PDA

View Full Version : How would you build Thor @ 12th lvl...?

Shadowdagger213
2012-12-25, 07:53 PM
As the name suggests, I'd like to try a melee build, maybe some spellcasting to simulate the lightning and thunder (divine preferably, this is the Thunder God we're trying to emulate..)

I've thought about re-doing the Stormlord, but lack the creativity to do so, because while the Warhammer could replace a spear as a main melee weapon, what about the javelins?

Cleric base is cool, favored soul seems cooler, but what are your thoughts?

Aasimar
2012-12-25, 07:59 PM
Go fourth edition and make a storm sorcerer? Grab barbarian multiclass and a big hammer?

DangerDanger
2012-12-25, 08:01 PM
Bloodstorm blade?

EDIT: With Ordained Champion (or something else that can channel spells)

Shadowdagger213
2012-12-25, 08:01 PM
(I seem to keep doing this....)

Forgot to mention, 3.x edition, all completes, no Tome of Battle or Magic Item Compendium available. I'm not running this game, so unfortunately not my rules...

Have been thinking just a straight Favored Soul, with ranks in Craft (What else am I gonna spend them on? LOL)

JaronK
2012-12-25, 08:03 PM
How about some sort of Cleric/PrC Paladin, perhaps combing PrC Paladin with Paladin of Freedom? Just pick the right domains and go to town.

JaronK

Invader
2012-12-25, 08:17 PM
There's the lightning bearer prestige class which wold be suitable but its from swords and sorcery so you'd have to get permission to use it. It also doesn't address the flight but really that'd be a weapon enchant and not a class feature anyway.

elvengunner69
2012-12-25, 09:36 PM
Cleric9/StormLord3

You might see if the DM will homebrew as Storm Lords have to use a Spear or Javelin iirc -- if he'll let you switch it to Double Hammer (or hammers in general) you are probably in business. Pick a god for the weather or storm domain too obviously.

I'm not sure how powerful it would be but if DM lets you switch the weapons I think it would work....Also You could do Divine Soul 10/StormLord 2 to get 2 Energy resistances -- Electricity being one I would imagine.

Certified
2012-12-25, 09:49 PM
The best build I've seen for Pathfinder is Cleric 8 with the Weather Domain, Barbarian everything else. At 16th you can get fairly spot on to everything you see. For Alignment went Chaotic Neutral with Channel Negative not so much for the Undead healing but for the AOE damage. Thor just doesn't come off as the healer type.

Shadowdagger213
2012-12-26, 12:58 AM
What about flight with a Favored Soul? The only way to get Fly as a divine spell is through the Travel Domain...?

Gullara
2012-12-26, 01:12 PM
I think there's a throwing hammer in Races of Stone (?). One of those with the returning property seems flavourful. :smalltongue:

charcoalninja
2012-12-26, 02:33 PM
I would go cleric. By 9th level you can emulate nearly all of Thor's abilities very convincingly, and as a plus you can even forge your own Mjolnir.

Go War and Weather domains because you'll want that martial weapon proficiency warhammer.

After that, it's all spell selection:
Air walk for flight, Call Lightning for thundering. Sound Burst and Shout for actual thunder attacks. You could burn a feat on elemental substitution or whatever it's called from 3.5 that lets you change your elemental damage type and use flamestrike and firestorm for even more thundering.

Planar Ally let's you summon the spirits of the honoured dead (lantern Archons) to assist you, or to hover around you as really badass lightning motes zotting people.

Clerical healing gives you the godlike staying power one expects from the thunderer, and planeshift allows you to whip mjolnir around and travel the nine worlds, even lets you banish evildoers to Jotunheim if you so desire.

If you want a more permanent flight solution use craft magic arms and armour to enchant it into your warhammer. Going to a magical smith to aid you in its construction is certainly within the feel.

Divine Power can have all the glorious thundering/lightning display you could want while being a nifty power up.

Spiritual weapon fluffed as arcing lightning bolts blasting people with divine power also is a nice touch and can be really devistating once you have a few of them up.

So I vote full cleric, all the way. Gives you the most options and an easy build to pull off.

EDIT: favoured soul does eventually get flight as a class feature, albeit through wings, but asking your DM if you can fly magically instead should work. Same effect anyway.

Norin
2012-12-26, 03:53 PM
First thing that popped into my head was a duskblade with a hammer and channelig shocking grasp. Maybe energy substitution to get lightning on higher level spells?

Maybe Duskblade13\[class with fly spells or some divine class?)7 as a build to aim for?

Sugashane
2012-12-26, 03:55 PM
There are a few ways. If you take a class that allows large size then you have the best chance. I don't have my books in front of me so I cannot tell exactly what level you will be for each class.

-Use 3 levels of Stoneblessed from Races of Stone to be bonded to the dwarven race, allowing you to take Dwarven prestige classes.

-Now take Hammer of Moradin (Players Guide to Faerun) for at least 2 levels, granting you Hammer Throw and Hammer Return. A hammer that has a distance ability will become more useful.

-Cheese your way to three levels of Hulking Hurler if you did not have a player with large size. Having a ring of Enlargement isn't a terrible price for large size when you want. Take Overburdened Heave at second level, allowing you to throw a medium load.

-Thor from the Marvel movies seems to be more of a fighter/crusader, while the stories of Thor show a more barbaric and war-mongering side. So the base class is up to you.

-Also, although you will be beyond 14 levels at this point, taking 2 level of Deepwarden from Races of Stone will also net your constitution bonus to your AC. So if you roll well on your attributes this can be a nice boost you can get.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-12-26, 04:28 PM
Duskblade 7/ Divine Crusader 3/ Paragnostic Apostle 2, Windstorm domain, Divine Understanding: Windstorm, Energy Supremacy: Electricity. Edit: If you can find room for it, get Born of the Three Thunders (CA) with either Quick Recovery (LoM) or Daze immunity (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851). Practiced Spellcaster for Divine Crusader is highly recommended.

Take Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) (Mjölnir), which starts as a +1 Warhammer and he can upgrade it himself as though he had all the right item creation feats. It definitely needs Throwing, but not necessarily Returning (see below), and I'd also include Thundering. Note that being an Item Familiar will enable him to add intelligent item properties to it via normal crafting rules, as opposed to gaining them via the Item Familiar progression at full price. One of its abilities is that it can use Swift Fly at will (priced as Detect Thoughts in the greater powers), the item itself spends a swift action to activate this each round on itself (intelligent items are regarded as constructs and thus creatures) and it drags him along. The hammer can also fly back into his hand after he's thrown it. I'd also give it a special purpose (of his choosing, he's the one who enchanted it) and the dedicated power to use Lightning Bolt at will, which Mjölnir itself can spend an action to cast every round. That means in a given round, Mjölnir can use Lightning Bolt (standard), Swift Fly itself (swift), and fly back into Thor's hand (move), or just Swift Fly and fly back into his hand twice in one round.

Talionis
2012-12-26, 04:39 PM
I would look into a Weapon of Legacy for the Hammer. Most of Thors powers come from his Hammer so a Barbarian or Crusader would be neat to be neat. I really like the idea of DM allowing you into Hulking Hurler. Kensai prestige class is worth a look from the focus on a magical weapon standpoint.

But the Hammer should give you flight and your Thunder and Lightning. Legacy Champion allows you to progress other melee class and still have a ridiculously powerful hammer.

Kaeso
2012-12-26, 06:42 PM
As the name suggests, I'd like to try a melee build, maybe some spellcasting to simulate the lightning and thunder

Female human, greatsword, thunder spells and a massive attitude problem? :smallamused:
On a more serious note though:

(divine preferably, this is the Thunder God we're trying to emulate..)

I've thought about re-doing the Stormlord, but lack the creativity to do so, because while the Warhammer could replace a spear as a main melee weapon, what about the javelins?

Cleric base is cool, favored soul seems cooler, but what are your thoughts?

Isn't Thor already a canon deity in certain settings of DnD? Why would you want to play a deity as a PC on 12th level?

Anyway, if you're seriously going for it I'd avoid a cleric or favored soul as it is, because it implies worshipping something. Personally I think a Gish would work better, because arcane casters have the more flashier spells (and are thus better at throwing around thunder and lightning (lower case l:smallwink:).