funny to the player when the DM makes up bad houserules.

Now granted in this specific game they may have said "let's be silly" but I've had games where rolling a 1 on a skill check still beat the DC but the DM said it was a crit fail.

Socratov
2013-01-05, 08:13 AM
Actually it isn't funny to the player when the DM makes up bad houserules.

Now granted in this specific game they may have said "let's be silly" but I've had games where rolling a 1 on a skill check still beat the DC but the DM said it was a crit fail.

Still, this was so innocent that I'd let it slide and love the outcome. (Freaking butterflies! Talk about mind derp :smallbiggrin:)