PDA

View Full Version : Screen Resolution *Help*

ArlEammon
2012-12-25, 08:14 PM
I have an X-Box 360 thanks to Christmas and my Grandma now.
The one problem, the text in-game appears off screen for the star menu. I can't see it. How do I fix this on the TV?

Manga Shoggoth
2012-12-26, 09:56 AM
I would suggest you adjust the resolution/display settings on your TV. As there are so many different varieties of TV is impossible to say how.

It usually takes a bit of experimenting, so make sure that you keep a note of what gets changed. Also, reading the manuals does help determine what the various settings mean. Unless the manuals are blind-idiot translations from the japanese, of course.

ArlEammon
2012-12-26, 12:02 PM
I found out why I can't change the screen Resolution. My TV was first used by George Washington.

Jimorian
2012-12-26, 12:54 PM
In that case, you have to set the screen resolution setting on the XBox itself to standard definition.

ArlEammon
2012-12-26, 01:05 PM
In that case, you have to set the screen resolution setting on the XBox itself to standard definition.

How do I do that?
Edit-
This problem is on the Wii and the TV it'self though.

Jimorian
2012-12-26, 02:49 PM
How do I do that?
Edit-
This problem is on the Wii and the TV it'self though.

I haven't XBox since the old GUI, so I don't know specifically, but there's a settings menu that also controls stuff like 720p vs 1080i for HD, and also has the setting for SD. Of course, if you're just using component video (just yellow connector for video), then I think it automatically sets it this way.

What it sounds like is that the TV's overscan is too large to get the entire frame of video, though. On the old tube TVs, since the screen is a rounded corner square, the picture is "sprayed" on the front of the tube slightly larger than the visible area. As a tube TV gets older, the non-visible area grows because of various reasons within the tube.

In my TV/video production classes we were taught to make sure that any vital information like text is placed with at least a 10% margin all around the screen to make sure it's visible to all viewers. Unfortunately, game programmers are likely to ignore this guideline these days because of the way they try to squeeze as much information as possible onto the screen, and they assume most people now have LCD/plasma TVs and monitors that don't have the same overscan issue that CRTs do.

So if that's the issue and the TV is too old to have some of the fine-tune controls that "newer" CRTs had to adjust the picture, then you're just out of luck and the only solution is a new TV/monitor.

ArlEammon
2012-12-26, 07:36 PM
What kind of TV should I get ? And thank you for the information!:)

Jimorian
2012-12-26, 10:23 PM
What kind of TV should I get ? And thank you for the information!:)

Any flat screen HD these days won't have this issue at all. and the HD even on smaller screens will make the XBox graphics look gorgeous compared to SD, so even if you get the cheapest TV you can find, you'll get a huge boost in quality compared to what you have now.

Brother Oni
2013-01-02, 03:09 AM
You will however need a different lead to get HD graphics - if your original TV is that old, it's likely to be SCART at best or RF cable at worse.

Newer Xboxes should come packaged with a DVI/HDMI cable, which any HD TV will have the inputs for.

ArlEammon
2013-01-02, 03:13 AM
You will however need a different lead to get HD graphics - if your original TV is that old, it's likely to be SCART at best or RF cable at worse.

Newer Xboxes should come packaged with a DVI/HDMI cable, which any HD TV will have the inputs for.

Thank you Brother Oni. I can play X-Box 360 now. I will have to experiment with my resolution. :)

I am using a computer monitor.