PDA

View Full Version : New Droid Razr Maxx (Not a spam thread, about mine)

Mystic Muse
2012-12-26, 02:55 AM
For Christmas, I got a Droid Razr Maxx, and was hoping for some advice regarding it. I got a case to protect it (Which comes with a holster I'll never use), and so far, I'm not sure what all I should do with it.

I've looked at some available apps, and seem to be unable to find free apps for my IM clients (Skype, Aol Instant Messenger) like I could with my Ipod, but can't seem to find them. It's possible they just don't exist, but I was thinking that maybe there's something obvious I'm missing.

Other than that, any particular apps I should get, or anything I should know about this?

Jack Squat
2012-12-28, 03:04 PM
Skype (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skype.raider&hl=en)

AIM (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aol.mobile.aim&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hb 2wubW9iaWxlLmFpbSJd)

As far as apps to get, what do you plan on using your phone for?

Don Julio Anejo
2012-12-28, 09:56 PM
Angry birds. You slingshot some very angry birds at evil oinking pigs that stole birds' eggs.

TuneIn Radio. Uses your WiFi/data connection to stream almost any radio station available through the internet (including your local ones, lol). Good for listening to music/news/whatever from, say, Paris.

Facebook app. Chances are your phone already has one pre-installed. Self-explanatory and faster than browser.

Your bank's internet banking app. Pay your bills, transfer money, check balance, etc, straight from your phone.

Dell Voice. Gives you a free phone number (Dell Voice must be active for it to work). Uses your WiFi/data connection to call people/take calls on your Dell Voice phone number. Call quality is pretty bad though.

Mystic Muse
2012-12-28, 10:09 PM
Skype (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skype.raider&hl=en)

AIM (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aol.mobile.aim&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hb 2wubW9iaWxlLmFpbSJd)

As far as apps to get, what do you plan on using your phone for?

Basically, anything I can. Note-taking, keeping track of any important upcoming events, GPS, photo taking, bypassing the web filter at work (I like checking Giantitp on my breaks)...I can't think beyond that because I am very weirdly tired, but yeah.

Angry birds. You slingshot some very angry birds at evil oinking pigs that stole birds' eggs. Ah yes. Angry birds. Okay, I suppose that's going on there.:smalltongue:

TuneIn Radio. Uses your WiFi/data connection to stream almost any radio station available through the internet (including your local ones, lol). Good for listening to music/news/whatever from, say, Paris. Could be useful. Thanks.

Facebook app. Chances are your phone already has one pre-installed. Self-explanatory and faster than browser. Not actually useful for me. I deleted my facebook and have not once looked back.

Your bank's internet banking app. Pay your bills, transfer money, check balance, etc, straight from your phone. Ah yes, this. Thank you for reminding me.

Dell Voice. Gives you a free phone number (Dell Voice must be active for it to work). Uses your WiFi/data connection to call people/take calls on your Dell Voice phone number. Call quality is pretty bad though.
I already have a phone number, so I don't think this is all that important.

KhaineGB
2012-12-28, 10:15 PM
aCalendar is pretty good for keeping track of upcoming events. You can give it an entire page on your home screen. I find it very useful.

Might be worth buying some kind of office application if you want to take notes. The free notepads are pretty bad (one came loaded with annoying popup ads!). Photo-taking... built in camera is pretty good. GPS? I use Google Navigation. It's built into my Motorola Atrix and works pretty damn well.

Mystic Muse
2013-01-06, 11:30 PM
Alright. Thanks for the suggestions so far. Any others that would be useful? Preferably the free ones but I'd be willing to spend a little money on some.

Alarra
2013-01-11, 06:24 PM
Your razr should come with all the google apps already installed, like the calender and gmail and various other things. It comes with a radio app, which isn't terrible, kindle, gotomeeting, facebook, netflix, and office, among others. Basically though, if there's something you wish you could do or that you see someone else doing on their phone, just google it. It's hard to give specific advice if we don't know you and the kind of things you'd like to use on your phone.

*also got a razr maxx for xmas*