PDA

View Full Version : Desert Assassin

Cranthis
2012-12-24, 05:46 PM
So, I am making an ECL 3 character for a campaign next week. It is a desert campaign, and here is what I'm thinking so far:

Dark creature (ToM 161) Human 1 LA.

Rogue 1/ Expert Generic Class 1 (Good fort/Reflex) getting the +2d6 sneak attack instead of a bonus feat. (Aiming for Assassin)

Stats are 10, 15, 16, 15, 10, 10 (Feel free to recommend something different, 32 point buy).

What I need a slight bit of help with is feats. Flaws are allowed. From what I can tell I have 5 feats. I am thinking Two-weapon fighting and Weapon finesse (house rule that it also changes damage bonus to dex). After that I am not quite sure what to take.

gorfnab
2012-12-24, 06:40 PM
Human
1. Rogue - Craven, Dodge, Mobility, Two Weapon Fighting
2. Fighter -Hit and Run Tactics Fighter ACF - Weapon Finesse
3. Rogue - Darkstalker
4. Rogue - Penetrating Strike ACF
5. Fighter - Spring Attack
6. Assassin -Blind Fight
7. Assassin
8. Assassin
9. Assassin - Improved Two Weapon Fighting
10. Assassin
11. Assassin
12. Assassin - Staggering Strike
13. Telflammar Shadowlord
14. Telflammar Shadowlord
15. Swordsage - Shadowblade (pick up Shadow Jaunt Maneuver)
16. Swordsage (pick up Shadow Stride maneuver and Assassins Stance)
17. Telflammar Shadowlord
18. Telflammar Shadowlord - Greater Two Weapon Fighting
19. Telflammar Shadowlord
20. Telflammar Shadowlord

Cranthis
2012-12-24, 06:58 PM
Source for hit and run? Also, I'm not sure if LA buyoff will be available (It probably is), and I probably won't take any TOB classes this time around.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-24, 09:20 PM
Hit and run is from Drow of the Underdark, some people argue it is Drow-only; but from what I remember that i just fluff. The ACF trades heavy and maybe medium armour and shields for getting Dex to damage against flat-footed foes and a +2 initiative bonus iirc.

Arcanist
2012-12-24, 09:30 PM
Rogue 1/ Expert Generic Class 1 (Good fort/Reflex) getting the +2d6 sneak attack instead of a bonus feat.

If you use these generic classes, you shouldn't also use the standard character classes (or variants of those classes).

Just a heads up, ask your DM if he is cool with this :smallsmile:

Runestar
2012-12-24, 10:05 PM
Your bab is going to suck.

I suggest you go human swordsage, with an emphasis on desert wind maneuvers.

Cranthis
2012-12-24, 10:10 PM
Your bab is going to suck.

I suggest you go human swordsage, with an emphasis on desert wind maneuvers.

Fractional BAB

Talionis
2012-12-26, 04:27 PM
Not sure how far you are going, but I immediately thought going into a spontaneous casting class and using Sandshaper Prestige class from Sandstorm. It adds a ton of spells that are potentially very helpful/on theme for an Assassin especially one in a desert campaign. I might even run Sandshaper more than the dip to add spells to your spell list simply because Sandshaper is so powerful in a desert campaign.

Aasimar
2012-12-26, 04:32 PM
I'd say the best desert assassin would be a cleric or druid with an emphasis on weather control. It may take a while, but it's the only sure way to effect a large biosphere that way.

The Viscount
2012-12-27, 11:28 AM
If you are going to be sneaking, Darkstalker always helps. Scorpion Heritor from Sandstorm makes a fairly effective assassin.

JellyPooga
2012-12-27, 11:45 AM
With a decided lack of terrain to hide behind, the Ninja and his Ghost Step ability makes for a decent desert themed assassin type, allowing you to make best use of what little cover is available.

Personally, I've always favoured Rangers (archery Combat Style) as Assassins, myself. Favoured Enemy is a total shoe-in for the style (not forgetting that it grants bonuses to Skill checks as well as the damage bonus). Thematically, you could take a Favoured Environment (see UA) for Desert [warm], instead of a Favoured Enemy, but you do lose out on the damage bonus.

A single dip of Horizon Walker to get Terrain Mastery [Desert] would also not be a horrendous idea to consider. The immunity to fatigue has its obvious applications in the environment and you're obviously going to benefit from the insight bonus a fair bit!

Cranthis
2012-12-27, 01:45 PM
Human
1. Rogue - Craven, Dodge, Mobility, Two Weapon Fighting
2. Fighter -Hit and Run Tactics Fighter ACF - Weapon Finesse
3. Rogue - Darkstalker
4. Rogue - Penetrating Strike ACF
5. Fighter - Spring Attack
6. Assassin -Blind Fight
7. Assassin
8. Assassin
9. Assassin - Improved Two Weapon Fighting
10. Assassin
11. Assassin
12. Assassin - Staggering Strike
13. Telflammar Shadowlord
14. Telflammar Shadowlord
15. Swordsage - Shadowblade (pick up Shadow Jaunt Maneuver)
16. Swordsage (pick up Shadow Stride maneuver and Assassins Stance)
17. Telflammar Shadowlord
18. Telflammar Shadowlord - Greater Two Weapon Fighting
19. Telflammar Shadowlord
20. Telflammar Shadowlord

Would it be better to replace the the sword sage levels in this build with Warblade, in order to have 16 BAB at level 20?

Edit: Nevermind, I see that assassin stance is only swordsage.

Talionis
2012-12-27, 02:48 PM
Would it be better to replace the the sword sage levels in this build with Warblade, in order to have 16 BAB at level 20?

Edit: Nevermind, I see that assassin stance is only swordsage.

Just as a reminder you can pick up Assassin Stance as a feat on the Warblade. I often pick up Swordsage maneuvers with Crusaders and Warblades to keep my BAB higher and to have better recovery mechanics.