PDA

View Full Version : conversion into an ideal or religion

Chaos018
2012-12-24, 02:11 AM
I was looking up the rules for converting to another's philosophy/ideal/religion and I have not found any. My question is what would they be and where would I find them? I am looking to convert my game's Orc warbands into something that would give me some power and many dead bodies to animate later on (probably by way of breaking into a Dwarven mausoleum but then Orcs aren't smart for the most part, lol). At least, that's what I think my PC would want, I mean it's a venerable Kobold necromancer, yea, he's not right in the head from the start, :). Heck, he want everyone to know the glory of the Power Rangers, insanity is in his blood.

I am currently trying to find a way to pitch some speech or something that will convey this need to gain power, offer a sense of camaraderie and teamwork to a rather ragged and chaotic group of warbands, different ones than what my party PC unarmed swordsage is doing (hate him so much atm, lmao, literally falcon punched a warchief when he knew I needed a few skeleys to feel useful to the group as more than a cleric buff machine, c'mon, he critted a punch for 78 dmg to bring said chief to the -30s, DM ruled that even his bones were useless to reanimation). Figured to help consolidate power with him so we both wouldn't have trouble, even if he is just grabbing power through rite of combat. His PC grew up in slavery, specifically in the arena fighting all his life. Not sure if this will put us at odds, but would make for a good game :P. Think you will be able to help me out here?

Flickerdart
2012-12-24, 04:04 AM
There's no mechanical way to handle this. Orcs (in Greyhaawk, at least) worship their racial god Gruumsh, and so breaking them away into your sect is going to be a little tricky. Orcs value strength, so you're probably going to have to demonstrate you're stronger than Gruumsh. Might be tricky, given that he's a greater deity.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-26, 10:34 PM
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking for, so I'll give you a couple options.

Diplomacy. I think this is probably what you're looking for. Changing the attitudes of NPC's to something more useful is a simple diplomacy check. The most powerful effect this can garner is "converting" someone into a fanatic. Note that you should shoot for helpful, rather than fanatic, unless you're only going to need them for a few days. The exact same effects can be garnered from the perform skill and using that skill might be more appropriate to "converting" a large group.

Alignment conversion. BoED has a set of rules for converting an evil enemy to a good outlook. There's nothing in these rules that inherently tie them to just those alignments in just that direction, though, so it should be acceptable to use them for permanently converting a given target to your beliefs in relation to causes, religions, political agendas, etc. This is a single target effect that requires a significant amount of time though, so it's probably not particularly helpful for your situation.

Religious conversion. A cleric who wishes to convert to a different deity or to an idea needs to break ties with his old religion and then recieve an atonement spell from a cleric of the god or idea he's converting to. This may require a quest. This rule is outlined in either complete champion or complete scoundrel in a sidebar.

Hope that helps.