PDA

View Full Version : Best Forum Community Ever

Tylorious
2012-12-26, 09:42 AM
Just letting you guys know i enjoy every minute i spend here. this is my first forum and all of you have made it a great experience. thank you very much to everyone!!!

Haruki-kun
2012-12-26, 10:50 AM
You are very welcome. I will just go ahead and take credit for it, because I'm that awesome. *sagenod*

Mauve Shirt
2012-12-26, 11:23 AM
It's true, Haruki basically built this place. He's pretty excellent.

Eldan
2012-12-26, 11:42 AM
It's still a good forum overall, but to be honest, it's not as great as it may look at first. The moderation keeps it all out of view, but sometimes, there's a ton of resentment just under the surface in certain threads. Plus, there's subforums on here I just never go into, because I can't stand the tone. (Friendly Banter is one I rarely go into, but mostly because I almost never see any interesting topics here.)

Tylorious
2012-12-26, 11:47 AM
It's still a good forum overall, but to be honest, it's not as great as it may look at first. The moderation keeps it all out of view, but sometimes, there's a ton of resentment just under the surface in certain threads. Plus, there's subforums on here I just never go into, because I can't stand the tone. (Friendly Banter is one I rarely go into, but mostly because I almost never see any interesting topics here.)

I see what you mean, but I didn't find any other appropriate places to post this.

Morph Bark
2012-12-26, 11:59 AM
That's the spirit! Now the only thing left for you to do is join my Army of Homebrew Fans and it will all be complete!

Proud Tortoise
2012-12-26, 12:02 PM

Well, how interesting would it be without tons of resentment lurking under the surface? :smalltongue:

Tylorious
2012-12-26, 12:08 PM
I don't understand homebrew though.

Killer Angel
2012-12-26, 01:12 PM

'cause you underestimate the need to fix printed things and to develope your own brand new ideas in a balanced way... :smallwink:

Tylorious
2012-12-26, 02:17 PM
no, i just don't know what it is

Eldan
2012-12-26, 02:20 PM
Homebrew is when people modify the existing rules of the game, or make their own. New worlds, new classes, new magic, new monsters, etc.

Tylorious
2012-12-26, 02:25 PM
That's Cool!

Drakeburn
2012-12-26, 03:19 PM
Homebrew is when people modify the existing rules of the game, or make their own. New worlds, new classes, new magic, new monsters, etc.

So that's what Homebrew is.

Another thing to enjoy about this forum that it is very informative on these sort of topics. If you have questions about Homebrew, roleplaying games, roleplaying systems, etc, this community is THE community to ask.

Wyntonian
2012-12-26, 03:29 PM
I want to second this. I've never seen a better place on the internet. Thank you, all of you. You're the best!

TechnoScrabble
2012-12-26, 03:31 PM
If only DoTA had this nice of a community.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-27, 03:14 AM

'cause you underestimate the need to fix printed things and to develope your own brand new ideas in a balanced way... :smallwink:

no, i just don't know what it is

I'm not sure why, but this exchange made me laugh until I nearly hurt myself. I'm not mocking anyone. It just struck me as inexplicably hilarious.

On topic: this place is indeed great. The fact that the resentments between posters -are- veiled is rather a dramatic step up from most forums, as I understand it.

In any event, how's about a thank you to Rich and the mods for giving us such an awesome place to chat?

Thanks guys.

Killer Angel
2012-12-27, 04:32 AM
I'm not sure why, but this exchange made me laugh until I nearly hurt myself. I'm not mocking anyone. It just struck me as inexplicably hilarious.

Yep, internet misunderstanding can be funny. :smallbiggrin:

In any event, how's about a thank you to Rich and the mods for giving us such an awesome place to chat?

Thanks guys.

It never hurts to be grateful. Thanks, and thumbs up!

willpell
2012-12-27, 04:50 AM
I want to second this. I've never seen a better place on the internet.

I have. :smallmad: What I will admit I have not seen is a place this reasonably decent with anywhere near this large a population. Generally the quality of a crowd's members is inverse to the size of the crowd itself.

Morph Bark
2012-12-27, 05:56 AM

http://cdn2.hark.com/images/000/006/087/6087/original.0

That's Cool!

It really is! If you've got signarutes set to off, then I shall link you to the Homebrew Tier Compendium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245701), which is a collection of base classes people have made that I've gone through and checked. Most are pretty high quality. All of them are at the very least pretty decent. :smallsmile:

Generally the quality of a crowd's members is inverse to the size of the crowd itself.

Curiously enough, this seems not to apply to Naruto forums. Probably due to Inverse Ninja Law.

Mx.Silver
2012-12-27, 09:18 AM

Eh, with large forums tensions are inevitably going to become apparent at some point. Compared to some though this place manages to keep a fairly decent lid on things. Having said that, I don't use that many of the subforums here (I don't really play RPGs, and have never felt the need to discuss the webcomic this site is technically built around) so I may just not be seeing the worst of it.

willpell
2012-12-27, 10:22 AM
Curiously enough, this seems not to apply to Naruto forums. Probably due to Inverse Ninja Law.

Huh. Alas, I am ill-equipped to take advantage of this, given that I have sampled only the tiniest sliver of Naruto and cannot afford to take up such an all-consuming obsession. Got like seven or eight equally expansive things to fixate upon as-is.

Eh, with large forums tensions are inevitably going to become apparent at some point. Compared to some though this place manages to keep a fairly decent lid on things.

I would liken it not so much to keeping a lid on, as to sealing a boiler so that none of its pressure can escape....

Having said that, I don't use that many of the subforums here (I don't really play RPGs, and have never felt the need to discuss the webcomic this site is technically built around) so I may just not be seeing the worst of it.

You are almost certainly not seeing the worst of it. I can say no more while remaining assured of my safety.

Eldan
2012-12-27, 11:57 AM
Huh. Alas, I am ill-equipped to take advantage of this, given that I have sampled only the tiniest sliver of Naruto and cannot afford to take up such an all-consuming obsession. Got like seven or eight equally expansive things to fixate upon as-is.

I would liken it not so much to keeping a lid on, as to sealing a boiler so that none of its pressure can escape....

Eh, it has a valve. It's called banning people when they lose it.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-12-27, 12:11 PM
I definately am glad to have found this community. It's nice to be able to discuss things with people, as I am severely limited in contacts in the place that I live. It's also nice to talk roleplay and homebrew with people, as I get that far less often in the contacts I do have around. :smallsmile: It's just nice to feel I have friends here. Even if we often talk in all nonsense or in puns.

As a result, my writing and attitude in life in general have greatly improved, and I feel it pulled me out of my funk enough that I've been able to get back into dating, and find the wonderful person I'm now with. I owe the community quite a bit more than I'd anticipated. :smallredface:

And the worst part is, I've been following OOTS for forever, I just never clicked on the Forum button to see what it was about. :smallsigh:

Slipperychicken
2012-12-27, 12:43 PM
I like this forum. One can post and quickly get a number of good responses. Also gives me something to do other than reading (and studying :smallbiggrin:). I mostly browse 3.5, RPG general, and Friendly Banter.

Especially when so many other forums give either extremely few, ill-timed, poor responses, whose most recent activity was in 2009.

So thanks a lot for keeping this place nice and tidy.

Tylorious
2012-12-27, 12:46 PM
wow this thread definitely took an unexpected turn

Sholos
2012-12-27, 01:07 PM
I like this forum for what it is. A place to talk (or in my place, read) about non-serious topics. If I want mature discussions of serious topics, I go to other forums.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-12-27, 01:12 PM
I like this forum for what it is. A place to talk (or in my place, read) about non-serious topics. If I want mature discussions of serious topics, I go to other forums.

I disagree, I get many serious conversations on here!

Eldan
2012-12-27, 01:34 PM
I disagree, I get many serious conversations on here!

Hm. Only on very technical subjects relating to RPGs. And even there, I have to hold back. You can't get too much into scientific or philosophical discussions, the rules don't really let you. But then, I just filter out the more or less interesting people I like from the forum and add them on Skype.

And now this thread is doing its best to remind me why I don't usually go into Friendly Banter.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-12-27, 01:43 PM
Hm. Only on very technical subjects relating to RPGs. And even there, I have to hold back. You can't get too much into scientific or philosophical discussions, the rules don't really let you. But then, I just filter out the more or less interesting people I like from the forum and add them on Skype.

And now this htread is doing its best to remind me why I don't usually go into Random Banter.

Ah, noted. Good point, the rules do hamper some conversations. I didn't think of that. I was thinking about creative conversations and discussions on literature and relationship issue advice and so on. Didn't mean to add to any avoidance tendancies.

Bulldog Psion
2012-12-27, 01:46 PM
Well, in my fairly limited experience, this is the best forum community I've been on. Thanks, guys! :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2012-12-27, 02:06 PM
It's just nice to feel I have friends here.

That reminds me. *adds Wombat to buddy list*

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-12-27, 02:34 PM
That reminds me. *adds Wombat to buddy list*

Did that a long time ago for you. Does it really do much?

Amidus Drexel
2012-12-27, 03:15 PM

I dunno, I've gotten by fine without using it.

Morph Bark
2012-12-27, 08:59 PM

I have no clue. It just feels nifty doing so. I rarely use such functions anyway, even on sites that utilize it more. You're the third in my four years here. (Though right after I remembered there were two others that I wanted on there.)

At any rate, this is me telling you you're rad. By your presence and interaction, you therefore make the forum community a little radder.

Even if the forum community here isn't the raddest, there's a good number of people here I'd call rad.

razorback
2012-12-27, 09:32 PM
This captures a lot of how I feel about this site. I have three things I enjoy doing without my family (for various reasons): Rpg's, martial arts, and motorcycles. My experience is this is the best gaming site but is a bit rules heavy compared to the motorcycle sites I frequent but a lot of that has to do with the membership mix. Not as staid as some MA sites and not as wild as some MC sites but a lot of fun. Thanks to Rich and the crew.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-12-28, 06:18 AM
I have no clue. It just feels nifty doing so. I rarely use such functions anyway, even on sites that utilize it more. You're the third in my four years here. (Though right after I remembered there were two others that I wanted on there.)

At any rate, this is me telling you you're rad. By your presence and interaction, you therefore make the forum community a little radder.

Even if the forum community here isn't the raddest, there's a good number of people here I'd call rad.

*Is honored* That means a lot Morph. Thanks!

Anecronwashere
2012-12-28, 06:32 AM
Just popping in to say:
There's a buddy system???

and:
YAY for the forum :smallbiggrin:

North_Ranger
2012-12-28, 06:33 AM
I have two forums that I visit several times a day: One of them is Halforums (http://www.halforums.com/xenforo/portal/). The other is this place - and I enjoy them both to equal measure. Plus, here I have the chance to enjoy Pathfinder games, so that's always a bonus :smallsmile:

I do agree with Eldan, though... about some aspects of the forum moderation. But I can understand the reasoning behind such moderation, having been on that side of the discussion myself. I've seen quite a lot of interesting discussions in other forums (fora?) devolve into pissing matches and name-calling. And those discussions were usually on the 'berserk button' topics: politics, religion and sports... and at one time, cooking :smalltongue: And I'm glad I've yet to see such devolutions here.

So... thank you to Rich, the admins and the moderator squad. I tip my hat at thee.

As for the rest of you lot... eh, you're okay too, you loveable goofballs :smalltongue:

Eldan
2012-12-28, 07:39 AM
And I'm glad I've yet to see such devolutions here.

It seems you haven't been over in the roleplaying forums enough. Just have a look at topics like: "You are all bad roleplayers and munchkins because you optimize too much, a well-played character has to be weak", "You are all bad roleplayers because you don't optimize at all, a well-played character has to be competent at what he does", "My edition is better than your edition", "Older editions were more fun", "Older editions are for old men who never knew what fun is", "You don't know what you are talking about, D&D was never a good game", "My favourite class is best class" and "The Tier System". You often get one or two people banned over those topics.

Anecronwashere
2012-12-28, 07:43 AM
I usually skim over them, they aren't interesting without popcorn and my house has a severe deficit of that :smallfrown:

willpell
2012-12-28, 10:11 AM
And I'm glad I've yet to see such devolutions here.

I would contend that allowing the worst Internet argument physically possible would be a lesser evil, personally. I take the American concept of "free speech" with extreme seriousness. In real life, there's something to be said for the idea that if an argument gets severe enough, you should probably cut it short before people start throwing things. But on the Internet? I'm firmly of the opinion that no amount of dissension can do any real harm, and that having such an outlet for humanity's contentious nature is ultimately crucial to our psychological health.

Clearly, I am in the minority on this....

Anecronwashere
2012-12-28, 10:20 AM
That could work, if there was a subforum/forum the Mods could send the Thread if it devolved into trolling and flame wars
But we dont want newbies and people who don't want to get involved in that stuff to freely and accidently walk in

Or even a Red-Tagged (Flamed) in the title

willpell
2012-12-28, 10:30 AM
That could work, if there was a subforum/forum the Mods could send the Thread if it devolved into trolling and flame wars

I believe I actually suggested such a thing to the Mods once and they refused it. Something about not wanting to do the extra work, and possibly also due to bandwidth issues. The kind of pragmatic trivialities I dismiss as unimportant compared to freedom of expression.

But we dont want newbies and people who don't want to get involved in that stuff to freely and accidently walk in

Why not? They can walk right back out.

Anecronwashere
2012-12-28, 10:34 AM
a) that is a valid choice on their part. the creation of a Troll/Flame forum not to mention having to transfer of them (and the sudden burgeoning of them when the flamers stop being banned AND are given free reign to do so)

b) It's harsh for a newbie to walk into a flame war. And confusing if they see the same names in other threads that aren't Flaming. Also gives a bad impression
And it's a waste of reading time, not everyone has infinite free time, nor will their time spent on here affect any other free time usage they have

pffh
2012-12-28, 10:37 AM
I believe I actually suggested such a thing to the Mods once and they refused it. Something about not wanting to do the extra work, and possibly also due to bandwidth issues. The kind of pragmatic trivialities I dismiss as unimportant compared to freedom of expression.

The problem is though that the arguments will eventually spill out into the other forums. Lets say person 1 has political opinion X and hates everyone with political opinion Y because clearly they are all idiots for not seeing that X is so much superior to Y. Person 1 then goes into that subforum and sees a thread by person 2 about how opinion Y is so much better than X. From now on any discussion between person 1 and 2 in any thread will be shadowed by that fact. Religion and political opinions overshadow almost any other opinions people hold dear.

Besides freedom of speech does not cover private forums such as this one.

Roland St. Jude
2012-12-28, 10:45 AM
You are very welcome. I will just go ahead and take credit for it, because I'm that awesome. *sagenod*

It's true, Haruki basically built this place. He's pretty excellent.I've heard that said.

Sheriff: There you have it, folks. Please direct all complaints to Haruki-kin. :smallwink:

Seriously, though, please direct your complaints about the Forum Rules or specific acts of moderation to me via PM.

This forum is perfect for some, very good for others, tolerable for others, and completely unacceptably to some others. It just depends what you're looking for in a forum.