PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - Indiana Jones in Eberron

Kobold Esq
2012-12-25, 11:31 PM
The premise seems simple enough.

I am starting a game at 2nd level, and I am going with a Rogue 1 / Ranger 1, Dragonmarked member of House Tharashk. Currently he has Least Dragonmark of Finding, as well as Able Learner (solely so I can put points into ranger skills later). I took the level of ranger to get the free Track feat and Survival as a class skill, because I wanted to be able to seek out lost dungeons and ruins out in the wilderness.

But I'm not sure where I want to go with the character in the future. My simplest fallback plan is to go straight rogue for the rest of his career (until his likely untimely death as the hands of a Xen'drik giant, or the like), but I was curious what anyone else could come up with.

I'd like to focus on skills first, combat ability second. I am planning to take Favored in House and some of the higher dragonmark feats as I level, so that limits my abilities to get into PrCs. I also don't want to go into anything with less than 8 skill points per level, unless it has some really hefty class abilities to make up for it.

I had considered Beguiler, but I don't really see him as a spellcaster, for flavor reasons. He is more of just a skilled treasure hunter.

Any recommendations for his life path?

Arcanist
2012-12-25, 11:44 PM
Extreme Explorerer and Dragonmark Heir! Go for the Action Points (They are totally in Character for Indie...) :smalltongue:

Kobold Esq
2012-12-26, 12:16 AM
It could be my inexperience with the setting, but the whole action point mechanic... is it any good? AT first glance it seems pretty weak compared to, for example, hero points in Mutants and Masterminds, or even action points in other d20 systems.

Is the bonus chance to retain the action points from Extreme Explorer worth the tradeoff in lesser skill points (6 instead of 8 from rogue). The Dragonmark Heir, I'm not sure I like the massive skill hit.

Alleran
2012-12-26, 02:06 AM
Make sure that Murlynd's Hat and Whip are on your "to purchase" list (Dragon #359 p.73-74).

Arcanist
2012-12-26, 02:33 AM
I HAVE IT! First start in as a Human Human Paragon 1 and then take a level in Factotum (you are now a Human Paragon 1 / Factotum 1) now take your last 2 levels of Human Paragon for increase Factotum progression (Human Paragon 3 / Factotum 1) Now begin taking levels in Dragonmark Heir (honestly, for the sake of Dragonmarks optimization, I recommend going with the Mark of Passage or Making since the Mark of Finding isn't what you'd call... "Good") until you have all 5 levels and then begin taking 5 levels in Extreme Explorer. Pick up 3 levels of Uncanny Trickster (No real reason for that, I just find Doctor Jones to be very skillful and using the Skill Trick "Whip Climber" just seems so in character...) and 2 more levels of Factotum for being a 7th level Factotum in total.

As Alleran said, get Murlynd's Hat and Whip just for thematics

Bagger
2012-12-26, 07:06 AM
Extreme Explorerer and Dragonmark Heir! Go for the Action Points (They are totally in Character for Indie...) :smalltongue:

I agree this could be funny

mattie_p
2012-12-26, 08:04 AM
I suggest you check out this build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13150945&postcount=98) from Iron Chef XXXII (32). It was the winner and contributed by xodion.

Kobold Esq
2012-12-26, 02:58 PM
I HAVE IT! First start in as a Human Human Paragon 1 and then take a level in Factotum (you are now a Human Paragon 1 / Factotum 1) now take your last 2 levels of Human Paragon for increase Factotum progression (Human Paragon 3 / Factotum 1) Now begin taking levels in Dragonmark Heir (honestly, for the sake of Dragonmarks optimization, I recommend going with the Mark of Passage or Making since the Mark of Finding isn't what you'd call... "Good") until you have all 5 levels and then begin taking 5 levels in Extreme Explorer. Pick up 3 levels of Uncanny Trickster (No real reason for that, I just find Doctor Jones to be very skillful and using the Skill Trick "Whip Climber" just seems so in character...) and 2 more levels of Factotum for being a 7th level Factotum in total.

As Alleran said, get Murlynd's Hat and Whip just for thematics

The main thing I got out of this is "you should totally play a Factotum!"

Does that sound about right?

Edit: Having finally taken a look at Factotum (I had only just picked up Dungeonscape around the time I stopped playing a few years ago) it does look like it may be a good fit. I'll look into it more.

Arcanist
2012-12-26, 03:07 PM
The main thing I got out of this is "you should totally play a Factotum!"

Does that sound about right?

... Shut up :smallannoyed: ... And yes... Yes you should totally play a Factotum... The way I said it made it sound cooler :smallannoyed:

Kobold Esq
2012-12-26, 03:16 PM
... Shut up :smallannoyed: ... And yes... Yes you should totally play a Factotum... The way I said it made it sound cooler :smallannoyed:

<3

Kobold Esq
2012-12-26, 09:46 PM
So I put some thought into it, and I think I'm going to go with Human Factotum 2, using Favored in House (Tharashk) and Font of Inspiration as my level 1 feats. I'll grab Knowledge Devotion at level 3, and that plus a bunch of 1 rank knowledge skills should be enough to make me do passable damage in combat.

Progression wise I'll probably just go straight Factotum, assuming the character lives long enough for it to matter. I'll grab Font again at 6th level.