Lord Iames Osari
2006-10-31, 05:37 PM
Psychic Torture
Telepathy (Mind-Affecting, Evil)
Level: Telepath 2
Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Up to 1 creature within range per level, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. from one another
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 3

While concentrating, you contact your targets' minds and fill them with intense pain, dealing 3d4 points of damage each round to each target within range. The targets of this power get a new save every round that this power continues. If a target succeeds on a saving throw succeeds, this power ceases to affect that target.

Augment: For every additional power point you spend, this power deals an extra 1d4 points of damage per round to each target, and for every 2 dice of damage added, the save DC increases by 1.

Were-Sandwich
2006-11-01, 11:21 AM
Hmm. Might need to chew this one over.

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-01, 12:11 PM
So, this is basically a damage over time Fireball that deals one die type less damage in a larger area that doesn't include allies?

No, this isn't a second level power. No way.

AmberVael
2006-11-01, 12:25 PM
Perhaps if he decreased the amount of people you could affect to 1/2 manifester level, it would make it better?

Tormsskull
2006-11-01, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I agree with ^^.

I can't compare it to psionics because I am not familiar enough with psionics, but this seems far more powerful than comparable arcane/divine magic of the same level.

AmberVael
2006-11-01, 12:30 PM
Oh, even better idea, unless this is assumed. Keeps the flavor, and makes it a bit more balanced too.

How about for every round you concentrate, they get a new save?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-11-01, 01:26 PM
^: Me likey.

fangthane
2006-11-01, 04:48 PM
Just about any spell I can think of which has a similar effect also features the following language on the targets line:

no two of which may be more than XX feet from one another.

For something like this I'd tend to knee-jerk about a 20-foot diameter (i.e. no target can be more than 20 feet from any other target).

Alternatively, a successful save could obviate future saves (i.e. once one is successful, all subsequent saves are presumed successful too) which would weaken it somewhat but not critically so.

Like Tormsskull, I don't play a lot of psi stuff so if that's inappropriate for balance on a level 2 telepath power, adjust as appropriate - but if it's meant to be similar in power to a level 2 spell, you'll need to limit it to 5 targets max and 5-10 total dice of damage (per target) as well.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-11-01, 04:55 PM
If any save is successful, the power ends. I'll make that clear. And how about a 15-ft. limitation?

AmberVael
2006-11-01, 09:19 PM
That sounds like it would work.
But shouldn't it end only on that specific person?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-11-01, 09:49 PM
Again, you demonstrate your excellent knowledge.