PDA

View Full Version : Help Optimizing Evoker Wizard {PF}

tbok1992
2012-12-26, 03:15 AM
Yeah, I made a Pathfinder Society character who happens to be a Wizard with the Evocation specialty. Specifically, a CG Tiefling (Born from ICe devil stock) known as "The Magnificent Scolaveri!", who I made as an Evoker because I felt that it fit his character.

Unfortunately, I feel kinda useless, and I have since found out that the Evocation specialty is kinda garbage. So I ask you, how do I make lemons out of lemonade and optimize Evocation to its full potential? And for the record my forbidden schools are Abjuration and Enchantment, just so ya know.

jaybird
2012-12-26, 01:45 PM
Do you want to be a blaster or a utility caster?

tbok1992
2012-12-26, 06:13 PM
Mostly Blaster, with a bit of Utility Caster on the side.

AttilaTheGeek
2012-12-26, 06:43 PM
From creation, go straight for as much intelligence as you can get. Starting with a 20 is pretty much the only you'll be able to keep up with the melee, but you'll blow them out of the water by level 5 even if you start with an 18. I hate to say it, but at first level, there really isn't a whole lot you can do. Do anything you can to raise your caster level so that you can get as much mileage as you can out of Burning Hands and Magic Missile, which are your bread-and-butter first-level spells. Don't underestimate Force Missile- it isn't great by any means, but it's better than Acid Splash (which, by the way, is definitely not worth a slot) and better than a bow.

When you get to 2nd-level spells, Flaming Sphere (3d6 DPR for 1 round/CL, reflex half) and Scorching Ray (4d6 on ranged touch, +1 ray/4 CLs) are your best damaging spells, in that order. Stone Call, from the APG, is also a contender: 2d6 damage, no save, non-scaling, in a 40-foot radius makes it either a wasted spell slot or a lifesaver. On the upside, it can absolutely destroy a huge group of minions, or it can help the party run for their lives by making 80 feet of rough terrain for the baddies. However, if you're going up against a single or small group of BBEGs, it can do more damage to your own party than to the enemy.

jmelesky
2012-12-26, 07:02 PM
If you can deal with a one-level dip into something other than wizard (big if), you can do lots more damage.

Specifically, grab a level of Sorcerer, go cross-blooded, and choose the Orc and Draconic bloodlines. You gain some sorcerer casting, which you don't care about at all. Grab a couple of non-scaling first-level spells that you've been using constantly.

The big reasons to do this are the two bloodline arcana you get. Those effect every spell you cast, regardless of whether it's a sorcerer spell or not. The Orc bloodline (in addition to giving you darkvision, light sensitivity, and the orc subtype) gives +1 damage to all damage dice you roll. The Draconic bloodline gives you another +1 damage to your damage dice, so long as the damage you're doing matches your chosen dragon type.

For example, take a wizard (evoker) 5/sorc (cross-blooded orc/draconic) 1. She casts a fireball. Normally it would do 5d6 damage to everyone in the blast area. She does:

5d6 + 2 (intense spells evoker power) + 5 (orc bloodline) + 5 (draconic bloodline, assuming a fire dragon (red, brass, or gold)), or 5d6+12 damage

Instead of 5-30 damage, you're now doing 17-42 damage, which is a heckuva boost.

Given that your character has an icy heritage, you'd likely choose a cold dragon type (white or silver). Given how few cold spells there are, you would much rather be an Admixture (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/evocation/admixture) evoker rather than a straight evoker -- that way all your spells can be cold, and get the bonus draconic damage. If you're already 2nd level or higher (PFS allows complete rebuilds before you gain your first level), you can't change that around, so you would need to grab the Elemental Spell metamagic feat.

tbok1992
2013-01-09, 07:54 PM
From creation, go straight for as much intelligence as you can get. Starting with a 20 is pretty much the only you'll be able to keep up with the melee, but you'll blow them out of the water by level 5 even if you start with an 18. I hate to say it, but at first level, there really isn't a whole lot you can do. Do anything you can to raise your caster level so that you can get as much mileage as you can out of Burning Hands and Magic Missile, which are your bread-and-butter first-level spells. Don't underestimate Force Missile- it isn't great by any means, but it's better than Acid Splash (which, by the way, is definitely not worth a slot) and better than a bow.

When you get to 2nd-level spells, Flaming Sphere (3d6 DPR for 1 round/CL, reflex half) and Scorching Ray (4d6 on ranged touch, +1 ray/4 CLs) are your best damaging spells, in that order. Stone Call, from the APG, is also a contender: 2d6 damage, no save, non-scaling, in a 40-foot radius makes it either a wasted spell slot or a lifesaver. On the upside, it can absolutely destroy a huge group of minions, or it can help the party run for their lives by making 80 feet of rough terrain for the baddies. However, if you're going up against a single or small group of BBEGs, it can do more damage to your own party than to the enemy.

Out of curiosity, would getting Grease as a 2nd level spell after those other reccomendations be a good idea? I know it's not in my favored school, but I keep hearing how good it is, so I wonder if its worth a look.

Dissonance
2013-01-09, 10:03 PM
grease is a good idea, the versatility it offers is invaluable. Also, if you ever start using fire spells, argue that the grease spell is flammable. :smallbiggrin:

Secondly, while you are going to be focusing on blasting. Equip yourself with some utility spells (like the aforementioned grease) to complement your blasting. Any spell you can use to shunt the enemies or lock them down makes them easier to blast. If you can lock them down while they're clustered.... heh, your about to find out why it is oh so much fun playing a blaster.

Spuddles
2013-01-09, 11:12 PM
There are two traits, one a magic and one a location trait, that reduce the cost of a metamagic feat by one for a particular spell. These are stackable. Very very handy if you want to use metamagic and have a favorite spell.

Khantin
2013-01-10, 03:40 PM
What is the name of the location trait? I was planning on playing a blaster next and would love to use 2 meta magic reducers

Rerednaw
2013-05-17, 10:37 AM
What is the name of the location trait? I was planning on playing a blaster next and would love to use 2 meta magic reducers
Came across this thread...

Wayang Spellhunter, which I believe has been superceded by Metamagic Master.

stack
2013-05-17, 10:45 AM
Dazing spell.

It can get cheesy. If you have a familiar, share dazing snapdragon fireworks and dazing burning gaze, reducing metamagic cost if possible. Now your familiar can force two saves vs daze (plus weak damage) every round while you do other stuff. Get improved share spells (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/improved-share-spells) when you can so save on the action economy.