PDA

View Full Version : Transmuters?

PaigeXenon
2012-12-25, 06:36 PM
Ok I have had a nuts idea for my character in a campaign in have coming up. My idea is to have a transmuter who uses transmutation spells on her familiar in order to have it fight for her. I'm wondering if this is even possible and looking for some ideas about pulling it off. I'm not looking ot a complete level by level guide for this just some help starting and pointing me in the right direction for later levels.

We are limited to the 3 core 3.5 books as this will be our DMs first time at the job and we will be starting at level 1. I was planing on being a halfling and the stats i have to play with that the DM rolled are 18, 8, 8, 14, 11, 16. If that information helps at all.

I plan on doing a bit of item creation as well so the party will have plenty of pots and belts of strength or what have you.

Don't fail me now my lovely geeky forum friends. <3

Urpriest
2012-12-25, 06:48 PM
This is a lot trickier in Core, but it can be done. A few tips:

If you share Tenser's Transformation with your familiar and then dismiss it from yourself, you can still cast spells while your familiar is affected by it. It might be a little debateable whether the familiar gets full BAB for its character level or yours, based on how you interpret the "For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher." line in the familiar description.

For times when that spell isn't active, Eldritch Knight is your only option in Core for giving yourself more BAB and hp, which are shared and shared (halved), respectively, with your familiar. You'll need a single level in Fighter or the like to get in.

You definitely want to use Polymorph to make your familiar useful, and you probably still should have it be an Improved Familiar with sufficiently interesting abilities.

PaigeXenon
2012-12-25, 06:57 PM
It seems like there will be nothing i can do with my familiar at the lower levels this make me sad :(

I see an issue with becoming an Eldrirtch Knight my familiar will not advance and become stronger as a familiar and not gain the increased nat armor and int score.

Also according to the familiar rules I can cast things with the Target of 'You' on it as touch spells and if i dont think it wears off when it leaves my side if i cast it that way