PDA

View Full Version : Interesting but Scary

Tylorious
2012-12-26, 02:36 PM
Disney officially owns LucasArts now, They have made some fairly good movies such as Pirates, The Avengers, The Iron Man series, and we can't forget the Mighty Ducks movies. But now they have said they are going to make an Episode VII for Star Wars. I am kind of excited if not just a little apprehensive (sp?) about this. On one hand, Pirates has the same kind of feel as the star wars movies with the comedy-laden action sequences and the rollercoaster of events. But on the other hand, if they follow George Lucas's script for Episode VII, Things will happen that I dont want to see:

Luke turns to the dark side and bad things happen.

Any thoughts from any of you?

Bulldog Psion
2012-12-26, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately, there's already a thread about this.

Tylorious
2012-12-27, 07:05 AM
My apologies

Traab
2012-12-27, 09:55 AM
Its not like its on the front page or anything. No reason why he cant start up a new one instead of relying on a thread that hasnt gotten a post in a month.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-27, 10:10 AM
A friend postulated a theory that makes sense to me, that geek's devotion is a freaking gold mine and Disney wants in on that. More in on that.
Personally, given how well Disney has done with Marvel and how badly Lucas did with the last films, I can see this actually going surprisingly well.

Aotrs Commander
2012-12-31, 09:29 AM
My own opinion is that since this will almost certainly over-write the Best Bits of Star Wars (Thrawn trilogy, TIE Fighter and the X-Wing novels), I don't care. Not so fussed about the rest of the EU, but Thrawn et al is an absolute deal-breaker.

I might be lenient if Thrawn still exists in the new continuity, and gets a suitably grandiose amount of screen time.

Also, I can see it more likely to be centred on the Jedi (like the Clone Wars CGI, which is pretty much about the Jedi with non-Jedi being the supporting cast at best), rather than as the aformentioned Best Bits were, being a story about space warfare with some jedi in important roles, which is subtly different. And I ain't, ultimately, interested in magic space samurai for their own sake, particularly, nor do I think lightsabres are all that awesome: the vehicles - i.e. the elements that are most sci-fi - were always what first held my interests.

I may actually bother to watch 'em if there are some spectacular, and I mean SPECTACULAR, like 10%-of-running-time-plus-solid, starship battles.

Drakeburn
2012-12-31, 09:49 AM
Disney officially owns LucasArts now, They have made some fairly good movies such as Pirates, The Avengers, The Iron Man series, and we can't forget the Mighty Ducks movies.

I think The Avengers and Iron Man were made by Marvel and Marvel alone. Disney had nothing to do with those movies.

hamishspence
2012-12-31, 10:05 AM
My own opinion is that since this will almost certainly over-write the Best Bits of Star Wars (Thrawn trilogy, TIE Fighter and the X-Wing novels), I don't care. Not so fussed about the rest of the EU, but Thrawn et al is an absolute deal-breaker.

I might be lenient if Thrawn still exists in the new continuity, and gets a suitably grandiose amount of screen time.

There's a lot of speculation at the moment- seems likely they'll reuse Hamill, Fisher & Ford- in which case they could set it after most of the current EU.

Fragenstein
2012-12-31, 11:38 AM

Huh....

"After the Disney announcement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy), Zahn's trilogy had been speculated as the basis for the new trilogies, but Zahn stated that the Thrawn trilogy would fall into the gap between Episode VI and Episode VII."

So it sounds like Thrawn has room to replace Clone Wars. Which, if so, I'd love for them to give it back to Genndy Taratakovsky. He would produce a most awesome Thrawn.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-31, 03:05 PM
True, but they were still done when Disney owned Marvel, or at least Avengers was.
Disney is *smart* they know when to take a hands off approach and executive meddling can, sometimes, be a good thing.

Brother Oni
2012-12-31, 06:05 PM
Luke turns to the dark side and bad things happen.

I believe that there was a Dark Horse comic series where this happened, specifically with a cloned Palpatine and Luke learning how to use the Dark Side under him.

Wiki indicates it was called Dark Empire.

Codyage
2012-12-31, 06:47 PM
I have always been fond over the idea of the Galaxy of Fear being made into a cartoon or live action movie. But there are numerous reasons why Galaxy of Fear won't be made into the new Star Wars movie, all though an animated series does seem like it could do well for Disney.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-31, 07:02 PM
I have always been fond over the idea of the Galaxy of Fear being made into a cartoon or live action movie. But there are numerous reasons why Galaxy of Fear won't be made into the new Star Wars movie, all though an animated series does seem like it could do well for Disney.
What are the movies now but animated movies with a few human characters gawking at green screen?:smallamused:

Ozfer
2013-01-06, 07:57 PM
EDIT- Nvm, carry on.

Raimun
2013-01-06, 08:38 PM
I believe that there was a Dark Horse comic series where this happened, specifically with a cloned Palpatine and Luke learning how to use the Dark Side under him.

Wiki indicates it was called Dark Empire.

Yes, Dark Empire. Palpatine survived with forbidden dark side abilities and convinced Luke to turn to dark side. I'm not actually sure how well this would translate. I think they will make something completely new.

Of course, if *I* could decide there would be a Kyle Katarn Trilogy. Complete with confusing numberings, including two Episode VIII's, both having also a sub-numbering of II. 10th would have no numbering and VII wouldn't actually follow chronological order, unlike the rest of the films.

Tvtyrant
2013-01-06, 10:14 PM
What are the movies now but animated movies with a few human characters gawking at green screen?:smallamused:

Very true... Maybe we need to start demanding more humans in film?

Karoht
2013-01-07, 01:52 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_lasseter#Lucasfilm.2FPixar
John Lassetter used to work for Lucasfilm. Prior to being in charge of Pixar, and now he's VP of Disney.
The guy who's resume includes Up, Incredibles, Toy Story, Wreck-It Ralph, Wall-E. A self-proclaimed nerd who has been involved in more award winning films than George Lucas EVER had his name attached too.
And we are worried about what might happen to Star Wars?

IMO, couldn't be in safer hands.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-08, 01:42 PM
Most appropriate place to put this, given it doesn't really warrent a thread of it's own...

That didn't take long.

Disney just started advertising an episode of A.N.T. Farm with Threepio and Artoo (and a Stormtrooper) in it.

That was, what, two-three months? And this is advertised in the UK, which probably means it's behind the US. They moved pretty quick to get that organised, didn't they?

Admittedly, it's possible they might have started before the merger, but it seems less likely.