PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Champion of Gwynharwyf

Daebu
2012-12-26, 10:08 AM
Help with a Champion of Gwynharwyf build.

Greetings Playgrounders! I'm looking for the finishing touches on a Champ of Gwyn build that I've been trying to put together for a potential replacement character to the one I'm using now. The intent would be to be a frontline melee combatant with decent skill selection and some low level spells.

The group I'm with has some homebrew rules, including slightly relaxed skill point rules. The books in play are Expanded Core, Complete series, ToB and Races Series. Any other material must be asked for and vetted first. In this situation it's often best to try and ask for outside material as little as possible, and from sources that are as well known as possible.

Currently the build is to be: Dwarf Ranger1/Barbarian4/Deepwarden2/ChampionofGwynharwyf8. In response to needing sufficient Wis and Cha, I've used a build that allows me to dump Dex and can get sufficient skill points without need for high Int.

At the moment the last five levels are to be CoG+1/Swordsage4. Wis to AC to complement the Con to AC, and some medium level maneuvers. Since the campaign is spending significant time underground, Stone Dragon will fit the theme of the character while not sacrificing too much power. The bonus to Ref/Will saves will help as well.

However, I'm not married to anything here; In particular the last 5 levels. The extra level of CoG is not necessary, and SS doesn't *quite* fit the theme. It's just so useful. I'd like to keep the essence of the build, as well as the Deepwarden and CoG levels. Any suggestions?
What feats should I be looking at taking? Are there any classes out there that would really help this build along?

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-26, 10:17 AM
Have you considered using Swordsage as an entry to Deepstone Sentinel?

Daebu
2012-12-26, 10:51 AM
Have you considered using Swordsage as an entry to Deepstone Sentinel?

In fact, no I hadn't. I completely forgot it existed. :smallredface: I like it, and the stone theme definitely fits. The "slow to anger" and not being a charger fluff would need to be ignored or reworked. (What is a barbarian if not an raging charger?) Fort as the strong save fits with the class, but doesn't help my character so much. Considering both crunch and fluff I'd say that it fits about as well as straight SS.

Are there any non-initiator classes that might help? I'd considered FotF, but being underground so much really puts a damper on that one. :smallfrown:

Darius Kane
2012-12-28, 11:10 PM
Try squeezing in one level of Fist of the Forest for more Con to AC.

Daebu
2013-01-20, 12:08 PM
Try squeezing in one level of Fist of the Forest for more Con to AC.

As I mentioned in the post before yours, we're running a campaign that is largely underground (in a constructed dungeon) and my DM will most certainly impose the loss of all abilities after 3 sleeps. So FotF is out. :smallfrown: Thanks for the effort though.

I've since decided on a couple levels of Stalker of Kharash and one of Forest Reeve. FE: Arcanist and FE: Evil with Nemesis means that my crew will be rarely completely surprised by enemies that are truly dangerous. And after he made an exception for BoED as a sourcebook for this character, it should be relatively easy to pick this up. Forest Reeve will increase my weak move speed. Together, they will shore up one of my weaker (Ref) Saves, they keep my BAB high, and keep my skill point totals high. They also share prereqs with the other classes I have already gone for.

Fluff wise they fit well since CoG is a "good aligned" version of Barbarian with some spells thrown in. SoK is a "good aligned" version of Ranger, and Forest Reeve links up nicely with this too.

At this point I'm considering asking for a half-celestial template or some celestial bloodlines (UA), since this is obviously the direction this character is leaning. Picking up Mettle or Evasion may also be helpful, although I can get either of those in ring form.

So now I'm only looking to complete a maximum of 2 levels.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-20, 12:13 PM
Are you basing this on Shield dwarf or Gold dwarf?

Daebu
2013-01-21, 10:08 AM
Are you basing this on Shield dwarf or Gold dwarf?

Just the regular shield dwarf at the moment. Do I presume you are suggesting I take the penalty to Dex instead of Cha? It makes sense well enough.

Edit: wrote Con when I mean Cha.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-21, 10:25 AM
Just the regular shield dwarf at the moment. Do I presume you are suggesting I take the penalty to Dex instead of Con? It makes sense well enough.

Indeed, especially since you mentioned dumping Dex.

Might require refluffing, but have you looking at the Eldeen Rangers (Greensingers sect)? Although it has a fey focus, it gives Unearthly Grace (AKA Divine Grace) at third level, along with Resist Nature's lure.

Daebu
2013-01-21, 10:43 AM
Indeed, especially since you mentioned dumping Dex.

Might require refluffing, but have you looking at the Eldeen Rangers (Greensingers sect)? Although it has a fey focus, it gives Unearthly Grace (AKA Divine Grace) at third level, along with Resist Nature's lure.

I admit I had never even heard of it. Although I get Divine Grace from CoG already (and it doesn't stack, correct?), and I'd like to keep the Barbarian in this fellow. I need to look into that though, as I could potentially come up with another character concept. Thanks for the thoughts, I'll look it up. :)

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-21, 10:49 AM
I admit I had never even heard of it. Although I get Divine Grace from CoG already (and it doesn't stack, correct?), and I'd like to keep the Barbarian in this fellow. I need to look into that though, as I could potentially come up with another character concept. Thanks for the thoughts, I'll look it up. :)

Actually, it should stack, as it comes from a different source (it's called Unearthly Grace, as opposed to Divine Grace).

It's a ranger-focused prestige class, with different abilities depending on your chosen sect. Eberron Campaign Setting.